News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

R_Paulis

Re: Best Public Course Split Fairway Holes
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2013, 12:20:56 AM »
Wasn't Rustic Canyon's #11 a split fairway before flooding? I remember #18 having two options off the tee but I don't think it could be considered a split fairway.

Bill Buthorn

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 12:25:09 AM »
Thanks Jim.  I thought I searched right, but I guess not.  I followed the link you sent, fascinating to me because I grew up in Grand Junction and still have good friends there.  We used to fantasize building a golf course on the Redlands, and Delta had a little mom and pop nine holer.  All good stuff to a native.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 01:47:17 AM »
Thanks Jim.  I thought I searched right, but I guess not.  I followed the link you sent, fascinating to me because I grew up in Grand Junction and still have good friends there.  We used to fantasize building a golf course on the Redlands, and Delta had a little mom and pop nine holer.  All good stuff to a native.

interesting search engine      devils gets devils and devils' but not devil's    and devil's only gets devil's

James Bennett

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2013, 02:11:22 AM »
RACV Healesville (although it might not qualify as 'public') in Melbourne.
 18th hole, short par 4, downhill tee shot with centre hazards, and a horseshoe green with bunkering in the middle.

Sometimes the preferred line is obvious, at others it isn't, eg when the pin is back middle.  You might be able to get closer from the right, but a safer play is from the left.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

David Harshbarger

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 08:48:05 AM »
Orchard Creek GC,  Paul Cowley's design in Altamont NY.

#14 is a drivable par 4 of 241 to 270 yards and the fairway split happens about 55 yards from the front of the green. Low side (r) puts the green 15' above your head, but you can safely hit an iron to 40 or so yards short of it. High side is narrow, only 15 yards wide, and the green is protected by a bunker short and left, and a creek, long and right. You need to be very sure of yourself if you take this route as only the smallest of fades or draws, or a very straight shot, will 'work'.

Fun hole.  

Played this once and only once.  Playing partner took the high route left, drove the green and sank his putt for eagle.  Self took the safe route, found the creek, took "other".   Fun hole as yes, there are options.  1 of many fine holes on this public gem.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2013, 11:23:58 AM »
14 at We-Ko-Pa Saguaro.  The fairway on the right looks a lot narrower from the tee than the picture below, but if you can hit that fairway, it's a reachable par 5.  I always chicken out and play it down the left.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2013, 12:54:40 PM »
I'm not calling this one the "best", but surely it is polarizable.  This is the 14th hole at Baywood Greens in Long Neck, Delaware.  The 'island' left fairway route plays about 360 yards, the right fairway plays about 420.

Some clickable views:

From the tee:

At times you might feel like you are at Longwood Gardens!

From the left fairway (the route I took, leaving a short iron in):

View from over the green:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 07:30:15 PM »
14 at We-Ko-Pa Saguaro.  The fairway on the right looks a lot narrower from the tee than the picture below, but if you can hit that fairway, it's a reachable par 5.  I always chicken out and play it down the left.

Not sure I'd agree that this hole really works. The right fairway is exceedingly hard to hit ... it's very narrow and crowned so balls tends to run off right and, especially, left (to the wash).

Even then, only a very long drive would yield a good opportunity to reach the green in two--that's a difficult uphill shot to a small green with death right.

I've tried playing it both ways, and going right is just too hazardous of a drive attempt with too little reward, considering how difficult the second then is.

Maybe then my next comment will seem odd, but I do second the earlier nomination of #12 at Talking Stick North. It's a short par 4 with a wash dividing the tee and bulk of the fairway from the green. The green, as with the 2nd there, is set hard against OOB--anything left of the green at all is OB.

So, going left, straight at the green, is certainly hazardous, anything pulled is OB. However, the reward in this situation is much greater. The green can be reached with one shot, or if you don;t get there, it's a simple pitch up the length of the green. If you go right, recovery from the wash is eminently possible, so it's not as severe as the Saguaro 14 wash. Also, the second, even if it's just a wedge, is a very difficult shot on TSN 12 so "playing safe" is not really full possible in any event.

