News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Re: Best courses in your city
« Reply #275 on: August 17, 2017, 09:00:47 AM »

Detroit area/Ann Arbor updated

1.   Orchard Lake      8.5
2.   Franklin Hills        8.1
3.   Meadowbrook     7.8
4.   UofM                    6.9
5.   Indianwood old   6.8
6.   Oakland Hills S    6.7
7.   Bloomfield Hills    6.6
8.   CC of Detroit         6.4   
9.   Barton Hills          6
10. Birmingham          6
11. Grosse Ile           5.7
12. Radrick Farms    5.6

(haven't played DGC)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:53:17 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

BHoover

« Reply #276 on: August 17, 2017, 09:01:45 AM »
Don't know. We moved this summer and I haven't played golf since we moved.

PCCraig

« Reply #277 on: August 17, 2017, 11:23:11 AM »
I just looked back to my Twin Cities list from 2013 and it still stands up. I might flip Oak Ridge (#6) and Hazeltine (#8) after playing Hazeltine back in June as I think it's been greatly improved under Chris Tritabaugh's tenure. Lots of trees removed, way (!) better turf conditions (firm & fast), better overall aesthetics.

As of 2017:

1.   White Bear Yacht Club (Ross)
2.   Interlachen (Watson / Ross)
3.   Minikahda (Watson / Ross)
4.   Town & Country (Ben Schurmeier)
5.   Golden Valley (AWT)
6.   Hazeltine (RTJ)
7.   Windsong Farm (Lehman)
8.   Midland Hills (Raynor)
9.   Oak Ridge (William Clark)
10.   Minneapolis (Park/Ross)
11.   Spring Hill (Fazio)
12.   Somerset (Raynor)
13.   Edina (Bendelow / Lehman)
14.   Keller (Paul Coates)
15.   Wayzata (Harris)
16.   North Oaks (Stanley Thomson)
17.   Stone Ridge (Bobby Weed)
18.   Minnesota Valley (Raynor)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:36:07 PM by PCCraig »
H.P.S.

Paul Jones

« Reply #278 on: August 17, 2017, 11:35:56 AM »
Since we only have 3 courses in Lafayette, this is an easy task...

Oakbourne CC
The Wetlands

Le Triomphe is the 2nd best in the area, but it is actually located in Broussard.

Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #279 on: August 17, 2017, 05:44:50 PM »
The Vail, CO area is hardly a "metro area" but here goes:

1)  Red Sky (Norman Course), Greg Norman
2)  Cordillera (Valley), Tom Fazio
3)  Sonnenalp, Jay Morrish
4)  Red Sky (Fazio Course), Tom Fazio
5)  Country Club of the Rockies, Jack Nicklaus
6)  Eagle Ranch, Arnold Palmer
7)  Gypsum Creek, Pete Dye
8)  Vail Golf Club, Ben Kreuger
9)  Beaver Creek, RTJ
10) Eagle-Vail, Devlin/Von Hagge

I left out a few that I haven't played in forever, or haven't gotten out on, or have only partially played.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:04:18 PM by Tom Bacsanyi »
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

DFarron

« Reply #280 on: August 17, 2017, 07:30:12 PM »
Metro San Francisco (in order)

1. Cal Club
2. Menlo
3. SFGC
4. Olympic Club Lake Course
5. Meadow Club

Just my opinion

Nigel Islam

« Reply #281 on: August 17, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »

1. Cal Club
2. Menlo
3. SFGC
5. Meadow Club

Just my opinion

Hmm, Menlo is that good? Meadow Club makes for a solid 5th course!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #282 on: August 17, 2017, 07:47:17 PM »

1. Cal Club
2. Menlo
3. SFGC
5. Meadow Club

Just my opinion
Menlo? Why so high? No Lake Merced? Peninsula? Stanford? Sharon Heights?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

DFarron

« Reply #283 on: August 17, 2017, 08:45:31 PM »

1. Cal Club
2. Menlo
3. SFGC
5. Meadow Club

Just my opinion
Menlo? Why so high? No Lake Merced? Peninsula? Stanford? Sharon Heights?

Menlo very much like Cal Club only a bit shorter. A great diversity of holes (long 3's, short 3's etc), beautiful views, a reasonably easy walk. Golf as it was intended to be...

Peninsula's holes can be a little repetitive (great views there though), I also like Lake Merced, Stanford and The Presidio, but I like Menlo even better than SFGC....

