News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Orchard Lake course profile posted ...
« on: November 10, 2013, 12:45:39 PM »
...under Courses by Country and Architecture Timeline.

When performed by the best restorers at the best courses, the quality of a restoration arches toward perfection these days.

At Mid Pines here in Southern Pines, Old Town up the road in Winston Salem, Winged Foot East, Hollywood near the Jersey shore, and at Orchard Lake in Michigan the works of five Golden Age master architects are being transformed into the best that any of these courses has ever been. While there is a dearth of new construction, these are exciting times for restorations. Private clubs keenly feel the pressure to lift their game or be left behind.

Until recently Orchard Lake was not a name on the tip of many people’s tongues. One exception is Mark Saltzman, who was pleasantly surprised by it when he swept through Detroit a couple of years ago. So, the question is: how does a course of this quality fly under the radar? Pretty simple answer: shroud it in trees and undermine its rugged Alison bunkering. Fortunately, the essence of the course remained and a fortuitous concord of club leadership, green keeper and course architect enabled a terrific reincarnation.

Before the work, the course was still fine, particularly appealing to the good player. See the photo below of the second hole taken in 2010 after much of tree work was finished so that the hole could, at least ‘breathe.’ Yet, to my eye, the hole lacked majesty. The bunkers are two dimensional and small without the grandeur of ‘Alisons’.

The second hole at Orchard Lake in 2010

Now, look at my photo below from last month. Beauty abounds. To say that a lot has changed would be a gross understatement. Doesn’t the scene remind you of one of the free flowing courses in San Fran (Cal Club or SFGC)?  In 2000, this was a densely lined, narrow fairway that resembled a bowling alley.

The second hole at Orchard Lake in 2013

Now all golfers find a delightful challenge on the club grounds. Good players have more to think about and the rest of us have more to enjoy. EVERYONE WINS.

Is there any doubt that Alison would love Orchard Lake if he was kicking about today? Though his famous works like Sea Island, Hirono and Milwaukee feature water, Alison grumbled about its use in writing. In some ways, Orchard Lake (ironically devoid of water) may well be the purest expression of Alison. Situated on only 140 acres, I am still trying to figure out why the course feels so big. Alison, as a designer, was no “shrinking violet” and his large bunkers and green pads clearly endow the course scale. That and how every inch of the modest-sized property was put to maximum use remind me of Merion. Both feature epic bunkers cut into landforms that provide a sense of grandeur to eighteen holes spread over a small parcel. Like Merion, it’s hard to imagine a better collection of holes emerging from the land.

Give Keith Foster tons of credit. Wherever he goes – Eastward Ho!, Southern Hills, Philly Cricket, Sands Point, Five Farms, here – he delivers big time. The passion and support of Green Keeper Aaron McMaster and his crew helped put this at the top of transformations.

On Halloween 2003, Matt Burrows, then at Myopia Hunt, told me about Orchard Lake. Having grown up in Detroit, Matt knew the region and he has as sharp an eye for architecture as anyone. His words were to the effect that the bones were excellent and the course just needed to be exposed. I filed the name away; Ron Whitten 'tweeted' compliments about it earlier this year and re-kindled my interest. Ten years after first learning of Orchard Lake, coincidentally near Halloween, I made it there. Though these gentlemen spoke about wildly different courses  (the ‘before’ and ‘after’ versions), they were both spot on.

Members, their guests and the game of golf all win when clubs make smart decisions and hire smart people. This is that story for Orchard Lake, a discrete club in the northern suburbs with a newly fabulous Golden Age design.

Best,

Terry Lavin

Re: Orchard Lake course profile posted ...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:10:19 AM »
I just found a reason to visit Detroit!  The Foster renovation reminds me a lot of his work at Knollwood Club in suburban Chicago, a verrrry underrated track.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »
Ran:

Your comment on Orchard Lake should be a required read for Boards of Directors and Greens Committees of every club in the country. I am continually perplexed by the resistance to tree removal when the results can be so dramatic. Alison bunkers don't hurt either.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:24:56 PM by Jeff Bergeron »

Niall Hay

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 12:36:24 AM »
Posts and course profiles like this are what make GCA.com the best website in the world to learn about and discuss Golf Course Architecture.  Well done as always Ran.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 12:23:44 PM »
Thanks for another wonderful profile.  The 18th alone looks worth a trip to see.

Hope you go to see Glens Falls NY in 2014.  Would love to see your write-up on that one.

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 10:03:16 AM »
Seems like the Metro Detroit/Ann Arbor area is pretty under the radar with a bunch of good to very good golf.  Guess this is due to the proximity to both Northern Michigan and Chicago, but it's not clear to me that it deserves to be playing third fiddle.  
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Seems like the Metro Detroit/Ann Arbor area is pretty under the radar with a bunch of good to very good golf.

I would classify Metro Detroit/Ann Arbor as very good. (especially if you like Ross) A pretty stout top 5-6 w/ Orchard Lake and Barton renovations.

My best estimate below. I haven't played them all.

Franklin Hills
Oakland Hills (South)
Orchard Lake
Inverness
Indianwood (Old)
Barton Hills

CC of Detroit
U of M
Grosse Ile
Radrick Farms
Red Run
Essex
Warwick Hills CC
Sylvania CC
Dearborn CC
Detroit GC
Plum Hollow
Oakland Hills (North)
Bloomfield
Birmingham

R&S Sharf
TPC Dearborn
Wyndgate
Rackham
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

mark chalfant

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 01:40:59 PM »
Ran,

Thanks so much for showing yet another inspired routing from Charles Alison. Metro Detroit and southeast Michigan are blessed with some
exemplary works of golf course design !  Colt & Alison had an office in Detroit's lofty Penobscot Building. Happily the Penobscot, and the splendid  Art Deco Guardian building still stand.  

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 06:38:28 AM »
Just for clarity, Alison was always known by friends and family by his middle name, 'Hugh'.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall Hay

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 01:15:33 PM »
Interesting to see the contrast between Ran and Mark’s pictures….

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51441.0.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back