News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

I've got my copy, all 501 pages!  Written by a colleague of mine at Villanova, Jeff Silverman.

You can order your own via Merion's web page:

http://www.meriongolfclub.com/

The direct link for ordering (well worth the 125 bucks, IMHO):

http://merion.anro.net/  (and check out the basket flag favicon; nice touch!)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:52:07 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Burnes

Re: Merion The Championship Story (now available)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:22:47 AM »
Joe- Will the author be doing any talks/booksignings at bookstores/clubs, specifically Philadelphia area?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:03:55 AM »
I'm not that far in but already I would think this book is a strong candidate for the USGA's 2013 Herbert Warren Wind Book Award.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:31:39 AM »
I'm not that far in but already I would think this book is a strong candidate for the USGA's 2013 Herbert Warren Wind Book Award.

If it is superior to Andrew Mutch's new Pine Valley club history I'll be really impressed.  Can't wait to find out.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:35:09 AM by K. Krahenbuhl »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:50:38 AM »
Joe- Will the author be doing any talks/booksignings at bookstores/clubs, specifically Philadelphia area?

I'll find out.  

Minimum I can easily get him to sign your copy at 'Nova.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 10:00:51 AM »

Yes, it is that good.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 02:39:17 PM »
Bump.

And please be careful if your book arrives by mail.  Do not use a knife to cut through the taped box flaps as there is no protection under there for the book!

Mark McKeever

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 08:02:34 AM »
Since I have not yet thouroughly read the book, maybe those who have read it already can help answer my question...

How does the new Silverman history book address the almost decade long debate on Golfclubatlas.com about the architect attribution of the creation of Merion East? How much was the club aware of that debate and how much did they take it into consideration the this latest history book?

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »
Mark,

Here is how I translate what Jeff wrote concerning the origins of Merion East:

• for a variety of reasons the club in 1909/10 was looking to replace the previous course in Haverford
• In March 1910 a committee called "Committee on New Golf Grounds" was formed, with Horatio Lloyd the leader of this group of successful businessmen
• in April of 1910 they finalized a 5-year extension of the Haverford golf course lease, just in case
• they then began looking for a new piece of property
• the record does not indicate exactly when the committee met w/ the Haverford Land Development Company, led by Joseph Connell
• the HLDC controlled about 300 acres overall, including the land the club was interested in
• Connell brought in HH Barker to examine what Connell thought was a suitable portion of the plot
• Barker visited on June 10, 1910
• Barker then wrote a letter to Connell, with an accompanying routing plan, stating in part:  "I would say that the land is in every way adapted to making of a first class course" and it could be done cheaper than others he'd done and could be completed by fall of 1911 [Note:  the routing plan and its details have not been found]
• Barker's letter was included in a July 1st report by the new Ground Committee informing the board of their interest in the Ardmore land
• just a bit earlier, in late June, Rodney Griscom asked Macdonald and Whigham for "for their educated assessment"
• Macdonald and Whigham saw the Johnson farm site and on June 29th Macdonald wrote a letter to Lloyd indicating the land had some "desirable features", but thought there wasn't quite enough land to "get 18 holes that will be first class"
• Macdonald provided yardages and pars that would form a 6,000 yard course
• by November an additional parcel of land had been acquired by HLDC, offered to Merion, and an agreement was made
• Lloyd simplified things by purchasing 160 of the acres (for a dollar) on a temporary basis and the deed in his name
• this "allowed the club free rein to fiddle with boundaries for accommodating course" and gave the club time to gather money needed to purchase the golf course part of the land back (which happened in the following July)
• in the December 1911 issue of American Golfer, Tillinghast (writing as "Hazard") penned:  "Merion is to have a new golf course.... I feel that this step forward... marks the threshold to the new era of Philadelphia golf"
• on January 11, 1911 the board appointed a special committee to build the golf course, consisting of Lloyd, Griscom, Harry Toulmin, Richard Francis, and Wilson
• in March of 1911 Wilson and his committee spent two days visiting Macdonald and NGLA
• they looked at NGLA's plans, CBM's collection of sketches of ideal holes, and studied the actual course on the ground
• Wilson later wrote: "... in one night absorbed more ideas in golf course construction than we had learned in all the years we had played"
• the committee returned to Merion and put together five different routing plans [None of which have been found]
• On April 6 Macdonald and Whigham visited Merion again and a report filed by Wilson's committee to the board through the Golf Committee, stating "after looking over the various plans, and the ground itself, [Macdonald and Whigham] decided that if we would lay it out according to the plan they approved, which is submitted here-with, that it would result not only in a first class course, but that the last seven holes would be equal to any inland course in the world"
• but the plan they chose necessitated a little more acreage
• fitting the first 13 holes was done, but the final five was tricky
• the 'Francis land swap' was approved by Lloyd and on April 9th proposed this to the board
• the plans for the layout were complete by the end of that spring (1911)
• Fred Pickering was hired to oversee construction
• the course was seeded in September of 1911, then formally opened the following September
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 06:46:48 PM by Joe Bausch »

