News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Sander

Here are some pics from a late fall afternoon at Beverly Country Club in Chicago.

On the way to the 2nd tee looking back at the first green...

The elevated tee shot at par 5 2nd hole. I believe this is also the highest point in Chicago.

Here is a view of the push up 4th green. Not pictured is the devilish back bunker that catches many a long approach...

The attractive, and difficult, par 4 5th with its significant uphill approach...

The tee shot at the downhill par 3 6th is from the same ridge used for the 2nd tee, the 5th green, and the up and over tee shot at the 7th.

Here is the aforementioned tee shot at the par 5 7th.

The approach to the 7th from short of the cross bunkers...

The approach to the par 4 8th hides the massive and rollicking nature of the green. Unfortunately, I didn't get any quality pics of said green.

I'll post some pictures of the back 9 tomorrow.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 10:04:30 PM by Matthew Sander »

Matthew Sander

Re: Late Fall photos of beautiful Beverly Country Club (pictures fixed)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:09:02 PM »
Fixed the pics, sorry for the delay...

JR Potts

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 11:04:30 PM »
When did the Bev go to the white sand?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 01:38:18 AM »
There really isn't anything more alluring than fall days on a golf course, as the photos depict.  We had a brisk mostly sunny day here in Green Bay today as well, and I skipped the first half of the Pack game (nothing much missed as it turns out) and played the last day our course is open.  Beverly looks spectacular, and it looks like you had it pretty much to yourself, as I did with most folks watching football.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 06:08:22 AM »

I think its 2 years ago this fall. Their Asst Supt was a past intern of mine, came over from Olympia Fields with the current Supt. It was one of the first projects they did.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 07:40:09 AM »

I think its 2 years ago this fall. Their Asst Supt was a past intern of mine, came over from Olympia Fields with the current Supt. It was one of the first projects they did.
Tony, that is correct- we redid the bunkers in the fall of 2011. As an aside your pals have Beverly in the best shape I've ever seen it. On Saturday the turf looked great. Sadly the season is about over:(

Mark Smolens

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 04:58:06 PM »
Over? Over? It's not over until we say it's over. . .

That's why they make covers and heaters for golf carts  :D

SL_Solow

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 05:44:49 PM »
Mark;  Something more powerful than us mere mortls makes hard freezes.  That's when a good superintendent says no mas.

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:14:03 PM »
Nice pictures...Beverly is looking good.
H.P.S.

John McCarthy

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 07:42:46 PM »
It was a great fall for golf in Chicago.  Alas work has been nuts.  And it snowed this afternoon.  Now begins the winter of our discontent...
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

William_G

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 08:23:18 PM »
pics look great!
It's all about the golf!

Matthew Sander

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 09:24:05 PM »
Beverly was in impeccable late season shape during our round. It has been a great fall for conditiions in the region. It stayed fairly warm with cool nights for quite a while, which is perfect for the local grasses.

Matthew Sander

Re: Late Fall photos of beautiful Beverly Country Club (all photos posted) New
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Now some photos from Beverly's back nine...

The approach at the par 5 11th from the right rough...

Here is another view of the 11th green with the 12th green in the distance.

The par 3 12th from the tee, the shortest of Beverly's one shotters.

Here, at the short par 4 14th, you can see how the tree removal that took place at Beverly really gives the shaping room to shine.

Another slightly different view of the attractive 14th...

Here is a shot from beside the green showing off the significant back to front slope.

Approaching the long par 4 15th from the left rough...

My favorite hole at Beverly, the par 4 16th...

As seen from the left, the 16th green is benched perfectly into the existing hillside.

Despite not being terribly long, Beverly is a difficult golf course. This is primarily due to the stout par 3s and 5s. Hole 17 is a par 3 that provides plenty of challenge. Often playing 200+ yards, it is placed in an open portion of the course where the full effect of any present wind is felt from the tee.

After walking off the 18th tee, a quick turn to the left will bring this view of hole 14...

The approach to the severely sloped 18th green...

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:19:05 PM by Matthew Sander »

Tim_Cronin

Re: Late Fall photos of beautiful Beverly Country Club (all photos posted)
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 12:50:30 AM »
Always great to see pictures of Beverly. And did you note the train rolling by in the background of the 14th? Just one more tradition at the Bev, along with regular overflights by its native bird, the Southwest Airlines 737.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jordan Wall

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 01:58:27 AM »
Course looks great.

I remember the par-5's were incredible and the 8th green was insane.  Just a great golf course.

