News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Taylor

Seeking advice - Scotland (Mar 30-31)
« on: December 20, 2013, 01:57:13 PM »
Seeking advice for quick solo trip to Scotland. Arriving into Glasgow on Sun, Mar 30 at 7:30 am. Planning to play all day on Sun. Monday is reserved for St. Andrews. Departing for Frankfurt on Monday afternoon.

My initial plan was to play Kingsbarns on Sun and take in the town of St Andrews. I now feel like this is the easy way out.

Should I detour west and try and play a combo of Prestwick & Troon? Or head east and play North Berwick? What about a combo of Crail and Kingsbarns Will I have access problems on Sun, Mar 30?

All of you helped me plan a great trip to Ireland (RCD, Portrush, etc.) so I would be remorse not to obtain a second opinion..

Ryan
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Tom_Doak

Re: Seeking advice - Scotland (Mar 30-31)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 02:27:06 PM »
I don't think Kingsbarns opens for play until some time in April.

Weather in Scotland is iffy that time of year ... the west coast very iffy.  I've played Askernish in March, so anything is possible, but it might not be pleasant.  The three warmest and driest places in Scotland are Gullane, St. Andrews and Dornoch. 

Ben Klaas

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 02:27:23 PM »
Sunday you could play Carnoustie as well.  There is no wrong answer here.  You may be limited by frost delays though.  

Questions: Have you been to St. Andrews before and do you have your own rental car?

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »
and bear in mind you may not feel great after a night flight, particularly with a 7:30 arrival, presumably the exact middle of the night US time ::) ::)
so 18-27 might be a better plan.
North Berwick with an optional Kilspindie, Elie or Musselburgh might work
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matt Schiffer

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 03:40:25 PM »
If the weather cooperates Prestwick would be well worth it and not too difficult from Glasgow.  If not, can't go wrong with hitting N. Berwick and Gullane and staying overnight in Edinburgh.
Providing freelance design, production and engineering for GCAs around the world! http://greengrassengineering.com/landing/

Chris DeToro

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 04:26:27 PM »
Fight through the jet lag--I played Cruden Bay the morning after flying in and a 2 hour bus ride, and it was totally worth it obviously

Agree with all the points in regards to the weather.  I think the key is to stay flexible...the weather is very variable but a short drive in any direction and you can find better weather.  Here's a few of my favorites that are relatively closeby especially if you stay on the east coast:

Cruden Bay
Royal Aberdeen
Carnoustie
St Andrews (New)

Steve Salmen

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 04:44:32 PM »
On such short time, I'd stick close to St. Andrews.  Play Crail or Elie.  I think even Carnoustie is ambitious for your time frame.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 06:37:12 PM »
I concur with Steve Salmen and would throw the Eden course into the mix as well.

Any plans for golf in Frankfurt? I live there and know most of the courses in the region. Unfortunately I'm in Italy at that time, but if you need any tips, just ask.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

John Crowley

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 06:59:13 PM »
Ryan, go straight to St. Andrews and stay there. There are at least 8 great options in town or within 20 minutes. That way you could probably get at least three rounds in. St.A Old, New, Jubilee for starters. Time to and from Gullane or Carnoustie would eat into valuable golf time. Research the courses near St A. Enjoy!

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 09:09:48 AM »
Ryan

Just to correct Tom D (and you don't get to do that often) the east coast is generally drier than the west coast of Scotland, although the west coast compensates by being, generally, several degrees warmer. Given your trip is a short one I would suggest a double dunt at Gullane, playing No. 2 and No. 3. Given the time of year, there is a good chance that frost will be a factor. I've played an awful lot of winter golf at Gullane over the years and have never played off mats or on winter greens.

Niall

Brent Hutto

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 09:15:51 AM »
I'm with John Crawley. You'll have little time, limited daylight and even more limited energy during your first 36 hours after the overnight TATL flight. Don't spend one minute more of your time scurrying around in a car than necessary.

If you can't find three rounds worth of excellent links golf in St. Andrews you aren't looking. Just squeeze in every hole you can at whatever course(s) you prefer right there. No 30-minute to 90-minute commutes needed.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 09:38:47 AM »
The Old Course will be using mats however the New and Jubilee are fantastic as is the town. You need look no further than St Andrews!
Cave Nil Vino

Brent Hutto

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 09:48:41 AM »
BTW, taking an afternoon stroll around The Old Course on that Sunday when you arrive sounds like a perfect antidote for shaking off the overnight plane trip fog. Maybe you could consider just driving over to St. Andrews and giving TOC a thorough inspection while it is closed then try to fit in 36 holes at the New, Jubilee, etc. the next day, daylight allowing.

