News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

Re: Morning Drive
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2013, 09:36:43 PM »
Jeff,
I can understand on how Mr.Jones feels in making the statement concerning he redid the painting and C&C are redoing the frame. But I would have never had the balls to say it without a bottle of wine in me and I think it came across as there is some envy or jealousy inside of him. But in this depressed market I guess he felt he needed to take advantage of the marketing oportunity especially since we all know on what end he is on when you consider the slogan, out with the old and in with the new! He also said he was impressed and it was great work. Just wonder why he didnīt do it when he had two chances. Then again maybe he wanted to and the owner didnīt want to at the time. I asume the present owner Bob Deadman is the same person that owns CCA. so Pinehurst is under CCA management? When did that occur! Really enjoying the interviews!

Mike_Young

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2013, 09:55:27 PM »
Randy,
I also think the "painting and frame" statement was pretty heavy and says a lot about golf design.  If we think about it....let's say a par four hole requires a cut driver and then a seven iron into a green protected by bunkers on front and right.  Once on the green there is a putt sloping left to right and forward.  Could it be said I just described the "painting" which could also be said to be the routing and strategy.  Now if another comes in and leaves the same basic strategies and changes the rough to sand base, gives the added look of shaggy bunkers and maybe puts a few internal contours in the green while keeping the same strategy.  Is that the "frame"?  

When you stop and think about it and don't let the RJ like or dislike issue come into it, there are many instances where this happens and often it is in unneeded rework.  It would make a good thread on it's own.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

RJ_Daley

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2013, 10:47:58 PM »
Thanks Howard for doing the links.  Unfortunately, I didn't see the original broadcasts.  

More unfortunate is "trying" to watch the streaming vid.  I don't have any trouble watching most streaming vid segments of news channels and various other media offerings.  YouTube works fine for me.  But, I can't get any of this to come up on Google Chrome or MS I.E., and it loads painfully slow and cuts out on Foxfire.  It really takes the fun out of it.  I'd be appreciative to any of you techie masters if you have suggestions.  

I started with Gil's segment.  I it took about half hour for the start and reloads to get to the first segment break, and then it crapped out and couldn't play video anymore.  I did get Gil's philosophy, Fun and Interesting, without just an exercise to promote muscle memory, meaning hit it here or else.  I am also surprised at how he looks younger, all cleaned up and without the mustache, from some time I spent with him years ago already out at the Prairie Club capstone property sight.

When I can tolerate more annoying video performance I hope I can get through the rest of Gil's remarks.  Good stuff what I saw.  ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »

He submitted plans for the alteration that each club approved prior to his work.

Pat
I am not talking about any specific project
It is not as black and white as you make it out to be
Very few members can understand a set of plans or what is going to happen to the golf course
They are reliant on the architect to make it better
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2013, 10:53:24 PM »
What would be incredibly great would be for architects such as Gil, Tom and others on Architect week, to promote fast and firm, vis a vis, brownish/yellowish/greenish conditions, and NOT lush deep green conditions.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2013, 11:03:54 PM »
D,
Educator or teacher is also a good one, you educate the client and teach your team to create what you visualize and hopefully give them the freedom to imagine and see something that you donīt because most of the team will be there on a full time basis and looking and relooking is an important factor. Its for all the reasons you list. few actually sign projects before they are 45, it takes time and patients to develope those skills.

Mike,
I agree and nominate Jeff to start a seperate thread. Did C&C change any green contours? If they didnīt and they mainly concentrated on restoring the native natural rough and shagging up the bunkers, then the statement has justifiable merit but could have been presented a Little lighter form. I imagine they knew what the questions were going to be ahead of time.
I am currently in Belem Novo trying to bring out some of the potential, solve some maintenance issuesl and restore some of the bunkers shapes that have been lost. Tomorrow starts their open and I am out of here Friday! There are about 400 nice houses around the course, the área has really changed. Take care!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2013, 04:52:08 AM »
Mike,
I agree and nominate Jeff to start a seperate thread. Did C&C change any green contours? If they didnīt and they mainly concentrated on restoring the native natural rough and shagging up the bunkers, then the statement has justifiable merit but could have been presented a Little lighter form. I imagine they knew what the questions were going to be ahead of time.

