News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Old Tom Morris is posted
« on: December 02, 2013, 07:26:43 PM »
The September 2001 Feature Interview was a mock interchange between George Thomas and Geoff Shackelford conducted after a rose show.  After reading it, a Golf Digest panelist wrote something to the extent: 'What a coup - I didn't realize Thomas was still alive!'  :-[ Alas, Thomas wasn't, having passed away in 1932. Nonetheless, Geoff's extensive knowledge and appreciation of Thomas made that Feature Interview realistic and as jam-packed with insight as any we have done.

Along those lines, and in an effort to keep things fresh, we 'conducted' a Feature Interview with 'Old Tom' Morris this month. We should be on safer ground this time - if someone says 'Gee, I didn't know he was still alive…,' I'll be, errrr, mmm, very surprised.  :-X

The answers are 100% the words of Old Tom Morris. Melvyn Morrow kindly provided two significant articles (acknowledged at the end of the Feature Interview) from his vast family archives and I reverse engineered into the questions. I was especially keen to do this after a May visit to Prestwick which reminded me of Old Tom's dazzling work in the sandhills near the clubhouse.

Look at this 1849 view across the 1st and up the Home hole at St. Andrews. The R&A clubhouse wouldn't be built for several years. Morris was still based at St. Andrews and had yet to head to Prestwick. His shop below along Links Road was nearly 20 years away.

From the feathery to the gutta and then the Haskell, Old Tom Morris was involved every step of the way.

Ron Whitten and Geoffrey Cornish wrote in the back of The Golf Course, 'Those who knew him described 'Old Tom' as a man it was impossible to dislike.' So what, you snarl: Nice guys finish last. Well, the point is how different it might have been if Old Tom was a wall when Charles Blair Macdonald or Donald Ross or AW Tillinghast or Fowler or Colt came for a visit? What if he had been a totally unhelpful/indifferent/unresponsive jerk to them? What if the wrong guy was at the center of the fledgling golf universe at the wrong time? Mercifully, that was not the case.

Just as he had learned from his mentor, Allan Robertson, Old Tom had the grace to pass along knowledge and help others. Happily, history continues to repeat and you see it today when a Tom Doak or Bill Coore goes out his way to help young people learn (just as Pete Dye had helped them). The sport of golf has been very fortunate to have such gentlemen and golf course architecture continues to build from past lessons learned.

The foundation for the Golden Age came from a renewed appreciation for the attributes of The Old Course at St.Andrews. Time has shown that the game couldn't have had a better host town or a better custodian than Old Tom Morris. The realm of their influence is untold.

Hope you enjoy this month's Feature Interview.

Working with Melvyn on it was a ton of fun – as he said, 'We are just scratching the surface'. In the process, I learned about the Union Parlour which is the top left building in the top photograph, the Bruce Embankment, how close the sea once came to the 1st fairway and the R &A Clubhouse when it was initially built, on and on. Our usual debate on the true Golden Age ensued and I still hold true to the one loosely defined as being from 1900 to 1938 because of the width and breadth of high quality work around the world (versus the work of a concentrated few around Great Britain's coast pre-1900). Anyway, all great fun and I hope that GolfClubAtlas.com can do something similar once a year or so. Please email me at rmorrissett@cabotlinks.com if you have an idea/material for such a future 'interview.'

Be warned though: Old Tom is a tough act to follow as not many men are referred to as an ‘institution.’

Best,
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 07:30:24 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Will Lozier

Re: Feature Interview with Old Tom Morris is posted
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »
Wonderful read Ran!  Really interesting!

Cheers

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 07:13:24 AM »
A fun interview Ran. Well done! The ghosts of Morris' and Morrows' return to inform us!

RAN: "You have never much cared for irons, have you, because of how they gouge the turf?"
TOM: "I consider iron clubs are greatly detrimental both to golf and to the greens……. the different spoons …. they were not nearly so hard on the turf as these later implements are – there was not nearly so much divot-lifting then."

Do you think, Ran, that you could ask Old Tom, the next time you see him, if he is an advocate of the hybrid? So many of the clubs one sees depicted in golf art work through the mid-nineteenth century have a profile much like the present day hybrids .... you would think he would be a fan.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:57:19 AM »

Look at this 1849 view across the 1st and up the Home hole at St. Andrews.  
Very enjoyable. Nice photos and paintings as well. Well done. Terrific photo of St A town 1849 included herein. So very different from now.
ATB

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 06:37:58 PM »
What a lovely early Xmas present. Thanks to Ran and Old Tom, of course.

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 08:32:55 PM »
It's nice to see Melvyn involved with GCA.  Usually I only see him on Facebook.   ???

Matt Wharton

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 08:55:31 AM »
Thank you Ran for this wonderful contribution!  My avatar clearly depicts just how much I admire Old Tom, and this interview is an early Christmas present for me!  

Side note, considering my wife and I managed to play 18 holes at Carolina yesterday in under 3 hours I was immediately drawn to this quote, "...for there is nothing like getting a round played without any undue waiting for allowing as to draw the full pleasures therefrom.”  :)
Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 02:20:27 AM »
Thank you Ran and Melvyn.  

Let's make GCA grate again!

Alex Miller

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 01:52:33 PM »
A wonderful feature interview! Thank you Ran, Melvyn, and Old Tom.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 07:26:58 PM »
A wonderful feature interview! Thank you Ran, Melvyn, and Old Tom.
+1

Quite inventive Ran. :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 09:19:15 PM »
Outstanding job guys, any  idea how to buy prints of the pics used? Having been there several times  I really need that pic from the 1840's
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back