News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Re: The Sagebrush Golf & Sporting Club Experience
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2010, 01:59:50 PM »
It is, Penguin.

As you've inferred above, if you're not careful it can be difficult to continue with a round of golf after the tee shot at #13  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Sean Leary

« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2010, 02:49:28 PM »
Jeff,

I am glad that they did do it the way they did.

Did you or Rod ever go look at Desert Canyon in Central WA The sites are remarkably similar, although the routings are very different.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2010, 07:15:25 PM »

It was great to have SEan Leary and Rich Choi up at Sagebrush for a couple of days and I really look forward to seeing a bunch of you on August 9 and 10. I still have some maybes and ask that those who were on the fence about attending get in touch with me asap by email.

It is very interesting to see reactions to the course from those seeing it the first time. Love it and the more times I go around the place, the more I love it. There is so much to learn about Sagebrush. Your first round is often a "wow" round and it takes a few more trips for it to sink in. But it will not disappoint!

A couple of thoughts from the few days up there this week:

-  The Hideout truly is a great experience, especially for dinner. The food is great and the company with Dick, Terry, Scotty the chef and others is both informative and entertaining. Most of all however, and this is not belittling those above, were the two bald eagles sitting in the trees across the lake at the Hideout and watching one of them take a couple of "swoops" across the lake before a quick dive, barely touching the water with his talons, to scoop up a Kamloops trout. It was truly amazing and about 50 feet from 20+ of us sitting on the deck sipping beer and wine or in Rich's case, a GT (he would fit in very well at Deal!). What a spectacle.

-  Sean is correct in that "The Book" is essential for first timers. There are directions on how to play the course, the most important of which are the line of attack off of the tee, which in several cases is not at all apparent.

-  I hate to be so agreeable but Sean is correct in the walkability of the course. It is only those climbs from green to tee that he and Jeff mention above that would keep me from walking and I am an old f__t.

-  I have said before how much I love the green complex at 9. It is truly amazing and unique and both Sean and I agreed.  Back left creates the flow across a green that most of us on this site love to see. I do find plenty of greens where the ball runs out, contrary to Sean.

-  I will post more later on best holes and it was interesting to see Rich and Sean playing the blacks, as I and my buddies before had stuck to the blues.

-  Only one upsetting note to the trip was the logo display from Sean. A Capilano shirt the first day was okay but on the second day, knowing poor Matt Bosella was nearby, faced us with looking at a Cypress Point shirt with a Merion cap. I suspect Matt was visibly upset.

-  A question to Jeff M. Why is the bunker on 14, one of the best drivable par 4s anywhere, known as the "Penguin's coffin"? Phillipe must have been living in it.

Regards and see a lot of you on August 9 and 10! More posted in the next couple of days.

Bob Jenkins

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2010, 07:55:41 PM »
Bob,

As you know, 13 is the potentially driveable par-4. It's 14 which features the "Penguin's Bathtub" - not coffin! - behind the green.

This was the first bunker Philippe "Penguin" Binette dug for us, at Sagebrush. The form was basically there, as a hole in the ground. Philippe took so much material out of this hole, though, we forced him to fill it back up a bit! Seemed there was little chance of a golfer getting, reasonably comfortably, in and out of this pit at the depth he originally dug it!

Because of it's shape - bathtub-esque - this bunker immediately became known as "Penguin's Bathtub" amongst our crew. 
jeffmingay.com

Sean Leary

« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2010, 09:02:39 PM »
Bob J,

Thanks again for inviting us.

You misunderstood my comment on the greens. Normally when courses are built into the side of a hill like that,  greens break toward the low side more than it looks because of the general slope of the hill. Theren I kept expecting putts to break more than they did towards the lake, that is all. The greens rolled out, for sure.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2010, 12:07:40 AM »

Sean,

My apologies, I did misunderstand you. No disagreement that Sagebrush is one ton of fun!

Bob

Rob Rigg

« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2010, 12:54:23 AM »
The "brush tee" allows Rich to play from the Black Tees at will - otherwise he would have to stick to the Reds - just ask him - the power of the brush is magical.

Wonderful to see the stellar reviews for a super "fun" course in Canada continuing to roll in - great job guys!

Richard Choi

« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2010, 12:33:59 PM »
I had a pretty miserable driving weekend, no thanks to brush tee! :)

Seriously, I had a great time at Sagebrush (thanks again Bob!) Sagebrush is a gem of a course that really plays tricks with your mind with its scale and angles. It may take me at least another dozen round before I get comfortable with where I am going.

My favorite hole was the 9th with its huge undulating green with a nasty greenside bunker that eats up any approaches or chips hit without authority. The green movement reminded me of several at Old Macdonald, and that is a big complement in my book.

And the dinner at the Hideout may be my all time favorite meal at golf course ever. The setting, people, and food was beyond perfect.

The course reminded me of the many pictures I have seen of Black Mesa (I have never played there), and I am guessing they probably play very similar as well since Sagebrush really feels like an amped up roller coaster version of an Arizona desert course.

My only regret is that I didn't get a chance to walk the course, but there is always next time. I think the GCA group going next week will have an amazing time up there. Have fun boys!

Matt Bosela

« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2010, 04:29:03 PM »
I want to echo everything Bob said about Sagebrush - I spent three days at the club last week and I was once again blown away by the experience both on and off the golf course.  It's truly a unique place in Canada and shares the same spirit as places like Ballyneal and Sand Hills, something that must make Mr. Zokol and Mr. Donald, along with Rod, Jeff, Philippe and the rest of the crew proud.

It was great sitting down to dinner with Bob, Sean and Richard and I only regret that we didn't get a chance to play a round together.  Hopefully that can be rectified next year!

