News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin_D

Pebble Beach advice welcomed!
« on: December 29, 2013, 02:47:17 PM »
Hello all,

As part of continuing my fantasy golf tour into 2014, I am looking into a long weekend at Pebble Beach (what else to do on a rainy Sunday in NYC while waiting for the Eagles to beat the Cowboys tonight?)

I currently have tee times booked at Pebble Beach and Spyglass Hill. I might have a shot at getting on some of the private clubs in Monterrey/San Fran as well (fingers crossed); worst case scenario I plan to play Pasatiempo on my way back to San Fran before my flight back to NYC (which strikes me as a pretty great "worst case" option!).

My only other requirements are that I get in my rounds at a 2:40 pace. I hear Pebble is good at that ;)

Thoughts? Other/alternative suggestions?

I'd also be happy to hear about any recommendations on non-golf activities; my wife (who doesn't really play but loves California) will be joining me. I am already planning on a drive with her down to Big Sur for one afternoon.

Cheers,
Kevin
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 03:12:11 PM by Kevin_D »

J_ Crisham

Re: Pebble Beach advice welcomed!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 03:33:39 PM »
While driving down to Big Sur have lunch/drinks at Napenthe- spectacular views. If you can gain access, The Cal Club is as good as it gets in SF. Easy to play in under 3 hrs. Pacific Grove muni is a great addition to a  PB day that is linksy and affordable.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »
Pasatiempo shouldn't be your "worst case" option. It is a must!
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »
Cypress Point is very nice.
Cave Nil Vino

Kevin_D

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 06:37:38 PM »
J - thanks.

Ben - that's why I put it in quotes! I really hope to play Pasatiempo (and snag something with their cool logo from the pro shop). Curious, would you play it over Spyglass if you had to choose only one? (I should be able to do both, but we'll see)

Mark - you don't say.  ;D

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 06:44:16 PM »
If you're wife cancels KD, let me know.   ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kevin_D

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 08:47:07 PM »
Joe - the wife never passes up a trip to California! But I will be playing solo if you (or anyone else) is in the area.

I will be there Memorial Day weekend.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 08:53:10 PM »
J - thanks.

Ben - that's why I put it in quotes! I really hope to play Pasatiempo (and snag something with their cool logo from the pro shop). Curious, would you play it over Spyglass if you had to choose only one? (I should be able to do both, but we'll see)

Mark - you don't say.  ;D

Kevin, for what it is worth, I would certainly take a round at Pasatiempo over a round at Spyglass.  Lots of cool things to see there - Mackenzie's work, the Doak renovation, the good Doctor's house...

Nigel Islam

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 09:11:21 PM »
Kevin I would certainly vote Cal Club and Pasatiempo ahead of Spyglass( which is very good). Unless you are getting on Cypress or SFGC those are 2&3 behind Pebble.

jim_lewis

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 09:23:07 PM »
I think your wife will love Carmel while you are playing. Just don't let her take her credit cards.

Also, beware of the large body of water left of #18.

Jim
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

David_Elvins

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 09:23:10 PM »
Repeating all above, make sure you see Pasatiempo,  I would rather see/play it than Spyglass by a fair way.  
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Josh Bills

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 09:31:25 PM »
Loved the first 4 holes at Spyglass but loved the whole course at Pasatiempo, especially the stretch of 14, 15 and 16.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 09:53:57 PM »

Both are worth playing, but Pasatiempo would be my choice if only one was an option.
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 01:18:24 AM »
I would bet there are at least 50 threads on this subject.  The entire world must come to San Francisco and Monterey.  There was one "last week".

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57478.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,15387.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,33857.0.html

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 01:28:11 AM »
pasatiempo is purty darn special. Among other Bay Area clubs, and assuming you cannot wangle your way onto SGGC or Olympic Lake, check out TPC San Francisco in the Hayward hills. It's not really a walking course, but as a test of of golf, it's on.

