News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

The Best Opener in the USA - Long Cove Club?
« on: December 16, 2013, 12:07:51 AM »
In the Doak Gazetteer, Tom Doak lists the par-4 1st at the Long Cove Club as the best opener in the USA.  Anyone (Tom) want to make the argument defending that position?

A couple photos of LCC's 1st can be found here: http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.ca/2013/05/long-cove-club-hilton-head-island-south.html

Michael Whitaker

Re: The Best Opener in the USA - Long Cove Club?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 12:41:30 AM »
Isn't this basically the same opener as the 1st at The Ocean Course?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Steve Lapper

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:46:10 AM »
Doesn't hold a candle to #1 at Oakmont (and several others).
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 08:58:49 AM »
My choice would be the first at Crystal Downs.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 09:04:25 AM »
Doak must have been joking.  Cart path and water right on an opening hole makes it a candidate for worst ever.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 09:06:50 AM »
Doak must have been joking.  Cart path and water right on an opening hole makes it a candidate for worst ever.

It's not a cart path, John... it's a waste bunker.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 09:12:32 AM »

It's not a cart path, John... it's a waste bunker.

Thanks.  That changes everything.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 09:13:26 AM »
I'm not certain it's even the best opener in SC.
Secession comes to mind.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 09:16:02 AM »
I'm not certain it's even the best opener in SC.
Secession comes to mind.

Or #1 at Yeamans....great double-plateau green.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

David Whitmer

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »
My dad was in Hilton Head playing golf with some buddies, and they teed it up at Long Cove. A friend of his, a pretty decent player, pumped three balls in the water right (two off the tee and one from the fairway). He proceeds to moan, "Holy shit...I just hit three BRAND NEW golf balls in the water!!"

My dad said, 'Herb, don't look at it as three golf balls...just think of it as one sleeve."

For what it's worth, I thought the first at Long Cove is a very good hole. I really liked the green complex. Best opener? I wouldn't give it my vote (based only on what I've played, I might choose the first at Chicago GC, Skokie, Pinehurst #2, or NCR South before I chose Long Cove). But obviously it's all subjective, and I respect anyone's opinion that differs from mine, especially a guy who's seen infinitely more courses than I have.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 09:35:31 AM »
Never played it, but I have to lean towards JK on this one

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 09:37:59 AM »
It looks like a damn fine hole from those pics but to those who have played both it and the 1st at NGLA - comments? The 1st at NGLA is probably the best first hole I've played in America. Granted my experience is limited.

Brian,

What do you see at Long Cove to call it a damn fine hole?  How can you get past the housing, swamp and a bunker so ugly I thought it was a cart path?

J_ Crisham

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 09:44:23 AM »
So many great 1st holes out there :
       Oakmont
       Charles River
       Eastward Ho
       Chicago Golf
       Yeamans
       Crystal Downs
       Sand Hills
       Cherry Hills
       Olympia Fields South
       Wakonda
       Spyglass
       The Dunes Club
       Milwaukee CC

JWL

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »
I'm with JK on this one regarding #1 as something special.
I suppose someone is going to put the 5th hole up for best 5th hole in America also. :)  I want to see guys play that hole without looking at the yardage marked on the sprinkler heads, since their range finder wouldn't work anyway,  and just play their bump and run by feel shots that are so beloved.   LOL..that ought to be fun.   Everyone has an opinion, and this 5th hole is one of the worst golf holes I have ever played.   Water over the green on a totally blind shot from the center of the fairway just doesn't get any worse for me...but hey, that's just mho.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 10:06:52 AM »
I'm not going to compare it to some of these others in terms of architectural quality, but I can't think of a 1st hole that makes my jaw drop as much as the 1st at Tobacco Road.  It wows me every time.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 10:13:08 AM »
On the other hand, there are few things more boring to me than a 'gentle handshake' as an opener. I see a lot of them, and no matter how different these first holes may be in other regards, the over-riding feeling/impression I get is "oh, a gentle handshake" -- which is kind of a waste in terms of getting me excited about/setting the tone for a course I've not played before. Granted, it's tough to know what works best for a first hole, and I might be hard to please for some reason - when Ian mentioned Crystal Downs, my first thought was: "Huh? A long downhill Par 4"? But then I could see it -- beautiful vista, tough but not brutal opening, a hole that's unique to/indicative of the course itself (with the tough sloping green); so sure, why not? Anything but a gentle handshake, anything but a wide, short Par 5.

Peter

Brian Finn

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »
Plainfield CC has one of the best opening holes I have ever played. 

In my view, far superior to Long Cove (and I think Long Cove #1 is a good hole).
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

archie_struthers

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 10:57:37 AM »
 8) ::) 8)

Cant stand the cart path in the picture to start. But pictures can fool you .

the 1st at Galloway is a great hole , just to name one .

Greg Tallman

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 11:10:20 AM »
I'm with JK on this one regarding #1 as something special.
I suppose someone is going to put the 5th hole up for best 5th hole in America also. :)  I want to see guys play that hole without looking at the yardage marked on the sprinkler heads, since their range finder wouldn't work anyway,  and just play their bump and run by feel shots that are so beloved.   LOL..that ought to be fun.   Everyone has an opinion, and this 5th hole is one of the worst golf holes I have ever played.   Water over the green on a totally blind shot from the center of the fairway just doesn't get any worse for me...but hey, that's just mho.

I knew if I waited long enough you and I would agree on something!  ;) I guarantee Bowman loves it however.

I just do not get the overall love of LCC. I really like parts of it (3,4,13,14,15) but just don't see greatness throughout.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »
Of the courses I've played...I really like #1 at Streamsong Blue.

It would be the best short 4 on almost any other course.  Gives you the opportunity to hit driver but you have to be precise...otherwise you can swing away with any other club with a nice wide fairway and good green comlex.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 11:25:37 AM »

It would be the best short 4 on almost any other course.  Gives you the opportunity to hit driver but you have to be precise...otherwise you can swing away with any other club with a nice wide fairway and good green comlex.

Good call.  Agree with your logic.  #1 on the Red is pretty solid too, but more of a firm handshake than a gentle one.

Lester George

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 11:36:52 AM »
Greenbrier Old White is considered by many (Tom Watson, Sam Snead included) as the best opening tee shot in America.  It is certainly one of the best I have seen.  First at Secession and Yeamans come to my mind as well.

Lester

John Kirk

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 01:03:41 PM »
My choice would be the first at Crystal Downs.

I thought of Crystal Downs first.  A couple more favorite opening holes are the short par 5 holes at Sand Hills and Riviera.  Especially Riviera.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 01:30:39 PM »
John,

While I'd certainly agree re: Crystal Downs and Sand Hills, other than shortish nature of the hole, it's cramped tee proximity and a well-guarded skinny green, what do you see so compelling or interesting about Riviera #1?

While I very much like Rivera, and always enjoy playing there, I often think of #1 as the weakest hole on the front and of the least architectural interest. Just wondering?

Cheers,

Steve

Alex Miller

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 01:41:06 PM »

Good call.  Agree with your logic.  #1 on the Red is pretty solid too, but more of a firm handshake than a gentle one.

If the Red were a par 5, how would it be as an opener? Haven't been, but curious.  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back