News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall Hay

Re: Best courses in your city
« Reply #250 on: January 08, 2014, 12:57:13 PM »
Metro Detroit/Ann Arbor/Toledo

My best estimate below. I haven't played them all. Looking strong after recent renovations.

Franklin Hills
Oakland Hills (South)
Orchard Lake
Inverness
Indianwood (Old)
Barton Hills

CC of Detroit
U of M
Grosse Ile
Radrick Farms
Red Run
Essex
Warwick Hills CC
Sylvania CC
Dearborn CC
Detroit GC
Plum Hollow
Oakland Hills (North)
Bloomfield
Birmingham

R&S Sharf
TPC Dearborn
Wyndgate
Rackham

This is pretty good, though it you did a Metro Detroit list as many of us would define your top 5 would be pretty good.

Top 5

Franklin Hills
Oakland Hills (South)
Orchard Lake
Indianwood (Old)
CC of Detroit

Though many would argue the order of the top 3. This website absolutely adores FHCC.  The overall top 5 are pretty good. CCD maybe on the edge.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #251 on: January 08, 2014, 01:22:13 PM »
Denver, CO

1) Castle Pines Golf Club
2)  Cherry Hills
3) Colorado Golf Club
4) Sanctuary
5) Common Ground
6) Ravenna
7) Denver Country Club
8 ) Riverdale Dunes
9) Castle Pines Country Club
10) Murphy Creek

Wow! Not many guys from Denver here. To be honest I am surprised by the top of your list here. Granted, I have not played Castle Pines Golf Club, but there is no way that it is above CGC. Here is how my top 5 would look keeping in mind that I haven't played CPGC.

Denver

1. Colorado Golf Club
2. Cherry Hills
3. Castle Pines GC
4. Ravenna
5. CommonGround

I guess I'm surprised at both the above lists, primarliy because of the inclusion of Ravenna at #6 and #4 and Sanctuary in the top 5. Both are really "pretty" and amazing engineer feats but are they among the top 10 best golf courses in Denver? I don't think so. My list is as follows:

1) Cherry Hills
2) Castle Pines Golf Club
3) Colorado Golf Club
4) Denver Country Club
5) CommonGround
6) Castle Pines Country Club
7) Riverdale Dunes
8) Pradera
9) Lakewood Country Club
10) (Tie) Murphy Creek or Green Valley Ranch

Doug,

I think that is a good list and I can't argue much with Cherry Hills as #1, but I personally prefered CGC over it by a good margin. My list is rather incomplete (thus my stopping at 5) since I haven't seen a ton of courses in the Denver area. For example, on your list I haven't seen #2 CPGC, #4 DCC, #6 CPCC, #8 Pradera, #9 LCC, or both your 10s. I have seen Riverdale Dunes and although I quite liked half of it quite a bit, the other half would cause it to be put solidly behind Ravenna for me.

1. Colorado Golf Club
2. Denver
3. Cherry Hills
4. Common Ground
5. Castle Pines CC
6. Castle Pines GC
7. Heritage at Westmoor
8. Riverdale Dunes
9. Pinehurst
10. Lakewood

Michael George

« Reply #252 on: January 08, 2014, 02:08:41 PM »
Northeast Ohio is a pretty small area (you can get anywhere within 45 minutes), so I am including the region:

1a.  Brookside CC (Canton) - great golf course; best greens in Ohio and it is not that close.  
1b.  Country Club (PP) - great routing and walk; great locker room; best total experience, 
3.  Kirtland - close to 1 and 2;  back 9 is great, but some holes on front may be best on course (2 & 9)
4.  Canterbury - great start and great finish.  Some average holes in the middle put at 4, but its best is great
5.  Firestone South - boring routing, but the individual holes are good
6.  Sharon - nice place for casual golf
7.  Firestone North - its best is better than the South, but not enough of it
8.  Fowlers Mill - if it had more money, it could be in the top 5.  GREAT bones.  Dye's most underrated course.
9.  Sand Ridge - solid but  maintenance is too tough for average golfer (US Open rough)
10.  Congress Lake - some good holes on this Ross course, especially 15-17.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:58:10 AM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Michael George

« Reply #253 on: January 08, 2014, 02:12:49 PM »
Re: the Columbus posts:

I like Muirfield Village the best, but understand why higher handicaps don't enjoy it.  It is played in the air and requires precise iron play and great bunker play.  A very tough golf course especially if you are not a good iron player.  

