News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: What's The Most You HAVE Paid For Golf - and Where Was It?
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2013, 09:30:35 AM »
Tony it is very easy to see why Royal Birkdale is the favourite Open venue of the pros, nice flat motorways through the dunes.
Cave Nil Vino

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2013, 10:20:56 AM »
Most paid was $475 X 2, when my wife and I went to Pebble with another couple several years ago.  I was helping my friend coach his son's jr. high basketball team, and after one of the games, we watched the Pebble Beach Pro Am on tv.  He called the resort and got a tee time for the next weekend, so we took the short trip from Vegas.  

In retrospect, the thing I'm happiest about is that the next Christmas I put his scorecard in with a framed picture of Pebble.  The 79 he shot meant a lot, since he acquired a medical condition that has curtailed his golf.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2013, 10:31:17 AM »
I paid $10K in a charity auction which got me a foursome at Sand Hills with lodging and golf included. We flew on a Gulfstream and had limo transport from North Platte. Jeff Rude and Dave Seanor from Golfweek came along.

It didn't suck.

Judge,

That $10k didn't include the Gulfstream did it?  If so, what a deal.  I'm guessing "no" though  :)

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »
From a value perspective, what would you all consider an event with 2 rounds at the Greenbrier Old White and 1 round on the Greenbrier course with 3 nights lodging at the hotel for $600 per player total, including a (modest) prize pool?

Per night?

If that's the total number, its a bargain.

Yes, total number. Arrival Thursday evening, skins game on Friday on Old White, 2 day tournament on Saturday & Sunday, check out Sunday. We are booking it for 2015.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2013, 10:57:17 AM »
Jet included
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

jeffwarne

« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2013, 11:03:54 AM »
I paid $10K in a charity auction which got me a foursome at Sand Hills with lodging and golf included. We flew on a Gulfstream and had limo transport from North Platte. Jeff Rude and Dave Seanor from Golfweek came along.

It didn't suck.

Unless the jet and everything else was donated, I'm struggling to see how the numbers of this work?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jonathan_becker

« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2013, 11:05:35 AM »

It didn't suck.

Unless the jet and everything else was donated, I'm struggling to see how the numbers of this work?

Haha that's such a great deal isn't it, Jeff?!  

Well done, Terry.  A bargain!

jeffwarne

« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2013, 11:09:52 AM »

It didn't suck.

I have my own(no doubt unpopular) opinions about a lot of "charity" golf, but I absolutely applaud Terry for picking up what sounds like a "too good to be true"  bargain
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Terry Lavin

« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2013, 01:20:58 PM »

It didn't suck.

The jet and the rest was donated by Mike Keiser and a charity benefitting disabled children got all of the money. As I recall, I bought a LACC/Riv outing the same day, without the plane.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Carl Rogers

« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2013, 07:35:07 PM »
Is the jist of this thread that ultra high dollar golf may not be worth it?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back