News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Tarble

Re: Best courses in your city
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
Perhaps it was my list in the other thread that started this one...but I'll list my favorites for Indianapolis:

1: Broadmoor
2: Crooked Stick
3:  Wolf Run (only one on the list I haven't played)
4:  Brickyard Crossing
5:  Trophy Club
6:  The Fort
7:  Purgatory
8:  Bear Slide
9:  Meridian Hills
10:  Heartland Crossing

You could probably interchange Broadmoor and Crooked Stick - Broadmoor having better greens, Crooked Stick having more interest off the tee - and you could probably have 4-7 in any of those spots really.  

If you wanna say Rock Hollow is Indianapolis (I wouldn't), I'd put it probably 7 or 8 on the list.

Sorry Josh, but it started when I was driving in Pittsburgh last week. I was just thinking how many very good courses were there that I had not even realized were that close together. I need to take you up on your offer to play Broadmoor in the near future. I used to drive by that course all the time when I lived in Indy.  

Anytime...just let me know when you're able to get up this way. 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2013, 02:01:24 PM »
Well, I don't feel like I live in "Metropolitan" Birmingham, but being 40 minutes by car from the centre would certainly qualify by Mercan standards.
First off, there is nothing great in greater Birmingham.
Little Aston
Edgbaston
Beau Desert
Blackwell
Sutton Coldfield (winter only)
Whittington Heath
Harborne
Belfry Brabazon
After the above seven its a bit of a mish mash. While in a city of its own, Worcester is 45 minutes from the centre of Brum and I think the next best. b]Enville[/b] probably comes next.
Ciao

This is a good solid listing. If the circle around Birmingham is extending as far as Fowlers wonderful Beau and Colts lovely Whittington then I'd be inclined to also include South Staffs, a first class and tough off the back tees 6.600 yard parkland always in great condition near Wolverhampton, plus three from just off the M42 - the perhaps over-manicured Copt Heath plus the very nice Frilford Heath and the seemingly ever immaculate Olton.

For great original MacKenzie green complexes head to Walsall. Shifnal receives good words too, although I've not been there and it may be just a bit too far away to count. Further west, quite a bit further west in fact, is Astbury Hall, the KK Downing of Judas Priest fame course famous for its outstandingly conditioning.

Not sure about the Belfry/Brabazon, been and seen and didn't like, plus a few folks who've played them both have told that the PGA National course at the Belfry complex is superior to the Brabazon.

Lots of good words are said about Sandwell Park, especially in the summer. There's also the Forest of Arden, where a European Tour event was played for several years plus, as mentioned above, the two very nice heathland 18's at Enville, with it's wonderful, by UK standards, practice areas.

As to what's 'great' in 'greater Birmingham', I've been told New Street Station is really, really great, that's because it's a quick way out of the place (sic)! Whooops, slip of the fingers, no slight intended!

All the best
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:15:26 PM by Thomas Dai »

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2013, 02:03:29 PM »
San Diego:

San Diego CC (Wille Watson)
Rancho Santa Fe CC (Max Behr)
Barona Creek (Todd Eckenrode)
La Jolla CC (Billy Bell Sr.)
Torrey Pines North (Billy Bell Jr.)
Torey Pines South (Rees Jones)
Corornado GC (Jack Daray)
Balboa GC (Billy Bell Sr.)
La Costa Champions (Dick Wilson)
The Grand (Tom Fazio)

note: I haven't played any of the second tier CC's in the Rancho Santa Fe area like The Farms, Del Mar CC or Fairbanks Ranch.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:03:23 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Ed Homsey

« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2013, 02:07:32 PM »
Rochester, NY (courses that are members of the Rochester District Golf ASsociation):

