News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sherma

Re: Handicapping a match from different tees
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2014, 09:33:33 PM »
One of my favorites is the guy that slaps it around on the green up to his max once he's out of the hole but buckles down and consistently one or two putts when it matters. The difference between 40-44 and 32-36 putts around is significant.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2014, 09:38:38 PM »
One of my favorites is the guy that slaps it around on the green up to his max once he's out of the hole but buckles down and consistently one or two putts when it matters. The difference between 40-44 and 32-36 putts around is significant.

Knuthies love posting their scores on the internet then collecting trophies in person. The current system was not built for anonymous posting of scores. Dean didn't see the internet coming.

Sean_A

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2014, 02:58:48 AM »
When I play a match against a 6 (and I'm a 16) the negociation generally results in about eight stokes. Maybe 7 strokes if it's my home course and not his. And sure enough, I will win about as often as the other guy. Now if you go full 100% handicap difference in match play that's usually a slight edge for the guy getting the strokes. But somewhere around 3/4 of the difference seems to give 50/50 chances more or less.

Brent

I haven't inspected the data, but maybe 5-10 years ago CONGU switched from 3/4 handicap in matchplay to full handicap difference.  The reason being low cappers were winning a higher percentage (don't know the percentage) of matches than thought reasonable given they were handicapped matches.  

Unless there are extenuating circumstances, I very rarely see guys trying to grab more strokes in a match than allowed by CONGU.  It doesn't make much sense to have a handicapping system then not follow it  :o; in my experience, usually it works fine. In the US, it would seem guys are often ignoring the handicapping rules and figuring out their own shots.  That to me is a sure sign the system doesn't work.  That said,  we all know the greater the difference in handicaps, the less confident wew should be in the system's accuracy.  Hence, in the UK, if possible, two divisions are set up along the lines of the handicap divisions.  I don't know which handicaps fall into the divisions, but I think its something like this (I am wrong, but you get the idea)

Category 1: 0-6
Cat 2: 7-14
Cat 3: 15-to whatever

I think adjustments and handicap cut amounts are different for each category.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

archie_struthers

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2014, 07:49:01 AM »
 8) ;D :D

Ok , we play our matches at home for a little bit of cash , not a lot , but it's competitive. We have on a typical summer afternoon 20-30 players in the game. Everything in the hole , strict rules of golf . We have a diverse group both age wise and ability wise . Our best player is a +1 the worst a 28 .  So it's hard to play tees that everyone enjoys on a daily basis.

So we have come to an accommodation .  Most of the B players play the white tees (6100 plus or minus ). The A players tend to play the blue tees (6500)  .  However the players that play the back tees are given an extra shot on their handicap for al their  individual matches . We try not to have players playing different tees within a foursome if at all possible.  When the A players started getting beat up I their individual matches we made a single change , everyone now plays the same tees on the par threes . It seems to have made everything as close to fair as possible and still fun for all .

Mark Pearce

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2014, 08:15:22 AM »
maybe 5-10 years ago CONGU switched from 3/4 handicap in matchplay to full handicap difference.  The reason being low cappers were winning a higher percentage (don't know the percentage) of matches than thought reasonable given they were handicapped matches.
[/quote]
Since that change CONGU have conducted another study which showed that, even at full allowance, the vast majority (over 95%, I believe) of club matchplay competitions were still being won by low handicappers.
Category 1: 0-6
Cat 2: 7-14
Cat 3: 15-to whatever
I think Cat 2 goes to 12, Cat 3 from 13 to 18 and Cat 4 over 18.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2014, 11:03:55 AM »

Knuthies love posting their scores on the internet then collecting trophies in person. The current system was not built for anonymous posting of scores. Dean didn't see the internet coming.

Knuth's system specifies policing of the scores by the club. Your complaint is not with Knuth or the internet, it is with the clubs.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2014, 11:13:42 AM »
Please, in today's job market you can not expect a pro to police this broken handicap system.  If you piss off five cheaters a year three years down the road you will have 15 pissed off members show up at a board meeting and lose your job.  Cheaters are always the most vocal douche for souls in the club.

I mean look at you.  If I were on a board it would be easier to fire a pro than listen to this load of crap meeting after meeting.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:18:12 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2014, 11:24:22 AM »
Please, in today's job market you can not expect a pro to police this broken handicap system.  If you piss off five cheaters a year three years down the road you will have 15 pissed off members show up at a board meeting and lose your job.  Cheaters are always the most vocal douche for souls in the club.

I mean look at you.  If I were on a board it would be easier to fire a pro than listen to this load of crap meeting after meeting.

Why would the pro be doing the policing? It is the governing body of the club that is responsible for doing the policing. Is your board taking the easy way out by pawning it off on the pro?

Most clubs don't even have a pro, because they are clubs without real estate. I cringe when I read the thread Bogey started and find people joining clubs on the internet and not even knowing their fellow members so the policing can take place. If the USGA is actually sanctioning these clubs then it is the USGA's fault. I did notice at least one that was not sanctioned by the USGA whose members were getting their handicaps recognized by tournaments.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back