News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Disher

Re: Lou Reed - Anybody Else Miss The Guy?
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 10:17:15 AM »
I always thought of Reed in two parts - his involvement with the VU (the early VU with John Cale - so much stronger than what followed) and everything else. I may be one of the only ones here who saw the VU perform in Warhol's traveling circus - the Exploding Plastic Inevitable. Sorry Tony. Anyone with even a little artistic sensibility would have had a life-altering experience.  The first two VU albums (particularly WL/WH) capture it pretty well. The 60s were desperate times and it was helpful to have a balance to the cheerier stuff coming out of SF and SoCal.

Reed's later efforts with a few exceptions were interesting to me only because of what he had done early on. I'm also surprised no one (maybe I missed it) mentioned his 80s album, New York which I thought was his best non VU effort.

Michael Blake

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 12:33:55 PM »
For anyone interested, its 30 years exactly on 21 December since the live "Rock & Roll Animal" was recorded. Sean that's another opportunity for a drive this Saturday!

Yep.  Doesn't get much better than Into/Sweet Jane:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FdWPeHFAMk

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 01:31:28 PM »
I always thought of Reed in two parts - his involvement with the VU (the early VU with John Cale - so much stronger than what followed) and everything else. I may be one of the only ones here who saw the VU perform in Warhol's traveling circus - the Exploding Plastic Inevitable. Sorry Tony. Anyone with even a little artistic sensibility would have had a life-altering experience.  The first two VU albums (particularly WL/WH) capture it pretty well. The 60s were desperate times and it was helpful to have a balance to the cheerier stuff coming out of SF and SoCal.

Reed's later efforts with a few exceptions were interesting to me only because of what he had done early on. I'm also surprised no one (maybe I missed it) mentioned his 80s album, New York which I thought was his best non VU effort.

Craid I really must drop a few more musician's names whenever we meet, that or get you to write your memoirs.

Hey see the other thread, we're on a Road trip to Cornwall together next year!
Let's make GCA grate again!

David_Tepper

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 01:57:39 PM »
I was amazed to see an article on Lou Reed's passing on the front page of the Financial Times, above the fold no less. I think LR would have been amazed as well. ;) 

Doug Wright

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 06:15:57 PM »
Yes, so California had peace and love.  New York had S&M.  I when I poke my head above the parapet every so often to see whats going in pop music, I don't get the sense there is a guy doing what Lou Reed did.  It didn't really hit me that Lou wouldn't be doing what he did anymore until last Thursday.  Sure, back in October I registered Lou's death as a way of marking time; remember when? But it wasn't until I played 1969 last week during a car journey to Britsol that it really hit home, Lou is dead.  I have been a fan of VU since I don't know when, but have never followed Lou's solo career.  Though it didn't seem to matter.  What was important was that Lou was out and about doing what he does. I'm gonna miss the man.

Ciao

Yes, I will miss Lou Reed. I saw more of his live performances than anyone else I've seen, several over a span of 20 years. He wasn't perfect, a lot of his music wasn't great and his performances certainly were imperfect, but there was something about Lou and his music that struck a chord with me. "Rock & Roll Animal" is a great album, in my top 10.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 06:23:47 PM »
Satellite of Love is the only song that still is relevant.  Even at that the tall langley gym teacher looking chick with a deep voice may have sung it better.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 06:25:46 PM by John Kavanaugh »

DMoriarty

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 01:02:20 AM »
Satellite of Love is the only song that still is relevant.

The only song still relevant to you?  Not relevant.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 01:04:47 AM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Jud_T

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 06:35:34 AM »
He also put together some amazing bands.  As a guitar nerd, Steve Hunter and Robert Quine alone are more than worth the price of admission, not to mention the ever present Fernando Saunders.  The guitar solo in Waves of Fear is literally chilling and a brilliant melding of avante-guard techniques and straight ahead rock.  
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kirk

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 11:17:41 AM »
I like "Femme Fatale".  Great lyrics, and Nico just might be the strangest sounding singer I've ever heard.  She'll build you up, just to let you down, what a clown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjjDmX9Tkss

Rich Goodale

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 11:36:49 AM »
Fully agree, John.  Nico was the je ne sais quoi who elevated the first album from good to great.  Without her, Reed was just good.  I miss him, but I miss Sonny Bono too.....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

JMEvensky

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »

Fully agree, John.  Nico was the je ne sais quoi who elevated the first album from good to great.  Without her, Reed was just good.  I miss him, but I miss Sonny Bono too.....