Oak Hill West

Monroe Golf Club (probably should be ranked #1)
Oak Hill East (knocked out of 1st place, for me, because of changes that have been made purely for the sake of maintaining the course as a venue for PGA/USGA majors)
Midvale  CC
Stafford CC (In response to question as to whether Stafford should be ranked ahead of Cherry Hill in Ron's Buffalo listing, I would give a resounding yes.  It's routing and terrain are vastly superior; but, lacking in the greens surfaces department.  For sake of transperancy, I have been a member of Stafford CC for 39 seasons, serving as Green Chairman in charge of developing and implementing golf course long range master plan.)
Country Club of Rochester (at one time, prior to the replacement of three terrific golf holes with a practice range and three replacement holes by Robert Trent Jones, CCR was, if not the top course in Rochester, certainly no lower than 3rd)
Cobblestone Creek  (An incredibly challenging course that makes you think on every shot, and just being on the green is not enough.)
Irondequoit CC  (Not wild about its routing, or the quirky terrain, but there are a few wonderful golf holes.)
Durand Eastman Golf Club (A muni course no longer worthy of this high a ranking because of amateurish/obscene changes to the course, for reasons that had nothing to do with worthiness of architecture; but in its original form, it was a gem.  Still fun to play, and remember those better times.)
Deerfield CC (North and South combination) (A semi-private course that fell on hard times, but interesting routing, large undulating 1960s greens, and a bear from the tips.)

Ron--Actually, there were 3 holes at Orchard Park that were removed by the Aults in 1993-94, the par-3 6th, par 4s 17 and 18, and replaced with the abominations that Ian is trying to improve.

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2013, 02:08:44 PM »
I haven't even played 10 courses in my current city I don't think, but I grew up playing and still play a ton of golf in Lexington.

1. Idle Hour

GAP

2. Champion Trace
3. Old Silo (a bit out of town)
4. Kearney Hill

GAP

5. Gibson Bay (a bit out of town)
6. Cherry Blossom (15 minutes up the interstate in Georgetown)
7. UK Club - Big Blue
8. Picadome (more interesting architecturally than anything else in this group)
9. UK Club - Wildcat

GAP

10. Houston Oaks (20 minutes east in Paris. The drive to the course from Lexington is my favorite drive in the state. The course itself is mundane)

Everything after the first two is public and can be played for less than $50 with a cart (they also are very affordable to walk, but Old Silo is a REALLY difficult walk). Including Old Silo and Gibson Bay might be a bit of a stretch, as they're 30 minutes or more from downtown. I'd rather make the drive to them than play anything closer though.

I haven't played the city's other privates. I suspect Lexington Country Club might slot into that second tier, but I'm not sure.

I am more familiar with the Lexington golf lists than Louisville, as I am still catching up on my courses since I moved here and just started back into the game last year.  However, the list is pretty spot on.  I haven't been to Idle Hour, but based on word of mouth I would certainly agree it likely tops the list.  Lex CC certainly fits in the list somewhere, probably at number 5 at the top of the third tier.  I understand that Keene Run is quite a good course as well.  Another I have not been to, but based on what I have heard from multiple people it may slide into the upper third tier as well.

I have played them all  except Idle Hour. Walked it and it's easily #1.

I'd go with:
1. Idle Hour
2. Champion Trace
3. Keene Run
4. Old Silo
5. Lexington CC
6. University Club Big Blue
7. Kearney Hill
8. University Club Wildcat
9. Greenbrier
10. Picadome

Nigel Islam

« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2013, 02:09:20 PM »
Perhaps it was my list in the other thread that started this one...but I'll list my favorites for Indianapolis:

You could probably interchange Broadmoor and Crooked Stick - Broadmoor having better greens, Crooked Stick having more interest off the tee - and you could probably have 4-7 in any of those spots really.  

If you wanna say Rock Hollow is Indianapolis (I wouldn't), I'd put it probably 7 or 8 on the list.

How good are Highland, Woodland, Indianpolis CC, and Hillcrest?

Tom Allen

« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2013, 02:13:58 PM »
I can't go ten deep in Cincinnati, but here is my list. Really, only the first three would I make any effort to play. I would drop everything to play Camargo, make some effort to rearrange things for Hyde Park, and would take an offer to play Clovernook before anything else. After that, if I didn't have to pay I would play them.

Camargo
Hyde Park
Clovernook
Stonelick Hills
Coldstream
Kenwood - Kendale
Maketewah (haven't seen it since a bunch of changes were made a couple of years ago)

Because Steve already took Cincinnati, I'll take Dayton:
NCR
Moraine
Miami Valley Country Club
Dayton Country Club
Country Club of the North
Springfield (a nod to Brian Hoover's mention)
Shaker Run (condition notwithstanding, it is an interesting and fun layout).
Brown's Run (my home course; I HAVE to include it  :)  ).