I'll soon post some new photos of Sagebrush that were taken last week to add a little more 'flavour' to this thread and give everyone who is attending Bob's outing in a couple weeks a taste of what's to come.

Matt Bosela

Re: The Sagebrush Golf & Sporting Club Experience (w/2010 Update)
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2010, 11:09:31 PM »
As promised, for the benefit of those travelling to Sagebrush next week for Bob Jenkins' event, here are some photos I took last week when I was at the club with some friends.

Yours truly mugging for the camera

1st Hole

Looking down at 1st and 3rd holes with Nicola Lake looming large

2nd Hole Approach

3rd Tee

3rd Green

4th Tee

Looking at back of 4th Green from near the Pro Shop

5th Tee

5th Hole Approach Area

5th Hole - Blasting Out of Greenside Bunker...and that's my drive! :)

5th Green from Road off to the right

6th Tee

7th Hole - Approach Area

7th Green Looking Back up Fairway

7th Green - Don't Believe Dick Zokol and Terry Donald when they say there aren't snakes!!! :)

9th Hole Approach Area

9th Hole Approach

9th Hole - Hitting from Fairway Bunker with 17th and 18th Holes in Background

The tremendous 9th Green

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 12:13:00 PM by Matt Bosela »

Rob Rigg

« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2010, 11:24:36 PM »
As captivating a setting as I have ever seen for golf.

It looks like Sagebrush possesses many elements of courses universally loved on this site - both in the architecture and in the surroundings.

Enjoy your time there lads - it looks EPIC!

Matt Bosela

« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2010, 11:27:27 PM »
Back Nine photos...

10th Tee

10th Green

11th Fairway

11th Green, another great one

12th Tee

12th Tee with 14th Hole in Background

The short one-shot 12th Hole, very 'Pine Valley-esque'

12th Hole - Massive outcropping left of tee

12th Green

13th Tee

The Hideout - best getaway area in golf as my buddy casts a fly

13th Hole in front of Green

14th Tee

14th Fairway

15th Tee

15th Fairway

15th Approach Area

15th Green

16th Hole

16th Green from Behind

17th Fairway Bunker - I'm in quite the predicament here...yes, sideways blast out with Green in Background!

18th Green

Garland Bayley

« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2010, 12:58:50 AM »
Matt,

That's not a snake. That's a mountain caterpillar.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Freeman

« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2011, 04:35:33 PM »
Thought I would bump this thread to help everyone get through a week of work (hopefully before hitting the course sometime this weekend!).

Sagebrush looks REALLY special.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2011, 04:57:03 PM »

George,

Sagebrush is even better in person, but I am admittedly biased. Thanks for bringing this up again and this is to remind all of you that we are holding the Kings Putter at Sagebrush and Marine Drive in Vancouver June 9-11, 2012. There are still positions open and for details  see this thread 

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48094.0.html 

If you are interested, please let me know.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2012, 03:54:30 PM »
As was mentioned in the King's Putter thread there have been two changes in the architecture at Sagebrush. First, the hillside greenside on the left side of #2 has been cut back. Speed chutes are good but this one would slingshot balls into the right bunker.

The second change is the removal of the pot bunker midway in the seventh fairway.This was a maintenance issue because it was always mudding up. Without it there is nothing intervening for a shot to the prime leftside positioning on the fairway.  My amateur opinion is that something is needed to tighten up the shot for medium length hitters.

It's been awhile but this is what diverts you on the 13th
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 04:39:15 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2013, 11:55:49 PM »
The Sagebrush course is now on Bing Maps.
12 miles east of Merritt, British Columbia. 120.5217 W Long, 50.1512 N Lat.

Looks like the overflight was maybe last June because the three lodge buildings (12 units) are built but the driveways haven't been paved. Also, the Selkirks putting course/green is under construction. It is still a few weeks away from playability.
Highest point is the 12th green above the lake on the SE corner. Low point is on the par 3 heading east from the parking lot on the NW edge. 400ft?

I re-upped my posse membership for 2013. GCAers, feel free to contact me if you are interested in laying there. The down side - I have to accompany my guests.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 10:37:56 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2013, 08:40:40 AM »
What a memorable course!  I just went through the photos and very clearly remember every hole.  Thats my personal mark of a very good course.  Happily I have blocked out the worst of the foozles.   Still not sure when I injured my right thumb.  The turf is very firm. 

Jim Franklin

« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2013, 03:53:59 PM »
Sagebrush was my favorite golf experience of 2013. Even better than my 66 at Nicklaus North. It still saddens me at the loss of Terry Donald. I only met him briefly, but his passion for Sagebrush was unmatched. It is also sad that Mr Zokol doesn't spend more time there. Although with Terry's passing, maybe Dick will come back. The entire experience at Sagebrush was fantastic. Bob was a tremendous host and I thank him for his generosity. I hope to get back there one day.
Mr Hurricane

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2014, 06:03:53 PM »
Finishing up two days at Sagebrush.  There is now a cellphone tower behind the first green. Most nights dinner is at the Badlands pation in the new residences. Occasionally a group can arrange dinner at the Hideout. This year and last year I was able to enjoy that experience by piggybacking. Yesterday as we finished dinner a black bear was swimming in the pond!

Very minor changes on the golf course. It is a little bit easier to find wayward golf balls. For example users of the speed slot on #5 now have playable recovery shots if the ball ends up left of the cartpath. Some fringe/apron work is being done on some greens to keep trickling balls out of bunkers by changing mowing heights or widening fringes. Course is firm but not fiercely so, but maybe that's because I've managed to book just after rainy days.

I brought some glowballs up and they will stay here for entertainment purposes. So far they've just been pitched from the patio area to the lit putting green, but they might venture to new arenas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back