I'd probably rather do an Old Course walkaround than play it off mats but that's just me...

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 10:05:20 AM »
Brent its an interesting one, the average player will probably hit off the mat 25 times in a round, does it ruin the experience that much for less than 50% of the full fee??
Cave Nil Vino

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »
Ryan

Just thinking about it a bit more, at that time of year with the relatively restricted daylight hours, only one round will be possible even if you magically collect your bags and get through customs in record time, collect your hire car and then make your way to the golf course. Whether you pick Fife or East Lothian you are looking at an hour and a half drive, while Ayrshire would be 45/50 mins.

The St Andrew's Links Trust rotates the use of mats at that time of year with one course on mats and the other(s) not. A simple email to the Trust should tell you which one will be without. I would however reiterate that if you want to be sure of avoiding winter greens then Gullane is perhaps the only option.

The other factor is that it is a Sunday. A lot of members clubs may have restrictions on visitors. That obviously won't apply at St Andrews or indeed at Gullane.

Niall  

Brent Hutto

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 10:35:21 AM »
Brent its an interesting one, the average player will probably hit off the mat 25 times in a round, does it ruin the experience that much for less than 50% of the full fee??

I wouldn't expect it to ruin the experience any moreso than, say, playing in a heavy rain or bitter cold. But that time of year one might end up hitting from mats while playing in rain and cold which taken together might not be quite "living the dream"!

But fair point. And if it were the only time I expected to play The Old Course...well, I'd probably take what I could get mats and all.

For me personally and I know this is rather oddball, if I could take a thorough walkaround on a day when the course is closed that gets me a fair bit of the way toward feeling I have "seen The Old Course". But I probably would rate that experience higher than most.

Alex Miller

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 03:53:36 PM »
Maybe play Elie and head over to TOC for a good walk around. I know there's more to fully understand there than one play can allow, and if the purpose is to get over there and play it then I would give it the time it deserves.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »
Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback. TOC will only require fairway mats until Fri, Mar 28th! I think I may walk the course on Sun and play Mon morning.

I plan to play 36 at Sunningdale on Apr 7 or 8 if anyone would care to join me..

Ryan
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 04:11:43 AM »
Ryan have you ever been to St Andrews?  I'm with those who say head there.

However I'll play the New and The Eden courses several more times before I Venture back on the Jubilee.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 04:14:17 AM »
Ryan,

stay in St. A and enjoy the great golf there plus the atmosphere.

Jon

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 10:24:53 AM »
Ryan

Just to correct Tom D (and you don't get to do that often) the east coast is generally drier than the west coast of Scotland, although the west coast compensates by being, generally, several degrees warmer. Given your trip is a short one I would suggest a double dunt at Gullane, playing No. 2 and No. 3. Given the time of year, there is a good chance that frost will be a factor. I've played an awful lot of winter golf at Gullane over the years and have never played off mats or on winter greens.

Niall

Are you suggesting he play Gullane 2 and 3 and not North Berwick?   

Too bad the Links Trust has apparently dropped the Reverse Old a Course programme.  I played it April 1st after Muirfield the previous day.  The weather was great sweater temperature. 

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 06:51:14 AM »
Bill

You can argue that NB is better than any of the Gullane courses and you would probably be right although personally I don't think it's all that much better. However the priority for me would be playing the full course rather than a shortened version with tees half way down the fairway, winter greens and off mats. Not saying that would necessarily be the case at NB but let me sugges to you, given the criteria I set out, that there is no better winter golf in Scotland than at Gullane.

Niall

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 02:20:33 PM »
Bill

You can argue that NB is better than any of the Gullane courses and you would probably be right although personally I don't think it's all that much better. However the priority for me would be playing the full course rather than a shortened version with tees half way down the fairway, winter greens and off mats. Not saying that would necessarily be the case at NB but let me sugges to you, given the criteria I set out, that there is no better winter golf in Scotland than at Gullane.

Niall

When I played North Berwick the end of March 2007 before Muirfield and then on to St Andrews for the Reverse program, we played the full course at NB, no mats, no short tees.  

North Berwick to me is a bucket list course.  The Gullane courses have never had that pull for me.  JMHO.  

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 09:28:24 AM »
As I said Bill, I wouldn't argue with you on what's a better course but I personally I would rather play a full course with no winter greens than play a better course that is on winter greens, which is definitely a possibility at that time of year. Also Ryan may struggle getting on to NB on a Sunday, possibly not.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back