News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

Peach & Palmetto Cup (Sort of)
« on: April 27, 2003, 09:27:20 PM »
Well some of us did get together on Saturday from what started out to be the first annual Peach vs. Palmetto Cup.  Unfortuntely in it embriotic stages some might not have even recognized it.  What it turned out to be was a beautiful day, a great golf course, a chance to meet some of our fellow lurkers, and meet the course architect Mike Young.

As it turns out the actual P&P Cup will have to wait for next year.  Apparently the Peach continginet was a little intimidated by the large pack of Greenville Golfing Society members who borded a bus Saturday morning loaded with alcohol and set off for Cateechee.

The GA contingent was a little light due mostly I surmise to the intimidation factor, although Bob Crosby said it was because of the reschedules that took place in the event.

Anyway, since I was recovering from a near death bout with Strep Throat I headed down from Greenville myself with the intent of mostly taking some pictures and hearing whatever presentations there might be afterwards.  But Bob talked me into atleast throwing my clubs on a cart to tag along with his foursome and maybe play a hole or to.  That made five, and once Mike Young himself came out and joined us for most of the back nine (our first) we were officially a 6some.  I guess when you have the architect with you, you can do about whatever you want.  Serously I wasnt playing much, and we never saw anyone else on the course, but our convoy was a site to see.

Here are a few pics mostly so that you can put a face (or an outline in the case of the rear swing views) with some of the names on here.

Rob Kimbal walking down the hill contemplating the devilish green M.Y. designed at 15.  Behind him reveling in the misery Mike Young (dark green) and John Stiles.

John's tee shot on 17th hole 628yds Par 5

Rob's tee shot at 17th.

Cliff's tee shot at same 17th.

The P&P organizer Bob Crosby's second shot on 17th Hole.

A good time was had by all, and I am sorry that I didnt get a group shot including Mike Whittaker and the GGS contingency, but all I can say is hey I was still delierious from running a high fever for the last several days.

I hope P/P II will grow and develop even further into the structured event we envisioned.  Or I even heard talk from both sides on Saturday that we do P/P1 again sometime this summer.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

BCrosby

Re: Peach & Palmetto Cup (Sort of)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 04:44:47 AM »
A great time. Beautiful day, a wonderful golf course and good company.

Thanks to Mike Whitaker of the Greenville Golf Society for doing most of the heavy lifting.

The Georgia turnout was a little weak, but next time....

I hope the P&P will continue. The object is to meet guys in the area with similar interests in gca and to play new, interesting (or even old, interesting) courses. I think there is plenty of both to keep this going.

(A note to everyone. Do not play Turboe for money when he is running a fever. There seems to be an inverse ratio between his golf score and his body temperature.)

Finally, kudos to MIke Young for a terrific course. Catteechee was built on land reclaimed from the state because of environmental issues. It is a great example of how golf course design can serve two masters - providing great shot values and solving sticky envirnmental issues. Congratualtions Mike. The course and its magnificent (and I mean magnificent) clubhouse are definitely worth a visit.

Thanks to all who attended. The GA contingent will get 'em next time.

Bob  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Robert Kimball

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 07:13:19 AM »
Thanks again everyone!!  I am just happy that I had a forum to show off my incredible short game abilities (as well as consistent driving)  :D

It was truly a pleasure meeting everyone, and I anticipate more meetings in the future (after I go to a Dave Peltz short game clinic, and a session with Dr. Katz).  

And Kudos again to Mike Young.  I could have listened to him all day.  Great stories.  

Rob

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 08:22:46 AM »
Just bustin' a few chops, but carts, guys?  I know it's suposed to be a really hilly course, but..... ;)

I had seriously considered coming, but didn't have any brownie points left over from my recent vacation.  I certainly was planning on walking.  Of course, I'll walk just about any course.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 04:52:06 PM »
The P&P Cup did not turn out as planned. As David Letterman would say.. It was an exhibition instead of a competition. But, it was a good first start and a great time was had by all. Just look at these smiling faces:

John, Mike Young, Cliff, and Mr. Crosby on the right.

Everyone with the GGS agreed... we need to reschedule the P&P Cup ASAP and hold a true competition. Here are three of the GGS Palmetto contingent hungering for a little Peach Jam:

Mike Whitaker, Pete Roe, and Clark Price

There are some absolutely beautiful settings on Cateechee. Here is a look at the second shot on eighteen with the magnificent new clubhouse in the background:

I forgot to get a shot of the front of the clubhouse, but here's another look from the eighteenth fairway:

Mike Young and I agreed, our favorite shot on the course is the uphill second to the fourth hole:

If you haven't played Cateechee do so. It's a lot of fun. The burgers alone are worth the trip.

Scott - please let me know when you are going to be there to walk it. I'll have the ambulance standing by. Walking Cateechee would be like walking Cruden Bay with about ten "Cardiac Hills" in one round. You could do it... but, I'm not sure you would survive it.

