News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_ Crisham

Re: naples area
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 10:39:31 AM »
Old Corkscrew 'uninspiring"?  That is the last word I would use to describe it. Tremendous waste of money, goofy greens and lunch stealing rodents, throw in overpriced beer at the end and I will never go back.

Maybe if you play it a few times you develop a taste for it, but going back in April and it's not on the play list. I thought The Colony was a better course and it is half the price.
+1-     Calusa is in a different league due to superior elevation changes/movement to the property that is just not seen in South Florida. Hideout is pretty strong but there is a reason why Calusa is 165K to join - its undeniably the best course in SW Florida. Old Corkscrew is just a bad design ,period. On the public side Tiburon is a good option.

The elevation changes and land movement are fake.  You dont see that anywhere else because it doesnt exist in a drained swamp.  

I think the golf course at Hideout is better than Calusa.  It is more strategic and thought provoking, not to mention, more fun.  If I ever lived in Naples again I'd be content as can be to have the privilege to play Hideout on a regular basis.

JC,  Wouldn't you rather have elevation/created land movements versus a typical dead flat Florida course? Flat can be very good as is evidenced by Hideout and Pine Tree. I felt the elevation changes at Calusa were very natural appearing- similar to a Carolina course. Terry is correct that Calusa is much more difficult -primarily the green and bunker complexes. When I get older Calusa might be too difficult as my game inevitably slips and the case can be made the The Hideout would be much more user friendly.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »
If you're looking for public access courses, I think the best ones are closer to Marco Island. The Marriott owns 2 courses called The Rookery and Hammock Bay. Sort of semiprivate but I believe they allow public access. IMO Hammock Bay is better than most private clubs I've played in the Naples-area.

TPC Treviso Bay is open to the public after getting destroyed as a private club by the housing bust. It was in awesome shape when I played it.

I've played Calusa Pines and the Golf Club of the Everglades, which are next door to one another. GCE is a golf-only walkable track, but I know Rees Jones isn't a favorite here.  

Haven't played The Hideout but now I'm intrigued, would love to play it. There is another one called Hole in the Wall that I think is kind of an old money Naples course. Dick Wilson.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 10:46:59 AM »
Also, don't waste your money at the Naples Beach Club golf course.

Lely Flamingo Island isn't bad.

If any GCAers want to grab a round somewhere, I'll be there March 19-25.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 12:25:07 PM »
One that's overlooked in this list is Hole-in-the-Wall.  Supposed to be quite good.

JC Jones

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 12:41:59 PM »

JC,  Wouldn't you rather have elevation/created land movements versus a typical dead flat Florida course? Flat can be very good as is evidenced by Hideout and Pine Tree. I felt the elevation changes at Calusa were very natural appearing- similar to a Carolina course. Terry is correct that Calusa is much more difficult -primarily the green and bunker complexes. When I get older Calusa might be too difficult as my game inevitably slips and the case can be made the The Hideout would be much more user friendly.

I prefer courses that fit with the land on which they are built and require thought and strategy to play.  So, to answer your question, Calusa is not something that interests me because it absolutely doesn't fit with the land, doesn't look natural to me at all and I found it to be difficult for difficult's sake and pretty monotonous.  Hideout, for me, has its challenge based around the angles and the bunkering.  I felt it was a course I had to think my way around to score well as opposed to just hitting the same shots.  I remember saying to my caddie at Calusa, somewhere around the 13th or 14th hole, "I feel like I've had this same approach all day." 

I have not had the fortune of playing Pine Tree but it is on my Florida bucket list.  My problem with Florida courses has always been with those that are overbuilt and unnatural.  With my next go around as a resident of the state, I'm looking forward to seeking out the older and perhaps less heralded courses to see what they are like.  Thank goodness for Sven's awesome thread!

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2014, 12:53:52 PM »

I prefer courses that fit with the land on which they are built and require thought and strategy to play.  So, to answer your question, Calusa is not something that interests me because it absolutely doesn't fit with the land, doesn't look natural to me at all and I found it to be difficult for difficult's sake and pretty monotonous.  Hideout, for me, has its challenge based around the angles and the bunkering.  I felt it was a course I had to think my way around to score well as opposed to just hitting the same shots.  I remember saying to my caddie at Calusa, somewhere around the 13th or 14th hole, "I feel like I've had this same approach all day." 

