News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Lou Reed - Anybody Else Miss The Guy?
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2013, 10:38:48 AM »
Anybody paid up for the new White Light/White Heat Box?  Really want the live VU disc but am loathe to pony up $50+ for it when all I care about is the one disc
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

DMoriarty

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »
December 21, 1973 (30 years ago today). R & R Animal recorded live at Howard Stein's Academy of Music, NYC. Dust it off. How good was Steve Hunter?

You mean 40 years ago, and we are fast approaching 50 years for Velvet Underground and Nico.  R&R animal was a great album, maybe one of the best live Rock albums of the era, yet I feel somewhat the same way about it as I do about the Nico songs.  Fantastic musicians providing their take on great songs, but judging by my own listening habits I guess I prefer the rougher and simpler versions by VU.  Lou Reed and Sterling Morrison couldn't have come close to matching the musicianship of Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner and the rest of that band, but the VU sound continues to resonate with me nonetheless.

Jud T.

I haven't and probably won't.  I am not really much of a completist when it comes to music or golf courses.  I think I have heard most or all of that live recording, though.  Bootlegs have been floating around for a few years and at least some of the tracks are on the internet so you can at least check them out before you decide whether to buy.

Here is a link to the live recording of "Booker T" (similar to the the music side of The Gift) and another to "I'm Not a Young Man Anymore" which I don't think is on any other album.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o2YJNIsSdo

https://soundcloud.com/umesongs/the-velvet-underground-im-not/s-BV5ie
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 07:13:19 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Greg Gilson

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2013, 10:58:49 PM »
December 21, 1973 (30 years ago today). R & R Animal recorded live at Howard Stein's Academy of Music, NYC. Dust it off. How good was Steve Hunter?

You mean 40 years ago

Thanks mate. Now I know why someone needs to countersign my scorecards.

Steve Lang

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2013, 10:21:07 AM »
“One of the healthy diseases the avant-garde teaches you is don’t do anything that even resembles what anyone else does. Don’t even think about it! You’ll be laughed out of the club.”   ... J. Cale

LR's voice seems only a memory catalyst from decades gone by… a Warholian phoenix personna to be missed perhaps unfortunately by those not fully exposed to the late 20th century happenings; like missing a golden age gca dude's catalogue?    
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back