News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Woodcrest redux
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:32:25 PM »
 8) 8) 8)

Won't be long until we all get a shot at playing Woodcrest  as hoped. I was lucky enough to meet and talk some golf with the new owners, who just happen to have some Ocean City connections as well.

I can report that plans are in motion to open the golf course , perhaps as early as next week to the general public . Some membership  plans are also being formulated .  I proffered a few opinions (just couldn't resist) on the history of the club , and how fortunate they were to,have a classic Flynn golf course .  Intrigued as to the condition of the golf course I asked if I could pay a visit , and when given the chance jumped .

So today I toured Woodcrest!  I must confess my affinity for the place remains to this day .

Superintendent Pat Lucas and his crew were moving , and the conditions were quite good. He's really a talented guy.  You could  have played there today had the pins been cut, and my guess is its days , not weeks away from  being exceptional.   

For those who,haven't seen the golf course , its an eclectic mix of  holes which favors accuracy over  distance. It's really fun , and challenging at the same time. I'd be surprised if anyone here wouldn't enjoy it,it's that good. Stay tuned .

Bill Shotzbarger

Re: Woodcrest redux
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:23:42 AM »
Great news Archie. I'm looking forward to another Philly-area GCA game.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 07:51:12 AM »
May not happen for a while.  NJ local government screwed up again:

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/209599461.html
Officials concede council's Woodcrest meeting violated rules

archie_struthers

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 08:10:02 AM »
 ??? ;D :D

Dan , the sale is final, deed passed hands. Just some political flak coming for Cherry Hill relative to meeting .

Golf coming back to Woodcrest  real soon !
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:30:53 AM by archie_struthers »

fred ruttenberg

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 03:24:04 PM »
WE have an opening event for former members this Thursday (June 6).

David Federman

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 04:40:09 PM »
Played this Flynn gem for the first time today in perfect conditions. The course is in immaculate shape - greens fast and true, fairways terrific, rough thick, but not unreasonable. It is a real test of all facets of the game - great variety of holes, shot and long 4 pars, fun 5 pars, and the collection of par 3s are excellent.  I would agree that it could use some tree surgery, but otherwise you will find no complaints from me. On this perfect Friday in August, not much play. It is hard to understand how this wonderful tract could end up being plowed under for housing. The new owners are putting money into it - great restaurant; new patio overlooking 18th green; pool redone; maintenance is tops. I hope they can make it work.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 09:06:55 PM »
David - I wish the owners put money into tree removal.  Couldn't give a rip about a restaurant, patio, or pool - those are the type of things that can KILL golf clubs.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 07:20:20 PM »
Played this Flynn gem for the first time today in perfect conditions. The course is in immaculate shape - greens fast and true, fairways terrific, rough thick, but not unreasonable. It is a real test of all facets of the game - great variety of holes, shot and long 4 pars, fun 5 pars, and the collection of par 3s are excellent.  I would agree that it could use some tree surgery, but otherwise you will find no complaints from me. On this perfect Friday in August, not much play. It is hard to understand how this wonderful tract could end up being plowed under for housing. The new owners are putting money into it - great restaurant; new patio overlooking 18th green; pool redone; maintenance is tops. I hope they can make it work.

Four letter word DEBT is why.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back