Nigel Islam

« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2013, 02:25:42 PM »
I can't go ten deep in Cincinnati, but here is my list. Really, only the first three would I make any effort to play. I would drop everything to play Camargo, make some effort to rearrange things for Hyde Park, and would take an offer to play Clovernook before anything else. After that, if I didn't have to pay I would play them.

Camargo
Hyde Park
Clovernook
Stonelick Hills
Coldstream
Kenwood - Kendale
Maketewah (haven't seen it since a bunch of changes were made a couple of years ago)

Steve, I was under the impression that most people hold Maketewah in fairly high regard. My neighbor just played TPC Riverbend and TPC Greenbrier on the same day (not sure why anyone flying around in private jets is in my neighborhood....) and was raving at how he loved Riverbend so much. It was making me physically ill to listen to it. At least he wasn't saying how much better it was than Camargo ???

Josh Tarble

« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2013, 02:27:21 PM »

Woodland is probably the only one that could crack the list...although I haven't played it yet.  I've heard good things, but also heard that when it was redesigned they took out several of the best holes.  

I kind of lump Highland, Indianapolis and Hillcrest all in the same kind of category.  Very old-school walkable layouts and over treed.  There are some good holes on each, nothing too offensive, but nothing really stand out either.

The other worth mentioning may be Eagle Creek Sycamore - it's pretty good as well.  Although I'd love to play the original layout before they put in the additional 18 holes.

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2013, 02:31:37 PM »

Camargo
Hyde Park
Clovernook
Stonelick Hills
Coldstream
Kenwood - Kendale

Because Steve already took Cincinnati, I'll take Dayton:
NCR
Moraine
Miami Valley Country Club
Dayton Country Club
Country Club of the North
Springfield (a nod to Brian Hoover's mention)
Shaker Run (condition notwithstanding, it is an interesting and fun layout).
Brown's Run (my home course; I HAVE to include it  :)  ).

I like Browns Run quite a bit too. Got to include Sycamore Creek in there. Wonderful course. Of the publics I like Yankee Trace best. Dayton has very solid golf!

Nigel Islam

« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2013, 02:37:22 PM »

Woodland is probably the only one that could crack the list...although I haven't played it yet.  I've heard good things, but also heard that when it was redesigned they took out several of the best holes.  

I kind of lump Highland, Indianapolis and Hillcrest all in the same kind of category.  Very old-school walkable layouts and over treed.  There are some good holes on each, nothing too offensive, but nothing really stand out either.

The other worth mentioning may be Eagle Creek Sycamore - it's pretty good as well.  Although I'd love to play the original layout before they put in the additional 18 holes.

Did you ever play the original 18 there? It was quite good. They were ripping up the course as I was moving. The third nine there was pretty week so I was shocked they were going to mix the course up.  Easily was the best city course, and I thought it rivaled Heartland and Prairie View for the next tier below Brickyard, The Fort and Trophee Club of the publics. Alas I have not played Purgatory, Boradmoor, Wolf Run, or MHCC off your original list.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2013, 02:57:03 PM »
Chicago (in no particular order) -

Chicago
Shoreacres
Olympia Fields North
Olympia Fields South
Medinah #3
Butler
Beverly
Skokie
Black Sheep
Knollwood (I expect this choice to be open to debate, but I prefer it to Old Elm, North Shore, Exmoor, Flossmoor, Glen View and the host of moderns that could be substituted.)

Waiting to see if Medinah #1 should be added to the list.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

jeffwarne

« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2013, 03:13:02 PM »
Westchester, NY
In no order except my mind...

Winged Foot West
Winged Foot East
Sleepy Hollow
Quaker Ridge
Hudson National
Sunningdale
Fenway
Wykagyl
Bedford G&T
Century

Best collection of golf courses in proximity in the entire world.  Especially when you consider places like Whiporwill, Old Oaks, Apawamis, Blind Brook, Siwanoy, and Knollwood didn't make your 10.

a great list no doubt, (all great courses and no doubt quite a few gems not mentioned-Bonnie Briar, Scarsdale, Elmwood, Pelham, Ardsley etc.)
I'd be real curious to see how Westchester stacks up to the Heathland courses west of London in both quantity, and quality)
seems a few more high quality in the London area, but I'm weak on experience in that area, and definitely biased towards the texture of a Heathland course
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2013, 03:32:48 PM »
Metro Detroit/Ann Arbor/Toledo

My best estimate below. I haven't played them all. Looking strong after recent renovations.

