News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean McCue

Re: The value of a great Green Keeper
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2014, 04:19:54 PM »

And a great greenskeeper should only been seen at the end of the day.  Preferably at a local bar.

and the best members are those who pay their fees but never play ;)

Touche
Be sure to visit my blog at www.cccpgcm.blogspot.com and follow me on twitter @skmqu

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »

And a great greenskeeper should only been seen at the end of the day.  Preferably at a local bar.

and the best members are those who pay their fees but never play ;)

I could not agree more. Sadly that generation is dying off.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2014, 09:49:51 AM »
The course should not depend on a great green keeper. It should be maintained such that any capable pro can handle the job.
Wow thats going to take some beating for "most stupid comment of the year"

Already?

But it's only the 7th January......  ;)

Yes, but that quote is an almost certain winner, so remember it come December.

My favorite (among many) green keeper quotes are that they are like left tackles...no one mentions their name until they screw up.

BTW, I think the term is golf course superintendent these days......and in the old days, I think Ran has it right.  Green keeper, not greens keeper.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2014, 11:23:23 AM »
Jeff,

it depends where you are. Here it is still Head Greenkeeper or Course Manager is the modern trend. I think you will find that in Old Tom's day it was 'Keeper of the Green' ;)

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2014, 01:04:26 PM »
Don't they call the role 'Curator' in Aussie?
ATB

Matt Day

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2014, 06:43:57 PM »
ATB
Thomas
they're known as course superintendents, curators are generally looking after cricket wickets.

http://www.agcsa.com.au/

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2014, 07:22:19 PM »
An analogy - An architect paints the painting.  The Green Keeper frames it and places it in a gallery where it can be seen and appreciated.

Of course the Green Keeper's "gallery" is a living thing that changes each and every day.

Patrick_Sisk,_CGCS

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2014, 01:05:12 PM »
Dan Herrmann wrote:
"Of course the Green Keeper's "gallery" is a living thing that changes each and every day."

The value of a "great Green Keeper" solely lies in their ability to promote the recovery of a golf course from stressful events.  Programs implemented today have a great impact on tomorrow's product.  The character, or ability, of a man can be clearly defined when the chips are down.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2014, 01:16:56 PM »
ATB
Thomas
they're known as course superintendents, curators are generally looking after cricket wickets.

http://www.agcsa.com.au/

Graeme Grant used to use "curator," when I first went to Kingston Heath.

Frank Giordano

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »
Quote from Jeff Brauer:

My favorite (among many) green keeper quotes are that they are like left tackles...no one mentions their name until they screw up.

Jeff,

My personal favorite was the praise the director of golf heaped on the course superintendent at the Tropicana  course in Las Vegas: "He can grow grass on a bowling ball."

RDecker

« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2014, 07:00:15 AM »
If anyone still cares to know, the Cadenelli's grew up in Lee, MA and started their careers at my little Donald Ross gem Greenock CC.  There are 3 of them Steve, Bruce and Eric and they are UMass grads I believe.  Quality men who all started in the business before it got
crazy out there, when guys did it because they loved getting dirty and making a few bucks in the process.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back