We did see the questions ahead of time, though I didn't rehearse answers for my own interview.  [There was only enough time to include about half the questions they sent me to begin with.]

Rees' remark does seem rather smug, because he didn't change the green contours on Pinehurst #2, either.  Donald Ross did the painting!  And I did think Coore & Crenshaw's work was great, in restoring fairway widths to reclaim strategy that Rees' narrowing had removed.  However, he did express something similar to my feeling regarding all of the wonderful restoration work that is lauded so heavily on this forum, and it ties in with my comments about remodeling championship courses.  If you aren't changing the greens [and if anything, greens are being softened] and you aren't changing the positions of the bunkers, is it really worth what everyone is spending on it?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2013, 02:20:50 PM »
Upated with interviews featuring Urbina, Doak and Nicklaus:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57345.msg1337997.html#msg1337997

And not to be missed..........

A discussion of Philly Cricket's restoration bookends a discussion of Restoration, Renovation, Remodel on Thursday's Morning Drive Architect's Week

Some pretty insightful comments from Matt, Gary and Charlie.  Nothing new for this group but certainly beyond what most golfers/viewers consider.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/timelapse-restoration-pennsylvanias-historic-cricket-club/

Nice iphone cover!

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2013, 04:46:48 PM »
Tom Doak,

I thought you made an excellent point about the incremental impact on play and the cost to alter, and........ the domino effect it creates when the iconic clubs embark upon alterations for tournaments.

To a degree, I can't argue about added tee length over the years, but, disfiguring/flattening greens and other changes have to be questsioned, architecturally and from the perspective of the incremental influence/impact on play.

Historically, I've tended to fault the local club, since that's where the impetus for change comes from.
While the influences may be external, the decision to alter is internal.

I would have loved to have a full half hour or hour devoted to your segment, and Gil's segment.
Only then could you present the broader spectrum of your ideas on design, construction and maintenance.

Mike_Young

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2013, 05:18:48 PM »
Did Golf Channel remove the comments from the different videos?  Some were interesting....

PCCraig

« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2013, 08:16:26 AM »
Thanks for posting the links, Howard.

I watched most of these videos last night and for the most part were great. I thought Tom Doak was very impressive, and I wish they could of asked him more viewer questions! I thought Gil Hanse's segment was a little too canned and they spent too much time talking about his courses that the pros will eventually play (Doral and Rio). Bill Coore was fantastic, and as someone who had never heard him speak before it was very interesting stuff. Jim Urbina was great as well and it was fun hearing his thoughts on different courses and other architects.

Matt Ginella must be a big time GCA lurker!
H.P.S.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2013, 10:58:39 AM »
So how do we communicate with "The Golf Channel".and tell them that we'd like to see more programming devoted to golf course architecture and playing conditions ?

BHoover

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2013, 11:06:12 AM »
So how do we communicate with "The Golf Channel".and tell them that we'd like to see more programming devoted to golf course architecture and playing conditions ?

And don't forget to ask for more of Holly and Win too!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2013, 01:21:11 PM »

You just did.

Hi, GC producers!
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Howard Riefs

« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »

Mike_Young

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2013, 02:55:25 PM »

Charlie Rymer told me this morning that it was well received and they may consider more.  I think the staff enjoyed it.  It was interesting to view some of the comments on the videos.  I do think you can only expect full segments as were just aired in times when not much tournament activity is happening.  

JMEvensky

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »

Charlie Rymer told me this morning that it was well received and they may consider more.  I think the staff enjoyed it.  It was interesting to view some of the comments on the videos.  I do think you can only expect full segments as were just aired in times when not much tournament activity is happening.  

Mike,some months ago Charlie came on here and said (paraphrasing) Golf Channel wouldn't get much into architecture because the interest was too small.Any idea what changed?