Terry Lavin

Re: Merion: The Championship Story (now available)
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 08:11:53 PM »
Joe,

You're not starting this up again!!'
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Joe Bausch

Re: Merion: The Championship Story (author taking questions now)
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 12:02:09 PM »
Jeff Silverman is willing to answer questions you have regarding the book.  Post your questions here and I'll make sure he sees them, and I'll post his answers.

This is an excellent opportunity that I think has the potential to be quite productive.  Thank you Jeff!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 01:48:22 PM »
And yesterday writer Joe Logan penned this piece on the book at MyPhillyGolf.com:

http://myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=14311&pid=20

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 05:51:41 PM »
Jeff has responded to Mark's earlier question:

Mark --
   Thanks for the question.
   Ever since I wrote the Sports Illustrated feature on GCA back in 2002, I've been fascinated by what I'll just call the more animated discussions on the site, and who did what when in birthing the East Course was certainly one of them. Bottom line: Hugh Wilson's the man.
   He was the visionary behind the first draft of the golf course, and he was there afterwards to edit and polish until his death. Did he work in a vacuum? No. In those days, it was hardly unusual for the gentleman architects not to interact; through golf, education, and the society in which they moved, they knew one another, they crossed paths, they talked. Wilson may never have designed a course before Merion assigned him and the committee to have at it, but he was more than a knowledgeable golfer and he'd played on more than a few good golf courses and he'd certainly been interested in the workings of a golf course since his days at Princeton. In my gut, with what I know about him, I'm convinced he took what he knew about the game, and once he got over the daunting challenge of the land he had to work with, he imagined a golf course that would intrigue and inspire the golfer within him. Then, as a gardener, he knew this: nothing in the land is permanent, so he actively helped his original draft evolve. It's all in my book in detail.
   But that doesn't ultimately answer the question of my awareness of the attribution question that kept things hopping for so long. I was aware. And I was amused. But...
   When set up against the facts residing in the club minutes and in contemporary reporting -- which I've included in the book -- there was, as Gertrude Stein once observed about Oakland, no there there. The Macdonald theory is just theory -- clever, maybe -- but no more than theory, tantamount, in the end, to arguing the world is flat when all evidence points elsewhere.

js

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:58:49 AM by Joe Bausch »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 08:09:11 AM »
Jeff has responded to Mark's earlier question:

