News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Davis

Re: Why do we consider architects great if they....
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »
are given a great piece of land or even a very good one and simply copy concepts from other great holes from classic courses? For example, Raynor and Macdonald copied holes they found great and incorporated them into their designs and we universally consider them as great architects. Can't anyone just copy great work? Put together a course on a great site incorporating Redan, Biarritz, punchbowl and cape holes and be considered a genius if the course flows?

Is anything being created that is really daring, risky and doesn't simply "copy" other classic concepts?

Another point, I'm waiting for the computer program that scans a landscape and based on all available data simply suggests many different routings and using algorithms determines the best possible and most appropriate usage of the land with a tough of a button. Then we will start considering computer nerds as great architects. 

(for the record didn't mean to copy Pat Mucci's subject lines but mine wouldn't fit.)
I think you'll be waiting a long time for that computer program.
I have a add on ACAD type computer program that was supposed to help me design irrigation systems. Lay all the heads out, then click a button and all the pipe is run, perfectly size based on the parameters I select. Sounds great, fool proof...except it does not work.

I get a lot more done by just doing it myself. The other thing I've learned about laying out a renovation system on a new course is by far the best methods is to go out and simply stake the exisiting course, lay it out on the ground, every head, pipe, valve...etc...then GPS and create the plan for bidding purposes. Best method by a million miles, and no computer is going to do that.

The problem everyone has here and most seem so against accepting, is whatever you draw or program in the office, is not what gets built. Sometimes close, often too close because so many in this business pride themselves on drawing good and accurate plans, so they stick to the plan even if some changes in the field make for a better golf course.

I'm sure a computer can route a golf course, let me know when you get it do appreciate a back drop.  

Quote from: Don_Mahaffey link=topic=57426.msg1340506#msg1340506 date=
[/quote
I think you'll be waiting a long time for that computer program.
I have a add on ACAD type computer program that was supposed to help me design irrigation systems. Lay all the heads out, then click a button and all the pipe is run, perfectly size based on the parameters I select. Sounds great, fool proof...except it does not work.

I get a lot more done by just doing it myself. The other thing I've learned about laying out a renovation system on a new course is by far the best methods is to go out and simply stake the exisiting course, lay it out on the ground, every head, pipe, valve...etc...then GPS and create the plan for bidding purposes. Best method by a million miles, and no computer is going to do that.

The problem everyone has here and most seem so against accepting, is whatever you draw or program in the office, is not what gets built. Sometimes close, often too close because so many in this business pride themselves on drawing good and accurate plans, so they stick to the plan even if some changes in the field make for a better golf course.

I'm sure a computer can route a golf course, let me know when you get it do appreciate a back drop.  

Don, my guess is you are an artist, in fact, I'm sure you are from what I've heard. I think you are likely taking the most complicated situations and finding efficient solutions which may be in that case something a computer cannot do.

A young guy I know, a member of our club, sold his company last year for millions to a US company. His product was able to do exactly what I was saying to some ridiculous degree. I think the company was looking to utilize it in video games and defense. With a little work and a software addition they could utilize this system to do exactly what I was saying. Now that's not the focus of the work they've done and I highly doubt this industry would have the financial backing or even interest to further develop the product in this direction.

But essentially it already exists with a slight modification. Start inputting the wisdom and all possible preferences and standard concepts and it could easily be done. How would the result be? No idea but perhaps it could serve as a great standard routing to start with and work from. Perhaps it could even serve up an arguably perfect product and excellent routing making the best use of the land then churn out a 3D hole by hole presentation of how it could be.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

David Davis

Re: Why do we consider architects great if they....
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 04:12:57 PM »

are given a great piece of land or even a very good one and simply copy concepts from other great holes from classic courses?

For example, Raynor and Macdonald copied holes they found great and incorporated them into their designs and we universally consider them as great architects.

Can't anyone just copy great work?

No, I don't think so.
I think it takes talent to fit the hole into the land, into the routing.
Try it one day and see if you can inflict holes that might not fit into your plan

Pat, I've walked through the local dunes on several occasions and picked out holes in my mind. It's quite fun and many of them are no brainers, you can just see them. It's a cool feeling. However, there are a few problems to this.

First of all, I'm walking through some really amazing links land THAT will NEVER be allowed as links land. Secondly, I am not being required to be realistic nor am I being given a fixed piece of property full of constraints and preset limitations. Lastly, I'm not requiring myself to do exactly what you mention, try to put in a complete 18 hole routing and end up with all the puzzle pieces that don't fit and holes that just don't fit in.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back