News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joey Chase

Re: Is there a course designer that you struggle with his courses
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 07:00:43 AM »
Surprised to see no one mention Robert Von Hagge yet.  I have played several of his courses and always get it handed to me.  Maybe it is solely the visual thing mentioned before, but I do not enjoy his courses and would drive past one for almost any other architect's work.  They have all seemed to have very narrow playing corridors and not enough options off of the tee.

On the other hand, I almost always seem to play well at MacRaynor courses.  

Carl Rogers

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 10:11:46 AM »
C & C, I have only played 2, Bandon Trails and Dormie.  Both gave me a lot of trouble in reading the proper location to aim or club approach shots.  And thus I often wind up:
1. over the green
2. very awkward pitch or chip shot or putt from off the green
3. impossible to read long putt
4. nasty little bunker shot (bunker was blind from the approach shot location)

local knowledge needed badly on their tracks

I have played 4 Mike Strantz courses, have fewer problems because they are straight forward where not to miss
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Paul Jones

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 10:26:54 AM »
I struggle and cannot stand the modern bunkers Nicklaus and Rees Jones have been using where both sides are banked - if you barely miss a green, your ball will likely roll into the bunker and up the downslope - now you have a downhill bunker lie to an elevated green for barely missing a green.

Tom,

I too enjoyed Mayacama, but I did play well and was not affected by force carries.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

John Avram

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 11:30:42 AM »
Johnny Miller courses kick my butt.  I have played two so far: Schaffer's Mill and Entrada.  Played horribly each time.  There are just to many things that can go wrong if you mess up a shot.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back