News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re: Bandon Trails (C&C) - A Photo Tour!! - All 18 Posted
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 12:34:33 AM »
Thanks, Will, and that's very interesting - I can't remember reading anyone else who's played there saying that he'd divide his time/his rounds so evenly. The 'ranking' mentality runs so deep that most seem almost embarrassed NOT to divide their playing time (say 10 rounds) more like 5-3-2-0.  

Peter

William_G

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 01:17:24 AM »
Thanks, Will, and that's very interesting - I can't remember reading anyone else who's played there saying that he'd divide his time/his rounds so evenly. The 'ranking' mentality runs so deep that most seem almost embarrassed NOT to divide their playing time (say 10 rounds) more like 5-3-2-0.  

Peter

I'm with Will 110%...great call

each course is different every time you play it, so that it makes moot any endeavor to optimally "ration" your rounds at Bandon

It's all about the golf!

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 09:51:48 AM »

Peter

I'm with Will 110%...great call

each course is different every time you play it, so that it makes moot any endeavor to optimally "ration" your rounds at Bandon

I totally agree with Will G.  My opinion of the courses has changed every time I have left Bandon.  Previously, I could not get enough of Old Mac.  It was the most fun I have ever had on a golf course.  After leaving this summer, I had a new appreciation for PD.  Its such a great routing with strategy on every hole.  Also, you get a great feeling of seclusion.  It seems like the dunes and shore pines it is routed through gives each hole a sense of privacy.  And I walked away loving BD even more.  That front nine is incredible.  When you look down off 3 tee, out to the ocean and the property, you just know you are in for an exciting round.  Such great diversity and cliff top holes.  Now I know I need to spend more time on Trails next trip.  It is too good to not give it my full attention.  

Thomas Dai

Re: Bandon Trails (C&C) - A Photo Tour!! - Hole 12 Posted
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2013, 03:46:23 PM »
Hole 13: Par 4, 401 Yards

This is some greensite for a hole of this length. I imagine a lot of players would be playing a shot to run-in but can't help but think an awful lot of shots would run-off instead leading to some interesting up-n-downs that could be played in a great many different ways with a great variety of different clubs. The green looks pretty small as well. Is it?

One aspect of the course, and this is meant very much as a compliment, and most definitely not as a criticism, is that so many of the holes look like they were laid out by a couple of eager 10 ys old boys having some fun. "We'll put a green on that hump". "Let's put a tee on that high point". "How about a bunker in that hollow?". "We'll play over the side of that ridge and hide the green around that corner". Just the kind of thing my mates and I did years ago in a humpy-bumpy field. Okay, I know it wasn't that simple for C&C at BT , but I'm sure you get my drift.

Splendid photo tour as alway Mark. Thanks for sharing.

All the best

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2013, 04:03:40 PM »
A very good tour and it makes me want to drop what I am doing and book my next trip...

I really like BT and it grows on me each visit.  While I prefer PD and OM to it, BT is easily my favorite "walk" of any course at Bandon Dunes and I place it right behind Cypress Point as my favorite "walk" in golf.

BT, to me, is an epic journey - from the dunes, across the road, to the forest, and eventually back to the dunes.  I love the solitude and isolation back in the forest and really love every step of the way.  I enjoy being back in the forest for a few hours every trip as it stands in stark contrast to the scale and grandeur of the ocean-side courses.  It is almost a bit of a respite from the wind and crashing surf below.

I believe some of the most interesting greens at the resort are at BT along with some of the most interesting ties from the fairways into the green surrounds - there is a great "seamlessness" to BT that really appeals to my eye.

While I enjoy the "hole by hole" match play or boxing matches we have here on GCA from time to time, I actually prefer comparing courses by their sets of pars - the short holes against the short holes, the par fours against the fours, and fives versus fives.  If I were to do that at Bandon Dunes, here is where I think I would be...

Par 3s
1. PD
2. BT
3. OM
4. BD

Par 4s
1. PD
2. OM
3. BT
4. BD

Par 5s
1. PD
2. BT
3. OM
4. BD

A special place by any measure...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 04:23:21 PM by Chris_Hufnagel »

Carl Rogers

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2013, 09:44:08 AM »
BT makes me want to be half my age so I could walk it effectively .... in the 2 rounds played there, I was just too dead tired by Hole 14.
In spite of the funkiness of 14, 16 & 18, the walk is enchanting.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:47:29 AM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

William_G

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2013, 11:04:53 AM »
Hole 13: Par 4, 401 Yards

This is some greensite for a hole of this length. I imagine a lot of players would be playing a shot to run-in but can't help but think an awful lot of shots would run-off instead leading to some interesting up-n-downs that could be played in a great many different ways with a great variety of different clubs. The green looks pretty small as well. Is it?

