News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: What's The Most You HAVE Paid For Golf - and Where Was It?
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 06:25:55 PM »
The most I've paid for golf was the initiation fee at my home club.

+1 ;D ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 06:26:39 PM »
1. Whistling Straits course, $315 plus $40 for Caddie +$100 for Caddie Tip  -prime rates (weekend summer)

This could be fodder for another thread but has anyone paid in excess of $140 for caddie services?

Tim, I've played as an unaccompanied guest and have had to play with an asst pro. I was asked to pay for both my caddie and his = $250.

David_Elvins

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 06:27:50 PM »
FWIW (not much) I have played a bit over $200 to play Merion, Sunningdale, and Pasateimpo.  But I have not played Spyglass or Pebble despite several trips to Monterey.  So  I guess my limit is around $250.

Having said that, last year I made it to my home club once, and this year I have only used the practice fairway there so these are easily my two most expensive golf trips.  
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

jeffwarne

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 06:28:22 PM »
1. Whistling Straits course, $315 plus $40 for Caddie +$100 for Caddie Tip  -prime rates (weekend summer)

This could be fodder for another thread but has anyone paid in excess of $140 for caddie services?

Tim, I've played as an unaccompanied guest and have had to play with an asst pro. I was asked to pay for both my caddie and his = $250.

Yes but no doubt the conversation was good ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 06:29:02 PM »
$215 for the Dormie Club this year.  I got my first hole in one on the 9th hole, so it was 100% worh it!  ;D

Chris

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 06:31:47 PM »
I guess the highest green fee I've paid was for St Andrews Old at £135 or a little over $215.  

I flew to Long Island to play 36 at NGLA with Tiger Bernhardt, flew home the next day.

I would happily do the same again tomorrow - especially if Tiger could play too.   :'(

Ash Towe

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 06:52:29 PM »
A) Sunningdale Old. I think it was190 pounds

B) Cannot answer that.  When you live in NZ you have to combine it with a number of courses.  Even the when you combine air fares, accommodation, car rental and then green fees the cost mounts up.

Jud_T

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 06:56:47 PM »
1.  $500 to play Riviera unaccompanied.

2.  Not sure of the breakdown but B&B with guaranteed time at TOC had to be closer to a grand, not including airfare.  2 nights at the lodge at Pebble, a round each on Pebble, Spyglass and Spanish Bay with airfare and rental car had to be $3000.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Steffey

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 07:21:47 PM »
Shadow Creek ($500 + $100/caddy)

Trip was that round too.... because -

i flew out for the sole purpose of cashing in a SB bet.

in the summer of 2008 i was having lunch with a friend of mine.  her mom owns a chinese food place in the food court at the venetian.  she was going out to see her, so i gave her a couple hundred each to put down the prop 'to win' bets for the stillers and some nfc team.  well some 6 months later they won.  so i flew out and got my winnings.
then the next summer, she is going out again and i figure let's try it again.  gave her same couple hundred and this time went with some afc team and the saints (at 26-1!).   ;D
so in feb 2010 i went out after work one night and took my niece since she had never been there.  i had a big room, but at mgm at the time at least, if you deposited a pre-spent $500 they would upgrade you.  seemed an easy sell since i was going to play SC anyhow.  big multi bedroom suite.  we were in town for 32 hrs.  played golf, spent maybe $1400 and got paid to come out well ahead.

the next year i bet the stillers again, and they lost the SB....

i figured having just missed out on 3 in a row that the run had ended, so i stopped making that summer bet.  

Michael Essig

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 07:22:13 PM »
Made a detour on a drive from Los Angeles to Seattle to pay $495 at Pebble followed by $370 at Spyglass the next day.  Tempered my expenses by staying in a $30/night motel in Seaside and eating at Denny's.  At least I have my priorities straight! ;D

To throw this in, an acquaintance of mine in Seattle was invited to play at Pine Valley; invited by a local elderly gentleman here in Seattle.  He told me they only had one other guest coming leaving space for one - so my thinking was "why not me as the fourth."  Figuring this may be the only time in my life the opportunity may present itself, (and never forgiving myself for not taking an opportunity in my youth to go to the Masters; read below), I told my friend if he could get me in as the fourth, I would pay for his airfare to PV.   I never received the invite, and found out a few months later that the trip was canceled when the elderly gentleman became ill.  I felt sorry for my acquaintance that he missed the opportunity of a lifetime.  

