News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Bandon Trails (C&C) - A Photo Tour!! - All 18 Posted
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:55:23 PM »

Hole 1: Par 4, 392 Yards

Hole 2: Par 3, 214 Yards

Hole 3: Par 5, 549 Yards

Hole 4: Par 4, 408 Yards

Hole 5: Par 3, 133 Yards

Hole 6: Par 4, 395 Yards

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 05:44:00 PM by Mark Saltzman »

Ronald Montesano

Re: Bandon Trails (C&C) - A Photo Tour!! - Hole 6 Posted
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 09:56:20 PM »
Amazing golf course...best piece of property on site.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Dan Smoot

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 07:59:44 AM »
This course just keeps growing on me every time I play it

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 11:37:58 AM »
There's a real genius in the transition from the dunes to the forest and back to the dunes that has been written about and that has been compared to Friar's Head.  The course can be very difficult, especially into and around a number of the greens, but the best thing about the course, IMHO, is that it really has a sense of place; you always know you're in the Pacific Northwest.  The other courses don't really have that as a dominant theme.  Final note, of the first six holes here, the second and the fifth constitute a phenomenal opening set of par-3 holes.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 03:44:31 PM »
#3 is my favorite hole on the entire complex. The first 2 holes get you going and when you hit #3  that is when the magic starts to happen and you know you are in for something special.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 03:51:51 PM »
Emile:

Agreed, and would say the stretch from 3 to 6 is one of my favorite run of holes in golf.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jim Tang

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 04:24:52 PM »
I think the opening 3 holes at Trails represent the best opening of any of the courses at the resort.  I liked Trails  A LOT more the second time I saw it, with roughly 5 years passing between visits.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 04:42:05 PM »
I love this course, and one of my favourites at the resort - if they happened to have a membership, and I was lucky enough to be a member, I think I would find myself playing out on the East side of the property a LOT.

Do you think 15 holes in the forest is enough? I am sure they didn't HAVE to use the 3 holes and clubhouse in the Dunes, would you think it would have been better with all 18 hidden away in the forest.

Did Mr Keiser want to use the Dunes land to connect it to the rest of the resort?

anyone know?

BM
PS: I love #2 - first visited at about 5pm and just thought it was an incredible hole.
@theflatsticker

JLahrman

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 05:53:07 PM »
Too bad the photos don't show that wraparound bunker behind #6, one of my favorite traps.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 08:11:09 PM »
Brett,

Mike decided to buy the property when he got to the promontory near the 14th tee. He was that impressed. But he was patient enough to wait for the third course to be built to utilize that land. Vision and patience.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

William_G

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 10:23:57 PM »
Brett,

Mike decided to buy the property when he got to the promontory near the 14th tee. He was that impressed. But he was patient enough to wait for the third course to be built to utilize that land. Vision and patience.

from that promontory you can see what became the 16th green at Bandon Dunes and beyond
It's all about the golf!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 10:33:21 PM »
Mark, these are some of your best photos ever. The light couples with the rumpled ground is really a special combination. Since I still haven't made it to Bandon, they're making me reevaluate some of my life decisions.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 11:02:01 PM »
Here's another photo tour of Trails:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631879289382/show/with/8134490213/

If you click "show info" in the upper right it will show hole #'s
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:03:36 PM by Stewart Abramson »

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 10:32:57 PM »
Hole 7: Par 4, 440 Yards

Hole 8: Par 4, 321 Yards

Hole 9: Par 5, 567 Yards

Hole 10: Par 4, 418 Yards

Hole 11: Par 4, 445 Yards

Hole 12: Par 3, 248 Yards

Ben Kodadek

Re: Bandon Trails (C&C) - A Photo Tour!! - Hole 12 Posted
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 06:15:37 AM »
Mark,

These are truly excellent photos.  Thanks for all the work!

Steve Kline

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 06:24:05 AM »
I think this is my favorite course at the resort.

William_G

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 09:36:06 AM »
I love Trails...need to get that bumper sticker.  :)

the other day when we played, Trails was again like a private course...the routing precludes you from seeing many other golfers, as well as the fact that the other golfers at the resort are busy playing the other courses...

there was a 7:30 group which left us in the dust, and after our 7:40 time there wasn't anyone else scheduled til the afternoon

most days it is like that, which for me enhances the experience, it was so quiet and peaceful (no wind) 8)

thanks Mark
It's all about the golf!

Greg Taylor

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 04:25:51 PM »
Mark, thanks for these.. bumping up thread... do you have 13-18...?

You can't lead us on like this can you?!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 05:43:44 PM »
Hole 13: Par 4, 401 Yards

Hole 14: Par 4, 325 Yards

Hole 15: Par 4, 406 Yards

Hole 16: Par 5, 530 Yards

Hole 17: Par 3, 180 Yards

Hole 18: Par 4, 399 Yards

Jud_T

Re: Bandon Trails (C&C) - A Photo Tour!! - All 18 Posted
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 05:54:08 PM »
So, what did you card on 14?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 05:59:27 PM »
So, what did you card on 14?

4. Hit a weak cut to lower part of fairway on right. Hit a pw from about 100 to centre of green and two-putted.

I can't speak to the difficulty of the hole before, but with any sort of wind this hole must still keep X in the picture and ping pong possibility high.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 07:57:38 PM »
Mark:  thanks, as always  - top flight stuff there!

I think I'm in the quickly shrinking minority around here who still must enjoy and think about Bandon only through photos like these; but the puzzle/picture that is Bandon gets clearer to me every day: it's a place where the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. If BT wasn't there (or OM or PD or BD), the resort would suffer much more than 'a quarter' loss. What OM "is" has so much more "is-ness" to it precisely because BT is right next door with so much "is-ness" of its own (to put it badly).

Peter

BHoover

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 08:12:11 PM »
Haven't yet been to Bandon (in case my wife is reading this, I really really want to go!), so I appreciate the photo tour. Am I totally off base in thinking that Trails reminds me of Kingsley? Has anyone else made the same comparison? Would any of the Kingsley guys who have played Trails care to weigh in?

William_G

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 08:20:34 PM »
great pic of 17, is there a bad pic of that hole?

I loveTrails
It's all about the golf!

Will MacEwen

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 10:39:54 PM »
Mark:  thanks, as always  - top flight stuff there!

I think I'm in the quickly shrinking minority around here who still must enjoy and think about Bandon only through photos like these; but the puzzle/picture that is Bandon gets clearer to me every day: it's a place where the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. If BT wasn't there (or OM or PD or BD), the resort would suffer much more than 'a quarter' loss. What OM "is" has so much more "is-ness" to it precisely because BT is right next door with so much "is-ness" of its own (to put it badly).

Peter

Peter,

I think that is a very good observation from so far away.

I've been at least a dozen times. Have played all the courses in all conditions. My ideal trip remains 8 rounds, 2 on each course, and then whatever extra I can grab. If I play one course only once the trip feels unbalanced.

My trips aren't about just playing four great courses; they are about experiencing Bandon as a whole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back