Kevin_D

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 09:15:09 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Wayne/Ben/David/Nigel/Chris - you have convinced me.  Pasa goes from "probably" to "definitely" on the itinerary.

Jim - our CCs will be locked securely in the hotel safe as my wife explores Carmel on a cash allowance  ;)

Joel - sorry to "bother you", pal. You must be a Cowboys fan  ;D.  (by the way, those topics are a bit different than what I asked)

Cheers,
Kevin

JMEvensky

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 09:26:50 AM »

Thoughts? Other/alternative suggestions?

I'd also be happy to hear about any recommendations on non-golf activities; my wife (who doesn't really play but loves California) will be joining me. I am already planning on a drive with her down to Big Sur for one afternoon.

Call Bob Huntley and offer to buy him a cocktail.Hire a court reporter to transcribe the stories.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 09:32:11 AM »
Advice?  Bring tons of money!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 11:23:45 AM »

Joel - sorry to "bother you", pal. You must be a Cowboys fan  ;D.  (by the way, those topics are a bit different than what I asked)

No problem Bud.  I'm just sick of newbies asking stupid questions and unable to use the search function.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »

No problem Bud.  I'm just sick of newbies asking stupid questions and unable to use the search function.
Joel,  Why are Kevin's questions stupid? How about a little civility towards a newbie-  If he hasn't been to the SF/PB area it doesn't hurt to ask for some advice. Who knows maybe he will pair up with some GCAers while there.

Kevin_D

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 11:46:27 AM »

And I'm sick of "oldies" making unnecessary, nasty comments on threads instead of adding anything constructive

Have a nice day!

Kevin

Matt Bosela

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 12:17:42 PM »
I visited Northern California in May for the first time so I'll offer the following advice:

- Do NOT miss out on Pasatiempo!  It should be above Spyglass on your itinerary without question.
- Don't let anyone talk you out of playing Pebble Beach because of the 5+ hour round...this site is filled with naysayers but the experience of playing PB unquestionably outweighs any negatives.  Buckle up and enjoy the day - it's one of the great sites in the world of golf
- DO visit Carmel and have lunch, walk the streets and definitely walk the beach!
- DO visit Napa Valley for a day or two...
- DO visit San Francisco, one of the greatest cities in the world

Enjoy!

Bill Crane

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »
You should definitely take your wife to Point Lobos State Reserve in Carmel and do a few of the hikes along the Ocean. This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and the views of Carmel and P B are wonderful.  There are a ton of seals and sea lions on the little islands that are on the edge of the point.   The hikes are not super challenging.  They must have a website somewhere with information such as hours etc.

Point Lobos can be seen looking south from P B below Carmel - it juts prominently into the ocean.

Lunch or dinner in Carmel afterward would be great, there are also some inns up several hundred feet in Carmel Highlands near Pt. Lobos that might be worth stopping for a drink or dinner afterward.   Check out the film "Play Misty for Me" to see the terrain.

ALSO:  1)  When my wife and I where there three years ago there was a discount P B Pro Shop with overruns in downtown Monterey.  The prices were about 60% or more lower than the actual pro shop at the course.   2)  We drove through Pacific Grove and that would be a fun place for dinner or drinks.  

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 01:46:59 PM »
Kevin

If you are going to Monterrey I hope you speak Spanish

Bob......Huntley
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:49:13 PM by Bob_Huntley »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 02:02:45 PM »
GB

3 months ago, my wife and I did 9 days in SF-Big Sur-Pebble, and If you are only doing a long weekend I would forget about Big Sur and any other golf than Pebble Beach.  Both Spyglass and Pasteimpo are seriously good golf courses, but neither one is of the "life-changing" ilk as is Pebble.  Big Sur is great (particularly Nepepnthe and Pfieffer Beach) but deserves more time than an in-and-out.  San Francisco is also "life changing" and if you have 4 days I'd spend three of them in SF and forget about any golf, good as SFGC and Olympic are.  For the one day in Pebble Beach, stay at Spanish Bay rather than the Inn at PB.  Just MHO.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back