News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Re: Highlight of 2013
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2013, 04:56:52 PM »
Standing on the first tee with my wife at Pebble at 7:10 in the morning and feeling a wayward Santa Ana-ish blast of warm air that carried us through the round.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:59:51 PM by Rich Goodale »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2013, 05:08:39 PM »
I made an eagle this summer, a real official one, you know - fine drive, terrific second that ran up and to the back of the green, and then a long, snaking putt for a three that I knew was going in a second after a hit it.

Man, I love short (err, I mean "sporty") Par 5s....and probably for the same (and only) reason anybody has ever loved them!  :)

Peter

Chris DeToro

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2013, 05:42:03 PM »
Hard to beat the 5 days I spent in Oregon playing Eugene CC, Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, two rounds on Old Mac, Bandon Trails and the Preserve.  

But the other highlight for me was touring some of the lesser known gems in Michigan such as Blythefield CC, Muskegon CC and Pilgrims Run

Eric Smith

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2013, 06:41:42 PM »
Golf in 2013 has been crazy good with way too many highlights to name them all, but if asked to name THE highlight, I'd have to say it was a gorgeous afternoon in May at Sebonack with Keith O'Halloran, Cathy Devlin and Jim O'Shea. Not only was it the most fun day I had on a course this year, it was the best course I played this year.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2013, 07:02:26 PM »
The recovery of Golspie Golf Club (in the bonnie Highlands of Scotland) in 2013 from a devastating tidal storm surge that damaged and flooded almost half the holes there just before Christmas of 2012 was a highlight for me.

Congratulations and thanks to head Golspie greenkeeper Alexander Macdonald and his staff of two, to the many greenkeepers from nearby clubs who volunteered their time and equipment and lastly to the many Golspie members who pitched in with the cleanup from the storm. A job well done by all!

http://nationalclubgolfer.com/courses/articles/course-news/golspie-golf-club-highlands-scotland-flood-repair.html          

Very good story, that's a really good course and a wonderfully warm membership.  All the best to the guys there, and the ladies who made sandwiches for us after our spirited match against the members.    That was a 2008 highlight.  

My 2013 highlight had to be playing Cabot Links - all but the lost luggage and clubs, thanks Delta.  Cape Breton Island is a spectacular destination.

Runner up had to be a snooker match with Will MacEwen in Victoria.  Loved my Canadian visits last summer.  

Jim Tang

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2013, 07:12:33 PM »
In April a day of 36 with my brother at Streamsong.

In July my first trip to Scotland, with rounds at...

TOC
Dornoch x 3 (my favorite course of the trip)
Cruden Bay
Crail
St. Andrews - New
St. Andrews - Castle
Kings Barns
Royal Aberdeen
Trump International

In September a round at Skokie with my brother, Jim Colton and Matt Schulte.

And finally, in October, Matt Sanders' GCA outing at Kankakee Elks.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »
Driving up to Chattanooga to spend the day playing golf with Rob Collins of King Collins Golf Architecture Firm.  Played his 9 hole course at Battle Creek and then drove up to his alma mater Sewanee to play the 9 hole course that Gil Hanse redesigned.

Playing Blackwolf Run with my father in law on July 5th.

Playing The Ocean Course with my brother on his 25th birthday.

All three of these days had perfect weather and were the highlights of my 2013.

Jason Topp

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2013, 12:53:46 AM »
My highlight was showing up at my new club in 40 degree weather, with rain threatening and a stiff wind from the North.  I spent the car ride trying to think of the excuse I would give for wanting to play golf on such a day.  I arrived at the parking lot to see thirty cars in the lot and twenty people milling around the pro shop organizing a game.  

James Bennett

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2013, 07:09:45 AM »
Ari Techner

I am looking forward to seeing your 2014 post.  Perhaps your son will have a top 10 by then?

James B

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Chris Johnston

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2013, 07:47:39 AM »
Opening a cool new course, seeing wonderment, and so many friends coming out.

Ari Techner

« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2013, 08:23:31 AM »
Ari Techner

I am looking forward to seeing your 2014 post.  Perhaps your son will have a top 10 by then?

James B

I would think by this time next year he could come up with a pretty nice Top 10 list.  I just hope he continues to enjoy the game as much as he does now.  

BTW for anyone that is curious, goto YouTube and search "Golfer Milo".  The first 8 videos that come up are him.  I haven't posted any since he was only 2 but there's a few gems on there including the video from when he was 10 months and also one of him hitting it inside me from a 50y tee that I set for him on #6 at Lookout Mtn at 2 years old.   The kid has game.   We have actually won 2 of 3 Father/Son tournaments that we have entered together and finished 2nd only 1 stroke back in the other one.  

Steve Lapper

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2013, 09:21:19 AM »
Hands down the Highlight of my 2013 season was the hickory thrashing given to Ran last April at Indian Creek.

