News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kettler

Additional Golf While in San Francisco and Monterey
« on: December 30, 2013, 09:19:54 PM »
I know similar topics have been around the block, but maybe this is a slightly different twist, I think.

Going to California in May, and have the normal list of courses developed, so don't need feedback on Pasatiempo vs. Spyglass, but looking for feedback on my supplemental courses.  I know, not exactly chopped liver.  Open to others that maybe I missed.  Also, anyone looking for a game, let me know.  

Meadow Club
Lake Merced
Claremont
Oly Club (Ocean)
Peninsula Golf and CC
Stonebrae

Cheers and Happy New Year.  

David_Tepper

Re: Additional Golf While in San Francisco and Monterey
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 10:13:22 PM »
Dan -

I have lived in SF for 40+ years.

My favorite course on your list is the Meadow Club. The Mackenzie-designed course (restored by Urbina-Doak, I think) has plenty of charm and quirk. It is set in a very pretty spot. Some days you can encounter both deer and wild turkeys on the course during your round. I would not mind being a member there at all! ;)

Claremont is another restored Mackenzie course. It is very old-school, sub-6,000 yards, with a par of 68 and a couple of crossing fairways.

Lake Merced & OC Ocean are both "modern" straight-forward tests. I don't know how early in May you are visiting, but Lake Merced is hosting an LPGA event the last weekend in April, so the course may be a little beat up in early May.

Peninsula does not do a whole lot for me. I have never played Stonebrae.

Feel free to get in touch if you have any more questions.

DT

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:37:05 PM by David_Tepper »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 11:08:43 PM »
DT, Meadow Club's architect is Mike DeVries.  Jim Urbina works with Claremont.

Dan Kettler, if you are over at Claremont you might also look at Orinda on the other side of the tunnel.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:14:56 PM »
As Kevin stated, Mike Devries restored the Meadow Club. Doak and Urbina spruced up Claremont and Pastiempo.

Meadow Club A few weak holes in the middle of the property, and surprisingly few memorable greens for a MacKenzie, but very scenic with a good number of excellent holes. No housing. Doak 6.

Stonebrae Great views and some truly great and original holes along with some throw aways w/severe topography & potentially strong winds. Housing and akward holes detract but I still give it a Doak 6 maybe.

Lake Merced Some decent stuff. Has the stately cypress trees one associates with SF golf. It's better than Olympic Ocean. Doak 5

Claremont A neat little par 68, with the 1st and 18th as the only par 5s. All 6 pars 3s are stellar. Some good 4s as well but a few bland and overly narrow holes on the back side detract a bit from the old school charm. Neat place but not a must play. Doak 5

Oly Club (Ocean) Some decent stuff but little to write home about. Doak 4

Peninsula Golf and CC No idea
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:46:28 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:02:25 AM »
I've only played Meadow Club and Stonebrae of the two you listed, but would definitely give Meadow Club the edge of the two. The settings are very different but both enjoyable in their own way. The Meadow Club would be great if not for the group of holes that run parallel through the valley that are too close together. I agree with Kyle in that Stonebrae has a lot of original holes and great views, but he's also right about the severe topography and awkward holes. I'm just not sure I see great golf holes out there. Meadow might be about a 6; Stonebrae more like a 4 to me.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
You need to play the Cal Club.  If you don't, then you're missing out on the best golf course in San Francisco.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 12:28:20 AM »
Mira Vista CC might interest you. Hunter/Willie Watson design that was renovated in 2011. Awesome views of the bay from the Richmond hills and a very fun and challenging test of golf.
Also Lake Chabot muni is one of the most unique courses ever built in the Oakland hills. Extreme changes in elevation that includes a 100+ foot drop shot par 3 and a finishing par 6 that is all downhill. Great views of both bridges on clear days from the backside.
If you want to squeeze in a quick nine near the SFO airport, Gleneagles International is fun muni tree lined nineholer right up the road.

I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 12:48:56 AM »
You need to play the Cal Club.  If you don't, then you're missing out on the best golf course in San Francisco.