Mike_Young

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2013, 03:18:50 PM »

Mike,some months ago Charlie came on here and said (paraphrasing) Golf Channel wouldn't get much into architecture because the interest was too small.Any idea what changed?
I think he would still say they are not much into it but hey are happy with the response.  It's not my place to guess what they will do next but I think they will continue with pieces re architecture every so often but it may never be at the rate guys on here would expect.  It doesn't mean it's not working for them.    IMHO
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:51:59 PM by Mike_Young »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2013, 04:42:06 PM »

Good to hear.  I think the target market is much bigger then just the people on this web site.  Any superintendent, green chairman or committeemen, board members etc, etc.  It's a big audience.

I was having dinner on Thursday with an architect who just wished they had a "truth meter" on some of the comments.  My take is many of the old guard just want everything to go back to the 1990's and build anything and everything for huge money without problems.  

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2013, 06:20:20 PM »

You're old school... write a letter to the program director.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2013, 06:29:55 PM »
Contact Us:
GOLF CHANNEL
7580 Golf Channel Drive
Orlando, FL 32819
Main Number: 407-355-4653

This may be old?

Jeremy Friedman
Manager
Public Relations, Golf Channel
(407) 355-4058
Project Assignment: "Chasing the Dream" , "Golf Channel Academy" , "School of Golf" , "The Golf Fix" , "The Presidents Cup" , "Morning Drive" , "In Play with Jimmy Roberts" , "Big Break Mexico"
jfriedman@golfchannel.com

Dan Higgins
Senior Director
Public Relations & Corporate Events, Golf Channel
(407) 355-4018
Project Assignment: "Golf Central" , "Feherty" , "The Haney Project: Michael Phelps" , "Morning Drive" , "Playing Lessons" , "In Play with Jimmy Roberts"
dhiggins@golfchannel.com

David Schaefer
VP, Communications
Sports & Olympics
(407) 355-4542
Project Assignment: "Feherty" , "The Haney Project: Michael Phelps" , "In Play with Jimmy Roberts"
dschaefer@golfchannel.com

Jeff Szklinski
Publicist
Golf Channel
(407) 248-3267
Project Assignment:
jeff.szklinski@nbcuni.com

Howard Riefs

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2013, 10:18:23 PM »
Contact Us:
GOLF CHANNEL
7580 Golf Channel Drive
Orlando, FL 32819
Main Number: 407-355-4653

This may be old?

Jeremy Friedman
Manager
Public Relations, Golf Channel
(407) 355-4058
Project Assignment: "Chasing the Dream" , "Golf Channel Academy" , "School of Golf" , "The Golf Fix" , "The Presidents Cup" , "Morning Drive" , "In Play with Jimmy Roberts" , "Big Break Mexico"
jfriedman@golfchannel.com

Dan Higgins
Senior Director
Public Relations & Corporate Events, Golf Channel
(407) 355-4018
Project Assignment: "Golf Central" , "Feherty" , "The Haney Project: Michael Phelps" , "Morning Drive" , "Playing Lessons" , "In Play with Jimmy Roberts"
dhiggins@golfchannel.com

David Schaefer
VP, Communications
Sports & Olympics
(407) 355-4542
Project Assignment: "Feherty" , "The Haney Project: Michael Phelps" , "In Play with Jimmy Roberts"
dschaefer@golfchannel.com

Jeff Szklinski
Publicist
Golf Channel
(407) 248-3267
Project Assignment:
jeff.szklinski@nbcuni.com

Forget the PR staff.  Start with the production team that make decisions:

Jeff Neubarth, Morning Drive coordinating producer
Kyle Brown, Morning Drive coordinating producer  
Bill Hentschel, Morning Drive coordinating producer
Molly Solomon, Golf Channel executive producer
Geoff Russell, Golf Channel executive editor  

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2013, 12:44:59 AM »

You're old school... write a letter to the program director.

Since I address my letters directly to the interested party, and mark them P&C, to whom should I address my letter ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back