The huge comeback from 3 down to winning on 18 managed to turn "Golfs Most Beloved" into "Golfs Most Bitter." To this day, his premature licking of chops when my drive on 18 found the dreaded cross-bunker haunts him. His smug walk to his ball had to have aggravated the golf gods as his approach was woefully short and inaccurate. My heroic up and down from from a low runner across the green then confident 20ft'er struck a dagger though the heart and soul of the hapless Morrissett. He was last heard muttering his way to a G&T.

I'd vowed to not expose this bittersweet day on these boards at that time, but think enough time has since passed and this thread too perfect to not recount it. In all, he was my 2013 Golf Bitch. ;D

PS....I'm sure I'll receive an offer for a rematch, with the specific qualification that it occur while I'm still felled by my recent knee repair. That is, after all, how he rolls! :-*
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:56:41 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2013, 09:55:49 AM »
Is it lame to say meeting up with some great guys from the website and playing at world-class venues?

OK, so I'll say playing 9-holes with my Dad after his health kept him off the golf course for >4 years.

David Davis

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2013, 09:59:16 AM »
- Pre season warm up and meeting a bunch of GCA fellas in England for the first time.
- The 5th Major and road tripping it with Mr. Smith.
- Pine Valley, Oakmont, Baltusrol, Somerset Hills, Colorado GC, Ballyneal, Sandhills and one of the funnest days at Wolf Point.
- Shooting my best score of the year, 72 at Sand Hills.
- Hosting the BUDA
- Making an eagle 2 on our 400 yd, 16th hole during the strokeplay championships into a 35 mph wind. Two of my best shots. A tough back pin position one hop and disappear. My comment to myself right when I finished the swing. Damn, that felt good! Was a 5 iron from a downhill lie to a raised green.
- Taking my youngest daughter out who's 12 and just starting and watching her insist on hitting driver of all clubs with a great swing and nailing it from the slightly elevated tee 145 meters onto the green of this par 3 and giving me this reaction like see it's not that tough. Then watching her sink the 15 foot put for a 2. Ha ha, priceless.

In lue of Barry's comment, I'd say another highlight was NOT having my back corrected the old fashioned way by Chris out at the fire pit at 2 am under the stars.  ;D Thus living to tell the tale and see a chiropractor who straightened me out just two days before Pine Valley.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2013, 10:19:45 AM »
Is it lame to say meeting up with some great guys from the website and playing at world-class venues?

Not as lame as posting 8,000 pictures about it.  Merry Christmas!!!

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2013, 10:39:07 AM »
My 2013 started with my first private club invite, a round at Wilshire CC in January.  I was blown away by the course.  The routing, shot requirements, bunkers, green complexes, and variety of par 3s were outstanding.  It was also pretty cool, when giving us our line off one of the teeboxes, our caddy said, "just aim at the Hollywood sign."  Just a great day all around.

-  I had my second go around Pasatiempo this year, which was just as great as the first.

-  Spent 3 days at Pebble Beach, with the highlight of my wife walking up 18 with me.

-  Chambers Bay in a light, but steady drizzle.

-  Playing Sand Hallow in Utah amongst the red sand.

-  Getting my first taste of Chicagoland golf at Rich Harvest Farms.

-  Closing out my summer at Ballyneal, playing as a single and spending the day chatting with my caddy.

John Kirk

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2013, 12:15:29 PM »
I've been traveling less, staying home and playing amateur musicologist, a project that should end in a year or so.  The highlights were:

Seeing friends at the Streamsong resort in January.  One day I played the Red course with Kye Goalby and Lloyd Cole, and had the pleasure of talking music with Lloyd and the guys afterwards.

Playing the Valley Club of Montecito twice in the springtime.

Bringing friend and golf/poker superstar Dusty Schmidt out to Ballyneal this summer to play in a little tournament set up by Jim Colton.  The first day Dusty and I waited out a rainstorm with Alex M. and Jim B., then went out and played quickly until dusk.

Visiting Dismal River in September to walk the Red course with my Cheryl, and then carefully studying the new course hole by hole in a Golf Club Atlas thread.  Glad tidings and Merry Christmas to all who are part of the Dismal River Club.

Overall, it was an off-year being me, and I can do better.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2013, 12:46:39 PM »
Joined my first club ever, and enjoyed playing my new home course in all sorts of conditions. Met a bunch of guys I enjoyed playing with. Competed all over town, with my teammates (first golf teammates ever), in the Twin Cities Senior League -- and only rarely embarrassed myself!

Most interesting course played for the first time this year: Windswept Dunes, in the Florida Panhandle. Widest fairways and biggest greens I've ever played (outside of the Old Course -- and possibly even including the Old Course). Lots of fun: http://windsweptdunes.com/course.html.

Oh, yeah, and taking home a dollar bill signed by the peripatetic Mr. Topp.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 12:58:29 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Bill Crane

« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2013, 01:22:18 PM »
Wm Flynnfan Highlights 2013

Full membership at Springdale G C in the fall with 4 on wait list for next year!