Mark --
   Thanks for the question.
   Ever since I wrote the Sports Illustrated feature on GCA back in 2002, I've been fascinated by what I'll just call the more animated discussions on the site, and who did what when in birthing the East Course was certainly one of them. Bottom line: Hugh Wilson's the man.
   He was the visionary behind the first draft of the golf course, and he was there afterwards to edit and polish until his death. Did he work in a vacuum? No. In those days, it was hardly unusual for the gentleman architects not to interact; through golf, education, and the society in which they moved, they knew one another, they crossed paths, they talked. Wilson may never have designed a course before Merion assigned him and the committee to have at it, but he was more than a knowledgeable golfer and he'd played on more than a few good golf courses and he'd certainly been interested in the workings of a golf course since his days at Princeton. In my gut, with what I know about him, I'm convinced he took what he knew about the game, and once he got over the daunting challenge of the land he had to work with, he imagined a golf course that would intrigue and inspire the golfer within him. Then, as a gardener, he knew this: nothing in the land is permanent, so he actively helped his original draft evolve. It's all in my book in detail.
   But that doesn't ultimately answer the question of my awareness of the attribution question that kept things hopping for so long. I was aware. And I was amused. But...
   When set up against the facts residing in the club minutes and in contemporary reporting -- which I've included in the book -- there was, as Gertrude Stein once observed about Oakland, no there there. The Macdonald theory is just theory -- clever, maybe -- but no more than theory, tantamount, in the end, to arguing the world is flat when all evidence points elsewhere.

js

Thank you very much for the answers Jeff!  As someone who has skimmed the "Merion threads", I was interested to see how the book aligned with our thoughts here on GCA.  From my one look through the Merion book, it looks fantastic, great job!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ed Brzezowski

Re: Merion: The Championship Story (author answering questions now)
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 06:54:44 PM »
Joe,
Is it better to buy from Jeff or MGC?  I cannot imagine he's getting rich but if going direct helps him please let me know.

Happy new year my friend. New work at concord.   Come out in the spring with your camera and clubs of course.

Ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 09:14:17 PM »
A question for Jeff from Phil the Author:

How did you handle the Wilson trip to make sketches question? 

Joe Bausch

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 01:58:31 PM »
Joe,
Is it better to buy from Jeff or MGC?
Ed

Ed, the place to get the book is here:

http://merion.anro.net/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:35:57 PM by Joe Bausch »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 02:22:42 PM »
A question for Jeff from Phil the Author:

How did you handle the Wilson trip to make sketches question? 

Here is Jeff's response:

Phil --

Regarding the Wilson trip and the sketches, as we all now know, that trip took place in 1912 after the course had been routed and grassed, and not before the routing, as earlier histories suggested. In June of 1912, shortly after Wilson's return, he took Alexander Findlay -- then writing for the Evening Telegraph -- for a tour of the new course, which Findlay duly reported on, making sure to assert his own role in helping Wilson prepare for the overseas  journey. After assuring his readers that Wilson regretted having not gone over earlier, Findlay added, "He now possesses golf knowledge that will stand him in good stead for many years to come."  

But knowledge and sketches are not the same thing.  

Years later, Richard Francis, who served on Wilson's committee and went on to win Merion's first club championship contested on Ardmore course, recalled that Wilson returned "with lots of drawings which we studied carefully, hoping to incorporate their good features onto our course."  

Exactly what was immediately incorporated -- other than some adjustment to the par 3 third hole, which Francis related -- is, sadly, as lost as those sketches... and the infamous five preliminary routing plans.

js

Joe Bausch

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 08:20:05 PM »
Another question Jeff from lurker Mike C:

Based on all the available evidence, do you believe that the brainstorm that is now known as the "Francis Swap" took place 1) During 1910 before the property was obtained, 2) During the spring of 1911 before the April Board Meeting, or 3) after construction commenced  after the April 1911 Board Meeting?  Thanks, Jeff...terrific book!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:35:15 AM by Joe Bausch »

DMoriarty

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »
Joe Bausch

I had planned to sit back and give Mr. Silverman his moment in the sun regarding his new book.

Do you and "lurker Mike C." really intend to drag Mr. Silverman right down into the middle of the Merion mess here?

Instead, why not show some class and give people a chance to digest the book before you guys try to start back in on the same old nonsense?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:00:31 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 09:10:40 PM »
Joe Bausch

I had planned to sit back and give Mr. Silverman his moment in the sun regarding his new book.

Do you and "lurker Mike C." really intend to drag Mr. Silverman right down into the middle of the Merion mess here?

