News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Nuzzo

GAV VI - Paul Daley's Golf Architecture 6 is coming soon
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:46:58 PM »
Paul, who I had my first beer with this spring, sent me a couple pics this week.
This one is of the just printed GAV 6 - a worldwide perspective.
Look for an announcement from him soon.
FYI - It was even better to chat in person with Paul!
Go visit him if you can, it is worth the trip.
If you can't this year, buy all of his books.
Cheers

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Pete_Pittock

Re: GAV VI - Paul Daley's Golf Architecture 6 is coming soon
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 02:20:50 AM »
Have them all. Very happy that he is continuing the series. I did look him up and had a nice lunch with him years ago.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:21:59 AM »
Also have them all. Be great to meet Paul for a discussion/beer/dinner some day.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 10:49:06 AM »
Mike,

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention. Paul Daley is one of the great gentlemen in the game. Great series that I was truly honored to be a part of.

Wish my daughter's college education wasn't quite so expensive and that I could put away some time and money for another trip to see the Aussie guys in Melbourne.

Tim
Tim Weiman

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »
I hope there's a chapter on Wolf Point. 

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 02:05:13 AM »
This is great news, and I hope it is a success.
Meeting Paul Daley should be on every GCA'ers Melbourne itinerary.

I would encourage everyone on this board to support this mammoth endeavour, Paul pours his heart into these books, and it shows.  The production value is first rate, great pictures, informative and interesting articles, right up the alley of most members of GCA.

TK

Paul_Daley

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 05:17:38 PM »
Hi Mike, Peter, Martin, Tim, Bill and Tyler

Many thanks for your kind remarks.  :)

It has been a pleasure to meet and converse over the years; to get your take on the architectural side of the game and be bonded by the greatest game of all. The support of the series is most appreciated, and it helps to make the occasional slog worthwhile. If the truth be known, it’s a case of the moth and the flame.  

The Melbourne GCA connection thoroughly enjoy meeting the people who populate this site, as do those from other Australian cities, so never be shy about putting out a call or email to any of us. You’ll get a frank opinion about a course, or a potential Down Under itinerary, or maybe just a session of ‘shooting the breeze’. While we can’t always fit in a round of golf, an evening’s golf chat, fuelled by steak and beer, easily passes for a great outing. The digital era has certainly created a global golfing village.

I think GCA devotees will enjoy Vol. Six, as there is something in it for everyone. I’ll post the Contents page in the next short while, and follow up with a comment. The 375-page publication involved a large cast and crew, so a greenside bunker waits if I single out individuals.  ;)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 06:25:48 PM »
CAUTION: Do not buy one of these books!

Unless that is, you're prepared to buy the entire series. They're properly addictive. There's literally something in them for everyone. Interesting articles on history, design, philosophy, the works. Truly proper collections of every aspect of the subject we love.
Paul, you might be the moth to the flame, but we're the addicts to your dealer!

Keep 'em comin'!

M.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 06:51:51 PM »
Hey Martin,

Mate, many thanks for beating the drum, and for your kindness. I thoroughly approve of your cautionary tale.

Just reflecting for a moment: When volume one was released, the top of my head was bereft of grey hair. Today, it is strewn with it. This has more to do with missing 24 inch putts than producing the "Golf Archie" series.

As it turns out, Vol. Seven is in the planning stage ...

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 07:28:59 PM »
Marty Bonnar,

Upon yer recommendation I have just succumbed and bought the whole series direct frae Paul in Melbourne.

Ye had better be richt laddie or I'll be looking fer a refund frae ye!!

I am sure you are correct and I am amazed that I did not know about this neat little production but there you go.

Cheers and thanks to Mike Nuzzo for the initial heads up.

Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 09:58:50 PM »
Paul,
What has happened to the fullswing.au website?

ed_getka

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 10:18:01 PM »
Paul is one of the great guys in our golfing world. It was a great pleasure to meet him on our travels Down Under many years ago. I am very happy to hear you are still producing these great volumes Paul. I need to catch up on one or two volumes it appears. Time to put in Xmas requests to the family. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 05:09:34 AM »
Paul

Great to hear that the book is on its way.

Forget posting the contents page.  What we all need to know is what is the spine colour?  It's got to look right sat next to the other five!

Cheers
Robin
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Paul_Daley

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 10:06:15 AM »
Mike: That was a fun night at Victoria GC, and I meant to enquire how Aussie beer compares to your Texan brew. BTW: Thank you for kick-starting this thread. We learn early from our heavy diet of US television that everything in Texas is big. Man, you are a BIG help! And best of luck with Greg Ramsay, Neil Crafter and Paul Mogford at Arm End. No doubt there are hurdles to overcome, but it promises to be a world-class layout.  

Peter: I recall that luncheon very well, and how the afternoon session vanished all too soon. You were an early adopter of the series, and so thank you for your support. Well spotted: you’ve noticed that the Full Swing website is off the internet. It is a web-hosting issue that needs to be resolved. As the Nuz knows, I’m rather hazy on IT matters.  

Martin: We’ve never met, but I have a feeling that will change in due course. You influenced Colin Macqueen to order the full set, so I’m envious of your selling skills. It’s great to learn that you have each volume in the kitty. Your request is duly noted, so I’ll do my level best to keep ‘em coming.

Tim: I’m so pleased that you survived your trip down under, when your severely sunburnt face was mistaken for a lobster. The sun and those UV rays catch out many visitors to these parts. That was a brilliant volume three article you wrote on Ballybunion, and it’s stuck in my mind ever since. Vision of your smooth move through the ball remains vivid!

