News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie_Bell

Dunbar and North Berwick
« on: December 09, 2013, 11:27:48 PM »
For a Yank foursome planning a trip next July, please compare and contrast the two -- whatever criteria you'd like.

Eric Strulowitz

Re: Dunbar and North Berwick
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 07:50:56 AM »
For a Yank foursome planning a trip next July, please compare and contrast the two -- whatever criteria you'd like.

They are both great venues.

Dunbar runs right along the water on a very narrow strip of land.  Pretty straightforward links golf, a few ruins along the way.  Very easy club to walk.    I remember the course and greens being in great condition, the wind was incredible.

North Berwick reminded me of St. Andrews. The clubhouse had a mild resemblance.  The wide fairway going and coming back.  Some very quirky holes, some you will never forget, while most of Dunbar was quite forgettable.

Two great courses.  While you are in the area, you might want to consider Longniddry.  The course was a hybrid with some links and parkland features.  It was a great course, in  great condition.  We loved the clubhouse, we felt welcomed.

Have a great trip!

Greg Holland

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 08:27:09 AM »
North Berwick is great, and we really enjoyed Gullane as well (played No. 2, then No. 1, and there is a 3d course we did not play).  NB and Gullane are pretty close together, so if you stay in one it is still easy to play in the other town).  Dunbar is further out from Edinburgh -- we did not play it, but I heard good things.  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:50:38 AM by Greg Holland »

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:48:49 AM »
No reason to compare and contrast.
If you only get one pick it's North Berwick

North Berwick is an absolute must play, both for architecture geeks and lovers of fun, scenic golf courses.
(not sure who that leaves out, but was amazed to hear a very high end travel company left it off a recent member's itinerary ::)-until I changed all that ;D )

Dunbar is an excellent scenic, enjoyable course that should be considered in one's itinerary, along with Gullane and Longniddry, for all of the reasons mentioned above, though you might consider making the drive a bit further down to Goswick which would be an absolute must play other than its a bit out of the way location
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Angela Moser

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:43:24 AM »
Charlie,

I was very lucky living about 2.5 months in North Berwick in 2011 while working. The course is so much fun and enjoyable. I would recommend playing NB 7-8 times out of 10 in this area. The West Links has very interesting holes, like the original Redan, the Pit, the Gate... to name just a few. There are many more! If you have the book "A round of golf courses"... it is worth to read!
Beside NB, I'd recomend Muirfield, Longniddry, Gullane No2 as well as The Renaissance Club.

Have a good trip!

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 11:23:32 AM »
Angela,

Put me down as quite jealous. I would love to spend a few months in North Berwick!
Tim Weiman

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
Charlie,

Nice!  ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

John Cowden

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:31:45 PM »
Enjoy them both, Charlie, but definitely enjoy Notrth Berwick, a couple times if you can.  

As for Gullane No. 4 (aka Muirfield), worry not should have to forgo it while saving a bunch of ££s.   Kilspindie and Longniddry nearby are good fun.

John Cowden

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 09:36:45 PM »
Enjoy them both, Charlie, but definitely enjoy North Berwick, a couple times if you can.  

As for Gullane No. 4 (aka Muirfield), worry not should have to forgo it while saving a bunch of ££s.   Kilspindie and Longniddry nearby are good fun.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 10:27:56 PM »
Another heavy vote for NB over Dunbar

Stay at Duck's in Aberlady ( and play kilspendie right up the street for a quickie evening round)
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Ken Moum

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 12:12:44 AM »

My wife and I played North Berwick and Dunbar on back-to-back days where the starter's shack wind gauge at North Berwick recorded steady 25 mph winds, gusting to 40 or so.  I got up and down from 80 yards at NB with a 4 iron.

Dunbar was the first play for us, and it was in a Mixed Foursomes Comp.  NB was the second play, having played it in 2006.

Truth be told, I like Dunbar better.... in those conditions.  I know it's heresy around here, but for a a couple of 12-14 handicappers like my wife and me, hard courses are WAY overrated. For reference, I love Elie, Brora, Golspie and Tain.  

Courses like St. Andrews Jubilee are so difficult they suck the life out of me.  Of course, the fact that I played twice in stiff crosswinds might have had an effect.   :P

FWIW, we also played Gullane #2 and Kilspindie while we were in that area.  Gullane, near the end of 26 rounds in 30 days was a slog. Those hills are killers.  Kilspindie, OTOH, is a proper links course, and while it's pretty short, in the right wind it will get your attention.

If you don't have a place to stay, take a look at Drem Farmhouse B&B. It's close to Gullane and North Berwick and it's a really, really nice place.  It's the old farmhouse for a very large and affluent operation.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Britt Rife

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 11:47:01 AM »
One thing nobody mentioned about Dunbar is that the course is split by a big wall. On the clubhouse side of the wall are, if I correctly recall, 4 holes, 1-3 and 18.  They are not terribly exciting.  The heart of the course is over the wall toward the water and the holes there are terribly exciting, particularly in the wind.  Some are quite frightening, in fact, given their close proximity to the sea or to the wall.  Dunbar is really wonderful, but I can only say that about the 14 holes on the sea side of the wall.  All but 2 of the holes at N Berwick are anything but wonderful.

North Berwick is a great town to stay in.  The Ship Inn and the Auld Hoose will keep your thirst quenched in great style.  And you have the West Links and East Links there in town, and within a few minutes drive (or bus ride, as I did) 3 courses at Gullane, plus Luffness, Kilspindie and the Renaissance Club.  Dunbar is just a little further off.  This is an easy and fantastic trip.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back