News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Royal Ottawa: Did This (Harry) Colt Never Leave the Stable?
« on: January 02, 2014, 11:22:42 AM »
The Royal Ottawa Golf Club is located in Canada and is very old.  The Club's web page indicates the course is the work of Tom Bendelow and Willie Park:

The original Course architect was Tom Bendelow of Chicago, who at the time was a leader in the industry. The original design was subsequently amended by Willie Park Jr., winner of the British Open in 1887 and 1897.

In April of 1913 the following report suggests changes are being contemplated, and Harry Colt has been contacted:

In May of that year another article with the title "New Links for Royal Ottawa GC" appeared:

Well, that sure sounds promising.  

However, the article indicates a drawback to the current course is six holes are facing the west, and that Colt wants to re-route the course, starting #1 at what is the current 14th green.

But here is the current layout according to the Club's webpage:

That seems to show six holes running to the west, and the 14th green still just north of the clubhouse.  So maybe the changes were never made?

Figuring out what might have happened here took more digging.  Later in 1913 is this article primarily about Colt's course in Toronto:

Near the bottom of the first column of the above article is written that in part due to the cost, the Royal Ottawa club has put off the decision for the work to the upcoming annual meeting.

In February of 1914 an article suggests that it is unlikely Colts' plans will be adopted for current financial reasons:

I'm waiting for the Club's history book to arrive via interlibrary loan see if they wrote at all about the above.  I've contacted the Club to discuss these findings but have yet to receive a reply.  I'll update when more info is available.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:10:08 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ian Andrew

Re: Did This Colt Never Leave the Stable?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 11:52:10 AM »
Joe,

I have all of the Canadian Golfer Magazines from 1915 to 1940 completely indexed by course and architect.
I'll get you an answer in the next day or two.

Ian
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Joe Bausch

Re: Did This Colt Never Leave the Stable?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »
Joe,

I have all of the Canadian Golfer Magazines from 1915 to 1940 completely indexed by course and architect.
I'll get you an answer in the next day or two.

Ian

Thanks Ian.

When we find the Colt plans for Royal Ottawa, can we propose the work be done 101 years later?  You'd be willing to take on this renovation, no?!

;D

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Royal Ottawa: Did This (Harry) Colt Never Leave the Stable?
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 02:08:34 PM »
Funny Joe, my friend Al Schwemler - superintendent at The Toronto Golf Club - just sent me a copy of the 'Fun Golf Course at Toronto' article you've posted. (I'm thinking someone saw it here and sent it to Al!)

Anyway, this is very, very interesting. I'm pretty certain that Colt's plan was not implemented at Royal Ottawa. The property, there, has great potential though; I'd love to see this Colt plan. In fact, I'm going to do some digging around on this, too...

P.S. I have the club history in front of me, now, in my office… there doesn't seem to be mention of Colt, on quick glance.
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
Royal Ottawa's clubhouse burned to the ground twice though, in 1909 and 1930. The Colt plan probably went up in flames during the second fire, I'm guessing. (Hope not.)
jeffmingay.com

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 03:07:55 PM »
From Canadian Golfer:
Vol 3, No. 2, June 1917

(Part of a large six page profile on the club)

"Originally laid out by well know golf architect, Tom Bendelow of Chicago, the links have been recently stiffened up a great deal, although by this respect they can still be further improved by planning additional traps and bunkers."

1918 (published annual minutes) - mentions work on 15th and 16th holes, no architect mentioned

1921 (published annual minutes) - new 7th and 11th greens, money donated by individual members - no architect mentioned

1923 (published annual minutes) - new greens at 2nd, 13th and 15th - new nine added - no architect mentioned

1925 - Canadian Amateur at club - major profile piece

-in profile it mentions the 16th and 17th holes being dramatically toughened up

"Numerous improvements have been made to the links since the Canadian Amateur was last held at Royal Ottawa in 1914. Several years ago, Willie Park Jr., the well known golf architect, prepared plans under which the links in their present lay-out could substantially improved.These plans were so made as to enable certain improvements being carried out in successive years, and, at the present time, the majority of the improvement plans by Park have been completed."

-the piece also mentions the new greens of previous years being built.

Therefore - my opinion - Never left the Stable

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 10:50:39 AM »
I realized I should have noted my last entry better than I did. All the notes are taken from Canadian Golfer Magazine (the year is indicated for each entry) and that includes the minutes from the annual meetings. I always enjoyed the fact that they were part of the early magazine. There's a lot of interesting information hidden in these magazines.

When I get old and cranky, I should pull all this early history together and talk about the development of golf architecture in Canada from 1915 to 1938. From Hamilton to Highlands... I think there's an interesting book in all of that information.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »
The Ottawa club history is pretty lousy when it comes to architecture. It was a disappointment to me.
Re: Royal Ottawa -- it is a neat course, very old school. I think it is clear none of the Colt alternatives were adopted, and the club has been under the direction of Graham Cooke in recent years, who isn't the architect you'd want if you were looking to restore or renovate in a historic style.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Ian Andrew

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »
Joe,

Where did the articles come from.

Ian

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 03:20:30 PM »
Joe,

Where did the articles come from.

Ian

All are from the Ottawa Evening Journal.

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 06:06:33 PM »
Back in the late 60's and early 70's I did a lot of work there under the direction of Robbie Robinson.
Built a few greens, cut down some hills that were blocking approaches to greens, and quite a few tees.
Did a green and approach there on a hole they named Bell Hole perhaps number 4?
I always enjoyed playing there but have not played it since Graham Cooke started making changes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back