News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jack_Marr

Weather Damage
« on: January 04, 2014, 06:52:57 AM »
Any  courses damaged by the recent bad weather?

John Marr(inan)

Jack_Marr

Re: Weather Damage
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 06:53:36 AM »
This is Lahinch the other night, by the way.
John Marr(inan)

Jack_Marr

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 06:59:46 AM »
Belmullet

John Marr(inan)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 07:11:12 AM »
Bad at Portcawl as well, the course maybe flooded.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 07:51:11 AM »
The village of Perranporth was badly hit.  No idea about the course.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 08:19:00 AM »
Jeepers

If Perranporth GC was hit, the island must be sinking  ;D.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Paul Nash

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »
Sounds like northern Scotland got hit pretty hard. The Kessock Bridge at Inverness and the bridge across the Dornoch Firth were closed for a while.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/3525128

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/warning-snow-and-floods-will-bring-more-weather-misery.23093410

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 12:12:42 PM »
David,

we had a lot of rain so everything is very wet but wind was only bad for about 1 hour. Lovely day to day though which I have spent making three very large spruces which went over in the wind safe. Hoping to finish this tomorrow. Well guess I have firewood for the next few years  ;D

Jon

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 05:08:11 AM »
Without wishing to get into a debate over causes, I believe it's commonly accepted that polar ice is melting and sea levels are rising.  

Thus tidal surges will get larger and there's more water for wind to push around. Anecdotally we do seem to be seeing more of these problems.

I read in an Irish paper on Friday that there was flooding in Portmarnock but the course itself wasn't mentioned.  It is fairly low lying and similay courses like Aberdovey would be my first concerns.  The West Coast courses of Ireland and Scotland mostly sit behind huge dunes but it wouldn't be wise to underestimate the power of the sea.

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/

Interesting that people are arguing that the council should find money to protect a major tourism earner.   In most places any money is rightly being spend on protecting the populace.  At Deal they are raising the sea wall and the work appears to stop at the Golf Course.

To be continued...
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 05:23:35 AM »
Without wishing to get into a debate over causes, I believe it's commonly accepted that polar ice is melting and sea levels are rising.  

Thus tidal surges will get larger and there's more water for wind to push around. Anecdotally we do seem to be seeing more of these problems.

I read in an Irish paper on Friday that there was flooding in Portmarnock but the course itself wasn't mentioned.  It is fairly low lying and similay courses like Aberdovey would be my first concerns.  The West Coast courses of Ireland and Scotland mostly sit behind huge dunes but it wouldn't be wise to underestimate the power of the sea.

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/

Interesting that people are arguing that the council should find money to protect a major tourism earner.   In most places any money is rightly being spend on protecting the populace.  At Deal they are raising the sea wall and the work appears to stop at the Golf Course.

To be continued...

Sounds quite bad at Rosses Point.

The large gabion walls installed at Lahinch probably saved it from serious damage. The water seemed to mainly penetrate at the low lying areas around the third tee where the promenade and car park was washed away.

Portmarnock was fine on Wednesday but I'm not sure about Friday - The Irish sea coast has been accreting for a few years so there shouldn't be damage to the course around the 15th. Years gone past saw the low lying areas of the 5th and 6th effected but drainage works undertaken there a couple of winters ago should be effective. The main erosion concerns would be on the estuary side around the 1st and 3rd but by its nature, the water would be less violent there.

I've seen enormous lakes at The Island before so I wouldn't be surprised to see it out of action.

Plus you'd have to worry about some of the historically erosion prone courses of Donegal... North-West, Narin & Portnoo etc...

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 06:39:02 AM »
There was a flood warning at Silloth and I know that last year several of the lower lying holes were under water for a few days. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 08:11:50 AM »
I recall that Royal Porthcawl has a large concrete drainage chamber/sump under either the 2nd or 3rd fairway. From looking into it, it seems pretty deep and on one of the occasions I've played at RPGC there was a thick diameter hose leading from the chamber/sump opening up and over the seawall with a pump emptying out the water.

As an aside, wasn't it RCP/Deal (or was it Princes?) that was due to hold The Open one year in the 30's-40's but didn't in the end host it due to storm damage to the sea defences and flooding of much of the course?

Good luck to all clubs (and anyone else) who has suffered over the last few stormy days.

All the best

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 08:22:35 AM »
Over the Christmas period I met up with Colin Cotter to view the various changes that are being done to Royal Troon ahead of the Open in 2016. There was no damage at that point and I've not heard of any since but Colin and I/me (apologies to Mr Whitaker but as a Scotsman, English is a bit of a second language and therefore my grammar sometimes leaves a little to be desired  ;D) had an interesting discussion on storm/tidal damage and what measures had been undertaken to prevent sandblow/erosion. Colin made the valid point that even within his memory he could recall significant coastal erosion around the Pow Burn area followed by substantial fresh deposits of sand being brought in by the tide. All that is entirely normal and has gone on for as long as we've been playing golf.

Niall

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 12:27:49 PM »
Thomas - RCP lost two Opens to flooding and one to the war.

The land to the west of the golf course has several pipes, pumping thousands of tons of water out to sea everyday. The pumping continues 365 days of the year. Despite being a dry area for rain, there is no shortage of underground water.
Cave Nil Vino

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 03:32:29 PM »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 05:20:21 AM »
Not damage exactly but pictures on Twitter this morning of debris (including one quite large fish!) strewn across greens at Porthcawl.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 10:31:14 AM »
I think that must be the picture Paul Nash posted, Mark.

Portstewart

Waterville

John Marr(inan)

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 08:36:34 AM »

Ally Mcintosh

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 10:02:53 AM »

The land to the west of the golf course has several pipes, pumping thousands of tons of water out to sea everyday. The pumping continues 365 days of the year. Despite being a dry area for rain, there is no shortage of underground water.
Mark was that the 1915 Open as I thought the 1940 Open was going to Birkdale. The 38 and 49 because of the floods?
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 10:53:10 AM »

Mark was that the 1915 Open as I thought the 1940 Open was going to Birkdale. The 38 and 49 because of the floods?

Adrian 38 and 48.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Cinque_Ports_Golf_Club

Thanks Jack

Before the days of H&S I spent many happy days sitting in the middle of this picture with a fishing rod in my hand.  Who would be in a boat taking snaps in that weather!  

It’s all about the timing. I’ve seen spring tides 4’ higher, but when the wind and tide combine, lookout.
 With the wind and waves in this direction you have to fear for the Old Course there. Some lovely but short holes on unirrigated linksland on the sea side of the Rd to Portrush (on the land side there are many forgettable holes on Clay - in the middle of the round).  An early morning 9 with hickories, would be wonderful.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:00:28 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jack_Marr

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 03:39:43 PM »
More than just weather damage at Doonbeg.... Gone into receivership, I'm afraid. Hopefully the place will be okay. I loved it there.
John Marr(inan)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back