Jack, have there been a good amount of Evans Scholars coming from BCC in the past couple of years?

J_ Crisham

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 09:00:12 AM »
Course looks great.

I remember the par-5's were incredible and the 8th green was insane.  Just a great golf course.

Jack, have there been a good amount of Evans Scholars coming from BCC in the past couple of years?
Jordan,   Beverly had 11 new Evans Scholars last year of the 220 awarded nation wide. We currently have 27 young men and women in school across the country including 1 at the new Scholar chapter at Notre Dame. We are very proud of the fact that Beverly also has over 310  Scholar alums - by far the most of any club across the US.
                 We are hosting the Western Amateur in August 2014 . Myself and a group of our Western Am committee members are heading to The Alotian Club tomorrow for a couple of days of meetings/golf. As you may remember , Alotian held the Western Am this past year and by all account was a terrific success. We hope to learn from them. 2014 will be an exciting year at Beverly.
                                                    Wish you well,  jack

Mark Smolens

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 12:23:19 PM »
Mark;  Something more powerful than us mere mortls makes hard freezes.  That's when a good superintendent says no mas.

Shel,

When your regular winter game is a place like Cog Hill #3, the super lets you play year round. There's something cool about having to bounce a seven iron 40 yards short of the frozen green from 150 yards out in order to have a putt.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 03:54:14 PM »
Always great to see pictures of Beverly. And did you note the train rolling by in the background of the 14th? Just one more tradition at the Bev, along with regular overflights by its native bird, the Southwest Airlines 737.

Tim, good catch regarding the train in the pic of 14. I should have noted it in my caption. Not only are the planes and trains ever-present, but there are also neighborhood sounds aplenty at Beverly, especially around the corner where 3, 4, and 5 reside. I'm sure the members wouldn't have it any other way, as it just reinforces Beverly's "city club" feel.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »

Tim, good catch regarding the train in the pic of 14. I should have noted it in my caption. Not only are the planes and trains ever-present, but there are also neighborhood sounds aplenty at Beverly, especially around the corner where 3, 4, and 5 reside. I'm sure the members wouldn't have it any other way, as it just reinforces Beverly's "city club" feel.
Ah yes, the music from the boom boxes across Western Avenue in the Dan Ryan Woods. A tradition unlike any other!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 04:41:53 PM »

Ah yes, the music from the boom boxes across Western Avenue in the Dan Ryan Woods. A tradition unlike any other!
Tim,     If you can concentrate at Bev you can play anywhere! As an aside , we will probably be in touch late Spring for some promo on the Western Am - should be some very exciting top level amateur golf.

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 10:15:10 AM »
Had the chance to play Beverly on Saturday and was very impressed with the course overall.  The greens had a lot of movement to them and were still quick considering its November.  The stretch from 15-18 was pretty tough.  I was also surprised with the strength of the par 5's there.  It will be interesting to see how much different it would play in the middle of the summer when the course is playing fast and firm.  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 10:22:33 AM »
Brilliant use of interesting topography.

The final 8 holes at Beverly are as good a stretch of parkland golf as one can find in the states.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Matthew Sander

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 05:15:39 PM »
Brilliant use of interesting topography.

The final 8 holes at Beverly are as good a stretch of parkland golf as one can find in the states.

Bogey

Bogey,

High praise indeed. I probably don't have a deep enough bench to second the claim, but I will say this much - the finishing stretch at Beverly is every bit as good as it needs to be.

I really like the flow of the holes you mention. There are a couple of breather holes in there, but they are not weak holes by any means. For instance, the 14th is a short 4 where you can make a score, but the green and surrounding bunkers make it anything but a pushover. It is also one of the prettiest holes on the course (IMHO). 15 through 18 is a challenging stretch where good scores are well earned. Also, you have a couple of greens that can accept a lower, running approach (15 and 17), whereas the other two greens (16 and 18) are more of the elevated variety that require more of an aerial approach.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 07:16:27 PM »
Jack,

Really glad to hear Beverly is setting the pedestal for Evans Scholar clubs.  11 just last year is quite impressive!

I'm meeting with the some scholarship green jackets tonight for dinner and a topic of subject will be how to increase the amount of scholars from WA.  We'd love to have 11 next year from the entire state, much less a single club - that is incredible.

Glad you're well,
Jordan

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 08:37:59 PM »
Jordan,
   Beverly is the leader in the clubhouse in how to nurture the caddie scholarship program, as well as caddies themselves. Thereare several endowed scholarships that were funded completely by club members and firms associated by those members. Truly amazing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back