News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Bielawa

The Confidential Guide
« on: December 10, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »
As a newbie, I'm realizing that it's pretty critical for me to read this book!  I've looked online and I can't seem to find it for less than $200, and that's for a used copy.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get my hands on this book cheaper than that, or is that just the going rate?

Dan Kelly

Re: The Confidential Guide
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 03:22:09 PM »
I suggest that you find it in your local public library, or (if they don't have one) request it via an Interlibrary Loan.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »
Go to your local library and ask them to find it for you. I've done this many golf books like the Conf Guide, Life and work of MacKenzie as well as Golf Evangelist.  Easy and very cheap.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 03:26:35 PM »
Matt, that is probably a pretty good estimate of the going rate...

One sold on eBay over the weekend for $199 and it was marketed as being in "good condition."  

If you are going to pull the trigger and buy one at the price point, you may want to consider yourself lucky - a couple of years ago it was hard to come by copies for less than $500 and I believe I saw some that were selling for over $700 on eBay.  Keep in mind there are a couple of editions out there, I believe the one that was produced in the highest quantities has a yellow dust jacket and was printed by Sleeping Bear Press.  I believe the very first edition has a burgundy cover with gold lettering and no dust jacket - I don't believe there are very many of these out there and I believe Tom originally distributed these to his friends.

Tom Doak is in the process of writing a new Guide, but I believe it is planned in several volumes and will be released over several years.  I believe the first volume is on UK courses and is slotted for release next summer.  Tom frequents this site and I am sure if any of the above is incorrect, he will follow-up with the right information.  Some speculate that with the new Guides coming out, this will drive the going rate of the ones in circulation today down, but if that happens it won't be for a little while yet.

I have a copy and I do highly recommend it - it continues to be a great resource and a book I pick up at least once a month to look something up or just to flip through...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 03:29:15 PM »
Matt:

$200 is actually a pretty good deal for the original book.  Or it would have been, except:

I am working on a new edition, that will be multiple volumes.  The first volume will be out next summer, featuring the courses of Great Britain & Ireland.  I suggest you save your money for the new set, which will contain many more courses and reviews and features.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 03:33:34 PM »
Matt, I see the Doak score has been revealed to you. My many apologies for introducing you to the site. ;) I don't actually have a confidential guide so don't feel too lonely. Inverness was an 8.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 05:26:21 PM »
Hey Matt, that sounds about right for the price, but just keep an eye out--I was actually able to find a copy in great shape for about $100 on amazon. 

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:04:52 PM »
Hey Matt, that sounds about right for the price, but just keep an eye out--I was actually able to find a copy in great shape for about $100 on amazon. 

As was I.

I don't think it's 100% necessary unless you're planning an extensive golf trip somewhere. The book was incredibly handy for me as I was planning out my summer and it gave me a general idea of what courses I should be trying to look at.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Howard Riefs

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 10:35:21 AM »
There's a noticeable drop in the resale value of TCG.  On eBay, a number of copies (from "good" to "pristine" condition) have sold in recent days in the range of $100 to $200.  

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=confidential+guide+doak&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 10:51:45 AM »
I was able to locate a copy at a library, so I'm taking Tom's advance and saving my money for the time being.

Todd Melrose

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 01:04:57 PM »
Be patient and you'll find an affordable copy on eBay. I got mine for $135 used in decent condition

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 01:15:21 PM »
there are two on Ebay at the moment   169 acceptable condition, buy now and one at 269 like new

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 07:46:19 PM »
As a newbie, I'm realizing that it's pretty critical for me to read this book!  I've looked online and I can't seem to find it for less than $200, and that's for a used copy.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get my hands on this book cheaper than that, or is that just the going rate?

I live in sylvania, oh, I believe you live nearby based on your first post. The downtown main branch in toledo has a copy, it may simply be a reference book now as I told them how much it was worth.

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back