News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lance Rieber

Family Course by Tom Fazio
« on: November 13, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »
I know most on here have played everywhere and probably come across this course but I have a scorecard that has "family course" and a Fazio logo.  Any idea where this is.  It's logo looks like a winding creek with a flag.  We are opening a new 9 hole Challenge course next May and would like to pick the brains of others with similar facilities.  Thanks
Lance

Mike Hamilton

Re: Family Course by Tom Fazio
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 07:15:57 PM »
There is a nine hole Fazio short course at Independence Golf Club in Midlothian, VA that I have played countless times with my two sons.  $18 for an adult ...$1 each for your kids.  Holes range from 90 to about 180.  Probably not a GCA masterpiece but has been a great for us.

Also probably not the course you mentioned because I do not recall the logo.

Joe Jemsek

Re: Family Course by Tom Fazio
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 10:06:27 AM »
FYI the Independence Golf Club and it's family course was just sold by the VA State Golf Assoc. I presume it was not operating with positive cash flow and as a non-profit they couldn't risk or afford to keep a course which would siphon money away from their core mission.

http://www.clubandresortbusiness.com/2013/10/08/pros-inc-buys-independence-gc/

I have seen(built) several of these types of facilities around the country and not sure why we need dedicated beginner courses since most courses have excess capacity. I would encourage the club to create lots of programing to ensure usage. You will need to market the course beyond families and beginners. On course practice sessions, playing lessons with pro, dedicated tournaments, prime time leagues, and youth education can all help to fill the void. In my experience, successful adult programs need to move beyond the practice range and should be based around social golf and not necessarily real education.

Have clubs, will travel

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back