Franklin Hills
Oakland Hills (South)
Orchard Lake
Inverness
Indianwood (Old)
Barton Hills

CC of Detroit
U of M
Grosse Ile
Radrick Farms
Red Run
Essex
Warwick Hills CC
Sylvania CC
Dearborn CC
Detroit GC
Plum Hollow
Oakland Hills (North)
Bloomfield
Birmingham

R&S Sharf
TPC Dearborn
Wyndgate
Rackham
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Chris DeToro

« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2013, 04:00:42 PM »
We'll call my "city" southwest Michigan:

Lost Dunes
Dunes Club
Point O'Woods
Battle Creek CC
Harbor Shores

Not sure there are many others worth seeing unless you expand northwards...

PCCraig

« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2013, 04:11:57 PM »
What is your list Pat?

Minneapolis-St. Paul Metropolitan Area

Generally speaking, anyone of the below could move up or down three spaces on any given day:

1.   White Bear Yacht Club (Ross)

WBYC is my favorite golf course in Minnesota. It’s really quirky and the greens are crazy, so it’s not everyone’s cup of tea…particularly here in town where some people have thought I was crazy for saying it’s the best course in the state. White Bear is well worth the trip to the area to see.

2.   Interlachen (Watson / Ross)

I think Interlachen is a pretty great golf course. The greens are really neat and there are a handful of fantastic golf holes (#2, 6, 9, 10, 13, 16, 18).

3.   Minikahda (Ross)

I’ve been able to play Minikahda in each of the past three years, the last two as part of the Twin Cities Cup. Each time I play it I enjoy it more and more. GCA’s own Jeff Johnson does an incredible job “presenting” the golf course and keeps it in great shape. There are a lot of really good holes out there and while many people rag on the 15-16-17 triangle as a weakness I think they are awesome and fun holes, perfect for match play.

4.   Town & Country (Ben Schurmeier)

I’m obviously biased, so feel free to call me a homer, but T&C deserves a place on this list especially after the renovation work that will be completed in the middle of next year. All bunkers will be rebuilt (over half are completed already), hundreds of trees have been removed, mowing lines restored, and quite a few new tees have been built (a few new back tees and a few new forward tees). Again, I’m biased, but I think there are a lot of really good holes (#1, #2, #5, #6, #8, #9, #10, #11, #13, #15, #17). A couple of the weaker holes will be much improved once the work is completed, in particular #7 and #14. Of course not everyone loves its blind shots and old-fashioned par sequence, but if you love quirk T&C has its fair share.

5.   Golden Valley (AWT)

I’ve played Golden Valley a few times now and enjoy it. I think there are a bunch of solid, classic Tillinghast-style holes, and no real clunkers (even though #10 is close). Despite the two road crossings and one rail crossing Golden Valley has a great piece of golfing land.

6.   Oak Ridge (William Clark)

The stretch from #12 through #17 is as good as anything as you’ll see in the Twin Cities. Some awesome holes in there (#12 and #13 are incredible). I think there are a few so-so holes on the front side that hold OR back in my “rankings.”

7.   Windsong Farm (Lehman)

Windsong Farm has a cool golf only set-up that I certainly envy. A pretty solid and tough golf course. I think the property is fantastic but I think the designers missed the mark a little bit in that for a “links”/prairie/etc. style course the greens are pushed up too high and with the wind that’s prevalent out there it’s too difficult to hold the greens with mid-to-low irons. I’m likely being too picky but I think other designers would of made the greens more receptive to the ground game.

8.   Hazeltine (RTJ)

I like Hazeltine better than probably anyone here on Golf Club Atlas. It’s hard and it’s a “championship” golf course and it certainly fits the bill. I think #10 and #16 are really great golf holes, but there are one too many dull holes on the front nine for my taste.