Tim Martin

« Reply #284 on: October 02, 2019, 07:26:54 AM »
Buffalo, NY (stretching east to Batavia)

1. CC Buffalo
2. Crag Burn
3. Park Club
4. Stafford
5. Cherry Hill (Ontario...about 8 miles from Buffalo center)
6. Lancaster
7. Seneca Hickory Stick
8. Brookfield
9. Springville
10. Niagara Frontier

I recently got a chance to play Country Club of Buffalo and have to say that it would be the best course in an awful lot of cities big and small. A compelling set of holes with no letdown and a particular nod to 6 and 11 incorporating the quarry. The mix of greens at grade and elevated offer a wonderfully diverse collection asking for a variety of approaches and the par three holes as a set are five star. Lots of fairway width make driving the ball fun and I was able to bounce in a couple of fairway woods due to very firm approaches. Not unlike Glens Falls every Ross lover should beg, borrow and steal for a trip around CC of Buffalo. Finally if you add a stop at Niagara Falls and Ted’s to eat you have a die and go to heaven day. Make sure you get the hot chili sauce on your dogs!!!!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #285 on: October 02, 2019, 11:21:53 AM »
I'll toss in a revised Personal Top Ten in Chicagoland. 
1.  Shoreacres
2.  Chicago Golf Club
3.  Olympia Fields North
4.  Medinah #3
5.  Beverly
6.  Skokie
7.  Knollwood
8.  Old Elm
9.  Flossmoor
10.Bob O'Link

Honorable Mentions: Exmoor, Olympia Fields South, Onwentsia, Medinah #1, Edgewood Valley.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #286 on: October 02, 2019, 01:46:15 PM »

For the greater Vancouver, B.C. area:

1. Capilano - The only Stanley Thompson in this area
2. Shaughnessy -see below - the last Macan course and likely his best.
3. Point Grey GCC - still a fine course, some changes underway with an architect from Alberta
4. Marine Drive GCC - Macan again, excellent course built on a
5. Vancouver GC - which is not in Vancouver, but the suburb of Coquitlam
6. Northview GC (Ridge course) located in Surrey, former host of the Air Canada Championshp
7. Fraserview GC - A muni in the City
8. University GC - UBC
9. Morgan Creek - Surrey
10. Seymour GCC - North Vancouver, semi-private

The first 5 on this list are all private. Shaughnessy's lease lapses in 2033 and the Musqueam First Nations Band have been clear that they will develop the property. There are some rumours that a deal may be in the works for Shaughnessy to take over the University GC but that would be unlikely.

Others,

Richmond GC (private), McCleery GC (Muni in Vancouver), Northview (Canal Course), Peace Portal (public - at the border crossing), King's Links (in Delta) are all in the next ten.

Bob J

Garland Bayley

« Reply #287 on: October 02, 2019, 10:45:55 PM »
lo

For the greater Vancouver, B.C. area:

1. Capilano - The only Stanley Thompson in this area
2. Shaughnessy -see below - the last Macan course and likely his best.
3. Point Grey GCC - still a fine course, some changes underway with an architect from Alberta
Riste says Macan consulted on their course. Pro shop told me it was a Macan course when I was there. Curious as to who is working there now.
4. Marine Drive GCC - Macan again, excellent course built on a
5. Vancouver GC - which is not in Vancouver, but the suburb of Coquitlam
Macan
6. Northview GC (Ridge course) located in Surrey, former host of the Air Canada Championshp
7. Fraserview GC - A muni in the City
Macan
8. University GC - UBC
Macan
9. Morgan Creek - Surrey
10. Seymour GCC - North Vancouver, semi-private

The first 5 on this list are all private. Shaughnessy's lease lapses in 2033 and the Musqueam First Nations Band have been clear that they will develop the property. There are some rumours that a deal may be in the works for Shaughnessy to take over the University GC but that would be unlikely.

Others,

Richmond GC (private)Macan, McCleery GC (Muni in Vancouver)Macan, but vastly changed by a remodel, Northview (Canal Course), Peace Portal (public - at the border crossing)Macan greens and bunkers, King's Links (in Delta) are all in the next ten.

Bob J
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Sherma

« Reply #288 on: October 03, 2019, 12:24:06 PM »
Refreshing a post I made in 2013 - Here is a refreshed stab at the Harrisburg/Susquehanna Valley area:

These courses I would strongly recommend to someone coming into the area for a trip:

1: Hershey West - Good scale and lots of character - could use better presentation but what's on the ground is very good
2: CC of York - Classic Ross parkland - great club and presentation - would not argue too hard about having this as #1
3: West Shore CC - I have a lot of time for this course -  a lot of old timey touches and a great day out
4: Hershey East - Meaty George Fazio - very tough set of elevated crowned greens - not to everyone's taste but the real deal
5: Lebanan CC - Classic Alec Findlay - front 9 on some so-so land but back 9 is special

The second set are courses that I have time for but would not send someone out of their way for

6: Colonial CC - Arthur Hills re-do of a William and David Gordon layout - Well done and I really need to get back out here again
7: Dauphin Highlands - Modern public done by Bill Love - A lot of good golf with good scale on good terrain - A poor run from 16-18 is always a disappointing end to an otherwise strong day out and keeps it from the upper tier
8: Harrisburg CC - Originally laid out by Flynn - some funky stuff and a lot of blind/semi-blindness and uneven lies I go back and forth with Harrisburg - I like the funkiness but one rebuilt hole is very out of character and there are a few blah holes

The last two are courses that have merit and I could easily see someone making a strong case for one of these being in the second if not the top tier of my rankings. Neither do much for me stylistically however.