The take away, I am willing to pay for a unique opportunity.  I can't take the money with me when I leave this planet, so I spend it on my only vice - golf.

I have told people the only regret I have in life is not saying yes to attend the Masters for the entire week when I was 22.  I was young and didn't have much extra money lying around.  The reality is that I had some money and could have made it happen, but I was raised to be frugal with money and I would have not had much left if I went.  The invite caught me off guard, and I asked how he could make this happen; even in 1985 tickets were sold out and scalped tickets were expensive; my mind already made up that I couldn't afford it whatever his answer.  He then answered, "All you have to do is get to Atlanta from LA.  I will take care of everything from there.  We will stay at my parent's family home in Atlanta and fly daily to Augusta on our family plane with whomever is going to the tournament, just as we do every year for the Masters."  I was at a loss for words except "uh-oh" running through my brain.  I will let you derive your own implications from his answer.  

Never forgetting the opportunity to which I said no, I think about whether or not I will likely ever have the opportunity again, and if the answer is no, then cost is a small factor in the decision making process.  I can always make more money; some opportunities are unlikely to ever come again.

When the offer came (an went) for the round at Cypress Point about 1 year ago, the opportunity seized by Alex Miller, I asked my wife if she would have been fine with me going (and the $800 last second plane ticket plus rental car and hotel motel) to play, she said, "I would have driven you to the airport."

Like Pete P., I would fly to Oakmont for one round at $1000.  

Although I guess I have my own limits, I was unwilling to pay for a foursome at Muirfield next year at I think $1200 or $1300 for my son and I; that would have been $600+ per person per round.  As much as anything, it was wasting the two open spots that bothered me.  So Gullane #2 it will be!  

Sorry for the long answer.  
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:02:31 PM by Michael Essig »

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 07:53:39 PM »
1. The most I've paid to play was $250 plus caddie fees at Pinehurst #2.
2. The only time I've travelled a significant distance to play a single course was driving to Sutton Bay. Don't remember an exact cost, but I drove and fell asleep by accident at a rest stop on the way home, saving me a hotel stay. Couldn't have been more than $300.

TK

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 08:00:45 PM »
Oakland Hills South - $250 for round and caddie - it was worth every penny!

Lost Dunes - $200 for round and caddie - I would do it again!

Two great experiences and I will have memories for a lifetime!
"Pure Michigan"

BHoover

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 08:19:36 PM »
The most I've ever spent was about $300 (incl. caddie) at Royal Isabela in Puerto Rico. Glad I did it, but it's not a course I've really thought about playing again (went to PR for a wedding; if I'm ever there for work, I'd consider playing again).

I will spend the money to go to Bandon in a couple years.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 08:19:46 PM »

Incidentally, what did you think of the Himalayan Golf Club?  It was my amongst my well-traveled former boss's (Ron Fream) favorites.

Matt:

I have posted about that trip a bit here, but never given a full rundown.  [I really should organize myself to do that one of these days -- we got some good pictures.]  I think going to Nepal to see Himalayan G.C. was some of the best money I've ever spent.  I loved the golf course, and the course and the whole experience of being in Nepal really opened my eyes in many ways.  There were a couple of awful, boring holes [and the vagaries of the routing force you to play them twice!], but there were also some of the best and most unconventional holes I've seen in many years, and the whole "maintenance meld" was completely different than anything I've seen -- but it worked perfectly.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 08:23:43 PM »
£125 NOT to play Western Gailes as it was blowing 80+mph gusts.

Golf trip to represent RCP at Royal Melbourne, probably £4000 for the week.
Cave Nil Vino

jonathan_becker

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »
For just a green's fee, $495 to walk and carry at Pebble Beach.

