News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Augusta National (pictures)
« on: November 21, 2013, 08:18:11 AM »
I wish I could say I played ANGC recently ala Philip Gawith's wonderful images from his recent Pine Valley rounds. Rather, here is a link to a few photos posted via Reddit of a user's recent round at ANGC. He wrote:

The course is very difficult. While we were playing from the shorter member's tees, that's not what gets you. You must hit your approaches to the correct part of the green and you have to chip and putt well. No margin for error. I play to a zero index and I shot 81, but I had 37 putts. The greens are so tricky and have so many breaks that you simply cannot see until you have played numerous times. I feel like if I were to go out again, I would cut 5-6 strokes immediately.

http://imgur.com/a/2DyPx

It's eye-opening to see some of the green sites without crowds and/or grandstands, particularly #15.

The Redditor is also answering questions about his round and experience:

http://www.reddit.com/r/golf/comments/1r2yru/last_week_i_played_augusta_national_heres_a_small/
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 08:29:43 AM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

jeffwarne

Re: Augusta National (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:36:55 AM »
Why do I feel the sudden urge to contact my Progressive agent......... ;)?
Who knew even the guests had to wear jumpsuits...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 08:46:49 AM »
Is the flash white sand indigenous?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 08:49:10 AM »
Is the flash white sand indigenous?

No I don't think he was born that way ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David Davis

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 08:50:30 AM »
Why did you dress like the Milk Man...LOL, funny comment.

Cool album, nice picture and a great memory to have. At 0 hcp I doubt it would of mattered much what tees he played from given the toughest part is around the greens. At least that's my guess. I'd imagine he could of shot 85 from the back tees as well. Maybe better having avoided the water 15.

Look forward to playing it. I wonder if it will make my top 5 though, history and tradition aside. Might be too many trees for that to happen.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 08:53:49 AM »
Why did you dress like the Milk Man...LOL, funny comment.

Cool album, nice picture and a great memory to have. At 0 hcp I doubt it would of mattered much what tees he played from given the toughest part is around the greens. At least that's my guess. I'd imagine he could of shot 85 from the back tees as well. Maybe better having avoided the water 15.

Look forward to playing it. I wonder if it will make my top 5 though, history and tradition aside. Might be too many trees for that to happen.

David,
I think you'd be surprised at how few trees are actually in play, and how playable the areas are should you hit into the trees.
Though there are about 50 of the the new ones I'd like to chainsay that inhibit exciting recoveries, particularly on 7 and 11

Matt OBrien

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »
How long before AGNC asks for these to be removed...

Michael George

Re: Augusta National (pictures) New
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 11:17:47 AM »
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 02:33:47 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Michael George

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 02:32:05 PM »
Brian:

I certainly agree re: many of your statements.  It is a very desirable invitation, no doubt, and with that, comes many issues that are difficult for a club to manage.  Augusta National probably has one of the most difficult jobs in the world in that respect.  And let me be clear, there are many things that Augusta National does for which I strongly respect the club.

However, at the same time, the club is very conscious of its image.  It has been carefully crafted by the club in everything that it does.  If there was any image that they did not desire, they would quickly refute it.   They want to be known as the most exclusive club in the world..... the myth of not asking to play the course has been allowed to be advanced because the club allows it.  They want this image.  If not, they would find ways to limit it.  No club in the world goes to its lengths to present an image of exclusivity.  

The reason that I mention this?  I have read several books on Augusta National.  In so, I have developed an enormous admiration for Bob Jones.  He was the ultimate gentleman and, maybe more than any golfer in history, put golf in its proper perspective.  Bob Jones said "First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf."  Of all places, Augusta National should be entirely about Bobby Jones and his ideals.  When it allows itself to have this kind of image, it is not.    
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Ben Sims

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 03:57:04 PM »
Michael,

I personally know more people that have played Augusta National than many other clubs.  I think you're barking up the wrong tree. 

Michael George

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 04:50:38 PM »
Ben - as you have told us, you work on the grounds crew during the tournament.  Of course you know more people that have played Augusta.  I doubt others have the same experience.

I understand that many people have a great affection for Augusta National.  I do too.  I just think that today it is more of a club for CEO's of the Fortune 500, which is a shame.

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 05:16:56 PM »
Michael,
Who is it you're not supposed to ask?
and if you do find that person, and ask, do they punch in a blackball to their secret decoder ring?
Do you really believe they have such a "policy"?

I know quite a few members, and the reason I don't ask is that they have a very limited # of invites, and it would put them (and me) in a potentially embarrassing position. Besides, an invite is theirs to give, not mine to ask for-whether we're talking about Augusta or any other place.

definitely barking up the wrong tree-but then there are plenty to bark up ;)

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 08:39:40 PM »
If anyone would like an invite to my home course, Hotchkiss, feel free to ask.  It's public, but dropping my name might get you a free pencil.