9: Iron Valley - PB Dye course with both 9's very different in style - not my favorite but some strong golf in spots offset by some head scratching stuff - A lot of uncomfortable shots where I have a tough time being confident in my hitting line
10: Royal Manchester - Public course in York - good modern lay out with a lot of lost-ball gunch defining the corridors - It's been a while since I've been here and if they widened the corridors to help pace of play I could see this moving up my rankings to the next tier

All in all not many changes from where I stood in 2013. Other courses of some interest are:

The Outdoor Country Club of York - Other than being a candidate for the most unwieldy name in golf that does not include the word "at" - About as boring a piece of land as you could choose to build a course on - originally an Ault/Clark layout with some modern re-work - all in all a nice enough club and a nice day out, but nothing to strongly recommend it

Regent's Glen - Arthur Hills - most of the back 9 wends through housing on more difficult land with an end result that is less than satisfying in my opinion - However, 1-10 and 17-18 are on a contiguous piece of land and has some solid golf

There has been some lost clubs over the recent past - Hershey Links (originally known as Wren Dale) and Blue Ridge CC being the most highly regarded. I still mournfully miss Hershey Parkview.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 12:28:04 PM by Jim Sherma »

Tim Martin

« Reply #289 on: October 03, 2019, 01:13:30 PM »
Refreshing a post I made in 2013 - Here is a refreshed stab at the Harrisburg/Susquehanna Valley area:

These courses I would strongly recommend to someone coming into the area for a trip:

1: Hershey West - Good scale and lots of character - could use better presentation but what's on the ground is very good
2: CC of York - Classic Ross parkland - great club and presentation - would not argue too hard about having this as #1
3: West Shore CC - I have a lot of time for this course -  a lot of old timey touches and a great day out
4: Hershey East - Meaty George Fazio - very tough set of elevated crowned greens - not to everyone's taste but the real deal
5: Lebanan CC - Classic Alec Findlay - front 9 on some so-so land but back 9 is special

The second set are courses that I have time for but would not send someone out of their way for

6: Colonial CC - Arthur Hills re-do of a William and David Gordon layout - Well done and I really need to get back out here again
7: Dauphin Highlands - Modern public done by Bill Love - A lot of good golf with good scale on good terrain - A poor run from 16-18 is always a disappointing end to an otherwise strong day out and keeps it from the upper tier
8: Harrisburg CC - Originally laid out by Flynn - some funky stuff and a lot of blind/semi-blindness and uneven lies I go back and forth with Harrisburg - I like the funkiness but one rebuilt hole is very out of character and there are a few blah holes

The last two are courses that have merit and I could easily see someone making a strong case for one of these being in the second if not the top tier of my rankings. Neither do much for me stylistically however.

9: Iron Valley - PB Dye course with both 9's very different in style - not my favorite but some strong golf in spots offset by some head scratching stuff - A lot of uncomfortable shots where I have a tough time being confident in my hitting line
10: Royal Manchester - Public course in York - good modern lay out with a lot of lost-ball gunch defining the corridors - It's been a while since I've been here and if they widened the corridors to help pace of play I could see this moving up my rankings to the next tier

All in all not many changes from where I stood in 2013. Other courses of some interest are:

The Outdoor Country Club of York - Other than being a candidate for the most unwieldy name in golf that does not include the word "at" - About as boring a piece of land as you could choose to build a course on - originally an Ault/Clark layout with some modern re-work - all in all a nice enough club and a nice day out, but nothing to strongly recommend it

Regent's Glen - Arthur Hills - most of the back 9 wends through housing on more difficult land with an end result that is less than satisfying in my opinion - However, 1-10 and 17-18 are on a contiguous piece of land and has some solid golf

There has been some lost clubs over the recent past - Hershey Links (originally known as Wren Dale) and Blue Ridge CC being the most highly regarded. I still mournfully miss Hershey Parkview.

Jimmy-That was a great day at CC of York a few years ago as a result of a fine Donald Ross golf course and playing partners. Listening to Mike Malone opine about the golf course and other interesting subject matter on the way back to Philadelphia was a treat. Really cool old clubhouse as well.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #290 on: October 03, 2019, 01:19:33 PM »

Jimmy-That was a great day at CC of York a few years ago as a result of a fine Donald Ross golf course and playing partners. Listening to Mike Malone opine about the golf course and other interesting subject matter on the way back to Philadelphia was a treat. Really cool old clubhouse as well.

