News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Sacandaga Golf Club - NY - 1898 - Pictures
« on: December 24, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »
This summer I was visiting upstate NY and I decided to play the Sacandaga GC in Northville, NY. The course is located near Lake Sacandaga, an hour or so drive from Lake George, NY. The course dates back to 1898-99 and is one of the oldest continually operating golf courses in the state of New York. I am not sure how much is still left in place, as I noticed that at least one green or hole appeared to be redone. I liked the minimalist style of the sand traps and the course was a fun walk and about $22 (or less) if I remember correctly. The course was part of a recreation area that was developed by the FJ&G Railroad and was originally 4 holes and rworked to 9 holes a few years later. (http://www.sacandagastation.com/fjandg_sacandaga_line.html) and as far as I can tell was designed/laid out by P.S. Honeyman. It is just over 3,000 yards from the tips with very small greens as you would expect. Don't go far out of your way to play this old man, but I am glad I did because in today's golf climate you never know how long these types of courses will be around.

I found this online as well:

In 1899 P.S. Honeyman of Lennox Mass arrived after being contracted as the designer for golf links in Sacandaga park. This reference gives a description of this task:

A noted Golf Expert has completed his work at Sacandaga Park this morning May 11th.
For the past two days Honeyman, a noted golf expert ,has been at Sacandaga Park laying out the golf links in that place. The grounds collected were the athletic field and the large lot south of Gifford’s Corners.
The starting point will be at the northwest corner of the athletic grounds , with the with the finishing point in close proximity. The distance covered by players is nearly a mile.

The greens will be from 165 to 250 yards in length and will cross and recross the ravine which separates the two lots and which forms a most desirable hazard.

There will also be 4 foot bridges over the ravine for the convenience of golfers.
Mr. Honeyman has laid out the grounds for nearly all the prominent golf clubs in the country, and claims the park grounds as natural for a course as any he has ever seen and the links will be desirable as those to be found anywhere.

Honeyman has given golf lessons for 15 years before coming to this country from England 6 years ago. He has taught many a champion in this country.

Hole #1 291 yard par 4

Hole #2 392 yard par 4

Hole # 3 351 Par 4. This is the hole that appears as if it was redone as the green shape is much different as is the tee box has probably been moved farther back to include a short carry over a pond as well.

Hole #4 484 yard par 5

Hole #5 455 yard par 5

Hole #6 373 yard Par 4

Hole #7 174 yard par 3

Hole #8 Par 3 239 yards

Hole #9 Par 4 287 (I ran into a huge thunder and lightning storm so I never was able to play hole 9)

« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 09:26:21 AM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 10:
Erie GC (PA), Skyway GC (NJ), Ferry Point Links (NY), The Bridge (NY), Montauk Downs (NY), Totteridge GC (PA), Hillsboro Elks (OH), Smock GC (IN), Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC - South (OH)

Mark McKeever

Re: Sacandaga Golf Club - NY - 1898 - Pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:58:30 AM »
I see some pretty interesting greens that seem to have shrunk down over time.  Very good find!  I've never heard of the place.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back