9.   Midland Hills (Raynor)

I played Midland Hills for the first time this past summer with Jeff Shelman and really enjoyed it. I think it’s the best of the remaining Raynor courses up here. I think the back nine is really good. I liked the Biarritz and Punchbowl a lot.

10.   Minneapolis (Park/Ross)

MGC is pretty solid and it reminds me a lot of many of the clubs I grew up playing in Chicago (North Shore, Beverly, the old Exmoor, Sunset Ridge, etc.). I think they need to cut down a lot of trees.

11.   Spring Hill (Fazio)

Pretty good Fazio, but I think the land is generally too severe and some of the holes on the back nine suffer from it.

12.   Somerset (Raynor)

Somerset is a really cool, low-key place to play golf. There is an awesome Redan and a pretty good reconstructed Short, but there are a lot of holes that have been ruined over the years by bad Cornish-esque renovation work and way too many trees.

13.   Edina (Bendelow / Lehman)

I never played ECC before Lehman’s work a few years ago but I enjoyed it the one time I played it. I played it with Jeff Shelman and we both agreed that it is a very pleasant course that we’d both be very happy playing everyday. Lehman did a nice job building a lot of interest into a classic course on a pretty boring suburban site.

14.   Keller (Paul Coates)

I really like Keller. It’s a fun, classic muni that’s going to be a lot better once it reopens after Rich Mandell’s renovation next summer.

15.   Wayzata (Harris)

Not many people talk about Wayzata CC (Tim Heron’s home course) but I thought it was a pretty solid mid-1950’s style course (I think Robert Bruce Harris is the designer).There are a couple really awkward holes around ponds but overall it’s a nice course to play.

16.   North Oaks (Stanley Thomson)

I liked North Oaks but other than the 7th and 9th holes I don’t remember anything that really knocked my socks off.

17.   StoneRidge (Bobby Weed)

A pretty solid public Bobby Weed design that has some fun and crazy features. My favorite modern public.

18.   Minnesota Valley (Raynor)

MVCC is a pretty nice course, but with only a little bit of Raynor left. It has an ok Redan and Alps, but the rest of the course is just ok.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:18:25 PM by PCraig »
H.P.S.

Alex Cameron

« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2013, 04:34:51 PM »
To qualify for this list a course must be less than a 30 minute drive my center city Philadelphia apartment, even taking into consideration moderate traffic.

1. Pine Valley
2. Merion East
3. Rolling Green
4. HVCC
5. Philly Cricket
6. Philly Country
7. Aronimink
8. Tavistock
9. Cobbs Creek
10. Whitemarsh Valley
11. ACE Club
12. Llanerch
13. Bala Golf Club - I can hop on the 40 bus on Lombard St and get dropped at the front gate. Haven't done this yet, but it's on my list of things to do while living in Philly.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2013, 04:45:26 PM »

Salt Lake City/Park City

Glenwild
Victory Ranch
Salt Lake CC
Promontory - Nicklaus (painted valley)
Willow Creek CC
Promontory - Dye
Tuhaye
Jeremy Ranch
Park Meadows
Wingpoint (airport course) - benefit of doubt, needs better conditioning

Played pretty much all of these, and think your choice of Nicklaus at Promontory and Tuhaye are way off base. IMO if you substitute red ledges and the Park city municipal, you are right on the money.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »
Washington, DC, the courses--not the clubs/memberships/other, just the courses--in order of my preference of those I've played:

Robert Trent Jones
Congressional Blue  
Columbia
Four Streams
Congressional Gold
Chevy Chase
Burning Tree
Bethesda
Westfields
River Bend

*Haven't played:  Woodmore, Creighton Farms, Lake Presidential, Laurel Hill, renovated TPC Potomac, renovated Manor, renovated Trump National,

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2013, 05:27:57 PM »
What is your list Pat?

Minneapolis-St. Paul Metropolitan Area

Generally speaking, anyone of the below could move up or down three spaces on any given day:

1.   White Bear Yacht Club (Ross)

WBYC is my favorite golf course in Minnesota. It’s really quirky and the greens are crazy, so it’s not everyone’s cup of tea…particularly here in town where some people have thought I was crazy for saying it’s the best course in the state. White Bear is well worth the trip to the area to see.