Eric Smith

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »
Made this post a few months ago re: split fairway holes:

Capstone Club Gil Hanse, Architect

I played this one last year and liked it a lot. Same principle as many...drive it down the left hand side, avoiding a forced carry over the creek but face a more difficult angle to the green and a longer carry over the waste bunker. Drive it over the creek and have a more direct route. A good looking hole, even in the dead of winter.

Here is the yardage guide..

DMoriarty

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2013, 09:25:14 PM »
A few have mentioned Rustic Canyon's 3rd hole, also by Hanse and Co.   Unlike many of the holes mentioned, there is no truly heroic, do-or-die, option, but the hole does present realistic options for just about every level of golfer and it works well because just about everyone goes into the hole expecting (or at least hoping for) a good score.    

Generally, the numbers on the aerial represent four distinct options off the tee:

1. Go for the green, requiring a drive of around 300 yards, which is quite doable downhill for many golfers. There is trouble in about every direction, but a wide enough landing area so that this seems to be the preferred option for better golfers and longer hitters under normal weather conditions.  It doesn't seem to be simple to get up and down, though, even after a decent drive.

2.  Hit a long iron or fairway wood down the right side, 200-250 yards.  Probably the most visually appealing option off the tee, and the most favored option of those not going for the green.  Trouble is, it is somewhat of a sucker play in that the second shot is somewhat awkward for reasons that are hard to explain.  It just seems like it is hard for golfers to get it close to most pins from that No. 3 area, probably for a combination of reasons:  the green surface is blind, there is a funny little hump short of the green, there is trouble beyond, it is hard to control the runout from over there etc.   It isn't a hard shot by any means, but most people would like to make birdie and it is tough to do from this No. 2 area.  

3.  The least inviting tee shot - one cannot see the depth of the landing area - but probably the best place to be if one is not going for the green.  Again, it is hard to explain or even understand why, but it seems that with many pin positions it is easier to get it close from over there. But many golfers never bother to try it because the tee shot is an awkward distance and looks more challenging.

4.  Most golfers never consider this option, but a mid-iron tucked into the area short and left of the middle bunker leaves a wedge in and a decent angle. Not as good as from the No. 3 area, but definitely better than from the No. 2 area.  (There is an upslope between the No. 4 area and the No. 2 area.)

Overall, it is always a fun hole to play although possibly more fun for those of who aren't automatically going for the green every time.  
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:26:54 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2013, 06:30:22 AM »
3.  The least inviting tee shot - one cannot see the depth of the landing area - but probably the best place to be if one is not going for the green.  Again, it is hard to explain or even understand why, but it seems that with many pin positions it is easier to get it close from over there. But many golfers never bother to try it because the tee shot is an awkward distance and looks more challenging.

The distance is SOOOO awkward that you did not give any clue as to what it is, nor what is left...{smiley face}

So, David...how far off tee to get to position 3 and how much (on average) is left?

RM
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »
I'm not calling this one the "best", but surely it is polarizable.  This is the 14th hole at Baywood Greens in Long Neck, Delaware.  The 'island' left fairway route plays about 360 yards, the right fairway plays about 420.

Some clickable views:

From the tee:

At times you might feel like you are at Longwood Gardens!

From the left fairway (the route I took, leaving a short iron in):

View from over the green:

There's a similar island fairway hole at Desmond Muirhead's McCormick Ranch in Scottsdale, #9 on the Palm course: http://www.mccormickranchgolf.com/PalmCourseHole.asp?Hole=9

If you can find the island fairway, it's not a long hole. I've only played there twice, but I think I went 3-wood/wedge both times. The long way around is very unappealing--it's so much longer, and a finger of water juts in front of the green creating a forced carry anyway.

Another unusual feature there is that the forward tee is on the island. That is a good thing for the drive, I suppose. But I played one round with a lady playing from that tee and once she was on the island she had very little chance of getting off. She could get tee shots lofted, but had a hard time consistently getting a wedge in the air. Even if she'd gotten right up to the edge of the lake, it's still probably 50 yards of carry or so, and she wash;t interested in dumping 2+ balls in the pond just hoping she might get one airborne.

