News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: The golf car......
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 11:30:19 AM »
It is impossible to enjoy a round when three guys are in a cart and the fourth walks.  Drive to your ball and wait or hit while you listen to him click his irons catching up.  On any walk of distance he hitches a ride without offering to pay a fee.  It's embarrassing to be a party to someone stealing.  I'm not even going to speculate on the other issues an individual who thinks that his desire to walk is more important than the overall pleasure of his other three "friends" may have.

I have played a number of rounds where I was the only walker.  I enjoyed those rounds.  So I think I have found the flaw in your reasoning.

Brian,

It is the cart riders who do not enjoy the round as they have to constantly adjust their behavior to conform to your need to walk.  Why not just jump in the cart and be part of the group?

BCowan

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »
Brian

Go to Florida and try to walk.  I hear much more bitching about people walking.  Walking gives people the ability to talk to one another much more and take in the golf course.  Walking is very much vilified by most public golf courses.  I boycott courses that don't allow walking.  I'd rather people take carts that need them, but don't make me ride because 3 others want to ride.

JKava

I totally disagree with you.  and the guy who orders a pizza when everyone else is having a sandwich is a jerk.--  Wow, i don't even know what to say to that.  It is a little annoying when the group gets split with walkers/riders, but i think it is much more enjoyable when people play the game the way they want to.  Again your view is more collective, meaning people do what the majority does.  I am totally against that!  That outlook i believe has led to the decline in walking..  I play time to time where 2 ride and 2 walk. Or I walk and 3 ride.  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:48:33 AM by BCowan »

BHoover

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 11:39:04 AM »
It is impossible to enjoy a round when three guys are in a cart and the fourth walks.  Drive to your ball and wait or hit while you listen to him click his irons catching up.  On any walk of distance he hitches a ride without offering to pay a fee.  It's embarrassing to be a party to someone stealing.  I'm not even going to speculate on the other issues an individual who thinks that his desire to walk is more important than the overall pleasure of his other three "friends" may have.

I have played a number of rounds where I was the only walker.  I enjoyed those rounds.  So I think I have found the flaw in your reasoning.

Brian,

It is the cart riders who do not enjoy the round as they have to constantly adjust their behavior to conform to your need to walk.  Why not just jump in the cart and be part of the group?

Because I like the exercise.

BHoover

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »
Brian

Go to Florida and try to walk.  I hear much more bitching about people walking.  Walking gives people the ability to talk to one another much more and take in the golf course.  Walking is very much vilified by most public golf courses.  I boycott courses that don't allow walking.  I'd rather people take carts that need them, but don't make me ride because 3 others want to ride.

I don't think either walking or riding should be mandatory for anyone (I suppose exceptions can be made for places like Bandon).  But the choice should be left to the golfer to walk or ride.  If a course requires a cart, then it is my choice whether or not to play that course.  Let the free market decide.

BCowan

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 11:50:51 AM »
Agree Brian.  I just wish a little more respect is given to the spirit of golf only through spontaneous order...

Tim Martin

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »

I boycott courses that don't allow walking.  

How do these courses endure? ::)

BHoover

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 11:55:15 AM »
Agree Brian.  I just wish a little more respect is given to the spirit of golf only through spontaneous order...

I don't think there is a "spirit" of golf.  I don't buy into Melvyn's view that there is a right and wrong way to play the game.  I think there's room for everyone.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:56:54 AM by Brian Hoover »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 11:57:53 AM »
Brian

JKava

I totally disagree with you.  and the guy who orders a pizza when everyone else is having a sandwich is a jerk.--  Wow, i don't even know what to say to that.  It is a little annoying when the group gets split with walkers/riders, but i have it is much more enjoyable when people play the game the way they want to.  Again your view is more collective, meaning people do what the majority does.  I am totally against that!  That outlook i believe has led to the decline in walking..  I play time to time where 2 ride and 2 walk. Or I walk and 3 ride.  

and the guy who orders a pizza when everyone else is having a sandwich is a jerk.

If you can't understand the above then there is really little hope.  It's like thinking you have the right to drive 5 mph over the speed limit in the fast lane because you are stretching the law to your comfortable limit.  We all live in thousands of societal microcosms every day of our lives and occasionally need to make sacrifices for the common good.  Be it knowing what you want before you get to the drive through window, driving in a manner conducive to those cars around you or hopping in a cart with three of your friends.  Life works better when it flows naturally like a river.  Don't be the rock that turns it angry.

BCowan

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2013, 11:59:46 AM »
Brian, we totally disagree. 

BHoover

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 12:02:44 PM »
Brian, we totally disagree. 

I just don't see walking as some sort of quasi-religious experience.  I enjoy it, don't get me wrong.  But I also don't believe I am disrespecting the heritage of the game when I ride.  Same goes with using a range finder.

BCowan

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »
Jkara

You are something.  People spontaneously doing as they like disturbs you.  Do you go to a ice rink and tell people to skate at the same speed?  Did ever realize that people through spontaneous order do just fine, and don't need collective ''group thought'' to enjoy themselves???  There is no hope for you my friend.  

BCowan

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 12:07:47 PM »
Brian

I understand and know what you are saying.  Do you think it is rude to walk when 2 or 3 others ride? 

BHoover

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 12:11:09 PM »
Brian

I understand and know what you are saying.  Do you think it is rude to walk when 2 or 3 others ride? 

Nope

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 12:12:12 PM »
Jkara

You are something.  People spontaneously doing as they like disturbs you.  Do you go to a ice rink and tell people to skate at the same speed?  Did ever realize that people through spontaneous order do just fine, and don't need collective ''group thought'' to enjoy themselves???  There is no hope for you my friend.  