And, finally, MANY THANKS to Bob Crosby for all of his time and effort to make this event happen. What do you think about shooting for Scales Creek in July, with a little of that good 'ole Georgia barbecue afterward?

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 07:08:33 PM »
I am up for Scales Creek, but since we will be closing on our new house, and moving in sometime in July I am worried about my availability.  Maybe last week in June?

Anyway I think all involved would be pleasently surprised with Scales Creek also.

ps I second Mikes emotion, Scott when you come down to walk Cateechee let me know I want to come watch as well.  I have been told it has been done, but not very often.  Mike explained how they were strictly unable to touch certain areas of the property, and unfortunately one of those wide swaths went right down the middle of the property, so you have to traverse that large valley, swamp, and forest a couple times a round.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 07:42:11 PM »
Here we go again... Can't do last weekend in June. We have our Member-Member tournament scheduled for that weekend. Unless... we play it at... no, not this time!

We can do June 14 or 15, 21 or 22, or any dates in July.

Turboe, surely they won't make you close on a Saturday or Sunday!!! By the way, if you need a good attorney to handle the closing (and one who will be respectful of your golf plans) we have a few in our club that are outstanding.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2003, 08:05:28 PM »
Daryl,

I'll let you be the judge.  I'm sure you've played Strantz' Stonehouse and Royal New Kent in VA?  Both are very hilly with extremely long distances between holes (I felt Stonehouse was longer).  Which do you think is a harder walk, Cateechee or either of the Strantz'?  I walked both of those carrying.  Both were my 2nd rounds of the day.  I had a blast.

At Stonehouse in '98, the starter said the same thing as above, that only 4 people had walked it before me.

Last month, the cart kid said that RNK had 13 miles of cart paths.

Adrenaline and power bars, baby!

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2003, 09:05:45 AM »
Scott,

Played RNK but not Stonehouse.  I would guess that Cateechee may be even longer walks between Greens and tees in certain areas.

But I am sure that you can handle it Scott based on your resume.

Daryl

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2003, 09:25:07 AM »
RNK's walks are generally flatter between holes than Stonehouse's.

Anyways, I'm not that die-hard, really.  We rode at The Preserve at JL, though it wasn't that tough of a walk.  I'd have done the cartball with y'all at P&P.

Another way to do places like Cateechee is to walk and then  hitch on the back of playing partners' carts between holes.

I do the "death marches" when I'm by myself and the course is empty.  And because they say it can't be done.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2003, 04:26:38 PM »
Scott - I wish more courses that are difficult to walk offered the 4-bag carts so you could ride when it is absolutely necessary.  Sounds like RNK, being flat, would be a perfect candidate for a 4-bagger.

Cateechee has to use gas carts because electric ones would never survive the stress of pulling the hills out there. This past Saturday our cart nearly stalled out a couple of times trying to pull some of the long hills between holes. If there had been another golfer hitching a ride on the back there's no way we would have made it up some of those slopes. I like to walk as much as anyone, but there are some courses that simply are not meant for walkers. IMHO Cateechee is one of those courses.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2003, 07:39:39 PM »
Michael,

I said a few of the long walks between holes were flat at RNK.  The course is by no means flat and some of the between hole hikes are not flat either.  Compared to Stonehouse, it's a little easier because of the few flat walks and last 2 holes which aren't hilly.

mike_beene

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2003, 07:49:56 PM »
Great pictures.Is the last one a green at the top.If so,isn't that a skyline green?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2003, 08:22:21 PM »
mike - Yes it is. If you look closely in the picture you can barely see the flagstick just to the left of the directional pole in the fairway, which is 150 yards out. The angle of this picture is from the left side of the fairway, farther back than a good tee shot would ordinarily leave you. From around 150 yards the edge of the green appears more pronounced, but you can still only see the front edge... and nothing but sky above. From the right side of the fairway the bunker partially obscures your view of the green. As I said above, it is one of my favorite shots on the course.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2003, 09:14:41 PM »
Yes that greensite on the 4th is impressive.

Mike,

So, we never heard how did day #2 at Willow Creek turn out, what were the final results?

Two other greensites that I like out there at Cateechee are the 7th (Love the greensite as well as the contours of the green)

What seems like a very straightforward driving hole but if you want to open up the green both from the bunkers standpoint as well as giving you much more green depth to work with you have to challenge the more dangerous long/left line off the tee.

Also I like love the driveable par 4 15th.

You can either take it straight for the green up the treacherous left alternate fairway (like Rob Kimbal did) or play it up the open right alternative fairway from where you should have a simple chip left.

Good stuff at Cateechee.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2003, 05:58:18 PM »
Turboe - Here is a link to a report on the outcome of the tournament:   GGS Member-Guest Recap

There are a lot of inside jokes. I hope you can appeciate the Lampoon.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2003, 07:13:03 PM »
Good stuff Mike.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back