DMoriarty

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2013, 02:06:23 PM »
The distance is SOOOO awkward that you did not give any clue as to what it is, nor what is left...{smiley face}

So, David...how far off tee to get to position 3 and how much (on average) is left?

RM

From the back tee to the No. 3 on the aerial is about 200 yards. The carry over the diagonal rough ridge splitting the fairway is between 170 to 185 yards from the back tee.  It doesn't sound awkward and the reality is there is plenty of room over there, but (because of the diagonal ridge) the fairway surface is blind and it feels like you are hitting toward out of bounds.  

Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2013, 03:06:34 PM »

There's a similar island fairway hole at Desmond Muirhead's McCormick Ranch in Scottsdale, #9 on the Palm course: http://www.mccormickranchgolf.com/PalmCourseHole.asp?Hole=9

If you can find the island fairway, it's not a long hole. I've only played there twice, but I think I went 3-wood/wedge both times. The long way around is very unappealing--it's so much longer, and a finger of water juts in front of the green creating a forced carry anyway.

Another unusual feature there is that the forward tee is on the island. That is a good thing for the drive, I suppose. But I played one round with a lady playing from that tee and once she was on the island she had very little chance of getting off. She could get tee shots lofted, but had a hard time consistently getting a wedge in the air. Even if she'd gotten right up to the edge of the lake, it's still probably 50 yards of carry or so, and she wash;t interested in dumping 2+ balls in the pond just hoping she might get one airborne.

Another one in this style is #6 at Kings North in Myrtle Beach

KingsNorthHole6

http://www.myrtlebeachnational.com/media/images/KingsNorthHole6.jpg

Kings North @ Myrtle Beach National #6 - par 5 the Gambler view from island fairway

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2013, 06:44:30 PM »
Kings North @ Myrtle Beach National #6 - par 5 the Gambler view from island fairway

More like the Floater view from the channel.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2013, 07:41:47 PM »
9th Lost Farm

David Mulle

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2013, 12:56:11 AM »
3) The hole has multiple options.

John,

For me this seems to be a myth.
Every split fairway hole I've played there was one very clear option, and not much of a reason to take the other 'option.'  No temptation.

It was already mentioned in the thread, but 13 on Bethpage Red is an example of a hole with a split fairway that really does have two options.  

If you go right (which is the easier tee shot), you have to carry a bunker on approach shot to a very shallow green.  If you go long, it is a tricky pitch/chip given the contours of the green.

If you go left, the green really opens up for you and it is a much, much easier shot.  You don't have to come up over the bunker so coming up short is not a bad play and the green is much deeper when you come at it from the left.  But the tee shot down the left is much tighter and if you miss right (which most golfers at Bethpage do) then you are in some very penal bunkers.

I usually end up wishing I tried the other option but that may say more about the current state of my game than anything else.

John Avram

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 11:38:10 AM »
How about #14 at San Juan Oaks?

http://www.golffrontier.com/Courses/UnitedStates/California/Hollister/SanJuanOaksGolfClub.aspx?ShowTour=true

The course tends to kick my butt,  but that hole is awesome!

Ed Homsey

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2013, 01:37:37 PM »
A very interesting thread.  Has caused me to search my memories of split-fairway holes.  I recall the 2nd and 16th holes at the Durand-Eastman Muni.  On the 16th, the pin position often dictated one's choice (each with a bit of a risk).  Someone mentioned the 14th at Mill Creek.  I'm assuming that is the Mill Creek near Rochester, and that the 11th at Mill Creek is the intended hole  (the 14th isn't a split-fairway).  The 11th is not my favorite hole, though it does offer some very interesting choices.  I believe that the topography dictated the configuration on the 11th.  None of my choices rival other holes presented on this thread in terms of look and interest.  