2.   Interlachen (Watson / Ross)

I think Interlachen is a pretty great golf course. The greens are really neat and there are a handful of fantastic golf holes (#2, 6, 9, 10, 13, 16, 18).

3.   Minikahda (Ross)

I’ve been able to play Minikahda in each of the past three years, the last two as part of the Twin Cities Cup. Each time I play it I enjoy it more and more. GCA’s own Jeff Johnson does an incredible job “presenting” the golf course and keeps it in great shape. There are a lot of really good holes out there and while many people rag on the 15-16-17 triangle as a weakness I think they are awesome and fun holes, perfect for match play.

4.   Town & Country (Ben Schurmeier)

I’m obviously biased, so feel free to call me a homer, but T&C deserves a place on this list especially after the renovation work that will be completed in the middle of next year. All bunkers will be rebuilt (over half are completed already), hundreds of trees have been removed, mowing lines restored, and quite a few new tees have been built (a few new back tees and a few new forward tees). Again, I’m biased, but I think there are a lot of really good holes (#1, #2, #5, #6, #8, #9, #10, #11, #13, #15, #17). A couple of the weaker holes will be much improved once the work is completed, in particular #7 and #14. Of course not everyone loves its blind shots and old-fashioned par sequence, but if you love quirk T&C has its fair share.

5.   Golden Valley (AWT)

I’ve played Golden Valley a few times now and enjoy it. I think there are a bunch of solid, classic Tillinghast-style holes, and no real clunkers (even though #10 is close). Despite the two road crossings and one rail crossing Golden Valley has a great piece of golfing land.

6.   Oak Ridge (William Clark)

The stretch from #12 through #17 is as good as anything as you’ll see in the Twin Cities. Some awesome holes in there (#12 and #13 are incredible). I think there are a few so-so holes on the front side that hold OR back in my “rankings.”

7.   Windsong Farm (Lehman)

Windsong Farm has a cool golf only set-up that I certainly envy. A pretty solid and tough golf course. I think the property is fantastic but I think the designers missed the mark a little bit in that for a “links”/prairie/etc. style course the greens are pushed up too high and with the wind that’s prevalent out there it’s too difficult to hold the greens with mid-to-low irons. I’m likely being too picky but I think other designers would of made the greens more receptive to the ground game.

8.   Hazeltine (RTJ)

I like Hazeltine better than probably anyone here on Golf Club Atlas. It’s hard and it’s a “championship” golf course and it certainly fits the bill. I think #10 and #16 are really great golf holes, but there are one too many dull holes on the front nine for my taste.

9.   Midland Hills (Raynor)

I played Midland Hills for the first time this past summer with Jeff Shelman and really enjoyed it. I think it’s the best of the remaining Raynor courses up here. I think the back nine is really good. I liked the Biarritz and Punchbowl a lot.

10.   Minneapolis (Park/Ross)

MGC is pretty solid and it reminds me a lot of many of the clubs I grew up playing in Chicago (North Shore, Beverly, the old Exmoor, Sunset Ridge, etc.). I think they need to cut down a lot of trees.

11.   Spring Hill (Fazio)

Pretty good Fazio, but I think the land is generally too severe and some of the holes on the back nine suffer from it.

12.   Somerset (Raynor)

Somerset is a really cool, low-key place to play golf. There is an awesome Redan and a pretty good reconstructed Short, but there are a lot of holes that have been ruined over the years by bad Cornish-esque renovation work and way too many trees.

13.   Edina (Bendelow / Lehman)

I never played ECC before Lehman’s work a few years ago but I enjoyed it the one time I played it. I played it with Jeff Shelman and we both agreed that it is a very pleasant course that we’d both be very happy playing everyday. Lehman did a nice job building a lot of interest into a classic course on a pretty boring suburban site.

14.   Keller (Paul Coates)

I really like Keller. It’s a fun, classic muni that’s going to be a lot better once it reopens after Rich Mandell’s renovation next summer.

15.   Wayzata (Harris)

Not many people talk about Wayzata CC (Tim Heron’s home course) but I thought it was a pretty solid mid-1950’s style course (I think Robert Bruce Harris is the designer).There are a couple really awkward holes around ponds but overall it’s a nice course to play.

16.   North Oaks (Stanley Thomson)

I liked North Oaks but other than the 7th and 9th holes I don’t remember anything that really knocked my socks off.

