News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Sponcia

Gentlemen,

Well...I am about to take the plunge and sign up for my clubs Greens Committee.  Moving our sub-25 yard fairways to something more sensical, along with (God forbid) knocking a few trees down that hang over the fairways sounds reasonable (In my mind)...but a picture is worth...a three year fight with an ever changing committee and a vote or two by board members who could care less about strategy/playabilty/turf quality.  

If you could provide any web links similar to what Mr. White did with the Old Town restoration, it would be much appreciated.  

I am fully prepared that all of my study of the writings of Ross, Tillinghast, Colt, Mackenzie, Dye and Doak will mean nothing when a fellow member says they like a certain tree...but I thought I would give it the old college try any way.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:21:20 PM by Joe Sponcia »
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

John Cowden

An unenviable task, to be sure. 

Take a look at Pasatiempo's website.  I recall there are several before/after/after again photos that are quite revealing. 

Mark Bourgeois

golfcoursehistories.com?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

JR Potts

LACC has the nicest and best booklet on its restoration that I've seen.  It used to be publicly available on its website.  Not sure if it still is.

David_Tepper

Joe S. -

The Northern California Golf Association has an extensive blog on their project to renovate the NCGA Poppy Hills course at Pebble Beach.

Here is a link: http://renovation.poppyhillsgolf.com/

Good luck with your efforts!

DT

Howard Riefs

LACC has the nicest and best booklet on its restoration that I've seen.  It used to be publicly available on its website.  Not sure if it still is.

Here's the commemorative booklet:

http://persimmongolftoday.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/NorthCourse_Commemorative_Edition.pdf

Also good LACC before/after photos on this thread:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46277.0.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Thomas Dai

Well...I am about to take the plunge and sign up for my clubs Greens Committee.  
Joe, write down a list of 10 things you'd like to achieve. I hope I'm 100% wrong, but if you succeed with 1 you've done well. Always be alert to the fact that golf club committees are usually more about ego and vanity and politics than about about golf. Write us a post in 12-months time and let us know how you're getting on. Good luck!
All the best

Evan Louden

Framingham Country Club is in the process of renovating their course. The super has a blog where he posts lots of pictures.

http://fccgrounds.blogspot.com/

Joe Sponcia

Mr. Dai/all,

First, thank you to those who have taken the time to provide links.

To your point, Mr. Dai, I think I will chronicle this to a degree on the board, just to encourage/share best practices with others.  It is a shame that many more don't get involved for fear that they will be ridiculed for bringing up obvious and educated observances when renegade Greens chairmen of the past have randomly shrunk fairways and added trees where they truly don't belong.  

One idea I started on last night was taking 3-4 pictures of the top 100 courses (in order) and did a kind of photo tour of each via powerpoint.  For instance, last night, I got through the top (20) and only 4 out of 20 seemed to be what I would call Robert Trent Jonesian (Tree lined, tighter):  Augusta, Pine Valley, Oak hill and Muirfield.  The rest at least in my photo tours, seem to mostly have trees in the background, or certainly out of the field of play (ie. at the edges of doglegs or hanging over fairways).

I also penned an article with the help of Vinnie Kmetz, Chip Oats...along with many of the concepts Dunlop White has presented:

http://pillarsofgolf.wordpress.com/2013/11/19/the-tree-paradigm/

I wouldn't call anything written "breaking new ground", but will use it to strengthen and/or add onto what Mr. White has already done.

Please keep sending whatever you can find.  If this "powerpoint" visual is successful...and my hope is...the visuals will tell more of a story than "Donald Ross or Tillinghast said...so get out the chainsaws".  Viewing it myself certainly helped give proof that open vistas free from random tree placements is what the top courses demand, so why don't others see it?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:13:01 AM by Joe Sponcia »
Joe

- Mike Nuzzo

JMEvensky

Kevin Lynch

Joe,

While I tend to agree that our courses have become overly dense with trees, I'm not necessarily sold on the alternative as presented in the blog post.  When I look at the pictures of Holston Hills, I appreciate the open vistas, but what really catches my eye are the boatload of two stroke penalties lining the playing corridors.  Perhaps the photo isn't indicative, but I see some pretty dense undergrowth in those areas, with very little chance of finding a pulled tee shot.  Is reloading from the tee (coupled with a likely-futile 5 minute search) really a more fun alternative than trying shape a recovery shot out of trees?