Nico,Lou Reed,and Sonny Bono in the same comment deserves some kind of recognition.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 11:50:49 AM »
Vaclav Havel might have disagreed.

Oh, sweet nothin.  Ain't got nothing at all.

I knew nothing of any of this (beyond happening to own a copy of VU w/Nico) until my first visit to England in 2006. I went to see the initial run of Tom Stoppard's play "Rock n' Roll" at the Royal Court which deals almost entirely with that period.

What a great play with great musical bits between scenes. And to the extent Stoppard faithfully interpreted the Velvet Revolution it was somewhat of a history lesson for me.

I still won't claim to listen to the VU with any regularity though, definitely requires being in a certain mood or mode of being...

John Kirk

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »
"Oh!, Sweet Nuthin'" is another one I like.

I like "Rock And Roll (Live)" from Rock And Roll Animal.  I've known that one since about senior year in high school.  Among my favorite songs comprised mainly on guitar riffing and soloing.

Craig Disher

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, 12:29:12 PM »

Or reduced an incomparable album to merely great. Her value was visual only - in performance, a striking contrast to the wildness the rest of the group generated. I think Reed's voice on I'll Be Your Mirror e.g. would have been more effective. Her absence on WL/WH was hardly noticed. But what a beauty.

Sonny Bono, really?

Jeff Loh

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2013, 02:47:13 PM »
Thank you Sean!

Wow...tough crowd. "New York" and "The Blue Mask" are two of the finest ROCK N ROLL records of the last twenty-five years.
I dont need to know someone to appreciate their music. Quine rules....

Rich Goodale

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »

Or reduced an incomparable album to merely great. Her value was visual only - in performance, a striking contrast to the wildness the rest of the group generated. I think Reed's voice on I'll Be Your Mirror e.g. would have been more effective. Her absence on WL/WH was hardly noticed. But what a beauty.

Sonny Bono, really?

I'll have to respectfully disagree, Craig.  Lou was a great musician but a very average singer.  Nico was unique, and the VU without her was like the current version of the Who (aka the Two).  I first heard the VU and N album in a dorm room at Cal Tech in March 1967 after the Cessna 172 that my buddies and I had hired to take us down and back from Palo Alto to Guaymas for Spring Break landed in Pasadena in a thunderstorm on our way back. I finally got to see Lou play in Edinburgh in the early 90's (with Cale), and it wasn't a pretty sight.  RIP, Lou and also RIP Allen Lanier of BOC who was a HS classmate of mine , and who I just found out died a few months before Lou.  I was hoping to see him at our 50th reunion next October, but c'est la vie et le mort......

Hope to see you in Cornwall in 2014

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Chris Shaida

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2013, 06:04:20 PM »
Thank you Sean!

Wow...tough crowd. "New York" and "The Blue Mask" are two of the finest ROCK N ROLL records of the last twenty-five years.
I dont need to know someone to appreciate their music. Quine rules....

+1 (both the kudos to Sean and the assessment of NY and BM) and Songs for Drella is one of the finest something-or-other records of the last 25 years as well.

My 17 year old son saw Lou perform a cover of Mother with Sean Lennon last December as part of a Christmas show (ah, Lou!).  It tore my son up...

Sean_A

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2013, 07:05:34 PM »
Craig

I am with you.  Nico was a side show.  What drove VU was the extraordinary music and balls out lyrics.  The singing is almost an after thought. That shouldn't be surprising as a lot of great pop/rock singing is a average at best.  There aren't many David Bowies or Chrissie Hynde's about with unique voices and pleasant to listen to.  For the most part, if want good singing, you don't get into rock - you stick with Frank.  

