News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Bills

Re: The Best Opener in the USA - Long Cove Club?
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »
I have always thought the first at Shinnecock is one of the best.

I would concur with this opinion.  When I played it in September I cleared the two bunkers on the right and hit a 9 iron about 15 feet left of the pin and was told by my caddy had I been another foot left I would have been off the green likely in the bunker.  Proceeded to sink the birdie putt.  The views from that tee are amazing and just a great opening hole with the clubhouse so close and the views down in the valley out to the bay (Thankfully #10 is not the opener as that is one tough hole).    

Mike Hendren

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2013, 06:13:08 PM »
I'll agree with Messrs. Lewis and Gavrich - Olde Farm's 1st is stellar and the best hole on the course, imho.

Ironically, I'm quite fond of the 1st at Glen Mills where Bobby Weed again opens with the best hole on the property.  Credit to Professor Bausch (thanks Joe) for the following images:

From the tee it's best to play out to the right and flirt with the fairway bunkers:

From the fairway - see what I mean?:

Looking back:

Bogey
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:17:03 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jason Topp

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2013, 09:36:33 AM »
While I appreciate the many responses, not many have really answered my question (not that I asked it very well).  I'm not looking for a list of holes that might be better than LCC, but rather I'd like to see why people think this hole could be considered the best first hole in the country.

Mark - once you start a thread it is like releasing a teenager into the world.  Control over where it goes is an art I have yet to see anyone master.  I would love to participate in a Long Cove discussion but have not played the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back