Tim - That was a good time. Reminds me that I need to have some GCA guys out next year. Along with York, West Shore is a great day out and I'm not sure how many guys ever get around to it.

Tim Martin

« Reply #291 on: October 03, 2019, 01:25:17 PM »

Tim - That was a good time. Reminds me that I need to have some GCA guys out next year. Along with York, West Shore is a great day out and I'm not sure how many guys ever get around to it.

Jimmy is a fine player and it was fun to watch him plot his way around. I would like to come back and at least see Hershey and West Shore.

Ben Malach

« Reply #292 on: October 03, 2019, 06:39:36 PM »
Garland:

The architects at Point Grey are Riley Johns and Kieth Rhebb. The plans they are working from seem super cool but as with anything lets hope the ideas translate into the ground. 
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

archie_struthers

« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2019, 12:13:22 AM »
 ??? 8) ???

don't live in a city but so will use the Philadelphia area to the Jersey Shore (south) as my home base

Pine Valley
Merion
Galloway National
Rolling Green
Philly Cricket   {Wissahickon}
Saucon Valley {Weyhill}
Lehigh
Lancaster CC
Huntingdon Valley
Philadelphia CC
Stonewall (old)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 12:18:27 AM by archie_struthers »

JMEvensky

« Reply #294 on: October 04, 2019, 06:13:28 AM »
??? 8) ???

don't live in a city but so will use the Philadelphia area to the Jersey Shore (south) as my home base

Pine Valley
Merion
Galloway National
Rolling Green
Philly Cricket   {Wissahickon}
Saucon Valley {Weyhill}
Lehigh
Lancaster CC
Huntingdon Valley
Philadelphia CC
Stonewall (old)

Calling The Lurker now to alert him of a conspicuous absence. ::)

archie_struthers

« Reply #295 on: October 04, 2019, 07:43:03 AM »
 8)

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #296 on: May 11, 2020, 05:37:10 PM »
Bumping this thread.

Vail Valley, CO

1) Frost Creek (Weiskopf)
2) Red Sky (Norman)
3) Country Club of the Rockies (Nicklaus)
4) Cordillera Valley (Fazio)
5) Eagle Ranch (Palmer)
6) Red Sky (Fazio)
7) Vail Golf Club

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Mark Mammel

« Reply #297 on: May 11, 2020, 06:46:26 PM »
First list I'll throw in my 2c for the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area. All courses are walking layouts, a key feature for me. Great place to play golf for sure.

1. White Bear Yacht Club (Watson/Ross)
2. Golden Valley CC (Tillinghast)
3. Minikahda Club (Watson/Ross)
4. Woodhill CC (Ross)
5. Somerset (Raynor)
6. Midland Hills (Raynor)
7. Town & Country (Schurmeier)
8. Les Bolstad/U of M (Tom Vardon)
9. Windsong Farm (Lehman)
10. Hazeltine (Trent Jones)

I also live in Carmel. So here's that list, also only courses that allow walking (and are walkable!).

1. Cypress Point GC (Mackenzie)
2. Pebble Beach (Neville/Grant)
3. MPCC- Shore (Strantz)
4. MPCC- Dunes (Raynor/Fazio/Jackson/Kahn)
5. Spanish Bay (Trent Jones Jr/Watson/Tatum)
6. Spyglass Hill (Trent Jones Sr)
7. Quail Lodge (Graves/Eckenrode)
8. Poppy Hills (Trent Jones Jr)
9. Black Horse (Gray/Bates)
10. Pacific Grove Municipal (front 9- Egan; back 9(!)- Neville)
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Tim Rooney

« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2020, 06:10:03 PM »
The following is my Rating opinion of my home town (Columbus) courses:
Muirfield Village (Nicklaus)
Tie Scioto (Ross/D Wilson)
      The Golf Club (P Dye)
Scarlet (Mackenzie/Maxwell/Nicklaus)
Wedgewood (Tent Jones,II)
Double Eagle (Weiskoph/Morrish)
Brookside (C Lorms)
Pinnacle (L Wadkins)
Tartan Fields (Palmer)
New Albany (Nicklaus)

mike_malone

« Reply #299 on: May 22, 2020, 06:07:27 PM »
15 minutes or so from the Media Courthouse in Delaware County Pa. in no order are these 10

Concord( traffic dependent)
 Glen Mills
 Paxon Hollow
 Aronimink
 Rolling Green
 Merion(2)
 Llanerch
 Springhaven
 Springfield
 CLAYTON PARK

AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back