The Golf Club and Scioto are clearly above the others. If you enjoy playability, The Golf Club is likely your favorite.  If you like old courses with great clubhouses, Scioto is likely the favorite.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:58:38 AM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Billsteele

« Reply #254 on: January 08, 2014, 02:23:18 PM »
Michael-I really would like to see you do a photo tour of Sharon some time. I have heard positive things but have not made the effort to get there. When it comes to Firestone, I always think the North is more enjoyable, the South is a stronger test of golf (long and hard are the two words that come to mind). As far as Canterbury, I think the last four holes are tremendous (somehow, 15 gets left out of the discussion and I think it is one of the better holes on the course).

By the way, Brookside is in Canton. There is nothing in North Canton any more.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #255 on: January 08, 2014, 02:24:41 PM »
Re: the Columbus posts:

I like Muirfield Village the best, but understand why higher handicaps don't enjoy it.  It is played in the air and requires precise iron play and great bunker play.  A very tough golf course especially if you are not a good iron player.  

The Golf Club and Scioto are clearly above the others. If you enjoy playability, The Golf Club is likely your favorite.  If you like old courses with great clubhouses, Scioto is likely the favorite.

As Andy said, Double Eagle is unbelievably maintained, but I actually like Brookside and Wedgewood better.

How much Ross is left at Scioto? 

Michael George

« Reply #256 on: January 08, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »
Bill - go to dimpledrock.com.  They have a photo tour of Sharon (and other courses) that are better than anything I can take.  

The best thing about Sharon is actually not the golf.  It is the culture of the club.  No outings.  No events other than a 2 day Member-Member and a 2 day Club Championship.  No tee times.  Golf when you want it.  A grille room, locker room and pro shop - nothing else.  Just a great place.

Wayne - the routing is still the same.  Not sure how much else.  I think the bunkering is clearly Nicklaus, especially around the greens.  Scioto very much feels like Oakland Hills in terms of how much Ross is left (ie. you can see the difference between Ross and the changes).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:59:23 AM by Michael George »

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #257 on: January 08, 2014, 03:07:26 PM »
Does the Mornington Peninsula south of Melbourne count as a city? If so -

St. Andrews Beach
The National (Moonah)
The National (Old)
Portsea
The Dunes
The National (Ocean)
Sorrento
Moonah Links (Legends)
RACV Cape Schanck
Flinders
Moonah Links (Open)
Eagle Ridge
Rosebud Country Club (North)
Rosebud Country Club (South)
Rosebud Public

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

BHoover

« Reply #258 on: January 08, 2014, 03:33:34 PM »
Northeast Ohio is a pretty small area (you can get anywhere within 45 minutes), so I am including the region:

1.  Country Club (PP) - when you include the walk and the locker room, it slightly nudges ahead of Brookside.
2.  Brookside CC (North Canton) - best greens in Ohio and it is not that close.  
3.  Kirtland - close to 1 and 2 as it is really enjoyable (the top 3 are as good as anywhere in Ohio)
4.  Canterbury - incredible start and finish
5.  Firestone South - boring routing, but the individual holes are good
6.  Sharon - great par 3's and nice place for casual golf
7.  Firestone North - its best is better than the South, but not enough of it
8.  Fowlers Mill - if it had more money, it could be in the top 5.  GREAT bones.  Dye's most underrated course.
9.  Sand Ridge - good course that would be better if rough not maintained for a US Open every day
10.  Congress Lake - some good holes on this Ross course, especially 15-17.

Good list, Michael.  I think that NE Ohio gets overlooked compared to Columbus, but I think it has more great-to-good courses than Columbus, which gets most of the press when it comes to golf in Ohio.  My favorites are Brookside, Kirtland and Canterbury, so if you think that Country is better then I'm looking forward to the day that I get to play Country.  How does Country compare to the Pepper Pike Club (which has to be one of the most under-the-radar clubs in the state)?

I'm a big fan of Congress, and also a fan of Mayfield.  Both courses have some good holes and lots of quirky features, which can be a good thing.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:56:36 PM by Brian Hoover »

BCowan

« Reply #259 on: January 08, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
What about Shaker?  I hear that is a Gem

George

I am pretty sure JN was turned down to do any work at Scioto.  Dick Wilson did the renovation a while back and Hurzdan i believe recently
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:40:23 PM by BCowan »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #260 on: January 08, 2014, 03:49:33 PM »
This is straight from Scioto's website...

