News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

bill_k

Bob O'Link, Midlothian, and Trees.
« on: August 08, 2003, 12:46:47 PM »
Had the oppurtunity to play both recently and was struck by how the original fairway corridors have been overcome by trees. There are bunkers at Midlothian that are 10-20 yards off the present fairways that have  fully mature trees growing either directly in front of or behind them. Bob O' Link has several holes where the trees hang out over the fairways and tees, including the 15th tee( I have no idea how they have such good turf on that teeing area). Having never sat on a green committee or having no clue as to the inner workings of clubs like this-my question is: What were these clubs thinking when all of these trees were planted in the 50's and 60's-And, even if they were not planted on purpose, why allow them to overtake the original routing of the course? Even if I am a member who has no knowledge of or interest in architecture, I would be curious why the club would go to the expense of maintaing a bunker that is no longer a strategic factor. I guess I am just curious why this club (and hundreds more just like it) would not either remove the bunkers or cut down the encroaching trees and restore something similar to the original fairway corridors. Anyone have any thoughts?

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Bob O'Link, Midlothian, and Trees.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 01:25:59 PM »
Bill,

If you look at the thread Tree Information & Pictures, I asked basically the same question about a Westchester club. My guess is that in creating the pools, tennis courts and driving ranges in the 50-60's, golf clubs turned into country clubs. They squeezed the courses due to the new facilities and then had to separate holes from each other and the tennis courts with new trees.

I have no evidence of this, but part of this had to be The Augusta Factor. Every Spring, The Masters started to be shown on TV, and people had to have big trees and green courses (even in black & white, it looks lush).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2003, 01:29:33 PM by Mike_Sweeney »

Dunlop_White

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2003, 05:21:26 PM »
Good question! What were these clubs thinking in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's with all the tree plantings and overgrown vegetation?

The design intent and your architectural heritage were not exactly the talk-of-the-town then. Planting trees came rather naturally for many well-intentioned green committeemen.

1.......The installation of golf course irrigation triggered the tree-planting barrage. These irrigation systems were single-row, down the middle of the fairway.  The length of the water's "throw" gradually became the lines for fairways, particularly since the turfgrass was naturally greener in these areas. Thus, broad fairways became thin, and their elaborate curvatures evolved into straight lines. In response, greens committees began planting substandard varieties of trees in the prior playing lanes, those lateral areas that could not be irrigated to cover/camouflage the less attractive brown turf.

2......... The Dutch elm disease also served as a contributing factor. The American elm was a beautiful hardwood with unobtrusive root zones and high canopies. As the American elm perished, awareness of attrition escalated and the practice of planting replacement trees became the rage. A countless number of replacement trees were also planted in close proximity to healthy trees "in case" they too perished.

3..........Golf course "rankings" and the "Pine Valley Effect" have also inspired tree plantings. The top ranked course in the country serves as an architectural model for all others. Naturally, the elite courses will be emulated. Such is the case with Pine Valley Golf Club, which most publications perennially anoint as number one. Because one hole cannot be seen from another at Pine Valley, countless clubs have initiated tree planting programs between holes in attempt to create the Pine Valley framework.

4......Club officials can also be blamed for precipitating the tree-lined, parkland look. Often the contention is for safety between adjacent holes to reduce the risks of liability.

5......Other times committeemen plant trees to defend par.

6......Beautification committees also plant trees and shrubs to adorn the golfing grounds.

7......Club officials also started planting trees to honor and remember departed loved ones and significant club figures.

8......Likewise, superintendents routinely plant trees to attract beneficial wildlife habitats.

These were the motivations!

Paul Richards

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2003, 06:28:55 PM »
Bill;

Good question and Dunlop did a masterful job of answering it.

I'd like to add that I have played both of these tracks.  In their day, both were pretty strong tracks.  Midlothian hosted the US Open and Bob O'Link is a well-known Ross course.

However, as you make mention, the trees at both places are absolutely claustrophic!!  Midlothian is especially bad in this regard because it has thousands upon thousands of 20-25 foot trees lining every fairway, with many burying bunkers deep into the woods.  

If only someone would do an anti-Johnny-Appleseed on this course, you would find a nice, but short, classic golf course that has some very interesting features.  However, because of all of the trees, it's hard to notice the positives.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Bob Barriger

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2003, 08:44:03 PM »
I would have to agree with Paul, having played both Medinah #3 and Firestone South with in the past month, they both have trees guarding sand traps and sand traps backed up by trees.  I have seen many classic courses with way too many trees in the line of play.  Most need major tree removal programs and they could take a look at Beverly CC in Chicago to see how it should be begun.  Less trees, more ground game.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 02:37:55 PM »
I had this situation at my old club in Chicago. Trees encrouched the fairways, hindered tee shots and shots into greens, and when we lost trees to the Dutch Elm disease, replacement trees were planted at the edge of the fairway, without regard that when they grow up, they will be 30 feet into the fairway.

Blame the greens chairmen at these clubs for myopic vision. Nobody would listen.

Today, with threads like this, at least you can drop this off in a chairmens lap and maybe they will beleive what they read from others.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back