One aspect of the course, and this is meant very much as a compliment, and most definitely not as a criticism, is that so many of the holes look like they were laid out by a couple of eager 10 ys old boys having some fun. "We'll put a green on that hump". "Let's put a tee on that high point". "How about a bunker in that hollow?". "We'll play over the side of that ridge and hide the green around that corner". Just the kind of thing my mates and I did years ago in a humpy-bumpy field. Okay, I know it wasn't that simple for C&C at BT , but I'm sure you get my drift.

Splendid photo tour as alway Mark. Thanks for sharing.

All the best

those eager boys created the 13th green by filling a spot in a ravine with sand and forming the green LOL
It's all about the golf!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2013, 12:14:59 PM »
In which case well done to eager young Bill & Ben for filling that spot in the ravine to create the nice 13th green and an especially big well done to Mr Keiser for letting them and those other eager nice young boys Master D and Master M-K into his garden rather than letting Mr Fazio or one of the Jones Bros in to play.
All the best
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:46:40 PM by Thomas Dai »

William_G

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2013, 09:46:51 AM »
In which case well done to eager young Bill & Ben for filling that spot in the ravine to create the nice 13th green and an especially big well done to Mr Keiser for letting them and those other eager nice young boys Master D and Master M-K into his garden rather than letting Mr Fazio or one of the Jones Bros in to play.
All the best

no doubt
It's all about the golf!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 10:08:43 AM »
I read that there was significant word done to 15 through 18 - are the photos of the redone holes - exactly what was done? 

Greg Taylor

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2013, 10:31:09 AM »
I know the green was re-laid on the 15th... it had just been completed when we played there is Sept.

The 18th also was re-worked due to too many lost balls off the tee... one thing I'm not sure if everyone else had this bt the 16th tore our group apart, that is one tough par 5. If you go even slightly left off the tee its hard to get the ball back in play to leave a reasonable chance of hitting the GIR.

Still, a great course. My favourite at BD along with Pac Dunes and Old Mac - if you know what I mean!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2014, 09:19:50 PM »

Steve Lang

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 06:39:37 PM »
Haven't yet been to Bandon (in case my wife is reading this, I really really want to go!), so I appreciate the photo tour. Am I totally off base in thinking that Trails reminds me of Kingsley? Has anyone else made the same comparison? Would any of the Kingsley guys who have played Trails care to weigh in?

Brian,

first thoughts on BT vs TKC..

I think there's more "what you see is what you get" at BT.. and as noted, one is definitely off on a golf adventure through the northwest territory.  I liked the feel there better than TKC's Pure Michigan vibe with some property boundary lines in sight and play, but that's never going to keep me away from TKC.   The looks at BT are great, no doubt adding to the visual experiences, and inciting bunker terror, but maybe too much of a good thing?

At BT, first time out with some preparations, you can get around pretty well, if you execute some shots, rewards are there.  At TKC there's more danger lurking from ground movement, that I think just has to be experienced. At TKC one has more "where do we go?" moments...

Par 3's, I think nod clearly goes to TKC. Perhaps the Par 5's too.. but I leave that for others to really argue about

I don't think BT has a the sheer fun/fear hole like the par 3 9th at TKC ("the shortest 5 shoot" hole around) though BT's #14 gets a lot of talk.. 

Final touch that only a Golf Club can have… a good shot from the mailbox at TKC's 18th tee, to steady the nerves Laddy..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »
I liked the feel there better than TKC's Pure Michigan vibe with some property boundary lines in sight and play, but that's never going to keep me away from TKC.

Steve, what "property boundary lines in sight and play" are you referring to at Kingsley?  Certainly, the Club has places where it runs up against the property line in a couple of places, but not sure I would say they take away from the overall experience and unless you were with a member who knew them pretty well, I would say most people wouldn't even notice them.  Kingsley has it reasons for people to not to like it, but your comment about the property lines is the first time have heard such a criticism...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:50:06 PM by Chris_Hufnagel »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 07:00:59 PM »
Haven't yet been to Bandon (in case my wife is reading this, I really really want to go!), so I appreciate the photo tour. Am I totally off base in thinking that Trails reminds me of Kingsley? Has anyone else made the same comparison? Would any of the Kingsley guys who have played Trails care to weigh in?

Brian,

first thoughts on BT vs TKC..

I think there's more "what you see is what you get" at BT.. and as noted, one is definitely off on a golf adventure through the northwest territory.  I liked the feel there better than TKC's Pure Michigan vibe with some property boundary lines in sight and play, but that's never going to keep me away from TKC.   The looks at BT are great, no doubt adding to the visual experiences, and inciting bunker terror, but maybe too much of a good thing?

