News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Finn

Re: Donald Ross- which is your favorite and why?
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2013, 07:59:20 PM »
Has anyone played the Augusta Country Club ?

What's the assessment of that course ?

They allow 5-somes so it must be a dog track..... ;D :o ::) ;D

Thanks for the heads up.  It had been on my short list until I learned of this 5some business.

Additionally, I understand their maintenance budget exceeds $280k.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 08:01:40 PM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

jeffwarne

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2013, 08:06:55 PM »
Has anyone played the Augusta Country Club ?

What's the assessment of that course ?

They allow 5-somes so it must be a dog track..... ;D :o ::) ;D

Thanks for the heads up.  It had been on my short list until I learned of this 5some business.

Additionally, I understand their maintenance budget exceeds $280k.

Now i understand why it took 100 years to make the Top 100 classic.
they couldn't find enough raters willing to drop their standards and play it ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2013, 08:25:30 PM »
Are Ian Andrews and I the only fans of Essex County?  It is easily the best Ross course that I have played.  The quality of, and variety among, the holes and the greens is outstanding.    

BCowan

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2013, 08:26:56 PM »
This isn't an issue of group think. This is an issue of out right stupidity and ignorance.  The fact is that many top clubs (and non top clubs for that matter) allow for 5-somes.  I know of several places that allow for 5-somes and it doesn't even remotely come close to affecting the pace of play.

You are a season pass holder at a public course (despite your assertions that you belong to a private club) and so I can see the frustrations of a 5-some of someone like you.  The problem is, the issues at your course do not project to private golf clubs.

The fact of the matter is this: A) you have no idea what Seminole's policies are because you haven't been there and don't know anyone who is a member; and B) much like those who throw pot shots at Augusta National, you know you'll never be invited to play there so you don't really care what nonsense you post on this public forum.

Please stop with your insinuations that the members of Seminole don't have class and don't adhere to the customs of the game of golf.  Seminole is one of the true bastions of the game and only an uniformed and hopeless fool would say the things you've said.

I don't care if other top clubs do something, they can do as they please.  My home course isn't a public course!  What an elitist you are!  My club moves extremely fast and many are members of other top courses!  I have a friend who is a member of Seminole, so again you make assumptions and are a fool!  I also have friends who have played Augusta, and they think it is overrated!  "MORE GROUP THINK''!  From photos of the original Augusta i am much bigger of a fan!  You must like heaters under greens and dyed creeks!

Back to Seminole, as i have conversations with a friend of mine who is a member there about the issue.  They are a private club and can do as they like.  I don't tell them how to run their club!  I applaud the way they maintain their golf course.  I am also a huge Ross fan.  I never said the members of Seminole didn't have class!!!!  As i was taught to play the game by a Gentlemen that was an assist. to Byron Nelson and went on to be the head pro, and I share his view and customs of which he believed in!  You are a fool, because you think because you have played top courses that you are some pompous authority on the game of golf!  Again, you can't buy class, and the shoe fits the narrative with you JC Jones!

BHoover

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »
Forgot to list Congress Lake (Hartville, OH) as one of my favorites. I believe the original design was by Willie Park in 1923, and then Ross did a later re-design that opened in 1932. It's in need of some serious tree removal (not unlike many other courses), but it's on a great piece of rolling property. The par 3s are really fantastic--a couple short, uphill ones with really small, several pitched greens, a longer hole and even a par 3 finishing hole, which is unique amongst courses I know (the club history states that Ross kept Park's par 3 18th hole intact). Congress is very under the radar, particularly because of Canton Brookside, and although it's not going to be at the top of any ranking list, it definitely is deserves some attention. If you're in the area to play Brookside, make the 15-20 minute drive up the road to Hartville to check out Congress.

The other very cool feature is that the halfway house doubles as the fishing pro shop. I believe the club even offers fishing memberships (a few friends from my hometown are either golf or fishing members there).

