News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Highlight of 2013
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2013, 07:21:27 PM »
From my forthcoming Christmas letter.  Sorry to spoil the surprise for anyone on our mailing list!

Tom's Ten Favorite Rounds of Golf - 2013

1.  The Old Course, St. Andrews, in July, part of the 100 Hole Hike, with Jim Colton, Josh Evenson, and David Watt
2.  The Course at Yale, in August, with Riley Johns and Colin Sheehan
3.  Pinehurst #2, in November, with Pete Garvey and Brad Klein
4.  Streamsong Red, at the Renaissance Cup in January, with Fred Muller, Noel Freeman, Mike Policano, George Peper and David Fay
5.  Streamsong Blue, in March, alternate shots with Jenny
6.  Dismal River Club (Red), at the Renaissance Cup in September, with Don Mahaffey, Greg Dennis and Alan Tessler
7.  Kington GC, England in October, with Sean Arble
8.  Forest Dunes Invitational in July, with Brandon Theophilus and Doug Crusey
9.  Kawartha GC, Ontario in June, with three local kids
10.  Astoria GC, Oregon in March, with the superintendent and assistant professional

(Note.  I had to go to press before my present trip ... I'm thinking that somewhere among Healesville, Royal Melbourne, Royal Adelaide, Barnbougle Dunes and the seven holes at Tara-Iti, I will find a round or two that deserves to be included with the above.)

Top Ten Discoveries of 2013
(Courses I saw for the first time)

1.  Waverly, OR
2.  Castle Stuart, Scotland
3.  Mid Pines, NC
4.  Stoneham, England
5.  Fraserburgh, Scotland
6.  Kington, England
7.  Lookout Point, Ontario
8.  Delamere Forest, England
9.  Kawartha, Ontario
10.  Mulranny, Ireland

Glad to see so much appreciation of Oregon outside of Bandon.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2013, 07:32:31 PM »

Shooting 104 (101 ESC) at Chambers Bay from 7700 yards.

Did the Special Olympics send you a medal?  Congrats.

John Foley

« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
2013 was VERY far behind the past few years on great venue's I have seen, but still a great year.

Few rounds at Dormie when I was in the area for work

WeKoPa Saguaro

Neshanic Valley in NJ

Old Sandwich on a glorious fall day

Walking Oak Hill at the PGA w/ my two daughters

Getting my 4th hole in one
Integrity in the moment of choice

Garland Bayley

« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2013, 09:03:11 PM »

No need for a medal. I just took satisfaction of being low net of the GCAers participating in the event.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill Gayne

« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2013, 09:09:42 PM »
Taking my 14 year old to the Masters for his first trip.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2013, 09:14:08 PM »

No need for a medal. I just took satisfaction of being low net of the GCAers participating in the event.

Net. really?  Jesus himself could have caught me in a net and I wouldn't have told the story.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »

Net. really?  Jesus himself could have caught me in a net and I wouldn't have told the story.

That's classic!

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2013, 09:21:30 PM »
2013 was a great golf year!

Added 4 new top 100 golf courses to the playlist: Camargo, Victoria National, Muirfield Village, and Harbour Town. Camargo, in particular, stirred an emotion in me that only a select few other courses have.

My golf tour really started to blossom and looks poised for a huge year in 2014.

Met two great GCA members and made two new friends out of it: Wayne Freeman (in my whirlwind 36 hour LA trip), and Connor Dougherty (in the middle of his whirlwind summer trip.)

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2013, 09:35:58 PM »
Getting my first hole in one at The Dormie Club!

chris

John Kirk

« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2013, 09:37:08 PM »

That was a nice day, Garland.  The course was too damn long, but I had fun.  Ben Sims and Mike Essig.  Rich Choi in the group ahead, finishes a half hour ahead, then waits behind the 18th green, bitching at us, saying we can never complain about slow play again, after "turning" Chambers Bay in five hours flat.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:42:15 PM by John Kirk »

Matthew Essig

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2013, 09:40:59 PM »
Hole 12 at Tumble Creek playing with my father.
Completely blind shot over the fairway bunker. 201 yards to a back-right hole location.
I look over the crest to pick a line. A buddy of mine, who was mowing the rough, parked on the crest of the hill right of the fairway bunker. I walk back to the ball and completely forgot where to aim. Again, I walked to the edge and picked out a mountain to aim at. Walk back to the ball.
The breeze died down. I quickly pulled out a 5 iron and swung toward the mountain. I smashed the ball, but the breeze picked up again. I thought I missed short in the front right bunker. I slowly placed the club back in the bag.
Suddenly, I hear my dad yell, "OH MY GOD!" followed by my mower buddy yell, "GO IN!" I start running to the edge of the hill.
As I neared the crest, they became ecstatic.

I made an eagle 2 and never saw the last 60% of the shot.

P.S. For the rest of the week, the shot and I were the hot topic at the greenskeepers base.
(photos by Peter Ferlicca. I was slightly to the left and closer to the fairway bunker. As i said, the pin was back-right.)

"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Matthew Essig

« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2013, 09:42:19 PM »

Did the Special Olympics send you a medal?  Congrats.

That was a nice day, Garland.  The course was too damn long, but I had fun.  Ben Sims and Matthew Essig.  Rich Choi in the group ahead, finishes a half hour ahead, then waits behind the 18th green, bitching at us, saying we can never complain about slow play again, after "turning" Chambers Bay in five hours flat.

Uuuuuhhh.....You played with my father, Michael......

Michael confirms that, yes, Choi was a bitch.  ;D  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:45:38 PM by Matthew Essig »
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

John Kirk

« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2013, 09:55:42 PM »
Sorry Matthew, you can see I fixed the mistake even before you posted the error message.

Interesting that you posted your highlights at the same time I mentioned you, or your Dad.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2013, 11:35:46 PM »
Sorry Matthew, you can see I fixed the mistake even before you posted the error message.

Interesting that you posted your highlights at the same time I mentioned you, or your Dad.

No need to say sorry! It happens a lot...

Just coincidence!  :D

John Kirk

« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2013, 12:24:49 AM »
The reason it took so long is that Ben Sims sliced a ball so far right of the 13th fairway that it took him 25 minutes to rejoin the party.  That is a steep hill.

OK, maybe a minor exaggeration.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2013, 12:33:36 AM »

That was a nice day, Garland.  The course was too damn long, but I had fun.  Ben Sims and Mike Essig.  Rich Choi in the group ahead, finishes a half hour ahead, then waits behind the 18th green, bitching at us, saying we can never complain about slow play again, after "turning" Chambers Bay in five hours flat.

You all played really well considering there was no roll!!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2013, 01:01:51 AM »
The reason it took so long is that Ben Sims sliced a ball so far right of the 13th fairway that it took him 25 minutes to rejoin the party.  That is a steep hill.

OK, maybe a minor exaggeration.

What was it we were call Ben that day? Sherpa?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back