News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Okula

Courses Allowing Metal Spikes
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:15:45 AM »
I think we discussed this topic here some years ago, but I'd like an update.

Are there any courses today that still allow metal spikes?
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

jonathan_becker

Re: Courses Allowing Metal Spikes
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 08:31:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the courses at the Pebble Beach resort still allow them.  They just prefer soft spikes.  

jonathan_becker

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 08:35:52 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the courses at the Pebble Beach resort still allow them.  They just prefer soft spikes.  

As of last year, they still allowed them.

http://www.americangolf.com/blog/golf-equipment/spikeless-golf-shoes-are-comfortable-eco-friendly/

BHoover

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 08:39:57 AM »
Can you still purchase metal spikes? I can't remember the last time I saw any in a golf shop. Hell, I haven't even purchased soft spikes in years, let alone metal spikes.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 01:11:20 PM »
You are correct Steve this has been discussed I think last year. There are many if not most of the courses that allow metal spikes up here in the highlands indeed I am struggling to think of one that does not.

Jon

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 03:43:34 PM »
Every course that hosts a PGA Tour event allows metal spikes, at least for one week a year.

WW

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »
One of the more interesting policies I've heard of is that Merion doesn't allow Black Widow Spikes.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 11:15:08 AM »
 :D
Yes, you can still get the real things.  Had my old FJ Classics re-soled and as the shoe guy was not up on the latest in "spike" technology, he put the old phillips spikes in  ;)  I hit balls in them and it is a huge difference.  The sound on the concrete is cool too!

I walked ouit on one of my greens and it is hard to beleive we actually wore these things--it was brutal!

Steve Okula

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 01:39:31 PM »
A follow up question: Does anybody here wear soft spikes because they offer a playing advantage over metals?

The reason I ask is that while a soft-spike Policy has been in effect at my club for at least the past twelve years, we've recently had some members requesting approval to don the metals.

I realize it puts me in the radical fringe of superintendents, but I am unconvinced that metal spikes are necessarily deterimental to putting surfaces. I have been greenkeeping since the '70's, before soft spikes came in, and I have yet to see any difference in putting surfaces due to type of shoe spikes. My suspicion is that the soft spike hysteria has been promulgated as a conspiracy between club managers who want to reduce wear and tear on hard surfaces around the clubhouse, and some marketing people and manufacturers who wanted a new market to exploit. Along the way, they managed to brianwash not only the golfing public but 99% of superintendents that sof spikes are indispensable for the health of the greens.

Many of those same superintendents then run spiking machines across the same greens to open holes the same way metal spikes would.

In 2010 we hosted a European Tour event. One of our greens is small and sloping, so even with 10 ft stimp speeds most of it is unpinnable. The PGA officials had us keep the pin in the one playable position from the Wednesday Pro-am until Sunday's final round. As Wade points out, all the Tour guys wear metals. Over five days we had 300 rounds of metal spikes going to that one, same position and the turf around it was find in the end.

I told my members to go ahead and tool up with metal spikes if they want to. I don't care, it's what real golf is about.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:41:18 PM by Steve Okula »
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 02:03:46 PM »
I realize it puts me in the radical fringe of superintendents, but I am unconvinced that metal spikes are necessarily deterimental to putting surfaces. I have been greenkeeping since the '70's, before soft spikes came in, and I have yet to see any difference in putting surfaces due to type of shoe spikes.

I would be very surprised if you were correct.  I remember a lot of spike marks back in the day.  We used to spend some time fixing them around the hole after putting out. 

Pat Burke

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 02:13:16 PM »
When growing up, the only time we saw bad spike marks was when someone
got new shoes, or new spikes put in.  There would be tracks somewhere around
the hole.  Usual comment was "someone has new spikes.
At some point, manufacturers came out with carbide tips for the spikes so they
wouldn't wear out.  It also created a lot more problem with spike marks as they didn't
wear out.
When I played, I had far better traction with the old spikes, but really did not want to be
leaving ridiculous spike marks everywhere.  Reebok offered us 1/2 length spikes, that worked
perfectly.  I had great traction, and did not leave any spike marks.  Never understood why
we didn't at least require 1/2 length spikes in tournaments.
Now, carpeting and wooden steps, they did not help

Jim Sherma

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 02:26:35 PM »
Being old enough to have lived through the transition I think a lot of the spike mark issue really became a function of green speeds and how the greens are top dressed and maintained. Growing up I remember playing many old push-up poa greens that had deep root bases and very few spike mark issues metal or no. As more and more greens were given a sandier top surface it appeared to me that spike marks became much more of an issue as the root bases appeared to me to be less and less deep.

The worst situation in my opinion are really sandy based greens with shallow root bases that are kept fairly moist. The soft spikes just cut them up and if your not out real early in the day they just get worse and worse. - Clarification - I don't mean sandy based like links courses, I mean greens that have very sandy top layers from top dressing or being constructed as such.

