News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Golf architecture's forgotten genius: Herbert Strong
« on: August 09, 2003, 10:43:56 PM »
I am too lazy to look up genius in the dictionary but as it applies to golf architecture, I always picture the 10th at Riviera: a man who can create that many strategic options on a flat piece of ground is a genius.

How many architects were/are geniuses? Less than 5? 10? 30? Whatever the #, I am starting to appreciate that Herbert Strong belongs in that very select company.

I say that based solely on one personal experience. Other evidence is found in Geoff Shackelford's writing in The Golden Age of Golf Design, Tom MacWood's world ranking find from 1939 which includes three Strong courses (his two most famous courses as they exist today - Canterbury & Saucon Valley - aren't among the three) and Chip Oat's glowing comments about Inwood, which Strong re-designed.

The personal experience was a recent quick tour around Engineers CC on Long Island. Right from the get go with the first green (a front to back slope with a two foot bowl within the right center portion of the green) to the wild (once even wilder) 2nd green to the 270 yard 7th which brings about all sorts of scores to the AMAZING 2 or 20 hole which is of the same class as the 8th at Royal Troon to the unique 16th and 18th holes, this man Strong seems to have had a superior ability for building holes that were unique, strategically challenging and fun. What more can you ask from an architect?!! (Easy to maintain, I suppose, and I have no reason to believe that Strong's courses weren't that as well).

Tom MacWood has made several posts on Strong but otherwise, he gets little play on this site. In part, much of his best work has been stepped on/modified/softened so it is hard to readily appreciate just how good/different this guy was.

Still, with proper recognition as being - as Geoff puts it - "one of the most eccentric early designers, building cavernous bunkers, large sandy "waste" areas, and severe green complexes," perhaps such clubs as Engineers would be more encouraged/inclined to do tons of research before doing anything else to the course. A fully restored  Engineers course might once again deserve the world #52 ranking that it enjoyed in 1939.

How much is known about Strong? Coming from Royal St. George's, he sure had a great start in terms of appreciating just how exhilarating the game can be.

Cheers,

Norbert P

Re:Golf architecture's forgotten genius: Herbert Strong
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 01:34:05 PM »
 Could there be a Course Profile in the works for Mr. Strong?  

RE: Engineers ...
   I wonder about the artistic rights of golf architects.  Is their work considered to have Public Domain status?  On one hand it works well not to have too much red tape hindering improvement but on the other hand the idea that any piece of artist's work can be manipulated by right of the Club Owners/Members is a little disparaging.  What if the curator of the Louvre didn't like an Edward Munch painting?  He wouldn't have somebody modify it.  He might have it cleaned for restoring original brilliance but other than removing it from display, it would stand as truth of history.  Why don't golf courses have this status?  
  Certainly, if there is a Donald Ross course slated for change, the DR Society will come to the rescue, if not to stop, perhaps just to make a presence that the changes be respectful to the original intent.  Who stands up for the more obscure artists?

Strong never built anything west of Ohio, so there are many of us who have not seen his work.  What is his legacy of revolutionary design?  What stands unique in the test of time?  (Besides his 320 yard hole-in-one and the possible invention of the pull cart.) (Whitten's book is so handy.)

What would the curator use of his work to show in the gallery?  What would the professor use of his to teach?

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

T_MacWood

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 05:42:00 PM »
From what I have seen of Strong and read about his work--he was an architect that wasn't affraid the push the envelope...perhaps too far. An example being his famous par-3 at Engineers...the 2 or 22 hole. Also the first island green par-3 at Ponte Vedra...another very famous hole in its day.

He was also known for his wild bunkering, utilizing a number very unusual bunkers of all shapes, sizes and presentations, he was also known for some very bold greens. I'm under the impression his courses could be very difficult, Engineers and Ponte Vedra come to mind. But Manoir Richelieu was quite short and was known more for its beauty. Even without his bold features his course still stand up, as an example Canterbury where the routing and the way he molded the fairways and greens still stand out today.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 09:11:35 AM by Tom MacWood »

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 08:46:07 AM »
Dan Wexler chastised me several months ago for saying that no. 9 at Ponte Vedra was the first island green. Apparently it was not, though advertising brochures at PV say otherwise.

I hope than someone picks up on Ran's suggestion and does some digging on Strong. He deserves the time and attention.

Bob
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 09:11:25 AM by BCrosby »

ChipOat

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2003, 09:03:54 AM »
I believe Tom Doak did the recent restoration of Inwood's bunkers and other parts of the course.  Perhaps he will have time to weigh in here about the routing, etc.

Brad Klein also knows the course well from his earliest days as a "looper".  He's spoken highly of it in the past.

Inwood deserves the same "buzz" that Fenway is getting in terms of "hidden gem" recognition (at least around the Met area) that makes courses of that quality become unhidden.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 09:08:25 AM by chipoat »

T_MacWood

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 09:14:47 AM »
Bob
Daniel is right. I'm not sure which was the first island green...but it was before the late 20's. I believe Tillinghast built one in the teens. But I would say the 9th was the most famous island green due to the noteriety of Ponte Vedra.

ferkauf

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 10:44:02 AM »
The first island green in the US was built at Shackamaxon in NJ by Tillinghast @ 1917.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2003, 10:50:35 AM »
Strong's Lakeview course, directly across the road from Toronto Golf Club, was supposed to be someting special in its early days as well. If my memory serves me correctly, a couple of Canadian Opens were played there during the 1930s.

The Lakeview course has since been altered significantly though, without much regard for the original architects style and philosophy. These days it's a city-owned muni. Only remanants of Strong's work there remains.
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back