I have not had the fortune of playing Pine Tree but it is on my Florida bucket list.  My problem with Florida courses has always been with those that are overbuilt and unnatural.  With my next go around as a resident of the state, I'm looking forward to seeking out the older and perhaps less heralded courses to see what they are like.  Thank goodness for Sven's awesome thread!

Try Mountain Lake - it has some very nice movement that Raynor did a commendable  job with. Great Redan, Biarritz, and Punchbowl set of greens. For less heralded try Dunes of Seville. Best public bang for your buck in Florida.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2014, 01:20:17 PM »
Have been going down to Naples for 22 years.
 and have a place in Bonita Springs.

200 courses alone in Collier County, but most are uninspiring.
Need to make distinction between public access, "semi-private" and private.

Private courses have been covered above.
Semi-private courses can vary and I dont know which ones offer it or not any more.

As for public access:

1. The Norman course at the Ritz - Tiburon. 27 holes and a bit pricey.
2. The Floyd course at the Hyatt in Estero. I think it's called the Raptor Bay.
3. The Lely courses south of Naples are a good bet.

Pelican Nest in Bonita Springs has 36 holes (Fazio) and is worth playing and probably accessible.
I also think that La Playa (Rees Jones) is semi-private resort course that is better than most.

Bonita Bay East is a great option if it is indeed semi-private now.
Windstar (very close to downtown) is a Fazio that is probably semi-private now.
Most other courses (not mentioned above in other posts) are all very similar.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »
Ian,

Windstar is semi-private now? Wow. I remember playing there in '06 and the initiation fee was 80k. How times have changed.

I liked the course, seemed tighter than most Fazios

Jason Topp

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 03:52:37 PM »
Old Corkscrew is worth playing.  It is just a difficult golf course.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 06:04:14 PM »
Old Corkscrew is worth playing.  It is just a difficult golf course.
Pine Valley is difficult, OC is just plain goofy.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
Ian,

Windstar is semi-private now? Wow. I remember playing there in '06 and the initiation fee was 80k. How times have changed.

I liked the course, seemed tighter than most Fazios

My folks live in Windstar. I don't think it's semi private, but I believe the initiation is more like $10k now.

I played the course twice a few years ago. I walked all the way around it on the cart path this past Christmas when it was closed for the holiday.

It really is awful. Almost every hole has water hazards and ob and narrow fairways. The greens are small and most are raised. I think you have to be very good and able to hit it straight to enjoy your round there.

I stopped bringing my clubs to Naples years ago.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 08:10:23 PM »
As your attorney, I advise you to look elsewhere. Plenty of places to take your dad golfing!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 08:25:21 PM »

Try Mountain Lake - it has some very nice movement that Raynor did a commendable  job with. Great Redan, Biarritz, and Punchbowl set of greens. For less heralded try Dunes of Seville. Best public bang for your buck in Florida.

It was not me, but The Black Hand put JC on the "dark list" years ago at Mountain Lake. JC would have to buy about 875,000 pounds of oranges to see Mountain Lake.

JC,

Don't kill the messenger!

tomgoutman

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2014, 05:24:37 PM »
Just joined Hideout a couple of months ago. Great track, excellent course conditioning, super club experience. No tee times. Can get a game any time. Organized games four days a week where you pay $35 dollars into a pool (100% of which is given back in money prizes) and get paired randomly with another member. Great way for a snowbird to meet people. Lots of Philly guys but also lots of guys from upstate New York and the midwest. Love it.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2014, 05:59:58 PM »
It really seems like a great club and is more like a Carolina/Georgia look on the golf course. ThT is a good thing IMHO.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 06:30:18 PM »
Just joined Hideout a couple of months ago. Great track, excellent course conditioning, super club experience. No tee times. Can get a game any time. Organized games four days a week where you pay $35 dollars into a pool (100% of which is given back in money prizes) and get paired randomly with another member. Great way for a snowbird to meet people. Lots of Philly guys but also lots of guys from upstate New York and the midwest. Love it.
Are the Kent boys still there. Moe and Larry, have to love their moms sense of humor . Was populated with philly guys.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

archie_struthers

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 08:11:01 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Hideout  is a fun place , impeccably maintained , and well conceived by the developers /owners.  Larry and Mo Kent (Philly guys)  and Larry Bird (basketball? ) are the owners last time I checked .  

They get it , it's real golf , unencumbered by too many rules, other than golf rules .  Kelly did a wonderful job on a fairly average site .  Well done to all involved and good fortune to be a member or guest !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back