+1 on that. Honestly, Cal Club might be a top 100 world course. It is every bit as good as Olympic Lake, and I think it is slightly better.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 01:13:14 AM »
can I tag along - jealous...miss my time in that area of the world. Have fun Dan!
@theflatsticker

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 01:37:26 AM »
You need to play the Cal Club.  If you don't, then you're missing out on the best golf course in near San Francisco.

Fixed that for ya.

Mike Benham

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 01:56:31 AM »
You need to play the Cal Club.  If you don't, then you're missing out on the best golf course in near San Francisco.

Fixed that for ya.

Wait, the club is named California Golf Club of San Francisco and it's not in San Francisco?   ;D

Is that like Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 08:23:18 AM »

Wait, the club is named California Golf Club of San Francisco and it's not in San Francisco?   ;D

Is that like Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?

Not really, because the Cal club IS in California, just not in SF. 
But the Angels really ARE in Anaheim, just not L.A.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 08:34:05 AM »
Partial dissent: LAA of Anaheim unlike CGC of San Fran is factually correct if (purposely) misleading. "Los Angeles" is not modifying "Angels." Rather, the entire term is the name, which is possessed by Anaheim. CGC is the name and is factually correct / not misleading but San Fran does not possess CGC.

Much like an oil company trying to decide where in its value chain to take profits to minimize tax, both terms illustrate the options available when determining where to locate your marketing bullsh*t.

Anyway, Mike W have you been watching Sportscenter again?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 09:05:54 AM »

Fixed that for ya.

It's in South San Francisco.  At least that's what it says in the club's website.  Close enough.   ;D

BTW, it's one of the closest courses to the airport.  Perfect location for a travel day.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 09:07:47 AM by Ron Csigo »
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Mike Benham

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 12:27:38 PM »

Not really, because the Cal club IS in California, just not in SF. 

If Venture Capitalist Tim Draper gets his wish, Cal Club won't be in California anymore ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 02:31:01 PM »
Mira Vista CC might interest you. Hunter/Willie Watson design that was renovated in 2011. Awesome views of the bay from the Richmond hills and a very fun and challenging test of golf.

+1 on Mira Vista

Also, there's another California "Golf" Club (actually California CC) in Whittier, CA.  Don't know anything about it, but maybe that's why there's the "of San Francisco" qualifier?

Dan Kettler

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 03:45:55 PM »
Great feedback so far.  Should have asked about Harding Park as well.  Assuming Pebble area is a bit more straight forward, other than it doesn't look like Spanish Bay gets much love.  So how about the two courses at MPCC vs. Spyglass

JLahrman

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 03:53:21 PM »
Great feedback so far.  Should have asked about Harding Park as well.  Assuming Pebble area is a bit more straight forward, other than it doesn't look like Spanish Bay gets much love.  So how about the two courses at MPCC vs. Spyglass

Harding can be fairly expensive for non-residents vs. a pretty good deal for locals. I don't mind; it's not like there are a ton of nearby options for SF residents. It's a nice course to play but might not be worth it from a value perspective depending on what your other options are.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »
Harding is currently replacing all of its greens and doing some bunker work, so it is likely not going to be great during your visit.  It isn't really worth visiting anyway, assuming you have other alternatives in SF or South SF, or even Daly City.

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 06:55:08 PM »
Definitely play Cal Club.  I'd agree with the prior claim of this being a top 100.

Others:  
Bayonet & Black course?  
Pacific Grove Muni - get out and enjoy the tree lined front, and ocean views on back.  You'll also play with some great Monterey local golfers.

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 11:39:18 AM »
I'll go ahead and throw a bone towards Half Moon Bay (Ocean).  It probably shouldn't replace many of the suggestions here, but it's worth a mention.

About 45 minutes south of SF, I played it about 3 years ago and really enjoyed it.  Apparently, the course has matured since then and plays significantly firmer than it used to.  (Perhaps someone from the area can confirm that.)

Seeing how Harding Park (replacing greens) and Poppy Hills (still closed for renovation) are currently undergoing work, I think HMB Ocean is a solid choice if you are looking for another public option.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back