At BT, first time out with some preparations, you can get around pretty well, if you execute some shots, rewards are there.  At TKC there's more danger lurking from ground movement, that I think just has to be experienced. At TKC one has more "where do we go?" moments...

Par 3's, I think nod clearly goes to TKC. Perhaps the Par 5's too.. but I leave that for others to really argue about

I don't think BT has a the sheer fun/fear hole like the par 3 9th at TKC ("the shortest 5 shoot" hole around) though BT's #14 gets a lot of talk.. 

Final touch that only a Golf Club can have… a good shot from the mailbox at TKC's 18th tee, to steady the nerves Laddy..

Steve:

Not so fast on the Mailbox trump card, Bandon might win that test.  Legend has it a good samaritan leaves 10-15 bottles of scotch hidden around the Bandon property every year.  If you find one, its your lucky day.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jordan Caron

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2014, 07:19:05 PM »
Did you play there in early Novemeber Mark? I was there around the same time and had great weather all 3 days.

Trails is my 2nd fav on the resort behind Old Mac. I love the finishing three holes, especially the 16th.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2014, 08:51:40 AM »
So my friend, the Golfweek rater, told me that if you put BT in the middle of the country, no one would like it and it would be just another golf course. I don't agree with that at all and think it is a fabulous course no matter where it is.
Mr Hurricane

Michael George

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2014, 09:08:27 AM »
So my friend, the Golfweek rater, told me that if you put BT in the middle of the country, no one would like it and it would be just another golf course. I don't agree with that at all and think it is a fabulous course no matter where it is.

Jim:

I think it is exactly the opposite.  I think BT would be higher ranked if it was not surrounded by the other great courses at Bandon.   It is the most diverse golf course that I have possibly ever played.

I am from Ohio and am not sure there is any stretch in my state like #11-#15.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2014, 09:26:44 AM »

Jim:

I think it is exactly the opposite.  I think BT would be higher ranked if it was not surrounded by the other great courses at Bandon.   

I would tend to agree with Michael, if anything, I feel Bandon Trails suffers from being compared to the other courses at the Resort and not sitting right on the ocean and missing the magnificent vistas the other courses present...

Jim Franklin

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2014, 11:52:46 AM »
I agree with (and I can't believe I am saying this) Michael too. If BT was in Maryland, I would play any chance I had. He said there were a few holes like #18 that were awful and some other holes that all drives ended up in same place. I don't want to rehash, but suffice is to say, I am a BT fan.
Mr Hurricane

Michael George

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2014, 12:15:27 PM »
Jim:

I know it was a shock, but it gets easier to admit over time.   

The only criticisms of BT which I could agree:

-par 5's are average.  3 is the best by far.  9 is average.  16 is a slog.
-don't like the walk from 13 green to 14 tee
-4 and 6 are fairly similar holes close in the routing

That is about it.

I would rank as the best course in Ohio.....

Still waiting for a Doak, C&C or Hanse course in my home state. 

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Mike Hendren

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2014, 12:30:07 PM »
I have long been a Trails apologist.  However, it just hit me a moment ago that it could rival Cypress Point Club as the "best 17 hole course in the world."   Perhaps harsh, but I find the finisher to be a huge let-down from tee to cup, not to mention somewhat of a slog (the 2nd in 3 holes at Michael points out above) late in the day.  

What do you gents think?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2014, 12:58:54 PM »
Bogey:

Have you played the new version of the 18th?

MG:

Disagree on 4 and 6.  Superficially similar, but when you think about how you can actually play both holes, they are further apart then you think.  Also disagree on 16, but I can appreciate that some people don't like an uphill walk to finish off a long day.  To me, I look forward to the drive on the hole from the moment I tee off, the speed slot on the right is one of the cooler features on the course.

And no one but a masochist walks 13 to 14 (but I accept that as a criticism of the course).

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

PCCraig

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2014, 02:31:27 PM »
I think I need to play BT more to better appreciate it. I must be missing something as I don't see it close to CPC as the "best 17-hole course in the world" as noted above. Actually, I think #1 is a far less desirable hole than #18.

I thought it was a really enjoyable golf course with some fantastic golf holes, but I thought some of the par-4's felt repetitive (in particular off the tee) and the 1st and 18th holes don't live up to the rest of the course. I think BT is worthy of its Top-100 status, but I thought there were a couple of little details that hold the course back from PD & OM's league.
H.P.S.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2014, 02:50:29 PM »
Bogey:

Have you played the new version of the 18th?

Not that I know of.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back