Up here in NY, many course claim to have a "UK feel" with open areas lined by higher grasses.  However, from my discussions with UK travelers, those grasses are wispier, and you can still find and advance a ball from those areas, albeit with a higher challenge.  Unfortunately, they grow those areas here with 5-6 inches of bluegrass at the base, virtually creating "in-course OB" throughout.  All of this is in the name of making sure there is adequate "punishment."

I have no problem at all with "sky-bunkers" as one method of providing challenge to golfers.  However, I recognize the scourge of densely-lined fairways ("Vertical Bowling), as well as the random "Keep em' Honest" Evergreen planted by some straight-hitting greens chairman who's mad he lost a match because his opponent managed a recovery shot from the rough.

Really, I'm not sure most courses should look towards Oakmont as a model, with "clearing" as the goal.  Without green complexes that truly reward approaches from a particular angle (whether via slopes, hazard placement or firmness), complete tree removal can just promote "bomb & gouge" golf.  If you're not at a course that can truly defend itself on the ground (which is harder with today's ball & club technology), I think we need to acknowledge the need for "sky-bunkers," albeit in a lesser role.

Quite frequently, I play courses and recognize the need for an aerial hazard on a given hole.  However, at the same time, I wonder why the same goal couldn't be accomplished with 1 or 2 trees (as opposed to the 10-15 in the area).  

Good luck in your efforts - I think we can all agree that sub-25 yard fairways are something we can all do without.

Joe Sponcia

Joe,

While I tend to agree that our courses have become overly dense with trees, I'm not necessarily sold on the alternative as presented in the blog post.  When I look at the pictures of Holston Hills, I appreciate the open vistas, but what really catches my eye are the boatload of two stroke penalties lining the playing corridors.  Perhaps the photo isn't indicative, but I see some pretty dense undergrowth in those areas, with very little chance of finding a pulled tee shot.  Is reloading from the tee (coupled with a likely-futile 5 minute search) really a more fun alternative than trying shape a recovery shot out of trees?

Up here in NY, many course claim to have a "UK feel" with open areas lined by higher grasses.  However, from my discussions with UK travelers, those grasses are wispier, and you can still find and advance a ball from those areas, albeit with a higher challenge.  Unfortunately, they grow those areas here with 5-6 inches of bluegrass at the base, virtually creating "in-course OB" throughout.  All of this is in the name of making sure there is adequate "punishment."

I have no problem at all with "sky-bunkers" as one method of providing challenge to golfers.  However, I recognize the scourge of densely-lined fairways ("Vertical Bowling), as well as the random "Keep em' Honest" Evergreen planted by some straight-hitting greens chairman who's mad he lost a match because his opponent managed a recovery shot from the rough.

Really, I'm not sure most courses should look towards Oakmont as a model, with "clearing" as the goal.  Without green complexes that truly reward approaches from a particular angle (whether via slopes, hazard placement or firmness), complete tree removal can just promote "bomb & gouge" golf.  If you're not at a course that can truly defend itself on the ground (which is harder with today's ball & club technology), I think we need to acknowledge the need for "sky-bunkers," albeit in a lesser role.

Quite frequently, I play courses and recognize the need for an aerial hazard on a given hole.  However, at the same time, I wonder why the same goal couldn't be accomplished with 1 or 2 trees (as opposed to the 10-15 in the area).  

Good luck in your efforts - I think we can all agree that sub-25 yard fairways are something we can all do without.