Here's the only photo I could find of #2, an uphill par 3 of about 165 yards (unfortunate that the cart path intrudes so prominently on the view)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:27:47 PM by Brian Hoover »

BCowan

« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2013, 09:20:51 PM »
Brian

Congress Lake looks solid...  Willie and Donald that is a great duo.  I need to add that to the Ohio summer trip.  If the golf game is off i can do some fishing!  Nice post!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2013, 09:21:35 PM »
Richard

Fort Myers CC (Muni) is really fun to play.  The clubhouse is like a mini Pinehurst arch feel to it.  They did a big renovation to it around 20 years ago.  It is short and fun.  Your Ross list looks awesome.  I love looking for Gems...

My goal this time around is to play as many municipal and or public, yet possibly under appreciated Ross courses that may or may not survive in the near future. I saw that Petersham in Boston is NLE, and I was a bit bummed as it was on my list to play.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

jeffwarne

« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2013, 09:34:49 PM »
Richard

Fort Myers CC (Muni) is really fun to play.  The clubhouse is like a mini Pinehurst arch feel to it.  They did a big renovation to it around 20 years ago.  It is short and fun.  Your Ross list looks awesome.  I love looking for Gems...

My goal this time around is to play as many municipal and or public, yet possibly under appreciated Ross courses that may or may not survive in the near future. I saw that Petersham in Boston is NLE, and I was a bit bummed as it was on my list to play.

Richard,
In the Disney (and more importantly Streamsong ;D) area,
you have 2 VERY inexpensive Ross courses
Pinecrest
Bartow
both recomended with minor caveats
and one private
lake Wales CC
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2013, 09:39:44 PM »
To the north is the Walter Travis designed (1898) Great Dunes course on Jekyll Island. The open area to the South in the aerial picture from 1951 was most likely the Donald Ross course along the ocean. Too bad a road, shopping center and other junk sits there now….
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:44:21 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2013, 09:43:31 PM »
Richard

Richard,
Pinecrest
Bartow
and one private
lake Wales CC

THanks for a heads up! Streamsong is already on my list, but may not get them in until next winter!

JC Jones

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2013, 09:47:40 PM »

I don't care if other top clubs do something, they can do as they please.  My home course isn't a public course!  What an elitist you are!  My club moves extremely fast and many are members of other top courses!  I have a friend who is a member of Seminole, so again you make assumptions and are a fool!  I also have friends who have played Augusta, and they think it is overrated!  "MORE GROUP THINK''!  From photos of the original Augusta i am much bigger of a fan!  You must like heaters under greens and dyed creeks!

Back to Seminole, as i have conversations with a friend of mine who is a member there about the issue.  They are a private club and can do as they like.  I don't tell them how to run their club!  I applaud the way they maintain their golf course.  I am also a huge Ross fan.  I never said the members of Seminole didn't have class!!!!  As i was taught to play the game by a Gentlemen that was an assist. to Byron Nelson and went on to be the head pro, and I share his view and customs of which he believed in!  You are a fool, because you think because you have played top courses that you are some pompous authority on the game of golf!  Again, you can't buy class, and the shoe fits the narrative with you JC Jones!

I'm going to try and sift through the incoherence of your post in order to fashion a response to what I believe to be your relevant points:

1)  Radrick Farms is a public golf course, I don't care how much you say otherwise.  Also, the fact that Radrick is public doesn't make me elitist.  

2)  I don't know what "my club moves extremely fast" means.  If it is to mean playing time of less than 4 hours per round, I would submit to you that most clubs "move extremely fast," even those who allow 5-somes.  In fact, I recently played in a 6-some at a top course in less than 4 hours.  I'll let my host know that you have no interest in playing there.

3)  Your "friends" who have played ANGC and think it is "overrated" are idiots.  Though my guess is these friends are as real as Santa Claus.  (See  also #4 below)

4)  You have a "friend" who is a member of Seminole?  Is this the same guy who is able to run the maintenance of a golf course for <$280k?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Brian Finn

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2013, 09:50:21 PM »
No doubt Ross has an incredible number of really good golf courses...in addition to my favorite bunch (mentioned earlier) some others I have played that are well worth checking out include:

Springfield CC (OH)...some crazy greens, really fun course
Columbus CC (OH)...among a solid 'second tier' in CMH
Granville GC (OH)...discussed many times prior here, but not on this thread
Broadmoor CC (IN)...incredible greens, good 'bones' that are once again emerging as result of massive tree removal

On the other hand, Ross had involvement in 300+ courses...at some, he spent little to no time on site...so, there are some clunkers.  I have seen a couple firsthand.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

jeffwarne

« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2013, 09:51:37 PM »
Richard

Richard,
Pinecrest
Bartow
and one private
lake Wales CC

THanks for a heads up! Streamsong is already on my list, but may not get them in until next winter!