Scotland !!  11 nights with great weather.  My favorite:
Royal Dornoch ( 3 rounds),  St Andrews TOC ,  North Berwick,  Brora,  St Andrews Jubillee,  Cruden Bay (bad weather),   Crail Balcomie, Eden

Merion – 2 weeks after the US Open
Yale – two days
Yeamans Hall 32 holes
Somerset Hills  ( 12.5 + stimping greens !!    O C Sr. Championship)
C 3 (! Chechessee Creek Club)  112 holes in four days !
Hollywood  (NJ – Awesome )
Westchester C C ( all 36 – Fear and Loathing at the bar, and the next day)
Paramount C C  ( wonderful GCA event – even met Mr. Green Mucci)
Essex County NJ
Glen Head
Leatherstocking

Thanks to David Tepper for spending time with my wife and I at  Golspie  &   Brora.  Golspie was the biggest surprise in Scotland.
Also – my first hole in one at #13 Springdale – with new Mizuno irons in second week.

Thanks for my Loving wife’s tolerance of my addiction.

Wm Flynnfan

JimB

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2013, 02:24:30 PM »

Bringing friend and golf/poker superstar Dusty Schmidt out to Ballyneal this summer to play in a little tournament set up by Jim Colton.  The first day Dusty and I waited out a rainstorm with Alex M. and Jim B., then went out and played quickly until dusk.

Post rainstorm

That plus the hickory whiskey route and being front row for this

4 days of backstops and bombed tee shots in Holyoke Colorado. Ballyneal = FUN! (Awesome hosts and attendees that weekend)

a near Albatross,

made for an off the charts long weekend

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:16:05 PM by Jim_Benz »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2013, 03:42:34 PM »
From January:

The Tequila Cup, many outstanding rounds/dinners at CDS, and one at Diamante.  Really enjoyed meeting everyone, and seeing Jason Topp and Hart Huffines again!  Thanks again to Greg Tallman, the go-to guy for all things Cabo!

Mayacama with Hucakaby, Benham, and Pieracci in March...amazed when Benham shot 65!

Black Rock with the Lewises...Cory slowed down long enough for me to hop aboard...I think he only played 54 that day...

Streamsong 36 in April during a bachelor party weekend...made three eagles, including two in a row!  Great courses.

Family trip to Bermuda with the Simpers...-1 at Mid Ocean, watching Ryan hole out from 165y on #18 at Port Royal...for par.

Newport/Oyster Harbors over a weekend in June.  First time seeing the latter.

In a lean tourney year, helping Team Tedesco make the Met League playoffs for the first time in 40 years of league history...winning my final match at Brae Burn even though we lost in the semis.  Won the Field Day though with a BB 66!

Bringing the little one to the putting green in Maine Labor Day weekend.

36 Hole day at Wild Horse (wow), and Bayside (not as wow, but pretty good, and in a GREAT landscape).

Denver CC with Doug Wright during the monsoon week in CO...dancing around raindrops at Ballyneal the next day.

Great weekend at Coeur D'Alene with Leary (BR/GzR), followed by 36 at Wine Valley in 143 strokes the next day.

A wonderful day at Clear Creek late Sept.

Sleepy Hollow on a slow day in October.

Brian Noser wiping the floor with me at AnnBriar and Boone Valley...but then my Red Sox did the same with his Cardinals!

So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2013, 04:29:36 PM »
My 12 golf highlights from 2013:

1.  Playing TOC with my Dad and my good pal from Scotland

2.  My Askernish trip.  Two nights by myself barely speaking to a soul, exploring Uist and playing a LOT of golf

3.  Playing Waipu (Northern part of NZ) on the shortest day of the year.  Me and my housemate played in under two hours on a beautiful 20degree evening in the middle of 'winter'.  Our impromptu camper trip also included two swims, a tour of Tara-iti and golf at Kauri Cliffs and Mangawai.

4.  Playing foresomes at Prestwick with Dad and friends and the post-lunch loop with an old friend who I'd bumped into in the clubhouse

5.  Playing club champs at Paraparaumu Beach and spending 8 days there meeting my fellow members and playing as the sun was coming up / down

6.  Foresomes at Deal with Chappas

7.  North Berwick during Open week playing firm & fast

8.  Being accepted to join RWGC

9.  Meeting David Davis and returning to Noordvijske

10.  Attending Muirfield and meeting some good people there

11.  Finally, and more work related, holding a successful NZPGA Championship and writing the Golf Tourism strategy for the NZ Govt.

Happy NY and all the best for 2014.  Don't hesitate to contact me if you're heading down to NZ.  
@Pure_Golf

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2013, 06:54:25 PM »
Clearly, now, it's obvious I've been working too hard and not playing enough while traveling  :(
jeffmingay.com

Chris Kane

« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2013, 07:15:54 PM »
*Adam Scott breaking the Australian drought at the Masters
*Moving back to Melbourne and returning to weekly golf
*Royal Melbourne a few weeks before the Australian Masters/World Cup...absolutely spectacular

Garland Bayley

« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »
Meeting Alex Miller at KP.

Having buddy Bob host us at Santa Maria CC and Pete Pittock shooting lights out.

Shooting 104 (101 ESC) at Chambers Bay from 7700 yards.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back