Instead, why not show some class and give people a chance to digest the book before you guys try to start back in on the same old nonsense?

Have you not had enough time to read the book, David?  

Is it unfair to expect people to be able to ask questions as they are reading the book?

DMoriarty

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 09:41:05 PM »
It is really pretty simple, Joe.  I'd prefer it if you and "lurker Mike C." leave me and my theories out of your questions.   I'd like to stay out of any discussions of Mr. Silverman's work for a while, as a courtesy to Mr. Silverman and the process.  Given the contentiousness of the discussions here, I think it only fair to Mr. Silverman to give people a chance read it and perhaps even to draw their own conclusions.

Do you really think it "fair" to try and draw Mr. Silverman into our petty little disputes?  Will you still think it "fair" if I come back with a dozen or so follow up questions regarding the Francis theory?  And will it still be "fair" when Cirba follows with many dozens more inevitably following from those?  Or do you think this space might be better spent letting others ask any questions they may have that haven't been covered here for hundreds of pages?

The book isn't going anywhere. There will be plenty of time for Cirba to try and make whatever point he thinks the book helps him make. Hell, he can do it now if it wants, but why not show some class and leave Mr. Silverman out if it?  He can have you start a new thread, or perhaps he can craft another IMO about how he thinks Mr. Silverman agrees with him.

As for me, while I'm sure I'll enjoy it I haven't read the book, nor do I plan to at least for a while. I may or may not have something to say about it after I read it and after other people get a chance to read it.  But as I said, for now I want to give Mr. Silverman his moment in the sun.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:50:15 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 09:54:42 PM »
It is really pretty simple, Joe.  I'd prefer it if you and "lurker Mike C." leave me and my theories out of your questions.   I'd like to stay out of any discussions of Mr. Silverman's work for a while, as a courtesy to Mr. Silverman and the process.  Given the contentiousness of the discussions here, I think it only fair to Mr. Silverman to give people a chance read it and perhaps even to draw their own conclusions.

Do you really think it "fair" to try and draw Mr. Silverman into our petty little disputes?  Will you still think it "fair" if I come back with a dozen or so follow up questions regarding the Francis theory?  And will it still be "fair" when Cirba follows with many dozens more inevitably following from those?  Or do you think this space might be better spent letting others ask any questions they may have that haven't been covered here for hundreds of pages?

The book isn't going anywhere. There will be plenty of time for Cirba to try and make whatever point he thinks the book helps him make. Hell, he can do it now if it wants, but why not show some class and leave Mr. Silverman out if it?  He can have you start a new thread, or perhaps he can craft another IMO about how he thinks Mr. Silverman agrees with him.

As for me, while I'm sure I'll enjoy it I haven't read the book, nor do I plan to at least for a while. I may or may not have something to say about it after I read it and after other people get a chance to read it.  But as I said, for now I want to give Mr. Silverman his moment in the sun.

Thanks for the response David.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 06:35:42 AM »
Another question Jeff from lurker Mike C:

Based on all the available evidence, do you believe that the brainstorm that is now known as the "Francis Swap" took place 1) During 1910 before the property was obtained, 2) During the spring of 1911 before the April Board Meeting, or 3) after construction commenced  after the April 1911 Board Meeting?  Thanks, Jeff...terrific book!

Jeff's answer to Mike Cirba's question:

I'll go with Answer No. 2. I'll send you the address to deliver the dinette set off line.

As for real estate savvy, it just goes to show how sharp those old Merion dudes -- Lloyd especially -- were in gobbling up the land beyond the proposed golf course on both sides of what became Llewellyn Road -- before it was changed to the more familiar Golf House Road -- so they could fiddle with boundaries and move things around as they needed to during the building process. By the way, per the 1920 Mueller map [the precursor to the Franklin maps] of the neighborhood, Hugh Wilson owned the parcel where Golf House and Andover roads meet, in perfect position to collect stray hooks off the 15th tee. He never actually built there, though. Maybe that was because he was a registered Democrat.

js

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back