All in the same area as above
If you want all classic + Streamsong, throw in Lekarica (Stiles and van Kleek-very rough and ready-cheap and fun and elevation change)
and Mountain Lake (probably very doable in the summer)

BCowan

« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2013, 10:14:06 PM »
I'm going to try and sift through the incoherence of your post in order to fashion a response to what I believe to be your relevant points:

1)  Radrick Farms is a public golf course, I don't care how much you say otherwise.  Also, the fact that Radrick is public doesn't make me elitist.  

2)  I don't know what "my club moves extremely fast" means.  If it is to mean playing time of less than 4 hours per round, I would submit to you that most clubs "move extremely fast," even those who allow 5-somes.  In fact, I recently played in a 6-some at a top course in less than 4 hours.  I'll let my host know that you have no interest in playing there.

3)  Your "friends" who have played ANGC and think it is "overrated" are idiots.  Though my guess is these friends are as real as Santa Claus.  (See  also #4 below)

4)  You have a "friend" who is a member of Seminole?  Is this the same guy who is able to run the maintenance of a golf course for <$280k?

1.  Radrick Farms is not public, i don't know what warped definition you have for a public course!  No you are an elitist for you say i will never play August or Seminole!  You also think your opinion is of higher value because you have played this course or that top course-BS!

2.  ''so I can see the frustrations of a 5-some of someone like you'', That is how out of touch you are.  It isn't about whether 5 or 6 somes play fast, it has to do with traditions and ''No one is bigger than the game of golf belief''.  It is a mob like idea to me! Again you are the idiot for not being able to comprehend this!

3.  Well they don't put it in their top 12.  Oh, you have to resort to telling me that i am in fantasy land and have make believe friends, wow.  Again you are a classless smug elitist.  Going against ''Group thought'' really is a no no in JC Jones land!

4. Yes, i do!  No the people that run golf courses less than your approved ''good ole boy'' agenda is a threat to you of some sorts, shows how much of an insecure person you are!  Pathetic attitude you have that gives golf the stereotypical label.  Do you walk around in a blazer with your club logo on it to make yourself feel special?????
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:38:50 AM by BCowan »

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2013, 10:17:27 PM »
Richard

Richard,
Pinecrest
Bartow
and one private
lake Wales CC

If you want all classic + Streamsong, throw in Lekarica (Stiles and van Kleek-very rough and ready-cheap and fun and elevation change)

Jeff, what are the caveats?  I liked Pinecrest quite a bit.. and you're right, quite cheap!  I'm looking to play Lekarica in on the next time to Streamsong in a couple of weeks.

JC Jones

« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2013, 10:21:42 PM »

1.  Radrick Farms is not public, i don't know what warped definition you have for a public course!  No you are an elitist for you say i will never play August or Seminole!  You also think your opinion is of higher value because you have played this course or that top course-BS!

2.  ''so I can see the frustrations of a 5-some of someone like you'', That is how out of touch you are.  It isn't about whether 5 or 6 somes play fast, it has to do with traditions and ''No one is bigger than the game of golf belief''.  It is a mod like idea to me! Again you are the idiot for not being able to comprehend this!

3.  Well they don't put it in their top 12.  Oh, you have to resort to telling me that i am in fantasy land and have make believe friends, wow.  Again you are a classless smug elitist.  Going against ''Group thought'' really is a no no in JC Jones land!

4. Yes, i do!  No the people that run golf courses less than your approved ''good ole boy'' agenda is a threat to you of some sorts, shows how much of an insecure person you are!  Pathetic attitude you have that gives golf the stereotypical label.  Do you walk around in a blazer with your club logo on it to make yourself feel special?????

