News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Curtiss

I am dying to play Sleepy Hollow...looks awesome online in the course review here on GCA

David Royer

It reminds me of the 18th at Riveria. 

Tim Passalacqua

I agree with Olympic Club.  At 330, you think your round would be safe, but it's not!  You hit a long iron down the left side of the fairway, so you can hit straight into that skinny green.  120 from the fairway sounds easy.  But the ball is a little below your feet, the shot is uphill, and the green is pretty narrow in the front.  Definitely, a birdie opportunity, but a bogey is lingering if you aren't careful.  

Alex Lagowitz

Although I am very favorable of a hole with strategy and risk-reward, I almost always support the 18th hole being a tough test.  As a tournament golfer, I dislike par 5 finishers.  Yes, it gives great drama for a player trying to make up that last shot, but it really makes the hole less dramatic for a guy with a 1 or 2 shot lead.  Sure, not every course is set up to play tournaments, but even in a friendly match I would hate to see my opponent have a cake-walk par to win.

Thus, I prefer a strong test on the 18th.  I don't really like water or OB, because that ruins the fun.  One shot in the water or over the fence and the hole is over.  As Flynn once said, the recovery shot is the greatest fun in golf - or something like that.  Therefore, an ideal finishing hole would be one that is a stern test - a hard par - requiring the golfer to execute if he/she desires to post a score.  There should be some risk involved off the tee, so the golfer can decide to either make the tee shot easier or the approach shot, and pricing in the risk to do so.

In normal conditions, I like the 18th at Muirfield.  It is not a perfect representation of my ideal finisher but does the job well.  The risk is really in the rough, which is darn cruel.  I remember having a good round there once and contemplating hitting a 3 wood or bunt driver to ensure being in the fairway, accepting a longer, more difficult approach.  Since it wasn't a tournament, and the round was not record-setting by any means, I ended up hitting a full driver into the fairway.  However, I could only imagine the toughness in tournament conditions.  The nerves standing on the tee, knowing I have to hit the fairway.  Yes, the rough is a little too thick for my standards, but recovery is still an option (might be able to progress the ball).  I just hate easy finishers; make the golfer earn his score!

Jeff Taylor

Oakmont with NGLA a close 2nd.

Matt Schiffer

I agree with many who have mentioned Pasatiempo - despite it being an unusual end to the round, it feels really natural to have a par-3 there in the flow of the holes leading up to it.

Have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of slogging up a long hill to the clubhouse at the end of a round (walking, of course) so I tend to favor flat or even downhill finishes.  These particularly come to mind:

- The restored 18th at Cal Club is stunning
- Meadow Club in nearby Fairfax
- Gleneagles King's Course
Providing freelance design, production and engineering for GCAs around the world! http://greengrassengineering.com/landing/

Michael Felton

While conceding my bias, I am a big fan of the 18th on the New Course at Walton Heath.

Reading comprehension fail. I know the UK is sometimes called the 51st state, but it's most definitely not in the USA. USA 18th holes. Hmm. Of courses I've played, I've got to go with Pine Valley.

BCowan

Having only played this course once, I am going to go with #18 @ Battle Creek CC (MI). The Green is awesome.  Look forward to playing it again next year...

Matt Schiffer

While conceding my bias, I am a big fan of the 18th on the New Course at Walton Heath.

Reading comprehension fail. I know the UK is sometimes called the 51st state, but it's most definitely not in the USA. USA 18th holes. Hmm. Of courses I've played, I've got to go with Pine Valley.

Sorry about that!  It was my first ever post and I got a little excited.

Replace Gleneagles with Doak's Stone Eagle in Palm Desert.  Another fine example of a fun and beautiful finishing hole that doesn't leave you gasping for breath.
Providing freelance design, production and engineering for GCAs around the world! http://greengrassengineering.com/landing/

BCowan

Welcome to GCA Matt!