Mr. Lynch,

I am by no means an expert.  It has only been through walking/playing/photographing countless courses...and my self-study of so many of the greats that I have formed my opinion...and it is just that, an opinion.  I am a 1 handicap, with a wife that is a 39...and I frequently play with mid-handicappers, so my perspective is to make the game more enjoyable for all (I'm also trying to keep my kids involved).  My course is 7200 yards, tight, and the greens are quite fast and have been cut in half several years ago (we host a web.com event)...so most of what I have written doesn't apply to me when I play, but affects my playing partners drastically.  It is always a funny thing when I talk to people that come back from Bandon or even inexpensive places like Myrtle Beach after playing Man O' War, Shaftesbury Glen, or the Wizard.  They always comment on how wide the fairways are and how much fun it was .

I have pictures from ten years ago at Holston and today...and there were so many dead spots around the tree-lined corridors.  It was really ugly, truthfully.  The club boasts probably the lowest ghin's I am aware of in Tennessee....and would guess after they "cleaned" the course, I bet +1's didn't move to +4's, but that is always the prevailing thought?

With regard to your comments about the natural areas...Holston's fairways are 50-60 yards wide, with a 15 yard rough buffer on each side for the most part.  If the concern is finding ones ball...after missing the fairway some 50 yards off-line, I would suggest the offended take lessons.  Nothing wrong with fairways that wide with a proper rough buffer.  I have always believed that Natural areas should be sufficiently high that a player would automatically re-tee and treat it as a lost ball.  The problem with 'wimpy' natural areas are that people waste too much time looking.  

What does 'sky bunkers' as a lessor role mean?  We have three par 5's that require everyone under 290 yards off the tee to lay up, because few can hit a 40 yard high hook on one, a 35 yard high cut 285 yards on another, and 265ish yard high three wood to a green fronted by water.  

Why 10+ handicaps worry about 22 guys in the club shooting 65's all day is 1) insane and 2) rarely happens.  I get sick of watching my friends play a twenty yards slice to just behind my ball in the fairway, and have to hit another high cut to a tucked pin because they don't hit it far 'enough'.  

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 02:32:20 PM by Joe Sponcia »
Joe

- Mike Nuzzo

Thomas Dai

I will chronicle this to a degree on the board, just to encourage/share best practices with others.

"The Tree Paradigm', as also mentioned by Kevin in his separate thread, is a damn fine document, one that all those who helped put it together should be proud of. I wish you every success is making your ideas come to fruition and look forward to hearing periodically how you're getting along. Go get um - "I love the sound of chainsaws in the morning.....sounds like.......victory!"

See - http://pillarsofgolf.wordpress.com/2013/11/19/the-tree-paradigm/ - for more details.

All the best
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 08:15:52 AM by Thomas Dai »

Sven Nilsen

Flossmoor's website has a section solely dedicated to their renovation done by Ray Hearn:

http://www.flossmoorcc.org/renovation/index.html

While not necessarily a restoration, the presentation of before and after photos is excellent.  
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ed Oden

Kevin Lynch

Mr. Lynch,

I am by no means an expert.  It has only been through walking/playing/photographing countless courses...and my self-study of so many of the greats that I have formed my opinion...and it is just that, an opinion.  I am a 1 handicap, with a wife that is a 39...and I frequently play with mid-handicappers, so my perspective is to make the game more enjoyable for all (I'm also trying to keep my kids involved).  My course is 7200 yards, tight, and the greens are quite fast and have been cut in half several years ago (we host a web.com event)...so most of what I have written doesn't apply to me when I play, but affects my playing partners drastically.  It is always a funny thing when I talk to people that come back from Bandon or even inexpensive places like Myrtle Beach after playing Man O' War, Shaftesbury Glen, or the Wizard.  They always comment on how wide the fairways are and how much fun it was .

I have pictures from ten years ago at Holston and today...and there were so many dead spots around the tree-lined corridors.  It was really ugly, truthfully.  The club boasts probably the lowest ghin's I am aware of in Tennessee....and would guess after they "cleaned" the course, I bet +1's didn't move to +4's, but that is always the prevailing thought?