I will also say that the only guilt I have ever felt on greens have been with fresh sets of black widow spikes and seeing what they do to the greens. Even trying to be careful I always felt like I was cutting up the greens. I have a set of footjoy contour casuals that leave non-firm greens looking like a waffle, I'm not sure how I feel about that either.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:28:18 PM by Jim Sherma »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 02:55:25 PM »
Steve,

as a green keeper and a golf pro who has played and worked through the transition. I firmly believe that on cool season swards metal spikes do no more harm than soft and playing wise offer a much better grip.

Chris,

I miss the sound of metal on concrete which as you say is cool.

Jon

Steve Salmen

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 03:33:56 PM »
I can't remember exactly the year, 09 I think. I went to a golf shop in St. Andrews to buy spikes and the man behind the counter asked if I wanted metal. Can anyone confirm if metal is allowed at TOC?

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »
Steve,

as a green keeper and a golf pro who has played and worked through the transition. I firmly believe that on cool season swards metal spikes do no more harm than soft and playing wise offer a much better grip.

Chris,

I miss the sound of metal on concrete which as you say is cool.

Jon

I never noticed spike marks from metal like the ones my Adipures leave.
I find myself walking backwards off the green tapping down my tracks.
great shoes(super light and supportive)-abysmal bottoms-am in the market for something more green friendly.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

SL_Solow

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 07:12:07 PM »
Metal spikes serving to aerate greens?  I haven't heard that one in several years.  I can't speak for all areas of tis country much less other continents but I work extensively with supers in the greater Chicago area and it is unanimous that soft spikes are a vast improvement over metal in all respects.

C. Squier

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »
I recently played at Champions and wore a pair of Footjoy Classics that had metals in them for old time's sake.

Anyone who doesn't believe that metals are worse for greens has an awful memory. They truly do beat them up, even when walking as carefully as possible. Glad I did it, now they'll sit in my garage for the next 20 years until I get the bug again.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 08:27:15 PM »
I agree with Clint.  I remember being flustered by spike marks at least once per nine.  Now it seldom happens once a round.  I think greens putt a lot better with the change over to plastic.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 05:39:57 PM »
Back in the day when I played in a group at Dubsdread on Saturday morning, we'd often go back out after lunch and a few beers for a second go around (pre-$155 greens fee!). The greens in the afternoon looked like minefields compared to our 8:30 tee times. The difference for a high volume course between metal and plastic (or in the case of the Trues, none) is night and day.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 08:49:54 PM »
:D
Yes, you can still get the real things.  Had my old FJ Classics re-soled and as the shoe guy was not up on the latest in "spike" technology, he put the old phillips spikes in  ;)  I hit balls in them and it is a huge difference.  The sound on the concrete is cool too!

I walked ouit on one of my greens and it is hard to beleive we actually wore these things--it was brutal!

Chris,  did you have those re-soled locally?  Looks like he did a great job.  I've used Larossa in Weymouth, MA for some Classics and have been very impressed with their work.   

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 07:08:17 PM »
My head greenkeeper has opined that he thought metal spikes weren't nearly as bad for greens as people generally thought.  He also said that softspikes can cause damage. especially in hot, wet weather where organic subsurface matter can swell (often seen in the later part of summer).

(FWIW, the course record at our place was set by an AGJA player from NC playing in sneakers!)

Jeff Schley

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 05:57:00 AM »
Looked this thread up as we are going to have a turn back the clock tourney for 9 holes with pre 1990's clubs and they are debating on if metal spikes can be worn.  Some guys still have them and wanted to see what the consensus was, although it was as I suspected.  Although 1 day and only about 20 or so players will wear them if that.

BTW on our sand courses here you can't wear ANY spikes, only flat bottomed shoes please.  ;D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John McCarthy

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 01:00:18 PM »
Jeff: You had to walk differently with metal.  A careless drag of the foot could do a lot of damage to a soft green.  I bet the muscle memory has been lost over the years. 

But the sound was so wonderful.  I will always remember my first pair, purchased three sizes too big so I would grow into them. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 01:21:19 PM »
Our pro actively encourages members to change to metal spikes in the winter.

In the spring he sells us all a new set of cleats.

He's a great bloke and an even better businessman!

Dave McCollum

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 04:51:55 PM »
It seems to me that it’s all about the golfer.  Even with soft spikes, it’s quite obvious when you are following a “shuffler” who does not pick up his feet and leaves his trail around every hole.  When I see this, I always want to borrow a cart and go ahead, find the culprit, and teach him how to walk.  I’ve never done this, of course, because I’m certain I’d find some old guy that has been supporting our course for 30+ years and is really unaware of what he’s doing or unable walk any other way.  I rant “can’t he see what he’s doing?”  yet know that he obviously can’t.  I think it is rather like getting on somebody’s case for slow play.  Nobody thinks they’re slow.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back