Ronald Montesano

Bigwin Island (off the radar choice)

NEWS FLASH: The USA has just acquired Ontario for a province to be named later. Bigwin Island is now part of the USA.

In our parts, the 18th at CC Buffalo and the Park Club merit consideration. The 18th at Orchard Park CC (NY) would also be in the running, save for a mundane and tiny putting surface.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:45:49 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Michael Felton

Replace Gleneagles with Doak's Stone Eagle in Palm Desert.  Another fine example of a fun and beautiful finishing hole that doesn't leave you gasping for breath.

Hi Matt,

I hope you didn't think I was talking to you with my "reading comprehension fail". I was talking to myself. I posted Walton Heath New and then when I came back later noticed the "in the USA" comment, so I posted that to correct myself. I didn't even realise that you had posted a non-US course as well.

Joel Pear

I really liked the 18th at the Links Course at Lawsonia.  OK, maybe that's because I eagled it (humble brag).

Brian Potash

I really liked the 18th at the Links Course at Lawsonia.  OK, maybe that's because I eagled it (humble brag).

Humblebrag - Subtly letting others now about how fantastic your life is while undercutting it with a bit of self-effacing humor or "woe is me" gloss.

For example -  I really like the 18th at Seminole, even though it countless plays I've never done better than bogey

You were just bragging.  :)

Matt Schiffer

Hi Matt,

I hope you didn't think I was talking to you with my "reading comprehension fail". I was talking to myself. I posted Walton Heath New and then when I came back later noticed the "in the USA" comment, so I posted that to correct myself. I didn't even realise that you had posted a non-US course as well.

Not a problem Michael - I need to learn how to read the Subject line sooner or later!  ;)

Jerry Kluger

Using Tom's criteria I would put Sand Hills right up there and I also really liked the 18th at Streamsong Blue with the strategy of the second shot and that clubhouse in view.   18th at the Ocean Course is a really fine finish as well.  

Bob_Garvelink

#18 at Forest Dunes

Great risk reward par 5.  It's reachable in two for big hitters but your firing into a peninsula green which makes things interesting.
"Pure Michigan"

Tom_Doak

Five posts in and there are already more than five holes I dislike!

Haha! Have you played any of them or just walked them?

I'll wager I've played more of the holes mentioned than you have.

Ironically, I've never played the 18th hole at Oakmont, which I nominated as one of the best.

Joel Pear

Humblebrag - Subtly letting others now about how fantastic your life is while undercutting it with a bit of self-effacing humor or "woe is me" gloss.

For example -  I really like the 18th at Seminole, even though it countless plays I've never done better than bogey

You were just bragging.  :)

Guilty Brian!

Jay Mickle

The 18th at The Bears Club, but maybe only because the heroic shot was rewarded.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Tom ORourke

Half Moon Bay -  Ocean Course. Much like PB 18 (par 5 obviously) but more elevation, more dogleg, reachable for long hitters (530 uphill) and a legitimate 3 shot hole for 99% of public. Strategy, scenery, scores from 4 to 7 pretty regularly. Not everyone likes the course but this hole is good.
A good thread might be the worst 18th on a good course, one that has you shaking your head.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

I've been fortunate to play a large number of courses including many great ones and have seen quite a few incredible closing holes. among the best:
Both Dismal River Courses
Sand Hills
Friars Head
Pebble
Wilshire
Riviera
Shinny
Stonewall Old
Rustic Canyon
Leatherstocking
CC of Buffalo
Five farms
Knollwood (NY)
Victoria Club
Stone Eagle
Yale

Pat Burke

Nothing I've played in the USA
has rivaled the goosebumps I felt
on 18 on TOC.  A bit cliche, I know.

I liked the 18th at Colonial

Mark McKeever

I think the 18th at Sleepy Hollow is undervalued.

Good call Dave!

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tom Allen

Love 18 at Pebble. Inverness is a great choice as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back