Michael George

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 07:54:56 AM »
Jeff:

I have never asked for an invite to a club, unless a member invited me to ask him.  Simply not my style.

The "myth" is just one example.  I don't want to go beat a dead horse, which I probably already have.  So I will leave it at that.  In sum, I really do think Augusta National does a lot of things well.  I just wish it was tied closer to the spirit of Bob Jones.

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 08:45:44 AM »
I wonder what the landscape will look like 20 years from now. Times are changing rapidly and I wouldn't be shocked to see the average Joe have his day in the sun once a year or so via public ballot.

They have that already
Press day.
And employee day where they can invite guests (ad long as they dont ask) ;D

Tim Martin

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 08:59:17 AM »
I wonder what the landscape will look like 20 years from now. Times are changing rapidly and I wouldn't be shocked to see the average Joe have his day in the sun once a year or so via public ballot.

They have that already
Press day.
And employee day where they can invite guests (ad long as they dont ask) ;D

Yeah but the press and employees of the club are on thing. I'm talking about Joe Bloggs who has no connection with the club at all.

Wishful thinking? ;) ;D

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 10:49:31 AM »
What a lovely way for a father and son to spend time together, on the golf course, and an extremely famous one at that.

As to ANGC, I'd love to see what ANGC would be like if prepared the same way as Old Town Club, as per Seans recent Old Town Club photo tour. Beige and brown in colour, very firm and fast, areas of long grass, shaggy edged creeks etc. Time of year dependent though.

Off to hide behind the sofa now and wait for the bullets to come my way!

See for Old Town Club http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57154.25.html - commencing at reply No 43.

All the best.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 11:46:30 AM »
What a lovely way for a father and son to spend time together, on the golf course, and an extremely famous one at that.
As to ANGC, I'd love to see what ANGC would be like if prepared the same way as Old Town Club, as per Seans recent Old Town Club photo tour. Beige and brown in colour, very firm and fast, areas of long grass, shaggy edged creeks etc. Time of year dependent though.
Off to hide behind the sofa now and wait for the bullets to come my way!
See for Old Town Club http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57154.25.html - commencing at reply No 43.
All the best.
Thomas - see the Pebble Beach thread - I made the exact same comment! It would be amazing!
Brian.
Great minds think alike! It would be wonderful if it were to happen, but I reckon pigs mights fly first! Come 'The Revolution' though..........
All the best

Jim Nugent

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 12:16:45 PM »

I understand that many people have a great affection for Augusta National.  I do too.  I just think that today it is more of a club for CEO's of the Fortune 500, which is a shame.

It definitely is.  But I'm pretty sure that was always true.  Bobby and Roberts planned it that way from the start.  

Ben Sims

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 01:13:04 PM »

It is setup like what you mention above.  But it's from May-Sep, no one is allowed to play, and there's a good chance you'll be hitting an approach shot to a tarp.

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 01:21:34 PM »

It is setup like what you mention above.  But it's from May-Sep, no one is allowed to play, and there's a good chance you'll be hitting an approach shot to a tarp.

Well that and it wouldn't really be that brown in summer.
The pictures of Old Town were taken in dormant winter.

I can assure you it could look like that, but you wouldn't care or notice, because The Masters would have roughly the relevance of The Crosby, rather than being the traditional  signal that spring and all that is good about spring, and the beginning of golf season, is upon us.

Steve Lang

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 01:41:17 PM »
If anyone would like an invite to my home course, Hotchkiss, feel free to ask.  It's public, but dropping my name might get you a free pencil.

Charlie,  Do they have good chili-dogs ?  How much is a beer?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Greg Taylor

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »
Is anyone else surprised by the wear on some of the tees... #7 looks like it's had some traffic through it.

The fairway bunker on #10... most redundant and yet best bunker ever?!

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 05:59:05 PM »
Is anyone else surprised by the wear on some of the tees... #7 looks like it's had some traffic through it.

Greg,
That's #6-par three-the author is hitting 7 iron.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 06:00:30 PM »
Jeff,
Not to beat the dead horse, but do you think Michael was really that off? From what I hear, a guest cannot be on the premises without the member, the fans at the tournament are patrons, the members are in jackets all the time etc. I have not gotten the impression that they are looking to be very accommodating (which they do not need to be) but at least we can admit it.
I will further admit that the tournament was without a doubt the best sporting event I have ever been to, and without the members, and their input, I am sure my egg salad would have been more than $2.00, so I have to thank them for that.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back