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

John Kirk

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 07:47:37 PM »
I'm not that big a fan of Nico.  I just like "Femme Fatale", the song more than the singer.  And to dismiss singing ability in any kind of folk music seems short sighted.  I will agree that the songs are most important, and "singing ability" is largely a matter of taste.  Lennon, Garcia and Dylan are three of my favorite singers.  In this context, Lou Reed has particularly limited range as a vocalist, more a spoken word kind of singer.

React!

David Harshbarger

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 09:20:51 PM »
Our wedding song was a VU selection, and the relevance of Reed and VU in my life is memorialized in ink. To me they/he represent clarity and commitment to the reality of life.  And they had a beat.  *And* they had distortion.  Lou Reed and VU reframed my world view, and our life.

After he passed, didn't have to change the mix on the iPhone, just hit play.  Between Thought and Expression is an excellent retrospective of Lou's solo career up until New York.  If you don't want to sift through the crap, get it.  There's even a section of Metal Machine Music!  Coney Island Baby, My Friend George, Kill Your Sons, so many good songs.  The three disk set shows the range in Lou's career.  

We miss him, and moreso, feel the wurm turn again.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

DMoriarty

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2013, 09:26:59 PM »
I knew nothing of any of this (beyond happening to own a copy of VU w/Nico) until my first visit to England in 2006. I went to see the initial run of Tom Stoppard's play "Rock n' Roll" at the Royal Court which deals almost entirely with that period.

What a great play with great musical bits between scenes. And to the extent Stoppard faithfully interpreted the Velvet Revolution it was somewhat of a history lesson for me.

I haven't seen the play but it sounds interesting.  I was in briefly in Prague and a few other Eastern European Cities in the Spring of 1988 when things were starting to loosen up, and I was very surprised that so many of the people I met were really into the Velvet Underground.  Bootlegs from the west were everywhere at the time, but there were also all these local bands who had made poor quality homemade cassette recordings of their music.  It seemed like every cassette would have two or three Velvet Underground covers, with some guy who barely spoke english screaming out lyrics to assorted Velvet songs. Awful but wonderful.  

Here is a link to Plastic People of the Universe (the band from the play) covering Sweet Jane:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYLKwvGkRy0

As far as Nico goes, I think she had a very interesting voice and I like her vocals on those songs.  But whoever happened to be singing, those were Velvet Underground songs through and through, and it doesn't make much sense to me to say that that album was only great because Nico sang three songs.  All three are really good songs, but they would be good songs even with Reed croaking them out.  Listen to his vocals on Sunday Morning for example. Nico was reportedly supposed to sing Sunday Morning, and I am sure it would have been very pretty if sung by Nico, but Reed's rough yet velvet version is fantastic.  

John, I agree that Reed was more of a matter of fact, spoken word kind of singer, and I think that worked very well with his lyrics, which more poetic than lyrical.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

John Kirk

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »
I downloaded "I'm Waiting For The Man" and am listening to it.  Two chord trance music.  You know, some of us covet complexity...

Sean_A

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2013, 01:53:15 AM »
David

Not so different from Dylan and much of the time Waits.  Funny that three guys who couldn't sing should come up with such a canon of songs.  

I can only take so much of Nico's voice and not at all if not singing VU.  Anybody ever listen to her stuff not associated with Reed?  Very forgettable.  Sometimes its the singer, not the song, but in VU's case, it was most definitely the song, not the singer.  

Anybody interested in VU should buy 1969 and if you then don't care for VU - fair enough. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 01:54:48 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Greg Gilson

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2013, 09:42:40 PM »
December 21, 1973 (30 years ago today). R & R Animal recorded live at Howard Stein's Academy of Music, NYC. Dust it off. How good was Steve Hunter?

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2013, 10:15:01 PM »
Lou Reed live on a large,  two channel sound system at 200 watts per channel...nothing better.
I miss the guy.

Have 'Dirty Blvd' from New York  City Man playing right now and MY WIFE IS PISSED!!!!

すごいですね!!!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:26:43 PM by Wayne_Freedman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back