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2013, 01:57:29 PM »
A very interesting thread.  Has caused me to search my memories of split-fairway holes.  I recall the 2nd and 16th holes at the Durand-Eastman Muni.  On the 16th, the pin position often dictated one's choice (each with a bit of a risk).  Someone mentioned the 14th at Mill Creek.  I'm assuming that is the Mill Creek near Rochester, and that the 11th at Mill Creek is the intended hole  (the 14th isn't a split-fairway).  The 11th is not my favorite hole, though it does offer some very interesting choices.  I believe that the topography dictated the configuration on the 11th.  None of my choices rival other holes presented on this thread in terms of look and interest.  

No, JNC definitely intended the 14th (he's not a fan of the 11th).  The creek bisects the fairway on a diagonal leaving 2 distinct options, with a potential to carry everything with a huge drive.  They have switched the set-up between a par 4/5 at times, which changes the nature of the split fairway, but you generally need to commit to one side or the other.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2013, 02:37:45 PM »
Ed and Kevin.

You have the split-fairway 11th, which also terraces, making it unique. You then have the par-four 14th, which has two options off the tee. Just for giggles, you also have the split-fairway 4th and 18th at Mill Creek. Even 5 and 7 have split options. I think that Paul Albanese went split-crazy at MCGC.

Here is an overhead of the course:

http://tinyurl.com/lda8avn
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:39:58 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Schott

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2013, 09:30:14 AM »
How about #14 at San Juan Oaks?

http://www.golffrontier.com/Courses/UnitedStates/California/Hollister/SanJuanOaksGolfClub.aspx?ShowTour=true

The course tends to kick my butt,  but that hole is awesome!

Kicks my butt too, especially 14 and 15. 14 seems to play longer than the listed yardage and the central creek tucks up to the green on the right.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2014, 05:09:52 PM »
Augustine Golf Club #1 in Stafford, VA

http://www.golfaugustine.com/golf/hole-by-hole.html#a

I used to just aim down the middle ensuring I would either be in the left or right fairway...

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
13th at Holiday Valley in Ellicottville, NY. It has the cart path down the middle, but in a way that somewhat hides it.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2014, 02:51:58 AM »
It was already mentioned in the thread, but 13 on Bethpage Red is an example of a hole with a split fairway that really does have two options.  

If you go right (which is the easier tee shot), you have to carry a bunker on approach shot to a very shallow green.  If you go long, it is a tricky pitch/chip given the contours of the green.

If you go left, the green really opens up for you and it is a much, much easier shot.  You don't have to come up over the bunker so coming up short is not a bad play and the green is much deeper when you come at it from the left.  But the tee shot down the left is much tighter and if you miss right (which most golfers at Bethpage do) then you are in some very penal bunkers.

I usually end up wishing I tried the other option but that may say more about the current state of my game than anything else.

This is one of my favorite holes to discuss. Me and Michael Felton were debating it last month in a thread that got wiped out. My contention was that for most players the right side tee shot isn't as safe as the left side is rewarding. It's not to say that certain players, based on their shot tendencies and misses, shouldn't always choose the right side. It's more that the right has dangers that neutralize some of its benefits of safety. So to your point above, while left is clearly the easier approach, I wasn't totally convinced that the right is clearly the easier drive. Good fun.

There is also some visual trickery on the tee that makes the right appear to be the easier play. But if you look at the aerial below, you'll see it's not so cut and dry. The fairway on the right side requires quite a bit of precision to be hit. While the widest stretch of fairway landing zone on the entire hole is actually on the left side, extending up to 255 from the tee and leaving only 135-140 (and a perfect angle) to the center of the green.

That all said, if you're a bomber who can carry the right side corner of the hazard (about 265 from the back tees), fairway or no, you're likely down there far enough to make much of this null. I don't have that ability as I drive it rather low, so it's left for me always.

It's also an interesting hole in that:

The longer you hit it down the LEFT side, the more the fairway narrows.
The longer you hit it down the RIGHT, the more it widens.

LEFT has trouble on both sides of the drive and approach, requiring straighter shots.
RIGHT has trouble that needs to be carried on both drive and approach, requiring higher shots.

Obviously, I'm quite fascinated by this hole.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back