People who go to skating rinks and skate in a manner that makes the other skaters feel uncomfortable are jerks.  It's the same for golf in that I believe on a crowded course playing too fast is just as abusive and selfish as playing too slow.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:14:02 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 12:32:03 PM »

People who go to skating rinks and skate in a manner that makes the other skaters feel uncomfortable are jerks.  It's the same for golf in that I believe on a crowded course playing too fast is just as abusive and selfish as playing too slow.

Selfish... selfish... really?

You spend WAY too much time thinking and worrying and pontificating about how other people's actions affect YOU. Due to your privileged position you seem to have spent your entire lifetime judging others, determining how they don't fit into your vision of the world. Did you learn that behavior from your mother or your father?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:39:32 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »
Michael,

I determine selfish behavior based on how I have acted in the past and continue to act at times today.  I am not proud of the times that I play faster than normal just to catch the group in front of me to let them know I am there.  We have all seen it and done it, finish up on a green, or skip putting all together, to run up on a tee while the group in front is still hitting.  It is rude, it is selfish, it is something I have done personally.  There are thousands of rude and selfish ways to let the group in front of you know that you are there when simply slowing down would provide a better experience for both groups.

You are calling me out and bring my Mom and Dad into this?!  Nice to see a team wearing Orange playing for another National Championship.  War Eagle!!! Was Aubie at Tiger day?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 01:30:53 PM »
Michael,

I determine selfish behavior based on how I have acted in the past and continue to act at times today.  I am not proud of the times that I play faster than normal just to catch the group in front of me to let them know I am there.  We have all seen it and done it, finish up on a green, or skip putting all together, to run up on a tee while the group in front is still hitting.  It is rude, it is selfish, it is something I have done personally.  There are thousands of rude and selfish ways to let the group in front of you know that you are there when simply slowing down would provide a better experience for both groups.

You are calling me out and bring my Mom and Dad into this?!  Nice to see a team wearing Orange playing for another National Championship.  War Eagle!!! Was Aubie at Tiger day?

No, we ALL haven't done it. It just seems that way to you because of the bubble in which you live.

To bring this back to the topic of the thread... would you play golf if you had to walk? Would have joined the numerous clubs you have joined over the years? Would you have spent the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars on golf that you take such pride in reminding us you have spent?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2013, 01:38:47 PM »
Michael,

No, we ALL haven't done it. It just seems that way to you because of the bubble in which you live.

To bring this back to the topic of the thread... would you play golf if you had to walk? Would have joined the numerous clubs you have joined over the years? Would you have spent the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars on golf that you take such pride in reminding us you have spent?

I would not play golf as often as I do if I had to walk.  I've walked 4 out of the last 5 rounds I have played because that is what my playing partners wanted to do.  One of the most recent the pro called and asked me if I wanted him to bring up my cart.  He was surprised when I told him I would be walking because I thought that was the desire of my guest.  I threw 7 clubs in a bag and had a great time.

So far today I have asked slow drivers to vacate the fast lane, people to know what they want to order before they are asked and golfers to play in the style that benefits their group and those around them.  I don't get the problem.

Oh and if a sandwich takes 5 minutes when a pizza takes 15 don't be the guy who makes everyone else wait just cause you feel like pizza.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2013, 01:46:35 PM »
One thing that I love about John is that he doesn't tell others what to do. He merely wishes they'd be a little more considerate of their own volition. The irony of the source of such a sentiment isn't lost on him either. All I can really ask out of anyone is self-awareness. Anyone who thinks their walking or riding doesn't upset the flow of the round while the rest of a foursome does the opposite lacks it.

I can never tell if letters from Melvyn are real or not.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »
Interesting buggies/carts at Goodwood GC. Where's Miss Marple?

The photo is from the clubs website.

BHoover

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2013, 01:56:53 PM »
I would ALWAYS take a cart if they looked like this...hell, I wouldn't even mind if the rest of my group was walking, I'd still ride.

BCowan

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2013, 02:04:10 PM »
One thing that I love about John is that he doesn't tell others what to do. He merely wishes they'd be a little more considerate of their own volition. The irony of the source of such a sentiment isn't lost on him either. All I can really ask out of anyone is self-awareness. Anyone who thinks their walking or riding doesn't upset the flow of the round while the rest of a foursome does the opposite lacks it.

Doesn't tell others what to do, really?  None of us are offering coercion to walk.

Anyone who thinks their walking or riding doesn't upset the flow of the round while the rest of a foursome does the opposite lacks it.

I am not surprised you view it this way, you think trolley's are an eye soar.  Does it upset the flow some yes, does having carts where people don't know how to play cart golf upset the flow, yes...  Does it upset the flow enough that it is rude to have a mixed foursome of walkers and riders, NO!  The view you are casting is very Elitist (IMO).  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:10:14 PM by BCowan »

Jason Thurman

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2013, 02:10:50 PM »
I also think carts are an eyesore. And True golf shoes. I'm pretty equal opportunity as a hater, in general.

I don't think it's the end of the world, but it is just a little bit rude to walk in a riding foursome or ride in a walking foursome. I still do the former all the time, and I always ask the group if it's okay and apologize for seeming a bit antisocial. I don't care enough about what they think that I'd change my mind if they would rather me ride. Manners are what we do for others when we want to look like a nice person even though we really don't give a crap how they feel.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

BCowan

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2013, 02:12:27 PM »

BCowan

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2013, 02:19:20 PM »
I agree totally with you on manners.  People that insist on one riding i kinda find weird.  Been awhile since that has occurred since i play golf courses where more people walk than ride or walking isn't a big deal being that the courses are built for it.  

Jason you probably wouldn't like Australia most there use trolley's and don't carry.  When you get to 60 years old, you may have a different outlook.  Not everyone can afford a caddie and they shouldn't be looked down upon.  I guess it just is how one is raised.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back