Bill: It is good to have the opportunity to say hi, and to mention that I’ve always enjoyed your contribution to GCA discourse. From a distance [nothing to do with Bette Midler], it appears that you so often adopt the voice of reason. Your hope was that Wolf Point may surface in Vol. Six. It doesn’t, per se, but you will be pleased that Mike Nuzzo chimes in with a top article titled ‘Ideal yardages for an ideal course: when to test every club in your bag’. He does so by utilising the examples of Stanley Thompson, George Thomas Jr, CB Macdonald, The Old Course and Champions. Wolf Point, from the middle tees, is also discussed.

Tyler: Greetings … and thank you for generous comments. Readers will find your informative Vol. Six essay, ‘Rough buffers: the folly of rough surrounding bunkers to be a well overdue ‘poke in the eye’ of conventional US practice, so far as the proximity of rough to hazards. You rightly point out the absurdity of placing a bunker in the desired region to catch an errant tee-shot; only to find those errant drives being retarded by rough just short of the hazard. I’m glad that your trip to Melbourne was impactful, noticing how cultural practises allow for similarly errant drives to correctly reach the hazard.

Colin: WOW … that is great of you to purchase the complete six-volume set. I’m hopeful the publications bring much enjoyment, as I’d hate to be responsible for a Scottish inter-clan fight between you and Martin. Drop me a note next time you are in Melbourne if the mood strikes.
Ed: Likewise, it was a pleasure to meet all those years ago and lose ourselves in golfy chat. Where did the time fly? Hopefully you won’t have to accrue too many Browny points with your family to expand your library. How is your golf?

Robin: For many of us, a light-bulb event took place around a decade ago --- when you penned that thread on Painswick. In truth, few had a heard of the quirky English course at the time, but your detailed explanation led to an avalanche of interest. Your terrific volume six contribution ‘From Oil Wells to Eagles: The Royal Golf Club, Bahrain’ provides insight into the trials and tribulations of designing/building in a harsh desert climate. LOL on your query about the spine colour, and whether it fits in with earlier volumes. We went with a new studio-designed colour called Cunningham Grey, so named in honour of my graphic designer; namely, the one and only Andrew Cunningham.  

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 02:07:47 PM »
Col,
You're gonna love them. Be prepared for a long, but very worthwhile spell of reading. Just pour yourself a wee dram and enjoy!
Paul,
Just pop the royalty cheque in the post as normal ;)
Cheers,
M.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 02:32:15 PM »
Paul,

Don't hesitate to let us know how we can order.
Tim Weiman

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 09:17:33 PM »
Paul, I'm very glad to hear that Mike Nuzzo has a featured article in your latest.  I can only hope this exposure will be instrumental in greater relegation of his creative work to the world of golf architecture.  Wolf Point is both special and unique.  

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 06:09:36 PM »
Thank you Bill
Don Mahaffey said had some nice things to say about my volume 6 essay - I'm looking forward to other readers too.

Paul
I like the Boag's ale for sure, but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary - besides the creaming soda & fish & chips.
Texas doesn't have very good beers, the next best beer spot I'm looking forward to is in Michigan.
I hope to see you again one day soon, as it would be during the construction process of a very cool golf course.

Cheers

p.s.
My small hotel outside Hobart caught me a fresh squid off the menu for dinner one night too!

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 07:13:56 PM »
Martin: Absolutely, your royalty cheque is in the mail.  :) Small at first, of course, but hopefully it spirals over time.

Tim: Thank you for the invitation to pass on some information. The ordering process can begin by emailing me at: fswing@bigpond.net.au  
All I need are four items: (1) name (2) address (3) credit card details (4) order size. The pricing has remained more stable than the weather: Vol. One (2002) was Au$80/copy, while Vol. Six (2013) weighs in at Au$69.95. An economist would scratch their head, given that bookmaking expenses have doubled over the journey. International postage rates can be an issue from Melbourne, although it often nets favourably downward in the advent of multiple sales. Discounts also apply for multiple copies.    

Bill: Your high regard for The Nuz’s work shines through. Everyone who has played Wolf Point seems to be of one accord; namely, that it’s a super course, a great experience, with unique elements. Fingers crossed that more design commissions are forthcoming so Mike can have an outlet for his creative talent.

Mike:
Yes, with any luck we’ll next catch up during Arm End’s construction. May it not be bogged down with red tape and "stuff".
Boag's ale is wet, cold and flavoursome, so it gets the big tick. I’m surprised to learn that Texas is lacking a strong brew. Ross Perrot ... is he still on the right side of the grass? If so, perhaps he could lend a hand in financing a proper brewery. While you’re at it, tease out the tycoon’s thoughts on golf development.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 07:57:41 PM »
To anybody on the fence, take the dive and order a few volumes, you will not be disappointed.  Let's support this wonderful series and we may be fortunate enough to see it continue well into the future.  I count 8 golf books on my shelf that owe their existence to Paul's efforts since 2000 - a very prolific output in this tiny niche market that seems to be getting harder and harder to publish within.

TK

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 03:03:34 PM »
I just ordered my copy. To save shipping costs if anyone in Oregon or SeaTac area wants one maybe we can consolidate. Id drive up for lunch.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 09:51:33 PM »
Love the series, have all but #3 for some reason.  I've lent out #1 several times to various friends looking to expand their GCA knowledge, the variety of content but depth of each makes for excellent nightstand reading and openings for further thought, and debate.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back