With regard to your comments about the natural areas...Holston's fairways are 50-60 yards wide, with a 15 yard rough buffer on each side for the most part.  If the concern is finding ones ball...after missing the fairway some 50 yards off-line, I would suggest the offended take lessons.  Nothing wrong with fairways that wide with a proper rough buffer.  I have always believed that Natural areas should be sufficiently high that a player would automatically re-tee and treat it as a lost ball.  The problem with 'wimpy' natural areas are that people waste too much time looking.  

What does 'sky bunkers' as a lessor role mean?  We have three par 5's that require everyone under 290 yards off the tee to lay up, because few can hit a 40 yard high hook on one, a 35 yard high cut 285 yards on another, and 265ish yard high three wood to a green fronted by water.  

Why 10+ handicaps worry about 22 guys in the club shooting 65's all day is 1) insane and 2) rarely happens.  I get sick of watching my friends play a twenty yards slice to just behind my ball in the fairway, and have to hit another high cut to a tucked pin because they don't hit it far 'enough'.  

[/quote]

Hi Joe,

I am certainly no expert either, and don't want you to think I'm necessarily a tree-loving, links-hating aerial guy.  I just think some of the anti-tree sentiment on the site sometimes slides a little too close to the "black vs white" thinking, rather than accepting that golf course design is more of a continuum.  But what you said about the best courses in the world ties in somewhat to what I suggested.  These courses are probably blessed with green complexes that can provide a variety of challenges and make angles more meaningful.  I'm not saying trees will keep the course from being "too easy," but that they can provide challenges and interest when the green complexes really don't demand an ideal angle.  

Using your analogy of setting aside the top 5% of golfers and considering the median guy, I would apply the same to golf courses.  While many of the best courses can provide interest without trees, most of the "average" courses really don't have the green complexes to sustain interest without other strategic elements such as trees.  

Which is where my comment about using "sky hazards in a lessor role" comes from.  No one needs tree lined corridors in any way - that is boring one-dimensional golf.  But what is wrong with having a tree that provides a risk / reward trade-off if you can pull off a prodigious carry or are able to bend a shot 20 yards under control?  

The examples you mentioned seem to be "forced" navigation of trees (e.g. your par 5 example).  I agree that these situations are not good, and are usually the result of dense overgrowth.  Trees on the corners of sharp doglegs that force short layup 2nd shots are also a travesty (e.g. you need a certain minimum drive length to even get a look at the green).  

But I have plenty of examples of a single specimen tree providing significant strategic elements without being overly punitive to the average player.  At my home course, there's a single Oak Tree on a 350 yard par 4 around 180 yards out (inside left of a gentle dogleg).  You want to steer clear of it - you can do that with no problem, but you won't be able to just wail away as there is OB through the dogleg on the right.  But if you can shape a ball off the tee or hit a high long carry, you can challenge the tree for a shorter approach (and beneficial kick-slope) and better angle.  You challenge the tree and lose, you can still attempt a recovery punch shot under the limbs (since it's not dense forest).

In a way, these "sky bunkers" are more versatile.  In my example, the "hazard" is only 180 yards out, so the shorter player can navigate it without too much trouble.  But a longer hitter can't simply ignore the tree because it's "only" 180 yards away (if it were sand, it wouldn't even enter into thought).  

As with any strategic element, over-usage can definitely get old, but I don't find too many people (even higher handicappers) who get frustrated by single specimen trees throughout a course.  But dense forests and excessive plantings certainly get old, because of the "forced" execution and shaping (especially if you have tiny greens).  I just think there's more middle ground.  

As for Holston's native areas, I was judging from the 10th hole you pictured, which did not seem to feature the "buffer area" you mentioned.  The left side did seem pretty tight, with the native area even enveloping a fairway bunker.  Given the choice of that or a large Oak down the left side, I'll get some acorns.   ;)

Jason Topp

Joe:

Brad Klein's latest book, Wide Open Fairways, has some good advice in a chapter towards the end.  His suggestion to focus on maintenence rather than architecture is consistent with my experience.  We were able to take a lot of trees out during a year in which we had trouble with several greens after a rough winter.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back