The golf course underwent a renovation under the guidance of Dick Wilson in the early 1960’s and a most recent renovation in 2008 under the watchful eyes of Jack Nicklaus and Dr. Michael Hurdzan, yet still preserves the original Ross routing and design.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

BCowan

« Reply #261 on: January 08, 2014, 03:51:39 PM »
Thanks Mac, I haven't been there since 02'

Douglas Kelley

« Reply #262 on: January 08, 2014, 04:06:19 PM »
Columbus

1. OSU Scarlet
2. Scioto
3. Double Eagle
4. Muirfield Village

haven't played the Golf Club or Brookside yet, but i am sure i would put them in front of Muirfield Village.

Better than MV? The Golf Club - yes. Brookside - no way (and I say that as on who loves playing Brookside).

Spot on Brian.

More agreement here.  I'd struggle to put Scarlet or Brookside in the same tier as MVGC, despite its flaws

I grew up playing at Brookside but haven't seen the course in 15-20 years.  Is it still choked with trees?  

BHoover

« Reply #263 on: January 08, 2014, 04:08:31 PM »
More agreement here.  I'd struggle to put Scarlet or Brookside in the same tier as MVGC, despite its flaws

I grew up playing at Brookside but haven't seen the course in 15-20 years.  Is it still choked with trees?  

Unfortunately, Columbus Brookside still has too many trees.  But the good news is that the super, and the greens committee chairman (GCA's own Dave Royer!), are working on thinning out the trees.  The emerald ash borer has certainly played a part in that too.  Even more exciting is the potential for a master plan, which, if adopted, may result in further tree removal!

Eventually, I believe the hope is that Columbus Brookside will look more like Canton Brookside (at least when it comes to trees).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:15:19 PM by Brian Hoover »

Ryan Coles

« Reply #264 on: January 08, 2014, 06:42:24 PM »
Bristol - quite a barren area in terms of quality courses. Most English cities have at least one or two stand out (ranked) courses, Birmingham Leeds, Nottingham etc, Bristol really doesn't.

1. Bristol & Clifton
2. Kendleshire (original 18)
3. Knowle
4. Long Ashton
5. Players Club (Newer Course)

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #265 on: January 08, 2014, 09:34:41 PM »
What about Shaker?  I hear that is a Gem

Ben,

I though Shaker Heights CC was fine with a few interesting holes, but not super special.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #266 on: February 13, 2014, 07:47:53 AM »
Montreal, Canada:

I haven't seen the new Adrew / Weir Course at Laval-sur-le-Lac (potentially top 3)

1) Mount Bruno
2) Royal Montreal - Red Course
3) Hillsdale - Laurentien
4) Beaconsfield
5) Kanawaki
6) Elm Ridge - South (haven't seen the other one)
7) Blainvillier Heritage
8) Vallee du Richelieu - Verchères
9) Royal Montreal - Blue
10) Le Boisé (that's a wild card)

All private except Le Boisé

Mac Plumart

« Reply #267 on: February 13, 2014, 04:18:27 PM »

Rivermont...if we are just judging the quality of the individual golf holes, Rivermont can hang with any course in Atlanta (and may win)

I agree.

Taking strictly the individual holes, of the three I played (Peachtree, Eastlake and Rivermont), Rivermont would win a hole by hole matchplay with the others.

Crazy, isn't that Brian?  The holes are simply a lot of fun.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Chris Pearson

« Reply #268 on: December 06, 2014, 08:20:38 AM »
Well, there's only one list for Austin so far, and it's full of private courses that you'll probably never get to play. In lieu of this, here are some Austin courses you can *actually* play, with geographical boundaries extending from Lakeway in the west, Georgetown in the North, Manor/Hwy 290 in the east (but not Bastrop), and Buda/Kyle in the south.

• The Hills - Signature * (Nicklaus)
  • Roy Kizer (Russell)
  • Falconhead (PGA Tour Design Center)
  • Morris Williams (Leon Howard)
  • Onion Creek (Demaret, C&C)
  • Avery Ranch
  • The Hills - Flintrock Falls * (Nicklaus/Nicklaus)
  • Bluebonnet Hill (Brauer)
  • Legacy Hills (Billy Casper)
  • Plum Creek (Bechtol)

* These courses are private, but if you tell them you are a prospective member, they'll set up outings for you on their two Nicklaus courses (and members will buy you drinks).

