News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John McCarthy

Re: 3rd Annual GCA Chicagoland Dinner - February 22nd Updated
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2012, 09:14:40 AM »
That was a lot of fun.  Many thanks to Greg and Jack for setting it up and letting me sit in.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2012, 10:24:44 AM »
It was an excellent night for sure. I had stepped away, almost entirely from GCA over the past year, since it is often so damned contentious - but seeing and meeting people in the flesh has rejuvenated my interest in this community. What a cast of characters we had last night.  Listening to Ryan's very candid explanation of what is taking place over the next 24 months at Medinah was fascinating.  And Tim Nugent was captivating to listen to as well - that unexpected treat about the history of the Dunes Club was awesome.  And finally, it was great to see a large group applaud Colton for his tremendous work in 2011, here's hoping this group's support continues to his efforts to organize more events in 2012 and beyond.

Unexpected highlight of the evening - learning about the best Twitter Feed in the country @hriefs (Howard Riefs)

Matthew Sander

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »
I also want to thank Greg and Jack for putting together last night's event. It was great to see everyone, catch up, and meet some new faces as well. We all enjoyed the informative chats from Ryan, Tim, and Jim C. I'm not sure Jim's was entirely expected. The look on his face as Terry began his introduction was priceless.

I must say, it was a little difficult for me to be amongst the massive amounts of rare-medium rare beef while enjoying my plate of seafood (in observance of Ash Wednesday), but I was able to live vicariously through Jeff Tang as he laid waste to his monstrous porterhouse. He is not a large man, but that was some eatin'!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »
That was some solid unscripted speechifying, that's for sure.  Only Potts knew he was going to talk, but I thought that the other speakers were quite good.  I especially enjoyed Tim Nugent talk about the nuts and bolts of laying out the Dunes Club.  It's nice to see the cheddar curtain moved to the side and let us hobbyists hear practical talk about how to route and build a golf course.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:09:42 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jud_T

« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »
Another fun evening.  Ryan's discussion of the goings on at Medinah was very enlightening and can hopefully be detailed further here as it comes to fruition and is appropriate.  And Tim's stories were great.  He gets my nomination for Top 5 GCAs I'd like to go have a few beers with...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill Seitz

« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2012, 03:44:58 PM »
Thanks to Greg and Jack, all the speakers, and to Terry for serving as informal MC.  Great to see everyone again.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2012, 06:54:23 PM »
Certainly an enjoyable evening, and a great opportunity to see and meet many GCAers.

Many thanks to Greg and Jack for coordinating. Ryan, Tim and Jim for the informative remarks & discussion. The Judge for the campaign stump speech (he has my votes). And Mother Nature for cooperating with the weather this year.

Unexpected highlight of the evening - learning about the best Twitter Feed in the country @hriefs (Howard Riefs)

You're much too kind. Nice meeting you as well.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:25:41 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tim Nugent

« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2012, 07:12:02 PM »
Many thanks to Greg & Jack.  It was great to see to see the Illinios contingent from the inaugrial Midwest Mashie again.  Everyone remeber to vote at least twice to Terry ;D (after all this is Chicago!). And good luck to Tim Cronin on his new journalistic golf venture Illinois Golfer. I shall remember the hink of fine Midwest aged beef all summer when I'm over in Europe (where evidently a 2" thick Bone-in Ribeye  that you can cut with a fork is an unknown commodity).
Coasting is a downhill process

Joe Bausch

« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2012, 07:23:09 PM »
Man, that sounds like a great event.

Next year can I suggest that the gathering takes place at Bob's Country Bunker?  I'm anxious to hear both types of music they play there.

;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim Tang

« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2012, 07:28:51 PM »
Thanks to Greg and Jack for setting up last evening's festivities.  

All the speakers did a wonderful job.  It was interesting to hear the plans for Medinah and have a chance to see the new layout on paper.

While the destruction of the t-bone by my brother was impressive, in all honesty, I've see that movie many times.  That performance was pretty standard fare.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2013, 12:24:25 PM »
Greg, Jack -

Any plans to resurrect the GCA Chicagoland Dinner for this January/February? 

Let me know if I can help.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2013, 08:27:27 AM »
Howard,

I haven't thought about it yet. If you want to set something up, please go ahead.

Best,

Greg

Jud_T

« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
Howard,

We were chatting the other day with the distiguished Mr. Solow about the dinner.  He has an interesting potential speaker in mind.  Please circle back with Shelly.  A different venue perhaps is in order for the foodies amongst us...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Howard Riefs

« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2013, 10:19:42 AM »
Greg, thanks.  I'll get started. Appreciate any tips you may have or possible venues.

Jud, I'll connect with Shelly. Welcome any suggestions for foodie-friendly spots with private dining spaces and possibly BYOB. Thx.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:26:22 AM by Howard Riefs »

Jud_T

« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2013, 11:31:57 AM »
How about Spacca Napoli, Frontera Grill, RoSal's Kitchen, Piece, The Bristol, Big Jones, Smoque BBQ, Hopleaf Tavern, Lao Sze Shuan, Owen & Engine, Bob San, Phoenix Restaurant or Revolution Brewing?  Not sure about corkage....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back