Walk around?  Child please.  I'm the president of the Riding Golfer Society.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Brian Finn

« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2013, 10:27:17 PM »

But, just to be clear, you wear a club logo blazer as often as possible...correct?

JC Jones

« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2013, 10:31:59 PM »

But, just to be clear, you wear a club logo blazer as often as possible...correct?

Of course.  No comment on whether I actually belong to the club.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2013, 10:34:34 PM »
2.  ...It isn't about whether 5 or 6 somes play fast, it has to do with traditions and ''No one is bigger than the game of golf belief''.  It is a mod like idea to me! Again you are the idiot for not being able to comprehend this!

Hmm, this is the first such objection to fivesomes I've ever heard. Can you explain more fully? Is your objection similar to that which some UK clubs have against four-balls, namely that the game was and is meant to be played in two-ball matches?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

jeffwarne

« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2013, 10:42:18 PM »
Richard

Richard,
Pinecrest
Bartow
and one private
lake Wales CC

Jeff, what are the caveats?  I liked Pinecrest quite a bit.. and you're right, quite cheap!  I'm looking to play Lekarica in on the next time to Streamsong in a couple of weeks.

Pinecrest?
just a couple holes on the front weaving through orange groves with OB right and left-cool place though-liked the vibe-
I'd say I liked it quite a bit as well.
Lekarica-very spotting conditioning but a lot of very good holes.again cool little pro shop/snack area
I would definitely play both, along with Bartow(good local lunch spot) again
Places like that ($24 inc cart) I never bother with the PGA thing as I figure they need the revenue

Eric Smith

« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2013, 10:46:47 PM »
Where's Jamie Van Gisbergen when you need him? I mean, c'mon..JC sashaying around in a club blazer? Next we'll assume he has a perfect head of hair like Fred Ridley! ;D

JC Jones

« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2013, 10:52:33 PM »
Where's Jamie Van Gisbergen when you need him? I mean, c'mon..JC sashaying around in a club blazer? Next we'll assume he has a perfect head of hair like Fred Ridley! ;D

Apparently Jamie van Gisbergen is at Seminole.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:56:04 PM by JC Jones »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2013, 10:53:21 PM »
JC sashaying around in a club blazer

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I literally have tears running down my face.  This is just so funny!

I thought the comment about boycotting Seminole for 5 somes was a joke.  I thought it was clever and quite funny.  So I highlighted it and put some smileys up.  BUT IT WASN'T A JOKE!  And from there this thing has spiraled into hilarious land...bizarro land.  And now JC is sashaying around in a club blazer.

Tears are rolling down my face I am laughing so hard.

Best thread on GCA this year.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:56:18 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2013, 10:53:54 PM »
Richard

Richard,
Pinecrest
Bartow
and one private
lake Wales CC

Pinecrest?
just a couple holes on the front weaving through orange groves with OB right and left-cool place though-liked the vibe-
I'd say I liked it quite a bit as well.
Lekarica-very spotting conditioning but a lot of very good holes.again cool little pro shop/snack area
I would definitely play both, along with Bartow(good local lunch spot) again
Places like that ($24 inc cart) I never bother with the PGA thing as I figure they need the revenue

Not that you took a cart, of course.

You're right, 6/7/8 didn't do a lot for me, but the green on 6 is pretty darned cool.  

When I teed off at Pinecrest -- with the spotty conditioning on the tees/fairway, and generally uninteresting first tee shot -- I thought I wouldn't like the course.  But once you see the first green, you know you're $30 was money well spent!

JC Jones

« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2013, 10:59:44 PM »
JC sashaying around in a club blazer

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I literally have tears running down my face.  This is just so funny!

I thought the comment about boycotting Seminole for 5 somes was a joke.  I thought it was clever and quite funny.  So I highlighted it and put some smileys up.  BUT IT WASN'T A JOKE!  And from there this thing has spiraled into hilarious land...bizarro land.  And now JC is sashaying around in a club blazer.

Tears are rolling down my face I am laughing so hard.

Best thread on GCA this year.

It's actually more like a members only jacket than a club blazer.  But I think it sends the same message.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back