News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Murphy

Talking Stick Greens
« on: January 06, 2014, 03:44:44 PM »
Anyone know what was done with Talking Stick greens? Sub-air? Played in December and were almost as firm as anything I have ever played.

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Talking Stick Greens
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »
I THINK that they have recently converted to a ultradwarf. This may be the reason they are very firm. (No thatch)
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom Yost

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 05:41:45 PM »
Anyone know what was done with Talking Stick greens? Sub-air? Played in December and were almost as firm as anything I have ever played.

You played the South course, right? They re-turfed the greens this summer, MiniVerde, I believe.

The North course greens were redone two years ago.

I could be wrong but i don't think there is any need for sub-air in Arizona.

Greg Murphy

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 07:09:42 PM »
Yes, Tom, it was South Course - I don't know any particulars about sub-air but noticed on a couple of greens what appeared to be a drainage exit though on the high side of the green which seemed odd - in any event, quite a nice putting surface - and the firmness certainly adds to the chipping and pitching challenge as well as the play from the many deep green side bunkers - also demands precisely struck irons to the South course's semi-raised greens.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 04:29:54 PM »
It will be interesting to see if that firmness can be maintained. I've played on many new surfaces that were very firm ... for a year or so.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »
Yes, Tom, it was South Course - I don't know any particulars about sub-air but noticed on a couple of greens what appeared to be a drainage exit though on the high side of the green which seemed odd - in any event, quite a nice putting surface - and the firmness certainly adds to the chipping and pitching challenge as well as the play from the many deep green side bunkers - also demands precisely struck irons to the South course's semi-raised greens.

Greg,

Perhaps what you saw on the high side of the green was a clean-out, a feature of USGA greens, allowing the main drain line to be flushed clean if required.

TK

Greg Murphy

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:09:11 PM »
Thanks Tyler - I think Canada's own Rod Whitman may have done quite a bit of the shaping and construction management there - though I think it is the exception rather than the rule for C&C to build USGA greens it would not surprise me at all if they used that method at the Talking Stick site which is like a flat counter top made out of rock - Anthony's comment that the firmness is probably a function of lack of thatch I expect is spot on - and it will be interesting to see as Matthew notes, whether the firmness can be maintained or indeed whether an effort will be made to maintain the firmness, as I hear the club house staff have been getting a lot of questions and probably more negative than positive - it is just so out of the ordinary for the average player. The only greens I can recall that were at least as firm, if not firmer, after a few years of play, were those at Sagebrush - Prairie Club Dunes and Ballyneal probably comparable (though the firmness there is countered somewhat by the speed) but the expectations of players at places like that is so much different.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 10:49:36 PM »
I'm not even sure firm greens would be the goal for the South course. Most greens are pushed up; it's designed to be more of a traditional parkland type course, not a lot of holes there where bouncing it in is the best option, and if the fairways aren't maintained for it then it's really not going to happen.

Brian Joines

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 06:57:41 PM »
I played both courses about a week ago and agree that the South's greens were the firmest I had ever played. It was not possible to  leave a pitch mark on those surfaces.

The North's greens have grown in over the last year or two. While still firm, it was not near as extreme as the South.

Dave Givnish

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 06:15:30 PM »
Paradise Valley CC, Phoenix CC, and Arizona CC have all switched to Bermuda greens, and all have been able to maintain great playing surfaces even during the summer heat. I thought that Phoenix and TS North were both very firm when I played them last summer.

Did TS oversees the greens? PV has been dying the greens for the last few years and the members love them.

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 11:42:44 PM »
Firm? You are being nice. They were somewhat like rock when I played there in November. I know firm greens, and these were not firm.

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 05:51:14 PM »
I played Talking Stick North 2 days ago.  The bag boys said those greens were 2 years old, and they almost lost them last year when they tried to overseed.  They were not going to try again perhaps until next fall.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back