Door to door, a short notice invite to Cypress Point for two days (main objective, obviously) with Pebble as an extra day came out to around $1100+ per day for three days.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 08:40:05 PM »
Well, I have no idea.  My most expensive golf ventures have been from USA to Scotland and Northern Ireland.  My guess is that the on-site costs were probably greatest at Muirfield (had to pay for two rounds) and Royal Troon (had to pay for two courses) and St. Andrews Links (had to pay for two courses).  Maybe $350 + or -; who knows.  If you can afford to pay $3,500 total or so to travel from the USA to Scotland or Ireland for golf for a week with your buddies, the difference between paying $150 0r $185 for a name course is immaterial.  My sense is that my perspective is a little different for most of the guys (and gals) on this site, because when I travel for the name/famous courses, it has everything to the trip, and who I'm going with, and nothing to do with the rep of the courses.  Apart from that, if I've traveling and paying big bucks for it, I want more than golf.  For example, I've been to Bandon and looked over the courses a little.  If my buds fixed a trip and wanted to go, I'd consider.  But the resort style, as such, is not for me.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:58:45 AM by Carl Johnson »

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2013, 08:44:24 PM »
For a single round, about $295 at Kingsbarns to walk and carry.

I'm going to thread-jack a little for question #2. I've done 3 trips to Ireland/Scotland, and one trip to Bandon. And Streamsong. And probably will do a few more, but all of these were for multiple courses - 4 round minimum. It averages out.

If you define it as one event, I spent about $1700 in 2007 to schlep to London to see Led Zeppelin.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »
a)  Most I've paid was $500 at Pebble and $450 plus caddy tip, etc. at MPCC.  That was an expensive trip...

b)  The trip to Pebble was by far the most expensive, but I did play more than one round.  Most for one day of golf had to be Ballyneal.  Flight, rental car, gas, and of course the fees to play

John Kirk

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2013, 08:54:42 PM »
I think I paid $475-495 to play Pebble Beach, at a reduced rate due to recent aeration.  Great day.  Started around 9:30 AM and played in four hours and ten minutes.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 09:18:50 PM »

Multiple times, but never because I had to and never to a "pro" caddy.

Tim Martin

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »

Multiple times, but never because I had to and never to a "pro" caddy.

KK- I am speaking to when it was the "suggested" rate including tip and not when you greased the guy over and above.

Edward Moody

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2013, 09:32:20 PM »
Whistling Straits was $370  plus $60 caddie fee plus $40 caddie tip.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2013, 09:54:09 PM »
a.  Paid the full whack at Pebble Beach in October, but as it was in the context of a 10-day celebration of my spouse's 50th birthday, the cost of the golf was just a rounding error when all was said and done.
b.  Don't think I've ever flown anywhere just to play a round of golf, so my first game at Cypress which involved dropping off my sprogs at school/nursery at 8 am, a 1.5 hour drive to the Peninsula, 18 holes of golf and then 1.5 hours back to pick up the sprogs at 3 pm for ~$250 including caddy and gas is probably my tops.
c.  Of course there was also the time I visited Ponte Vedra Beach, on a short break from some serious work in New Jersey (I was living in California at the time, and tghe CEO was having trouble organise a meeting with the Board), where after playing Sawgrass CC I got an urgent call from the CEO's office requesting that I fly up that night for a 20 minute meeting with the Board the next day.  This I duly did and then flew back down to Sawgrass to play the TPC for a couple of days before returning to California.  My fee for the 20-minute Board meeting more than covered my cost of the three rounds of golf and hotel and travel......
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Steve Burrows

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2013, 10:04:59 PM »
1. I paid $330 (Australian dollars) for Kingston Heath, which at the time converted to just under $300 American dollars.

2. A round of golf was not the primary reason for the visit to Melbourne (my wife and I went to Australia on our honeymoon), but we were only in the city for one day, and who knows when they are going to have a chance to go all the way back there again?  Thus, a round of Sandbelt golf was pretty high on my list of things to do in the short time we had there.  The travel and lodging component of our 2-week trip probably ended up being around 8-10K (I don't recall the details).  
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back