News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Is this a joke or for real ?
« on: December 22, 2013, 06:14:51 PM »
I received this email today and didn't know if it was a joke or for real.

Does anyone know if this is authentic or a prank ?

Your thoughts

Dear Members,

It is now 5 weeks since the club opened after over seeding and just over 3 months since the transfer of ownership. 
During this brief time there have been many improvements at the club, some of which are:

Our entire fleet of maintenance equipment has been replaced with brand new Toro equipment (the best in the industry).

Wages for our staff have been increased to be among the highest in the state.  We have added additional staff throughout the club and have increased our service levels considerably.

Our golf carts have been replaced with new GPS equipped super comfortable carts.

Numerous improvements have been made to our clubhouse, most noticeably in the way of much needed lighting and new large (and in some cases very large) high definition televisions.

Our food service is better.  We’ve added a new very talented chef and are placing a high emphasis on service and atmosphere.  We’ve even added a new signature food item, that I personally make it a point to order at the turn every time I’m at the club:  The National Strip Burger.  I highly recommend you try one.  In fact, the first one you order will be on me.

While much has been done, there is much more to do to make Scottsdale National one of the finest golf clubs in the world.  Here are some of the things we are working on:

Redesigning the golf course to make it more playable and more breathtaking.  This does not mean easier nor more difficult.  As part of this process we are working with golf course architects to relocate existing holes 15 through 18 so that the flow of the course is better and it is a much more enjoyable walk.

We also want our 18th hole to present a panoramic and breathtaking view during the finish of the round.  Currently it finishes at the parking lot.

After we relocate holes 15 through 18, we hope to build in that mountainous area a spectacular nine hole par 3 golf course.  This will include our existing hole 16 which will remain largely as is, and become part of the nine hole par 3 course.

The above changes to the course will require approval from the City of Scottsdale.  Should the city not approve, we will work within whatever constraints they provide to make our golf course experience as special as possible.

As we improve our golf course we will also build a new clubhouse that will remedy the various shortfalls of our existing club house.  Among the new amenities it will feature breathtaking views of our golf course (especially the starting and finishing holes) and underground parking.

We will also be building a very nice entrance to the club, which will feature a guard house and security guard.

We will be building additional restrooms/amenity stations throughout our course and any new course we build.  Our goal is when nature calls a restroom is always close by.

All of these improvements will require a significant investment (in excess of $35 million dollars) and time to implement.

Hopefully we will begin work on this during late spring/early summer.  The club will be shut down completely for at least six months.   As our costs are on going, monthly dues will continue.

Our plans are once we re-open that our club continues its transformation into an incredibly exclusive national golf club.  At this time I expect to reopen our membership but on a very select and invitational basis.

For us to be successful it is important that our members support the club.  This includes hosting guests at the club and patronizing the club in all areas.

Currently our members who use the club the most support the club the least.  In fact, many members who are at the club each and every day spend nothing and do not support the club at all.  This will not continue.

To balance the scales here, so that members support the club in proportion to the degree in which they use it, we will be adopting the following fee structure effective December 9, 2014:

There will no longer be a golf cart usage fee.  Golf carts will be provided on a complimentary basis whenever a member or guest wants to use one.

Members will be charged a service fee for every day they play the course.  The service fee will be $100 and will not increase regardless of the level of play that day.

The greens fee for guests will increase to $200 and extended family members will increase to $190.

Members will be limited to the number of times they may play the course, without hosting a guest, during any golf year to 30 times.  Our golf year goes from opening in Fall to Summer closing.  For those of you who are family members, each spouse may play the course 30 times without a guest.  To be fair we will let everyone start fresh here beginning tomorrow.  So all the rounds of golf you may have played earlier in this golf year before now, will not count towards your 30 round limit for this golf year.
I understand that many of our members will not like the above policy (particularly those who play the course the most and spend the least).  To be as fair as possible I will be providing a window for those members who find the new policy unacceptable.

It is within my rights to simply let members resign and receive a refund for 50% of the amount they paid to join the club (i.e. platinum members get $55,000, silver members get $12,500).  But that’s not my style.

I will refund to any member who wants to resign his/her membership the full amount they paid to join the club, provided the resignation is submitted on or before January 31, 2014.

For example, members who resign and paid $110,000 to join the club will receive a refund of the entire $110,000, and members who paid $25,000 to join will receive a refund of the entire $25,000.  These refunds will be paid within 30 days of resignation.   Once a member resigns they will no longer be able to play the course and their dues will stop immediately.

Should you decide to take advantage of this full refund resignation opportunity please contact our club secretary, Sharon Carry for particulars.