17.   StoneRidge (Bobby Weed)

A pretty solid public Bobby Weed design that has some fun and crazy features. My favorite modern public.

18.   Minnesota Valley (Raynor)

MVCC is a pretty nice course, but with only a little bit of Raynor left. It has an ok Redan and Alps, but the rest of the course is just ok.

Pat, I had T&C bubbling just under my Top ten, and it could easily elbow its way in after we play it together next year and I get a chance to see the changes. Then we'll go out to Stillwater. I've been very remiss in not getting you and Jason and some of the other Minnesota guys out to see the best-kept secret in the Twin Cities.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jason Topp

« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2013, 05:45:43 PM »
If we get Shelman's votes in we will have the authoritative GCA MSP Top Ten List.

John Crowley

« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2013, 06:26:36 PM »
Mpls/St. Paul

Have played most public and all private except Spring Hill.

These courses I most enjoy/enjoyed playing (not a rating or ranking).

Public:
StoneRidge
Como (circa 1958-1970)
Highland (circa 1958- 1970)
Keller (circa 1958 and probably recent)

Private:
White Bear Yacht Club
Windsong Farm GC(current home) (John Fought should get top billing for design)
Minneapolis GC (former home)
Somerset CC
Minikahda CC
Interlachen CC
Oak Ridge CC
Dellwood Hills GC (former home)
Stillwater CC

In Palm Springs/ San Diego.

Stone Eagle
The Palms
The Quarry
Ironwood CC
Westin Mission Hills Gary Player
Cimarron
Tahquitz Creek

Torrey South
Barona Creek
Torrey North

Mac Plumart

« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2013, 06:59:59 PM »
Atlanta

Peachtree...undisputed King of Atlanta golf.

East Lake...history, tradition, and experience demand it be high in the Atlanta hierarchy

Atlanta Athletic Club Highlands, then Riverside...repeat East Lake's reasoning for AAC

Rivermont...if we are just judging the quality of the individual golf holes, Rivermont can hang with any course in Atlanta (and may win)

Atlanta Country Club...really nice place to play golf

Ansley Settindown...great location, ball busting test of golf.  Better players will LOVE this course.

Cherokee Town and Country Club...excellent club, nice course(s), AMAZING golf art collection!

Piedmont Driving Club...excellent piece of property with a very tranquil vibe.

The Standard Club...really solid golf holes, fun to play.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tim Book

« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2013, 07:26:31 PM »
San Diego:

San Diego CC (Wille Watson)
Rancho Santa Fe CC (Max Behr)
Barona Creek (Todd Eckenrode)
La Jolla CC (Billy Bell Sr.)
Torrey Pines North (Billy Bell Jr.)
Torey Pines South (Rees Jones)
Corornado GC (Jack Daray)
Balboa GC (Billy Bell Sr.)
La Costa Legends (Dick Wilson)
The Grand (Tom Fazio)

note: I haven't played any of the second tier CC's in the Rancho Santa Fe area like The Farms, Del Mar CC or Fairbanks Ranch

Pete, another look at America's Finest City

Barona Creek
Rancho Santa Fe CC
The Bridges @ RSF
Torrey Pines (South)
La Jolla CC
Aviara
Maderas
Del Mar CC
Santaluz
Pauma Valley CC

Sean_A

« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2013, 07:26:48 PM »
Metro Detroit/Ann Arbor/Toledo

My best estimate below. I haven't played them all. Looking strong after recent renovations.

Franklin Hills
Oakland Hills (South)
Orchard Lake
Inverness
Indianwood (Old)
Barton Hills

CC of Detroit
U of M
Grosse Ile
Radrick Farms
Red Run
Essex
Warwick Hills CC
Sylvania CC
Dearborn CC
Detroit GC
Plum Hollow
Oakland Hills (North)
Bloomfield
Birmingham

R&S Sharf
TPC Dearborn
Wyndgate
Rackham

Ryan

I can understand why you added Ann Arbor, though it is doubtful I would include it as Metro Detroit,  but why add Toledo?  Jeepers, it must be well over an hour centre to centre and they must be at least 50 miles apart.  

Is Essex the one in Ontario, as in Cananda?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back