News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

Golf courses with an echo
« on: November 21, 2013, 08:48:29 PM »
So there I was, at an undisclosed public park today, ripping nine irons and taking home movies in an attempt to get my swing a little less, how shall I say, Allen Doyle-ish. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

When I got back to my computer to look at the results, which were pleasingly upright by another few millimeters, I noticed that the strike sounded especially satisfying because it had an echo from the wall of trees some distance off.

I remember a perhaps apocryphal story about one of the Japanese golfers at the Masters who played with persimmon when he did not have to because he so loved its echo through the trees.  Have any of you noticed this while playing or spectating?

Have you ever experienced or designed for a nice pronounced echo?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Matt OBrien

Re: Golf courses with an echo
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:11:37 PM »
I want some of what you were smoking.......Never heard of that ;)

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:16:35 PM »
I'm not familiar with the echo, but one of golf's lost sounds is hearing the "whooosh" of a well-struck older golf ball off a late wooden or early metal wood face.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Matthew Sander

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:25:18 PM »
I want some of what you were smoking.......Never heard of that ;)

I know exactly what Mr. Moore is speaking of, and it has nothing to do with illegal substances. I've mentioned it here before, but the auditory component of spectating at ANGC's 10th (the second shot) is something to behold.

I also made mention to Andrew Lewis about this very thing during one of our rounds at Kingsley. Hole 12 is down in a valley with a tree covered hillside on the left and another treeless slope on the right. I've never played golf in a more quiet spot, until the iron shots echoed through the tunnel-like surroundings.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:31:31 PM by Matthew Sander »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:30:22 PM »
The way the trees hemmed in the 2nd tee at The Addington I used to have fight to hit a full-blooded tee shot and not to flinch at contact in anticipation of the "rifle-shot" echo.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 11:05:52 PM »
I don't think that echo through the woods is all that unique, particularly on tall pine or old hardwood forest lined hole corridors.  And, there are courses that have corridors going through mini canyons.  Interesting that Matt mentions Kingsley, and I also in my short time there remember that sound off of 18 tee.  But, on another DeVries course, Greywalls, you can get both the tall pine and wooded lined corridor and the greywalls of the rock amphitheater settings of a couple of the holes.  

We have a tee on my own course where the echo sound is particularly prominent and I notice it all the time.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 11:40:40 PM »
The Olympic Club has a definite echo. Also found it in Lake Tahoe area at Tahoe Donner and Incline Village.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 01:21:20 AM »
Something like this?  I hope your strikes sounded as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w81j8dXzHQI
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jack_Marr

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 04:15:31 AM »
The garden hole in Coollattin has a most satisfying echo, but more so as the ball lands on the green. It's in a walled garden area.

I hope Kevin Markham doesn't mind me posting one of his pictures. I think he's a member here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/5202173780/in/set-72157625329880157/

Then there's the 10th at Carne. It's called macalla, which is the Irish for echo.

http://carnegolflinks.com/hole10.html
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:22:29 AM by Jack_Marr »
John Marr(inan)

Gene Greco

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 02:27:29 PM »
Loudest echoes to which Mr Moore refers were at Eugene CC.

The fairways are lined with trees which touch the sky.

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 02:59:55 PM »
I remembered noticing an echo months ago, but trying to nail down which course has been bouncing around my head for a while.

Finally figured it out as the 7th tee at Waverley CC with me standing slightly forward and to the right of the hitter. Not a good standing point
for safety sake, but good for catching the echo off the branches to the left of the player.

Pretty much a "tree fell in the woods...." scenario.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 05:26:46 PM »
We heard echos a couple of times at Redlands Mesa.  I guess Canyon walls - and dinosaur fossils - will do that.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back