I fully expect many members will take advantage of this resignation opportunity and leave the club.  After this happens and we start inviting new members to the club, the new members will largely reside out-of-state and when they come to the club they will bring guests.

Even at its peak, I believe the club will experience only a fraction of the play that it receives now.  The big difference will be that those playing the course will be paying their fair share.  So tee times will continue to be unnecessary and when members wish to bring guests to the club it will always be wide open for their play.

I will be very selective with regard to who I invite to be members.

Scottsdale National will always be about providing the very best golf experience for its members.  It will provide the very best facilities (both golf course, club house and other amenities) with a friendly service level second to none.

For the members who do not opt to resign and continue with the club, I promise you a golf experience as good or better than anywhere else on earth.

Best Always,

Bob Parsons, Owner & CEO
Scottsdale National Golf Club
29001 N. 122nd Street
Scottsdale, AZ  85262
Phone: (480) 443-8868
http://www.sngc.com

Joe Bausch

Re: Is this a joke or for real ?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 06:17:28 PM »
This was posted days ago to GCA Pat, if not weeks.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57440.0.html
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 06:21:24 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 06:27:52 PM »
100% authentic.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 06:29:23 PM »
I like that it's going to be "more exclusive" by requiring members to bring more guests
(because being charged $100 to play your own course isn't enough)
maybe they can get caddies in white suits for the backs of the(complimentary) carts

ick....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 07:20:14 PM »
They've got those caddies Jeff.  My nephew was one.  Now he's at Whisper Rock and happy.  

The course is solid if not inspired.  Getting a new 15-18 would be helpful.  

Greg Tallman

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 07:39:14 PM »
My goodness. What a horrendous communication. He can say what he wishes but no need to come of as  clueless rube in doing so!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 07:58:25 PM »
I think it is a great communication. He is looking for a niche market of golfers. It is not for me, but who offers to refund 100%?

The list of modern owners who put their own interest above that of the members is very long. This guy is writing checks, and I wish there were more people in golf like this.

I don't need to play every course out there, but I did play a Johnny Miller course today instead of Streamsong and liked, not loved it :)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 08:43:09 PM »
It's an interesting approach -- especially the promise at the end.  I wonder if I could hold him to that and make him fly me to the best golf experience on earth every time I wanted to play?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 08:46:38 PM »
The joke is that Mucci finished a sentence in a thread opener.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 09:05:09 PM »
The joke is that Mucci finished a sentence in a thread opener.

Is that a first?
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

JNC Lyon

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 09:05:14 PM »
Can any professional architects out there tell us how they would re-build a course to make "more breathtaking"?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 09:12:14 PM »
Mike & Tom,

I'm not that familiar with the Scottsdale market, but, I do have a number of friends who belong to nearby clubs.

I've been in contact with three of them and they're stunned by the memo/email.

It would appear that he's relying on non-resident members to visit and support the club.
I don't get it, isn't almost everyone who plays golf in Scottsdale a non-resident who visits in the winter ?

I guess, if you have deep pockets, you can do as you please, but, that gets expensive.

On the other end of the spectrum, there's Emerald Dunes, where members pay just one annual charge and everything is included except caddies.

It would seem that the Emerald Dunes model is far more attractive.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 09:14:33 PM »
Should be a fast round, might be tough to find a game though.  Does GO DADDY or whatever his firm is have deep enough pockets to support the reverse members drive? What a concept!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 09:48:49 PM »
Does GO DADDY or whatever his firm is have deep enough pockets to support the reverse members drive? What a concept!

Didn't he sell a portion of Go Daddy for $2 billion a few years ago.

He has a vision, I'll give him credit.  He only paid $600,000 to buy the club so he has some flexibility.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »
Joel,

How did he get an 18 hole golf course in Scottsdale for only 600K ?

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 10:33:32 PM »
Should be a fast round, might be tough to find a game though.  

You're not allowed to find a game.
You're required to bring one.

How do I make a small fortune?
Start with a large one...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John McCarthy

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 10:47:49 PM »
What is the best of life?

To crush your enemies, to have GPS equipped super comfortable carts, and to hear the lamentations of the women.

The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

David_Tepper

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 11:05:14 PM »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 11:07:21 PM by David_Tepper »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 12:08:46 AM »
David,

Neither link explained how he bought  262 acres containing a golf course and facilities, just outside of Scottsdale for only $ 600,000

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 12:11:03 AM »
at least his memo was pithy...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Daryl David

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 12:11:39 AM »
To be more precise, he bought the club for $600,000 plus he assumed all the debt outstanding.  That includes the membership deposits which he is saying he will refund if the members want to walk.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back