Of the courses above, I *really* like The Hills - Signature, Kizer, and Mo Willy. Bluebonnet is fun as well and has excellent greens and a back 9 draped over some interesting terrain.

Despite the beatings public courses often take on this site (and the fact that they're generally presumed to be inferior to private clubs) Kizer and Mo Willy are two of the best routings in Austin, period.

Kizer sits on flat, uninteresting terrain, but from an architectural standpoint, it's a gem. The front 9 features 3 excellent holes (3, 5, and 7), and the back is just a fun walk (with holes 11–15 being particularly notable). Kizer is, without question, the most enjoyable municipal course I have ever played (and its conditioning is reliable, too).

Mo Willy occupies some interesting, tumbling acreage just northeast of downtown Austin. Formerly the home of UT golf, the course received a much-needed rework from 2011 to 2013 and now boasts a 7000-yard layout with the most interesting green complexes you'll find on a public course in Austin. For me, holes 2, 3, 11, 13 (split fairways with a distinct, two-tiered green), 16 (with its subdued Biarritz), and 17 are the best the course has to offer, and the supporting cast of holes is generally pretty good. Bottom line: It's great to have easy access to both this course and Roy Kizer.

Germain Pepin

« Reply #269 on: December 06, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »
Quebec and around, Canada:

1) La Tempête
2) Royal Quebec - Royal Course
3) Cap-Rouge
4) Lévis
5) Lorette

Pete Garvey

« Reply #270 on: December 07, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
In Lexington, KY...........Hands down.............Idle Hour (1924 Ross)

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #271 on: December 07, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »
Atlanta:

Settindown Creek - The best test of golf in Atlanta in my opinion.  I would (and do) choose to play here over any course in Atlanta.

Peachtree - just a great setting and golf experience.

East Lake - ditto to above.

Rivermont - Just a fun course to play.

Cherokee CC North - Good course with enough challenge.

Capital City Brookhaven - A lot of people think it is too wide off the tee, but it is a fun course and good setting.

Atlanta Country Club - One of the best club feels in Atlanta.  I always feel like it is 1972 there forever.

Atlanta Athletic Club (Highlands) - Good test of golf, although borders on the ridiculous sometimes.

Berkeley Hills CC - The best greens in ATL with the best Friday afternoon game around.  Easily 24 guys throwing balls in the air and all are a 2 handicap or less.  Golf your ball or go broke.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #272 on: December 07, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »
The Buffalo-Niagara list below is 13 months old. I'm going to update it into two lists: public and private. "Best" has changed for me over this year, to incorporate more keeping people in the game, attracting new people, than challenging the 1% of 1% called touring professionals.

Buffalo, NY (stretching east to Batavia)

1. CC Buffalo
2. Crag Burn
3. Park Club
4. Stafford
5. Cherry Hill (Ontario...about 8 miles from Buffalo center)
6. Lancaster
7. Seneca Hickory Stick
8. Brookfield
9. Springville
10. Niagara Frontier

2014 Private-Buffalo-Niagara
1. Country Club of Buffalo
2. River Oaks Golf Club (cannot believe I didn't have this on my initial list.)
3. Crag Burn Golf Club
4. Park Club
5. Stafford Country Club
6. Cherry Hill Club
7. Lancaster Country Club
8. Brookfield Country Club (could rise higher if the restoration works out well.)
9. Springville Country Club
10. Niagara Frontier Country Club

2014-Public-Buffalo-Niagara
1. Arrowhead Golf Course
2. Seneca Hickory Stick Golf Course
3. Harvest Hill Golf Course
4. Byrncliff Resort
5. Links at Ivy Ridge
6. Diamond Hawk Golf Course
7. Sheridan Park Golf Course
8. Elma Meadows Golf Course
9. Ironwood Golf Course
10. Glen Oak Golf Course
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Adam Warren

« Reply #273 on: December 07, 2014, 07:44:26 PM »

Biased!   ;D

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #274 on: December 07, 2014, 11:57:48 PM »

I agree with Pete...Idle Hour no questions asked. Great track.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back