News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Re: What's the most difficult
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2013, 10:58:08 AM »
Trails

because it is awesome, most private feel at Bandon   8)
It's all about the golf!

John McCarthy

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
Gib:  Butler has a set of short tees for the older crowd.  Makes the course rather playable.  6200 to 6300.  
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2013, 12:08:34 PM »
with my game ALL courses are difficult!

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2013, 12:56:25 PM »
William,

At the age of 70, the idea of climbing #16 at Trails into a ripping gale - fresh from trying to beat a rescue club into #15 - would be a bit much in my dotage. I suppose playing first thing in the morning, before the wall of wind cranks up out of the north might be okay - but there are better choices. The drip drip drip of father time eventually (aside from Mucci) erodes your ability to compress the pellet. The last time I ballooned one on #16 at Trails, the fucking ball practically came back at me.

I'm going to throw up my hands at this point and assert that I'm not interested in playing hard courses past the age of 65. Let's just put a down payment on a cottage next to Westhampton and surrender to the inevitable. Truth be told, I will never, ever move to the East Coast - so our Ocean and Cliffs courses will have to do.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 06:09:06 PM by Gib Papazian »

David Davis

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2013, 01:17:31 PM »
Definitely my home course: Noordwijkse.

It's as tough as any. However, we also have dad's army tees now that don't require long carries and make it fun and pretty playable for the older high hcp crowd.

My opinion on a course like Pine Valley is that it's definitely too tough for all but a very exceptional few 60+'ers. Definitely a great experience to play once, twice or 10x but unless you are really a great player still at that age there are just too many long carries. I witnessed a very solid playing elderly gentleman really struggle out there from the front tees due to this.

I think a lot of courses are like that. I'd say Oakmont is the same. Way too tough IMO.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2013, 05:01:33 PM »
The definition of difficult I take to mean a course that beats you  to death when you play either because it's beyond your skill level or  it's booby  trapped.  Few courses did that to me but I didn't enjoy any of them.

I'm sure multiple plays would have changed my mind somewhat as I learned to play the courses, but I was more than happy to leave and check it off forever
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2013, 05:57:45 PM »
delete delete
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

BCowan

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2013, 06:07:33 PM »
Gib

Your post is hilarious and i find it difficult to follow up.  

I will go with UofM, I could play it every day and not get tired of it.  So many interesting holes, blind tee shots, and many strategic choices.  It is a little difficult to walk for the older folk.  I would shorten some of the member tees.  The course gets better and better and I can't wait to see it when the renovation is completely done.  The course is 6600 from the tips and no one goes deep.  I can't wait to play Crystal next summer so i compare the two.  My game has been lost for 10 years, and I don't think i have broken 80 at UofM.  I wonder if Mr Mucci would like it?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2013, 02:27:01 AM »
Bcowan,

I like almost every course, I just like some better than others ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back